Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > England
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th December 2007, 10:14   #21
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 26,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Druid Nathan Barley View Post
Send for Pratt!
The ECB wouldn't sanction it for financial reasons. Apparently it costs 50 grand for each player to tour, so a specialist fielder is out of the question, although the man who told me this, the chairman of selectors obviously represents excellent value.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 11:10   #22
sharky
Legendary
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 9,937
The keeper should be the standard barer and in this match Prior's decision making has been poor at a couple of crucial stages and that rubs off on the team (although a couple of chances had already gone down before then). It is a brand new slip cordon and there is no relationship there so Prior has to take the diving catches. I think Cook has been alright and has very little chance with any of the ones he has dropped close in, but ideally he should be a slipper. Pietersen should be tried at slip imo, with Colly at third and Bell at gully.

The decision not to take Strauss has been a poor one for me, but probably that's for another thread. The fact that they will have had 15 days of Test cricket in 22, in which England have fielded for extraordinary amounts of time on flat, unpenetrative pitches in hot weather must have taken their toll. Maybe it is too much for the keeper to field for enormous amounts of overs plus save Test matches, and Read would have been a better choice as he wouldn't have batted for such long periods? Though they knew the hot conditions before they came out and should have been prepared for it. They would have got stuffed in this series anyway but they haven't helped themselves, at least they are getting a specialist fielding coach in but you have to wonder why they didn't have one earlier.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 11:16   #23
Baron Shakattak Greenback
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: London
Team(s): Notts, England, Shakib-al-Hasan
Posts: 2,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
Maybe it is too much for the keeper to field for enormous amounts of overs plus save Test matches, and Read would have been a better choice as he wouldn't have batted for such long periods?
Made me laugh.
Baron Shakattak Greenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 11:32   #24
Kim
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
The keeper should be the standard barer and in this match Prior's decision making has been poor at a couple of crucial stages and that rubs off on the team (although a couple of chances had already gone down before then). It is a brand new slip cordon and there is no relationship there so Prior has to take the diving catches. I think Cook has been alright and has very little chance with any of the ones he has dropped close in, but ideally he should be a slipper. Pietersen should be tried at slip imo, with Colly at third and Bell at gully.

The decision not to take Strauss has been a poor one for me, but probably that's for another thread. The fact that they will have had 15 days of Test cricket in 22, in which England have fielded for extraordinary amounts of time on flat, unpenetrative pitches in hot weather must have taken their toll. Maybe it is too much for the keeper to field for enormous amounts of overs plus save Test matches, and Read would have been a better choice as he wouldn't have batted for such long periods? Though they knew the hot conditions before they came out and should have been prepared for it. They would have got stuffed in this series anyway but they haven't helped themselves, at least they are getting a specialist fielding coach in but you have to wonder why they didn't have one earlier.

But thats slightly circular isnt it? They've fielded so long partly/mainly (here) because theyve fielded so badly.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 16:24   #25
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 41,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
The keeper should be the standard barer and in this match.
Oh please, no. Looking at Prior's face is bad enough.
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 16:46   #26
Kim
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer View Post
Oh please, no. Looking at Prior's face is bad enough.



Your comment on the end of the world programme ("he says optmistically") made me laugh too,
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 19:31   #27
Psyduck
Posting God
 
Psyduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester
Team(s): England, Lancashire, Man Utd
Posts: 15,111
It shows how badly England have fielded on this tour that I actually found myself thinking the unthinkable today - we miss Ashley Giles. The catch Cook shelled in the gully off Dilshan was the type of catch he used to pouch on a regular basis.
Psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 21:06   #28
Fatslogger
Self Confessed Mentalist
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hitchin
Team(s): England and Liverpool
Age: 41
Posts: 43,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyduck View Post
It shows how badly England have fielded on this tour that I actually found myself thinking the unthinkable today - we miss Ashley Giles. The catch Cook shelled in the gully off Dilshan was the type of catch he used to pouch on a regular basis.
Before Kim says it, he has a far better record in Sri Lanka than Panesar too.
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Fatslogger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2007, 19:43   #29
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 23,436
I do think that not only did England struggle through lack of specialist slip fielders and yes the wicket keeper issue I believe that England wilted in the humidity and heat out there. Trust me it was difficult watching the game at times in the stands/ terrace bank and I think that after a while they just couldn't focus. Even so pretty woeful.

