Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > Ex-International Player Forum
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st January 2016, 17:21   #2361
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,510
Batting seems more tricky again currently. Although a few Aussie batsmen have piled on the runs at home only a handle of younger players have scored freely around the world. Perhaps when there weren't so many easy attacks on flat wickets to take advantage of, Bell was just found out.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2016, 17:25   #2362
stevieh
World Class
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Team(s): England, Kent, Canada
Posts: 6,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer View Post
Irrelevant and unnecessary to the current discussion.
Not really, if he were to decide now is a good time to write an expose of a book.
stevieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2016, 17:32   #2363
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 23,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Batting seems more tricky again currently. Although a few Aussie batsmen have piled on the runs at home only a handle of younger players have scored freely around the world. Perhaps when there weren't so many easy attacks on flat wickets to take advantage of, Bell was just found out.
Some crud defensive techniques have contributed to this rather than as a result of a glut of fine bowlers coming through in the last 5 years or so for me. As a whole test cricket seems in real trouble to me.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2016, 17:44   #2364
greyblazer
County Pro
 
greyblazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 991
And as a result of some sporting tracks or whatever you want to call them as.
greyblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2016, 17:58   #2365
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 23,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyblazer View Post
And as a result of some sporting tracks or whatever you want to call them as.
This is true up to a point. However some horrible batting has contributed to this cf the recent Ashes and India v SA series. I do not believe that the Edgbaston/Trent Bridge pitches were quite the minefields that some batsmen made them look and don't forget that SA crumbled in Mohali and also in Delhi on pitches that weren't on the level of Nagpur.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2016, 18:06   #2366
cg3
County 1st Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 438
On the point of Gooch/Bell type differences - statistically speaking a simple but crude measure might be to compare a batsman's average with the mean batting average during his playing career (or perhaps the mean batting average for top 7 players).

I'm sure Gabe would be able to come up with something more sophisticated, or he might already have done something on this.
cg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2016, 18:22   #2367
Goochies Lovechild
Club Cricketer
 
Goochies Lovechild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Essex
Age: 74
Posts: 169
Without reading the whole tread I have to say I am not missing Ian Bell in the SA series - His lack of appetite for when the going gets tough, his arrogant smirk and lack of results will not be wasted on me

Compton and more specifically Joe Root has shown how the game has moved on leaving him in the wake

IPL teams are fighting for him.......

Not

GLC
__________________
GL

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!

The statement below is true.
The statement above is false
Goochies Lovechild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2016, 18:31   #2368
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
This is true up to a point. However some horrible batting has contributed to this cf the recent Ashes and India v SA series. I do not believe that the Edgbaston/Trent Bridge pitches were quite the minefields that some batsmen made them look and don't forget that SA crumbled in Mohali and also in Delhi on pitches that weren't on the level of Nagpur.
True but I think these things are cyclical to a degree. We've lost a glut of great or very good batsmen and big personalities from pretty much every side in the past five years who haven't been fully replaced -

Eng- KP, Trott, Bell, Strauss
SL - Sangakkara, Jayawardene, Dilshan
Ind - SRT, Dravid, Laxman, Sehwag, Dhoni
Aus - Ponting, Clarke, Hussey
SA - Smith, Kallis
WI - Shiv
Pak - will soon lose Younis and Misbah
NZ - about to lose McCullum

Lots of teams have had to assemble inexperienced batting lineups, which means the struggles of one or two new batsmen has a multiplying effect on the pressure faced by others. Not only that, some important leaders have also gone or are about to (Strauss, Dhoni, Ponting, Clarke, Smith, Misbah, Younus).

We talk of the difficulties a side faces when it suffers multiple retirements, the game as a whole will take time to recover.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 12:38   #2369
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 23,696
I know that it has been mentioned on the Warks thread already, but with Bell taking the captaincy there does this mean that he probably doesn't see it too likely that he's going to get a recall to England colours? I still think that we may see a more productive Bell at 5 but it may well be that England are looking beyond him.
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 13:05   #2370
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 26,981
I'm surprised you haven't moved this thread to the domestic board already.

