Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th September 2008, 22:42   #41
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 41,619
The award ceremony is being shown on Sky Sports 3 right now. It's a bundle of laughs. Nasser Hussain is the MC and Jonathan Ross he ain't. Stuart Broad was there, he's just been interviewed for about 15 seconds.
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 23:08   #42
James Zebrorter
The True Hero of Essex
 
James Zebrorter's Avatar
In a time of need. A new spearhead will arrive
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Glasgow
Team(s): AFC Hornchurch, Essex, England
Age: 33
Posts: 18,318
Shiv deserved his award in my opinion (he had a ridiculously good year) and you can't argue with Sri Lanka taking the SoC award when their main challengers were the cheating scum of New Zealand who deliberately made Paul Collingwood look bad.

Gilo's Doosra also makes a salient point (and it's not about Chris Read).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Druid Nathan Barley View Post
I'm fully aware of his thinking, which merely underlines the point that he's an idiot.
James Zebrorter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 23:32   #43
Midnight
World Class
 
Midnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Australia
Posts: 7,879
NZ's nightmare then would be Sidebottom and Steyn bowling in tandem.
Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 00:36   #44
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 774 Wagner 118 TCurran 5 SCurran 0 Cummins 85
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer View Post
The award ceremony is being shown on Sky Sports 3 right now. It's a bundle of laughs. Nasser Hussain is the MC and Jonathan Ross he ain't. Stuart Broad was there, he's just been interviewed for about 15 seconds.
Did you notice that the lighting had to be very low as there were hardly any players there. They had a lot of empty tables. They also couldn't call the ODI team and Test team on stage on present their caps like they usually do. The ceremony didn't have any atmosphere at all because most of the players had better things to do or maybe the ICC couldn't afford to fly more than a half a dozen players out there.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 07:04   #45
Minor Maggie
Buttleresque
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Lancashire, England
Posts: 26,632
Sibo could have been there instead he was in the Notts dressing room watching them lose to Lancs on Wednesday.
Minor Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 08:25   #46
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 23,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatslogger View Post
Everyone else meaning Sri Lanka away and SA at home, you mean? You make it sound like he's played about 5 other nations. He had shocking luck in Sri Lanka against a good batting side on dead tracks. Against SA he had to bowl at Lords, another dead track. It's not his fault he played 6 tests against NZ and only 5 against the other two sides either. Did Anderson do a little better against NZ too, do you think? Oh, funnily enough, Anderson averaged worse against Sri Lanka (83.5 v 63.6); South African (33.9 v 32.3) and New Zealand away (35.4 v 17.1), marginally better against NZ here (19.3 v 20.5).
He'd have also averaged a darn sight better v Sri Lanka and India last summer if it wasn't for shocking wicket-keeping.
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 15:03   #47
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 41,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastBowlersUnion View Post
Did you notice that the lighting had to be very low as there were hardly any players there. They had a lot of empty tables. They also couldn't call the ODI team and Test team on stage on present their caps like they usually do. The ceremony didn't have any atmosphere at all because most of the players had better things to do or maybe the ICC couldn't afford to fly more than a half a dozen players out there.
Yes I noticed the empty tables as well. If those people hadn't turned up, surely it was better for them not to set out so many tables? Or maybe they left the room because Nasser was so boring. It certainly wasn't a sparkling occasion - I didn't watch much of it. I think the ones who did turn up went because of the shopping.
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 15:23   #48
Ash
Established International
 
Ash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lahore
Team(s): England & Essex
Posts: 3,484
The awards will be shown on a channel at 9pm here(5 in England)

And if they are boring I may not watch. How long are they anyway????
__________________
It takes one to know one.
Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 15:25   #49
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 41,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
The awards will be shown on a channel at 9pm here(5 in England)

And if they are boring I may not watch. How long are they anyway????
About an hour. I wouldn't bother if I were you. We already know the results.
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 15:26   #50
Ash
Established International
 
Ash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lahore
Team(s): England & Essex
Posts: 3,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer View Post
About an hour. I wouldn't bother if I were you. We already know the results.
Of course, you are right. I wont bother really...
__________________
It takes one to know one.
Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 15:29   #51
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 41,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
Of course, you are right. I wont bother really...
I expect you'll watch the first 10 minutes just to see if I'm right...
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 15:30   #52
Ash
Established International
 
Ash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lahore
Team(s): England & Essex
Posts: 3,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer View Post
I expect you'll watch the first 10 minutes just to see if I'm right...
Maybe I will if I don't have anything else to do.
__________________
It takes one to know one.
Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 16:00   #53
Aidan11
Harmisonesque
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere cold and wet
Posts: 39,321
I don't watch any awards programmes.