As well as that what is all this hurling the ball in when there's no chance of a run out. It cost countless overthrows and released the pressure on their batsmen as well as contributing to dropping heads. Completely unneccessary!
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 04:54   #30
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 754 Wagner 118 TCurran 247 SCurran 99 Cummins 85
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 19,755
Dropped catches in 20/20s from Cricinfo commentary

5 - Morgan, Kieswetter
4 - Wright
3 - Swann
2 - Pietersen, Collingwood, Prior, Broad, Bresnan, Bopara, Bairstow
1 - Joyce, GJones, Schofield, Mascarenhas, Anderson, Trescothick, Denly, Khan, Lewis, Yardy, Sidebottom, Dernbach, Buttler, Lumb, Finn

Catches dropped off their bowling

9 - Swann
6 - Dernbach
5 - Broad
3 - Mascarenhas, Collingwood, Sidebottom
2 - Snape, Anderson, Yardy, Wright
1 - Harmison, Plunkett, Gough, Flintoff, Schofield, Bresnan, Shahzad
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 21:56   #31
Fatslogger
Self Confessed Mentalist
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hitchin
Team(s): England and Liverpool
Age: 41
Posts: 43,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
Dropped catches in 20/20s from Cricinfo commentary

5 - Morgan, Kieswetter
4 - Wright
3 - Swann
2 - Pietersen, Collingwood, Prior, Broad, Bresnan, Bopara, Bairstow
1 - Joyce, GJones, Schofield, Mascarenhas, Anderson, Trescothick, Denly, Khan, Lewis, Yardy, Sidebottom, Dernbach, Buttler, Lumb, Finn

Catches dropped off their bowling

9 - Swann
6 - Dernbach
5 - Broad
3 - Mascarenhas, Collingwood, Sidebottom
2 - Snape, Anderson, Yardy, Wright
1 - Harmison, Plunkett, Gough, Flintoff, Schofield, Bresnan, Shahzad
Did you go through ball by ball of every England T20I or is there a way of filtering for drops?
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Fatslogger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 22:50   #32
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 754 Wagner 118 TCurran 247 SCurran 99 Cummins 85
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 19,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatslogger View Post
Did you go through ball by ball of every England T20I or is there a way of filtering for drops?
Yes ball by ball.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2012, 15:41   #33
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 754 Wagner 118 TCurran 247 SCurran 99 Cummins 85
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 19,755
A record of dropped catches this summer (from Cricinfo commentary)
(bowler, batsman and runs at the time, catch dropped by, runs made from dropped catch)

1 Anderson - Bravo 29 - Swann - 0
2 Broad - Barath 2 - Bresnan - 22
3 Anderson - Edwards 1 - Bresnan - 6
4 Broad - Roach 0 - Swann - 7
5 Swann - Samuels 58 - Cook 18
6 Onions - Barath 4 - Bell
7 Finn - Barath 40 - Bell - 37
8 Finn - Sammy 14 - Strauss 2
9 Finn - Ramdin 69 - Pietersen 38
10 Bopara - Amla 40 - Strauss 271
11 Anderson - Peterson 29 - Cook 153
12 Broad - de Villiers 39 - Anderson 8
13 Bresnan - Smith 44 - Anderson 8
14 Pietersen - de Villiers 23 - Anderson 21
15 Broad - Amla 2 - Prior - 3
16 Swann - de Villiers 8 - Anderson 35
17 Swann - Rudolph 6 - Strauss 5
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2012, 20:51   #34
Minor Maggie
Buttleresque
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Lancashire, England
Posts: 26,598
Just shows how bad Jimmy was towards the end of the summer!
Minor Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2012, 23:36   #35
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 754 Wagner 118 TCurran 247 SCurran 99 Cummins 85
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 19,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor Maggie View Post
Just shows how bad Jimmy was towards the end of the summer!
I think Anderson should go back to his old position at mid on/off. Cook, Swann and Trott as the three slips. Broad back to his old place where Trott used to be. Pietersen in slip to Swann and Patel.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 01:26   #36
sanskritsimon
Legendary
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 9,488
I'm surprised there are still catches dropped now that Monty's not in the team.
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 09:11   #37
beefy
World Class
 
beefy's Avatar
Bulldog spirit
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London Town
Team(s): England & Arsenal
Posts: 7,352
Have always maintained Anderson's fielding was vastly overated. Sky and some on here rave about it like he's a Randall or Rhodes. He is a good fielder, particularly for a bowler, but his fielding ability has always been very overhyped imo (que fanclub backlash).
__________________
ENGLAND; Ashes holders, World Champions and the Number One cricket team in World Cricket.
beefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 09:15   #38
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 23,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by beefy View Post
Have always maintained Anderson's fielding was vastly overated. Sky and some on here rave about it like he's a Randall or Rhodes. He is a good fielder, particularly for a bowler, but his fielding ability has always been very overhyped imo.
That's not quite true beefy, we used to take the micky out of him and of course his erm more dedicated fans by reckoning he was a specialist fielder at a time when he wasn't bowling up to true international standard but I don't think we were referring to him as being at Rhodes's level.

As well as that, there is more of a question mark over his slip fielding ability as, a) he's not been so hot there in the last year and b) it seems at least partially an idea to have him moving around less in between bowling to keep him fresh as he's getting on.

Oh and ps, the second and third part of your signature is out of date!
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 10:44   #39
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 15,682
Anderson is a good out-fielder, thats for sure, but not a natural slipper, surely.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 12:04   #40
JG_
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sheffield
Team(s): Yorkshire, England
Posts: 2,067
Where does Compton field?
JG_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:05.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org