Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > England
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th May 2015, 17:30   #141
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 15,691
Broad's career stats are unreliable.

The stats that show Broad's career stats are unreliable are also unreliable.

The stats of other bowlers that suggest that they are inferior to Broad are also unreliable.

The testimony and opinions of those who've watched Broad and passed their judgement (with one exception) are also unreliable.

Therefore it is not possible to possess an evidence -based opinion on Broad (with one exception).

The exception is the only reliable judgement we can make.

The above statement is unreliable.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 20:47   #142
D/L
World Class
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 6,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
Maybe you can't prove it because the facts suggest that he's more unlucky than most?

I mean he's had more catches dropped off his bowling than Jimmy, for starters.
Would those be the facts according to you?

The point about the difficulty of chances was made above and it was a good one.

However, as usual, you base your views entirely on the numbers with no regard to anything else.
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2015, 10:36   #143
ConfusedMale
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 2,894
What exactly should we base our views on?
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2015, 11:03   #144
D/L
World Class
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 6,046
Eyesight?
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2015, 11:10   #145
ConfusedMale
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 2,894
So, I can form an opinion of a player only if I have watched him play - not if I read about it or looked up their stats, etc. Tough on a player if I end up watching one bad match he has and then form a poor opinion of him.
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2015, 11:13   #146
D/L
World Class
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 6,046
Strange conclusion. You can form any opinion you want but most would only express an opinion if they considered they had sufficient evidence on which to base it.
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2015, 16:41   #147
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 26,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by D/L View Post
Strange conclusion. You can form any opinion you want but most would only express an opinion if they considered they had sufficient evidence on which to base it.
You're not like most people though.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2015, 21:11   #148
Fatslogger
Self Confessed Mentalist
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hitchin
Team(s): England and Liverpool
Age: 41
Posts: 43,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
You're not like most people though.
I'm pretty sure he considers it's sufficient evidence.
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Fatslogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2015, 11:01   #149
D/L
World Class
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 6,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by D/L View Post
Strange conclusion. You can form any opinion you want but most would only express an opinion if they considered they had sufficient evidence on which to base it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
You're not like most people though.
I bow to your knowledge of myself and most people. It would seem to be more extensive than your knowledge of most other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatslogger View Post
I'm pretty sure he considers it's sufficient evidence.
Sitting at your computer and chirping from the side lines at that time on a Friday night? Nothing better to do?
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 13:53   #150
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 26,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
He did. I think he had only 1 catch dropped against India. He's had most of his wickets caught keeper, lbw and bowled in the last year so maybe why hardly any dropped catches.

Since Collingwood retired 2011 (updated)

Drops

24 - Prior
21 - Swann
17 - Cook
13 - Anderson
12 - Bell
11 - Strauss
7 - Bresnan, Root
6 - Trott
4 - Pietersen, Panesar, Broad
3 - Finn, Ballance
2 - Tremlett, Bairstow, Jordan, Tredwell, Buttler
1 - Morgan, Elstone, Ali, Carberry, Plunkett, Woakes

Bowlers who had catches dropped

40 - Broad
33 - Anderson
31 - Swann
10 - Bresnan
5 - Tremlett, Finn, Panesar
4 - Stokes, Jordan
3 - Plunkett, Root
2 - Patel
1 - Bopara, Onions, Pietersen, Ali, Woakes, Tredwell
Strike another drop up off Stokes' bowling.

Bell with the drop.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 17:04   #151
Psyduck
Posting God
 
Psyduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester
Team(s): England, Lancashire, Man Utd
Posts: 15,111
Why the hell is Ian Bell fielding at second slip when Adam Lyth is in the team?
Psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 17:50   #152
stevieh
World Class
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Team(s): England, Kent, Canada
Posts: 6,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyduck View Post
Why the hell is Ian Bell fielding at second slip when Adam Lyth is in the team?
New boy has to field at short leg? Cook's recipe number 19 says.
stevieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 18:27   #153
YAMS
Banned
 
YAMS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyduck View Post
Why the hell is Ian Bell fielding at second slip when Adam Lyth is in the team?
'Fielding' is a generous description.

He's occasionally crouching there no doubt. Fielding? Hopeful.
__________________
Available via PM.
YAMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 18:59   #154
slop
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): South Africa
Age: 41
Posts: 18,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieh View Post
New boy has to field at short leg? Cook's recipe number 19 says.
I thought Bell fields under the helmet even in his seniority. And usually pretty well. Odd for that to be the change.
slop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 19:36   #155
Psyduck
Posting God
 
Psyduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester
Team(s): England, Lancashire, Man Utd
Posts: 15,111
He's the best short leg I've ever seen for England but one of the worst slip catchers. Lyth comes with a reputation for being excellent in the slips. It's not rocket science is it?
Psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 20:17   #156
YAMS
Banned
 
YAMS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyduck View Post
It's not rocket science is it?
Predictably it is for England. Send for the Aussie!
__________________
Available via PM.
YAMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 21:11   #157
Minor Maggie
Buttleresque
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Lancashire, England
Posts: 26,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAMS View Post
Predictably it is for England. Send for the Aussie!
He is slipping for Ali, was worried Jimmy would be sent back there in the absence of Jordan and Trott.
Minor Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 22:12   #158
YAMS
Banned
 
YAMS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor Maggie View Post
He is slipping for Ali, was worried Jimmy would be sent back there in the absence of Jordan and Trott.
How the hell do you manage to crowbar Jimmy in to this topic?

I'm almost in awe.
__________________
Available via PM.
YAMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 22:13   #159
Psyduck
Posting God
 
Psyduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester
Team(s): England, Lancashire, Man Utd
Posts: 15,111
On the subject of slip catchers has Captain Cook ever explained why Chris Jordan (the best slip catcher in the team by an absolute country mile) wasn't fielding at slip during the Barbados test? I seem to remember Joe Root shelled a pretty straight forward catch and everyone wondered why Jordan wasn't fielding there.
Psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 22:27   #160
YAMS
Banned
 
YAMS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,332
Fascinating topic slip fielders & slip fielding.

Was my main position for 10+ years with one team of a certain standard. I moved to a higher level & naturally ended up there early on in the season, was pretty content until the first knick slammed in to my right shoulder.

Went to mid off rather quickly after that.
__________________
Available via PM.
YAMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:40.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org