The timing of this move (just after England toppled the number one test ranked side in their backyard) is no coincidence and with Taylor looking a superior fielder there really can be no way back and it's time for everyone to "move on".
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 13:18   #2371
CDogg16
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 4,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
I'm surprised you haven't moved this thread to the domestic board already.

The timing of this move (just after England toppled the number one test ranked side in their backyard) is no coincidence and with Taylor looking a superior fielder there really can be no way back and it's time for everyone to "move on".
I wouldn't close the door just yet. Compton, Bell's replacement, hasn't pulled up any trees. Still question marks over Taylor at Test level. Much has been made of Bell's average of 43 but that's still better than most of the line up. If he had been told his career was over he would have retired from intonation all cricket.
CDogg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 15:07   #2372
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 41,744
Congratulations to Bell on being made Warwickshire captain. It was likely to happen eventually but the appointment now does suggest Bell has come to terms with being a former England player. However there's still a chance of him playing another test or two, perhaps in case of injury, and taking away better memories than of 2015. I agree with most people that it would have to be at 5. The Warwickshire captaincy will boost his confidence and he's always led the Bears very well.
__________________
As balanced and focused as the next man
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 15:17   #2373
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 41,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
I'm surprised you haven't moved this thread to the domestic board already.

The timing of this move (just after England toppled the number one test ranked side in their backyard) is no coincidence and with Taylor looking a superior fielder there really can be no way back and it's time for everyone to "move on".
Bell used to be every bit as good a short leg fielder as Taylor, and was generally excellent elsewhere in the field. It's a shame that he gave up short leg due to back or knees or something, and strange that with his agility and safe hands elsewhere he found it so difficult in the slips.

There are several former England players with their own threads on this board. They retain the accolade of having been England players for the rest of their lives. There's absolutely no need to move this thread.
__________________
As balanced and focused as the next man
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 16:00   #2374
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 26,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer View Post
Bell used to be every bit as good a short leg fielder as Taylor, and was generally excellent elsewhere in the field. It's a shame that he gave up short leg due to back or knees or something, and strange that with his agility and safe hands elsewhere he found it so difficult in the slips.
Bell used (past tense) to be a good short leg. But I'm not sure he ever pulled off catches as good as the two Taylor made at Jo'burg. They were quite something.

I'll be watching with interest to see if he develops into the best short leg since Logie (I'm too young for Eknath Solkar or Brian Close) or if it was a one-off, like Cook in the gully in NZ.

Quote:
There are several former England players with their own threads on this board. They retain the accolade of having been England players for the rest of their lives. There's absolutely no need to move this thread.
That may be, but the point is that Chin is mischievous.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 21:29   #2375
Fatslogger
Self Confessed Mentalist
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hitchin
Team(s): England and Liverpool
Age: 41
Posts: 43,272
Bell catching Langer off Giles at Old Trafford in the 2005 Ashes, having danced down parallel to the batsman was extremely special.
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Fatslogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 09:15   #2376
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 26,981
As good as that?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 12:29   #2377
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 41,744
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/cricke...t-short-132194

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fORdOtzwRYk

Taylor is building on his fore-runner as a specialist short leg fielder. Since Bell relinquished the role nobody else has made the position his own until now.
__________________
As balanced and focused as the next man
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 13:00   #2378
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 26,981
Thanks for that MF. It's easy to forget what a good player for England Geraint Jones was.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 13:20   #2379
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 41,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
Thanks for that MF. It's easy to forget what a good player for England Geraint Jones was.


That was the Old Trafford test where on the Saturday afternoon after the rain break he dropped 5 catches (or so it seemed) and missed two stumpings (absolute fact).
__________________
As balanced and focused as the next man
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 19:25   #2380
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 23,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
Bell used (past tense) to be a good short leg. But I'm not sure he ever pulled off catches as good as the two Taylor made at Jo'burg. They were quite something.

I'll be watching with interest to see if he develops into the best short leg since Logie (I'm too young for Eknath Solkar or Brian Close) or if it was a one-off, like Cook in the gully in NZ.



That may be, but the point is that Chin is mischievous.
I might just have plans for both the Bell and Anderson thread if you are challenging me!
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:25.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org