Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > Ex-International Player Forum
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st December 2009, 05:25   #1
beefy
World Class
 
beefy's Avatar
Bulldog spirit
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London Town
Team(s): England & Arsenal
Posts: 7,352
Jonathan Trott

I don't think he's got his own thread.

Thought he did well in his first test as a number 3 batsman. Obviously a position we've struggled to fill for years. Can he be the answer we've been looking for?
He dug in well in the 2nd innings and looks a very organised and talented batsman, most importantly he seems to have the fighting attitude, i can't imagine him surrendering feebly like a Bell or Bopara would.
__________________
ENGLAND; Ashes holders, World Champions and the Number One cricket team in World Cricket.
beefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 11:10   #2
Minor Maggie
Buttleresque
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Lancashire, England
Posts: 26,678
Spin appears to be his nemesis. A trip to Bangladesh will be a good challenge for him.
Minor Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 11:21   #3
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 23,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor Maggie View Post
Spin Slow bowling appears to be his nemesis. A trip to Bangladesh will be a good challenge for him.
Edit.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 11:23   #4
Kim
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
Edit.
Lol.

13 interntional innings and 1 dismissal to a spinner (the world best left hander) suggest nemesis is harsh
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 11:26   #5
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 23,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
Lol.

13 interntional innings and 1 dismissal to a spinner (the world best left hander) suggest nemesis is harsh
He hasn't faced Ohja yet? (Westmidz fishing hook! )
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 11:37   #6
YAMS
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,346
I like Trott, looks the part.

Plus he's named after something a horse does. I doubt many other players can beat that.
YAMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 13:57   #7
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 41,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by beefy View Post
I don't think he's got his own thread.

Thought he did well in his first test as a number 3 batsman. Obviously a position we've struggled to fill for years. Can he be the answer we've been looking for?
He dug in well in the 2nd innings and looks a very organised and talented batsman, most importantly he seems to have the fighting attitude, i can't imagine him surrendering feebly like a Bell or Bopara would.
I think his best quality is that he sticks to his own method and isn't unsettled by anything. He doesn't care about not getting the strike, getting bogged down or the guy at the other end outscoring him; he knows that if he sticks at it he'll get through. And when a change in tempo is needed, he can step up.

I think the contrast (and contest) between him and Pietersen is fascinating. They are totally different characters, KP wants to show who's boss and to move things along and Trott keeps his emotions to himself but remains strong. All encapsulated in the run out fiasco yesterday.
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 14:00   #8
Kim
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,088
For all the times Ive watched him, Ive never noticed how long he takes to get ready for the next ball until these games with England.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 14:38   #9
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 795 Wagner 118 TCurran 7 SCurran 0 Cummins 101
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
For all the times Ive watched him, Ive never noticed how long he takes to get ready for the next ball until these games with England.
Didn't he get a warning in the ODIs?
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 17:25   #10
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 27,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAMS View Post
I like Trott, looks the part.

Plus he's named after something a horse does. I doubt many other players can beat that.
Kevin Hurdle of Bermuda
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 17:34   #11
YAMS
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
Does a horse hurdle or does it jump? They are certainly called hurdles but don't they jump over them?

Very good call though.
YAMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 17:37   #12
Kim
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,088
Graham Gallop (Australia). OK its Yallop really but that's a bloody good effort.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 17:43   #13
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 27,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAMS View Post
Does a horse hurdle or does it jump? They are certainly called hurdles but don't they jump over them?

Very good call though.
I think they can hurdle jumps and jump hurdles.


How about Thomas Cant or Peter Sleep?

Regardless, it is still very much a point in Trott's favour.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 17:44   #14
Aidan11
Harmisonesque
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere cold and wet
Posts: 39,432
Here is a cricketer called Gallop.

http://www.cricinfo.com/england/cont...yer/13830.html
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northantsfanone View Post
Speaking to Geoff Cook today they may released Mark Wood from Durham. He rates him but the kid has had an operation and maybe one too many bowlers on the books type deal.
Aidan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 17:47   #15
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 27,153
They also Dye if they are old, unwell or don't perform well enough.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 19:30   #16
Lizzy
World Class
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer View Post
I think his best quality is that he sticks to his own method and isn't unsettled by anything. He doesn't care about not getting the strike, getting bogged down or the guy at the other end outscoring him; he knows that if he sticks at it he'll get through. And when a change in tempo is needed, he can step up.

I think the contrast (and contest) between him and Pietersen is fascinating. They are totally different characters, KP wants to show who's boss and to move things along and Trott keeps his emotions to himself but remains strong. All encapsulated in the run out fiasco yesterday.
Looks like the beeb have dropped in MF

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cric...nd/8425196.stm
Lizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 19:30   #17
Minor Maggie
Buttleresque
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Lancashire, England
Posts: 26,678
And if they are feeling hungry they can always have a burger or two!
Minor Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 19:42   #18
stevieh
World Class
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Team(s): England, Kent, Canada
Posts: 6,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAMS View Post
I like Trott, looks the part.

Plus he's named after something a horse does. I doubt many other players can beat that.
His middle name is Canter?
stevieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 19:50   #19
Kim
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy View Post
Looks like the beeb have dropped in MF

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cric...nd/8425196.stm
"It's not something we are going to lose sleep over" - said a blearly-eyed Smith.

Trott sounds more mature and together every time he speaks.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 19:55   #20
YAMS
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
Graham Gallop (Australia). OK its Yallop really but that's a bloody good effort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
I think they can hurdle jumps and jump hurdles.


How about Thomas Cant or Peter Sleep?

Regardless, it is still very much a point in Trott's favour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan11 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
They also Dye if they are old, unwell or don't perform well enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor Maggie View Post
And if they are feeling hungry they can always have a burger or two!
All decent efforts........

A shame then that the little known Notts 2nd's youth opener from the late 1980's Peter Shotgunnedaftergoinglameinthe3.30atUttoxeter didn't make the grade.
YAMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:03.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org