Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th December 2017, 19:41   #1
Zebroston Chase
Not Lara or Chanderpaul but the best you've got
 
Zebroston Chase's Avatar
When Hope is gone, I will appear.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Glasgow
Team(s): AFC Hornchurch, Essex, England
Age: 34
Posts: 18,509
Australia vs England 3rd Test at the WACA, Perth

Not long to go now. Cook's 150th test is at the same venue as his 100th and I imagine it going just as well for England. Team selection looks like re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic with some funky batting order changes the last refuge of the team.

Australia might bring in another Marsh but am not sure who for. Handscomb looks like he is on thin ice anyroad.

Australia to win the toss and bat for a session before Bairstow pours a beer over Bancroft, Root headbutts Warner and then they all go down the pub where Duckett has already got the beers in. They concede the test and the rest of the series before going on a two week Christmas drinking tour. No-one is upset.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Druid Nathan Barley View Post
I'm fully aware of his thinking, which merely underlines the point that he's an idiot.
Zebroston Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2017, 19:54   #2
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 10,916
Cook, Stoneman, Root, Bairstow, Ali, Foakes, Woakes, Overton, Broad, Crane, Anderson is probably the best we can muster from the squad.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2017, 21:18   #3
Minor Maggie
Buttleresque
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Lancashire, England
Posts: 26,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebroston Chase View Post
Not long to go now. Cook's 150th test is at the same venue as his 100th and I imagine it going just as well for England. Team selection looks like re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic with some funky batting order changes the last refuge of the team.

Australia might bring in another Marsh but am not sure who for. Handscomb looks like he is on thin ice anyroad.

Australia to win the toss and bat for a session before Bairstow pours a beer over Bancroft, Root headbutts Warner and then they all go down the pub where Duckett has already got the beers in. They concede the test and the rest of the series before going on a two week Christmas drinking tour. No-one is upset.
Perhaps we could hope to be saved by a Krikkit robot invasion instead...
Minor Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2017, 22:23   #4
Rebelstar
International Material
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,797
Was looking at the awful stat of England results at the WACA that BBC have been Spun King over, decided to look at the last two Ashes series results there when England won the series - drew in 86/87, thumped by 267 runs in 10/11

This side is not close to either of those sides so maybe they may as well forfeit and move on.

England at the WACA


70/71 match drawn (AF)
74/75 lost by 9 wickets (AF)
78/79 WON by 166 runs (AF)
79/80 lost by 138 runs (EF)
82/83 match drawn (AF)
86/87 match drawn (EB)
90/91 lost by 9 wickets (EB)
94/95 lost by 329 runs (AB)
98/99 lost by 7 wkts (AF)
13/14 lost by 150 runs (AB)
10/11 lost by 267 runs (EF)
06/07 lost by 206 runs (AB)
02/03 lost by inns and 48 runs (EB)

The letters in brackets are who won the toss and whether they chose to field (F) or bat (B).

England have won the toss three times and batted, drawing one and losing the other two. England's best return has come at the WACA when losing the toss and being asked to bat, winning once, drawing and losing twice apiece.

England have lost every time they won or lost the toss and the aussies batted first, having either elected to or been asked to. England's best hope might be to lose the toss and be inserted, or win it and elect to bat which I think is unlikely as England have the heebie jeebies when it comes to batting 1st when they feel they might get knocked over cheaply.


In the only win at the WACA England were put in having lost the toss, Boycott made 77 and Gower 102, Willis took 5/44 to bowl the aussies out for 190, England made 208 2nd innings before bowling the aussies out for under 200 again (161) with Lever taking 4/28 and Miller 3/21.
Rebelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2017, 23:15   #5
MRNC4.0
International Material
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 1,956
some websites are claiming that Mitch Marsh will play, but it doesn't seem official yet. the heat and flatness of the wicket in recent years (and in recent shield matches) probably warrants a 5th bowling option of some sort, I just don't think Marsh is a credible option. ave of 37 with the ball and a batting ave considerably lower than that of Cummins & Starc over a pretty large sample size of 21 tests indicates that this guy doesn't have what it takes as test all-rounder. maybe playing at his homeground against downtrodden opposition will paper over that for one test, but for godsakes at least ask him to go average consistently over 40 with the bat in FC for a season or two instead of just picking him whenever he feels fit.
MRNC4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2017, 23:44   #6
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 6,855
England have options on the bench with Foakes , Curran, Crane and Wood.

But they won’t use them because well .....

WJB moving up the order would be a feasible and sensible move.

Oz win.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2017, 00:03   #7
MRNC4.0
International Material
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 1,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
England have options on the bench with Foakes , Curran, Crane and Wood.

But they wonít use them because well .....

WJB moving up the order would be a feasible and sensible move.

