Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th March 2018, 23:09   #161
DanielVettoriSpin
International Cricketer
 
DanielVettoriSpin's Avatar
DeviousVettoriSpin plots the downfall of another unfortunate
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wellington, NZ
Team(s): New Zealand, Essex & England
Posts: 2,681
Send a message via Yahoo to DanielVettoriSpin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector View Post
Ian Chappell's comments on the matter were refreshing. One wonders what the umpires are doing. Are they deaf?!
Two umpires for whom English is not their first language. I'm sure they have good English language skills, but the use of pejorative in English is a highly nuanced feast of wordplay at times. Some of the intricacies may have been lost.

If you're think very, very positively.

Chris Gaffaney is in for the next test. He certainly won't have that excuse.
__________________
Supporting
Essex County Cricket Club, Wellington, Peter Such and Iain O'Brien
DanielVettoriSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2018, 02:23   #162
Breacan
International Material
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,669
Those who feel it is OK to intentionally insult others but claim to adhere to a self defined line as to what is acceptable can hardly complain if others use the same approach but apply a different self defined line.
__________________
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.
Breacan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2018, 02:53   #163
MRNC4.0
International Material
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 1,918
Well now that every cricket pundit, journalist, casual fan has had their turn to expel vitriol upon Dave Warner, his wife, the rest of the Australian cricket team, Australian culture and the nation itself whether warranted or not, let's get back to the cricket for awhile shall we?

Australia likely unchanged, although Renshaw has just hit his third consecutive ton (against the Dukes ball at that) with scores of 170, 0, 112, 12, 130* in his last 5 innings he is either a Bancroft double failure or Warner brain explosion away from being called into the squad.

Bavuma likely to come in for De Bruyn, which I don't mind, I don't really rate him as a test bat. I think their strongest weapon is their fast bowlers, so why they continue the ploy of an extra mediocre bat is beyond me.

P.E. is one of the most boring places on earth, so no excuse for even the most half hearted cricket fan not to turn up. SA v Aus tests are the best show in town, and this one has several layers of added interest with the probability of Warner either scoring a 50 ball ton or committing homicide with his bat. I can't wait! Test cricket yay!
MRNC4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2018, 08:00   #164
thedon
County Pro
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 963
There is a growing feeling in Aus that our little opener needs to apply himself more to making runs and less to being obnoxious. Not only regarding his general nonsense which is tedious, but perhaps more so for the recent sook attack which is embarrassing.

Yet we also have a young SA who saw fit to make comment on a players wife and then lie about it to the ICC. Unless you accept he made no such comment, happy delusion if so. Strangely, where this is not being overlooked, it is being encouraged and lauded. Generally by many of the same people who "dislike sledging". Strange logic.
__________________
carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
thedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2018, 08:09   #165
Maty
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Derybshire
Age: 30
Posts: 13,332
Send a message via MSN to Maty
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRNC4.0 View Post
Well now that every cricket pundit, journalist, casual fan has had their turn to expel vitriol upon Dave Warner, his wife, the rest of the Australian cricket team, Australian culture and the nation itself whether warranted or not, let's get back to the cricket for awhile shall we?

Australia likely unchanged, although Renshaw has just hit his third consecutive ton (against the Dukes ball at that) with scores of 170, 0, 112, 12, 130* in his last 5 innings he is either a Bancroft double failure or Warner brain explosion away from being called into the squad.

Bavuma likely to come in for De Bruyn, which I don't mind, I don't really rate him as a test bat. I think their strongest weapon is their fast bowlers, so why they continue the ploy of an extra mediocre bat is beyond me.

P.E. is one of the most boring places on earth, so no excuse for even the most half hearted cricket fan not to turn up. SA v Aus tests are the best show in town, and this one has several layers of added interest with the probability of Warner either scoring a 50 ball ton or committing homicide with his bat. I can't wait! Test cricket yay!
People won't turn out because there isn't the interest there and there hasn't been for years now. I'm not sure why so called 'purists' can't seem to get their heads around this, this blissful head in the sand attitude of constantly insisting that it's the best form of the game and showcasing contempt for anyone who dares suggest otherwise does grow somewhat tiresome.
Maty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2018, 08:12   #166
Maty
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Derybshire
Age: 30
Posts: 13,332
Send a message via MSN to Maty
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedon View Post
There is a growing feeling in Aus that our little opener needs to apply himself more to making runs and less to being obnoxious. Not only regarding his general nonsense which is tedious, but perhaps more so for the recent sook attack which is embarrassing.

Yet we also have a young SA who saw fit to make comment on a players wife and then lie about it to the ICC. Unless you accept he made no such comment, happy delusion if so. Strangely, where this is not being overlooked, it is being encouraged and lauded. Generally by many of the same people who "dislike sledging". Strange logic.
The whole thing is just embarrassing, these are grown men showcasing the sort of behaviour you'd be disappointed at in a four-year old. I find it hugely frustrating that in this day and age it's still seemingly accepted as the norm to hand out tit for tat on the field, just get on with the game.
Maty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2018, 08:18   #167
Corbo 61
Posting God
 
Corbo 61's Avatar
'Blue Blistering Barnacles.'
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In Limbo.
Team(s): Norwich City Kent CCC
Posts: 13,471
I see the 2nd test has started. 2 men and a dingo attending. Less than Kent 2nd team match. Utterly pathetic.
__________________
I was dreaming I was awake, then I woke up and found I was asleep.
Corbo 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2018, 08:24   #168
Maty
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Derybshire
Age: 30
Posts: 13,332
Send a message via MSN to Maty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo 60 View Post
I see the 2nd test has started. 2 men and a dingo attending. Less than Kent 2nd team match. Utterly pathetic.
Are you genuinely surprised?