Back slapping, self gratifying crap.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northantsfanone View Post
Speaking to Geoff Cook today they may released Mark Wood from Durham. He rates him but the kid has had an operation and maybe one too many bowlers on the books type deal.
Aidan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 16:10   #54
Greatbatch
Established International
 
Greatbatch's Avatar
Easy Southee
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): NZ
Posts: 4,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebrina the Teenage Witch View Post
Shiv deserved his award in my opinion (he had a ridiculously good year) and you can't argue with Sri Lanka taking the SoC award when their main challengers were the cheating scum of New Zealand who deliberately made Paul Collingwood look bad.

Gilo's Doosra also makes a salient point (and it's not about Chris Read).
Well ZtTW I can argue with Sri Lanka taking the SoC award, in fact I already have earlier in this thread. As I have already suggested it must be some sort of ICC conspiracy to deny NZ the SoC award when we are clearly much nicer, fairer etc. than any other country including those nasty Sri Lankans.

Nice attempt though to paint us as cheating scum making Collingwood look bad, however as everyone knows it would be impossible to make Collingwood look any more bad than he already makes himself look. It's also no coincidence that 'cheating scum' sounds a lot like Collingwood if you say it really quickly. Go on try it.
Greatbatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 17:11   #55
James Zebrorter
The True Hero of Essex
 
James Zebrorter's Avatar
In a time of need. A new spearhead will arrive
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Glasgow
Team(s): AFC Hornchurch, Essex, England
Age: 33
Posts: 18,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatbatch View Post
Well ZtTW I can argue with Sri Lanka taking the SoC award, in fact I already have earlier in this thread. As I have already suggested it must be some sort of ICC conspiracy to deny NZ the SoC award when we are clearly much nicer, fairer etc. than any other country including those nasty Sri Lankans.

Nice attempt though to paint us as cheating scum making Collingwood look bad, however as everyone knows it would be impossible to make Collingwood look any more bad than he already makes himself look. It's also no coincidence that 'cheating scum' sounds a lot like Collingwood if you say it really quickly. Go on try it.
Nice try yourself sir, but it was obviously a New Zealandish ploy to undermine our Greatest Ever ODI Captain* in order to win the series. That's not with in the spirit of cricket at all. Admit it!

*this phrase courtesy of Collingwood 5
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Druid Nathan Barley View Post
I'm fully aware of his thinking, which merely underlines the point that he's an idiot.
James Zebrorter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 17:22   #56
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 41,619
I have to agree with Zebras that the NZ behaviour on the balcony, booing etc was unacceptable behaviour. Ellliott was run out, whatever the unfortunate circumstances, and England were in their rights to claim the wicket. It may not have been very sporting, but it was not illegal. Where Colly went wrong was to claim afterwards that it was a split second decision, when video showed that the umpire gave him the option to rescind the appeal. Personally I saw nothing wrong with the original appeal and the subsequent high moral tone taken by the cricket pundits and media in general was ridiculous.

NZ also were pushing their luck claiming the moral high ground given that previously they had been in a similar position with an "unfair" run out that they had claimed. I don't want to bring this whole thing up again and my memory of the other run out is somewhat vague but NZ certainly are being a bit hypocritical if they think they are deserving of any spirit of cricket award.
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 17:24   #57
James Zebrorter
The True Hero of Essex
 
James Zebrorter's Avatar
In a time of need. A new spearhead will arrive
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Glasgow
Team(s): AFC Hornchurch, Essex, England
Age: 33
Posts: 18,318
I was, however, being slightly facetious...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Druid Nathan Barley View Post
I'm fully aware of his thinking, which merely underlines the point that he's an idiot.
James Zebrorter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 17:30   #58
Greatbatch
Established International
 
Greatbatch's Avatar
Easy Southee
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): NZ
Posts: 4,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebrina the Teenage Witch View Post
Nice try yourself sir, but it was obviously a New Zealandish ploy to undermine our Greatest Ever ODI Captain* in order to win the series. That's not with in the spirit of cricket at all. Admit it!

*this phrase courtesy of Collingwood 5
Are you Collingwood5 in disguise? I'm afraid Paul Collingwood wouldn't know the Spirit of Cricket if it bounced down the pitch and trapped him plumb lbw like a Vettori arm ball.
Greatbatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 17:31   #59
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 41,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebrina the Teenage Witch View Post
I was, however, being slightly facetious...
Well, when I recalled the event, I wasn't.
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 17:42   #60
Greatbatch
Established International
 
Greatbatch's Avatar
Easy Southee
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): NZ
Posts: 4,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebrina the Teenage Witch View Post
I was, however, being slightly facetious...
Yes as was I. I don't really want to go back over that whole Elliott run out incident again. Suffice to say that NZ was clearly in the right and Paul Collingwood was pure evil for trying to do us over and rob us of a deserved victory.

I'm not that bothered really about us not getting the Spirit of Cricket award, to be honest I was surprised we were even nominated. Good on the Sri Lankans* for winning it, I'm sure they fully deserved it.


*Cheating Scum
Greatbatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:13.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org