Oz win.
Bairstow, like Root, has said he's not comfortable batting any higher than where he is.
MRNC4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2017, 02:49   #8
DanielVettoriSpin
International Cricketer
 
DanielVettoriSpin's Avatar
DeviousVettoriSpin plots the downfall of another unfortunate
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wellington, NZ
Team(s): New Zealand, Essex & England
Posts: 2,684
Send a message via Yahoo to DanielVettoriSpin
Perth isn't as fast as it used to be. Might be a possibility of replicating this match of more recent vintage?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1...ralia-2015-16/
__________________
Supporting
Essex County Cricket Club, Wellington, Peter Such and Iain O'Brien
DanielVettoriSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2017, 02:54   #9
thedon
County Pro
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRNC4.0 View Post
some websites are claiming that Mitch Marsh will play, but it doesn't seem official yet. the heat and flatness of the wicket in recent years (and in recent shield matches) probably warrants a 5th bowling option of some sort, I just don't think Marsh is a credible option. ave of 37 with the ball and a batting ave considerably lower than that of Cummins & Starc over a pretty large sample size of 21 tests indicates that this guy doesn't have what it takes as test all-rounder. maybe playing at his homeground against downtrodden opposition will paper over that for one test, but for godsakes at least ask him to go average consistently over 40 with the bat in FC for a season or two instead of just picking him whenever he feels fit.
Good point about the possibility of needing another bowler if the pitch is a pancake, and it looks like they would like an extra seam up bowler. Not sure Marsh should be near the team though. It seems they have confused some romantic notion of Keith Miller with what Marsh actually is (or what they believe he could be), and they're not giving up on the delusion easily. He is a mile behind even Watson as an all rounder, and many thought he was a bit of a passenger. Unless their definition of all rounder is someone who could make a reasonable number 8 with the bat, but is not good enough with with the ball to take a bowling possie.

Should move on until he takes state cricket by storm for an extended period. If there isn't a better batting option who can roll the arm seam up and at least be tidy, we should just go with a batsman. Looks like bigshow is on the outer because he bowls part time spin (and isn't one of the boys).
__________________
carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
thedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2017, 02:56   #10
thedon
County Pro
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielVettoriSpin View Post
Perth isn't as fast as it used to be. Might be a possibility of replicating this match of more recent vintage?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1...ralia-2015-16/
Utter disgrace that. The ICC should have taken action against CA for such a rubbish pitch lol.
__________________
carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
thedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2017, 03:29   #11
DanielVettoriSpin
International Cricketer
 
DanielVettoriSpin's Avatar
DeviousVettoriSpin plots the downfall of another unfortunate
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wellington, NZ
Team(s): New Zealand, Essex & England
Posts: 2,684
Send a message via Yahoo to DanielVettoriSpin
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedon View Post
Unless their definition of all rounder is someone who could make a reasonable number 8 with the bat, but is not good enough with with the ball to take a bowling possie.
Would you like Mitchell Santner?
__________________
Supporting
Essex County Cricket Club, Wellington, Peter Such and Iain O'Brien
DanielVettoriSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2017, 04:51   #12
MRNC4.0
International Material
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 1,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielVettoriSpin View Post
Perth isn't as fast as it used to be. Might be a possibility of replicating this match of more recent vintage?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1...ralia-2015-16/
For the sake of cricket and all that is good and holy, let's hope not. No wonder Johnson retired.
MRNC4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2017, 07:45   #13
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 6,855
New boy novice inexperienced bowler Jimmy Anderson whining that the coaches didn’t tell him to pitch it up in the 2nd test - mind boggling...


http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2...mpression=true
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2017, 09:01   #14
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 21,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
New boy novice inexperienced bowler Jimmy Anderson whining that the coaches didnít tell him to pitch it up in the 2nd test - mind boggling...


http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2...mpression=true
Wtf? That is pathetic. I woke up and listened on the radio and had BT on my phone. Tuffers called it after 2 overs. Jimmy needs to have a word with himself.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2017, 09:07   #15
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 6,855
Moeen demoted to 7 - no other changes.


Confirmed by Paul Newman of the Daily Mail.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2017, 09:15   #16
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 21,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
Moeen demoted to 7 - no other changes.


Confirmed by Paul Newman of the Daily Mail.


Or England realise that moeen is wasted at 6 and baisrstow is wasted at seven and put them in their correct positions. Staggered it took this long.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2017, 09:39   #17
Sir Coolerking
International Material
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post


Or England realise that moeen is wasted at 6 and baisrstow is wasted at seven and put them in their correct positions. Staggered it took this long.
If only there were some numbers to back up this argument and that everyone except the England Selectors had noticed before the First Test!!

It really is mindboggling some of the stuff they've come out with, the best being that Bairstow would bat better with the tail. It's like they completely missed some of the ODI batting Mo produced in the summer.

Not sure what hope the players have with the level of unprofessionalism off the field 'supporting' them.
Sir Coolerking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2017, 09:46   #18
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 21,224
Yeah it's bizarre. I would have liked to be in the meeting where it was discussed what to do when a number 6 batsman is unavailable and whether they each move up one or mo leapfrogs jonny. At what point did they think moeen suddenly became a better batsman than bairstow at batting with batsmen and became worse with the tail. Very odd.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2017, 09:53   #19
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 24,357
Only problem with that is that Bairstow's form has hardly been brilliant in the last year or so. It may provide him with extra motivation, but I don't see it as being revolutionary. He started the SA series batting a bit further up, but wasn't brilliant then.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2017, 10:11   #20
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 6,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
Only problem with that is that Bairstow's form has hardly been brilliant in the last year or so. It may provide him with extra motivation, but I don't see it as being revolutionary. He started the SA series batting a bit further up, but wasn't brilliant then.
Bairstow has more runs in the series than Mo.


All seems a bit fiddling round the edges when the team has simply underperformed to a man.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:21.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© Cricket247.org