Again, instead of lambasting poor crowds have you actually considered why this is happening?

Test cricket is an excellent product at it's best, there's no denying that but at the same time it has numerous problems that go way beyond the lazy assumption that Twenty20 is the root cause of all evil.
Maty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2018, 09:27   #169
square leg umpire
Legendary
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 8,444
See SA have dropped Morkel, very strange move.
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2018, 09:28   #170
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 10,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maty View Post
People won't turn out because there isn't the interest there and there hasn't been for years now. I'm not sure why so called 'purists' can't seem to get their heads around this, this blissful head in the sand attitude of constantly insisting that it's the best form of the game and showcasing contempt for anyone who dares suggest otherwise does grow somewhat tiresome.
I think one has in principle to distinguish the best form of the game from the most popular form of the game. The latter will admit of more local variations. I think the label "purist" is a bit misleading, as is the suggestion of a head-in-the-sand attitude. Personally I don't think it matters much how many people turn up, not even in economic terms. The audience is global via TV. However, I certainly reserve the right to feel contemptuous of anyone who might try to tell me that my view of test cricket being the best form of the game is somehow wrong because there are some places where people don't go to watch test cricket much. I don't go to watch test cricket much either, because regardless of the quality of the product, I'm busy and it's a rip-off.
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2018, 09:31   #171
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 24,146
Looking very easy for Australia at the moment. They were very patient in the first few overs and this has been rewarded. That said, some of the South African bowling has been very ordinary with poor lengths and lines being bowled by the seamers. That was compounded with Du Plessis moving out a third slip to the covers and Warner nicking off through there straight afterwards.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2018, 09:32   #172
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 10,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by square leg umpire View Post
See SA have dropped Morkel, very strange move.
I think it makes good sense. He's been promising for decades but has never really kicked on. He usually seems somehow threatening but hardly ever takes many wickets. No point in keeping him in the team if someone who looks like they might well be better comes along.
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2018, 09:34   #173
Corbo 61
Posting God
 
Corbo 61's Avatar
'Blue Blistering Barnacles.'
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In Limbo.
Team(s): Norwich City Kent CCC
Posts: 13,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maty View Post
Are you genuinely surprised?

Again, instead of lambasting poor crowds have you actually considered why this is happening?

Test cricket is an excellent product at it's best, there's no denying that but at the same time it has numerous problems that go way beyond the lazy assumption that Twenty20 is the root cause of all evil.
Not really surprised but a tad disappointed. No excuse for it and I consider it all the time. A few thousand attending.. yes..would still be low but understandable..but it looks like a boycott..pathetic. Prices are low too...
__________________
I was dreaming I was awake, then I woke up and found I was asleep.
Corbo 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2018, 09:36   #174
Midnight
Legendary
 
Midnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Australia
Posts: 8,101
Australia's batting simply too good for this attack. Looks like another good toss to win. SA bowling seems a bit mediocre atm.
Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2018, 09:56   #175
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 10,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maty View Post
People won't turn out because there isn't the interest there and there hasn't been for years now. I'm not sure why so called 'purists' can't seem to get their heads around this, this blissful head in the sand attitude of constantly insisting that it's the best form of the game and showcasing contempt for anyone who dares suggest otherwise does grow somewhat tiresome.
sadly
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2018, 10:03   #176
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 827 Cummins 149 Wagner 147 TCurran 21 SCurran 4
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,756
Has Morkel played his last Test? Steyn is supposed to be ready for the 3rd Test. Will Morkel end up on 297 wickets
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2018, 10:32   #177
Midnight
Legendary
 
Midnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Australia
Posts: 8,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
Has Morkel played his last Test? Steyn is supposed to be ready for the 3rd Test. Will Morkel end up on 297 wickets

Joburg might be a test where they play an extra seamer. If Australia has already won by the series by then, they might let sentiment come into it and play Morkel. Think Ngidi needs to build up his fitness. Rabada is out of form but won't be dropped though.

Boxing Roo's mate goes cheaply again.

Last edited by Midnight : 9th March 2018 at 11:03.
Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2018, 11:03   #178
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 24,146
Usman Khawaja departs. His average at home is nearly 60. His average when he departs Australia is a paltry 24. It has been noticeable before this series and he's just nicked off to Philander.

However this brings Smith to the crease to join Warner who has been excellent. Obviously the key moments coming up now.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2018, 11:11   #179
Maty
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Derybshire
Age: 30
Posts: 13,332
Send a message via MSN to Maty
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanskritsimon View Post
I think it makes good sense. He's been promising for decades but has never really kicked on. He usually seems somehow threatening but hardly ever takes many wickets. No point in keeping him in the team if someone who looks like they might well be better comes along.
That's harsh.

Morkel has probably been South Africa's best bowler over the last year or two, yes he doesn't bowl a natural wicket taking line - although he's improved that in the last few years - but he does make batsmen feel uncomfortable and has been an excellent foil for the likes of Rabada and Steyn over the years. Without him Steyn for my money wouldn't have the amount of wickets that he has. For what it's worth i wouldn't have gone with this attack, given that between them Rabada and Ngidi will give away too many freebies.
Maty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2018, 11:18   #180
Midnight
Legendary
 
Midnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Australia
Posts: 8,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maty View Post
That's harsh.

Morkel has probably been South Africa's best bowler over the last year or two, yes he doesn't bowl a natural wicket taking line - although he's improved that in the last few years - but he does make batsmen feel uncomfortable and has been an excellent foil for the likes of Rabada and Steyn over the years. Without him Steyn for my money wouldn't have the amount of wickets that he has. For what it's worth i wouldn't have gone with this attack, given that between them Rabada and Ngidi will give away too many freebies.
Yes, both are leaky and there has been little pressure on because of this.
Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:06.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org