Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st March 2016, 14:27   #2201
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
It's almost as if he's played most of his cricket at 6 or 7 in the batting line-up.
Yes but I still find it remarkable that's he's not scored one!
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 20:37   #2202
Fatslogger
Self Confessed Mentalist
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hitchin
Team(s): England and Liverpool
Age: 42
Posts: 43,691
Worth bearing in mind how good the top order above him is. I'd guess that the possibility of a 50 has probably only been there even remotely about one innings in five.
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Fatslogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 20:57   #2203
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 28,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatslogger View Post
Worth bearing in mind how good the top order above him is. I'd guess that the possibility of a 50 has probably only been there even remotely about one innings in five.
And even then it's more likely to be on relatively more bowler friendly pitches.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 21:30   #2204
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 28,376
T20I 50s by batting position


3: 136 (and 4 hundreds) - Kohli has 13 of these
4: 83 (and nobody has scored a hundred from outside the top 3)
5: 35 (Eoin Morgan is the king at this position with 5)
6: 22 (including twice by Misbah and Bangla's Nasir Hossain)
7: 6 (most notably by Super Ravi Bopara v Australia)
8: 1 (Ragheb Aga of Kenya)

Can't be bothered to count but how many times it's been done in total but 98 openers have scored a 50 (of which 5 of them have done this at least ten times) and 14 openers have scored a hundred, including Chris Gayle twice.

This all suggests that Buttler should probably open in T20

1 Buttler
2 Hales
3 Pietersen
4 Root
5 Morgan
6 Billings/Roy
7 Bopara
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 22:16   #2205
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,547
Buttler has a mediocre t20 record, above might explain why although worth noting that even without any 50s, MSD's average and strike rate are pretty impressive.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 23:13   #2206
Fatslogger
Self Confessed Mentalist
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hitchin
Team(s): England and Liverpool
Age: 42
Posts: 43,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Buttler has a mediocre t20 record, above might explain why although worth noting that even without any 50s, MSD's average and strike rate are pretty impressive.
He's been not out almost half his bats with 28 from 57 and not out for 20 or fewer runs 15 times. He's spurned the odd chance to make 50 with a couple of his scores in the high 40s not at particularly great SRs but opportunity hasn't knocked that often. I've not been through his low not out scores to see how many of them might have been chances. It certainly does make the case that you really have to bat your best guys in the top 3, although of course, there will be some minor considerations around tactics, match ups and new balls.
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Fatslogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 23:17   #2207
CDogg16
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 4,000
Apparently 60% of all runs in T20Is are scores by the top three in the batting line up.
CDogg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 23:22   #2208
Fatslogger
Self Confessed Mentalist
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hitchin
Team(s): England and Liverpool
Age: 42
Posts: 43,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDogg16 View Post
Apparently 60% of all runs in T20Is are scores by the top three in the batting line up.
Interesting. I wonder how much of that is them not taking enough risks. Hard to think how exactly one would approach answering that question.
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Fatslogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 15:04   #2209
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 28,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatslogger View Post
Interesting. I wonder how much of that is them not taking enough risks. Hard to think how exactly one would approach answering that question.
Count the number of T20I innings Ian Bell has played?


Alternatively Duckworth-Lewis-Stern might be one way as it provides predicted scores based on resources remaining (wickets and overs).

I think there must be some way of utilising that to see whether someone's innings left the team getting a higher or lower score than when they came in (or indeed at different stages during the innings).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2016, 02:18   #2210
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 852 Cummins 149 Wagner 147 TCurran 21 SCurran 16
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,144
MOMs
(Players still playing)

Tests
10 - Pietersen
9 - Broad
7 - Anderson
6 - Cook
5 - Root
3 - Bell
2 - Panesar, Finn, Stokes
1 - Ambrose, Bresnan, Ali

ODIs
16 - Collingwood
10 - Pietersen, Morgan
9 - Bell
7 - Cook
6 - Buttler
5 - Anderson, Bopara
3 - Broad, Root, Jordan, Taylor
2 - Shah, Tredwell, Finn, Bairstow, Hales
1 - Read, Woakes, Patel, Davies, Stokes, Parry, Ali

20/20s
6 - Pietersen
4 - Morgan
3 - Wright, Hales
2 - Collingwood, Bresnan, Root, Ali, Buttler
1 - Bairstow, Bell, Broad, Dernbach, Shah, Billings, Plunkett, Roy

Test Player of the Series
4 Anderson
3 Cook
2 Pietersen, Root
1 Panesar, Bopara, Finn, Broad, Bell, Stokes

ODI Player of the Series
3 Bell
2 Cook, Morgan
1 Pietersen, Broad, Root, Hales

20/20 Player of the Series
2 Pietersen
1 Vince
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2016, 09:03   #2211
Fred
County Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Buttler has a mediocre t20 record, above might explain why although worth noting that even without any 50s, MSD's average and strike rate are pretty impressive.
Wonder what might look like at the end of their careers:

2016 T20 tournament:

Buttler 155 runs from 98 balls SR 158 9x6s (Gayle top with 11x6s)
Dhoni 74 runs from 61 balls SR 121 2x6s

International T20 Career:
Buttler 803 runs from 576 balls SR 139
Dhoni 1026 runs from 845 balls SR 121

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...s;type=batting

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/conte...er/308967.html
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/conte...yer/28081.html
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2016, 09:18   #2212
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Wonder what might look like at the end of their careers:

2016 T20 tournament:

Buttler 155 runs from 98 balls SR 158 9x6s (Gayle top with 11x6s)
Dhoni 74 runs from 61 balls SR 121 2x6s

International T20 Career:
Buttler 803 runs from 576 balls SR 139
Dhoni 1026 runs from 845 balls SR 121

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...s;type=batting

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/conte...er/308967.html
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/conte...yer/28081.html
Buttler may well end up with a superior statistical record but one thing that will probably always be in Dhoni's favour is his success in winning trophies as a captain. World cups in ODI and T20, ICC Champions Trophy, no1 test side, 2xIPL winner. If Buttler wins that many trophies, we England fans will have been blessed.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2016, 11:50   #2213
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Buttler may well end up with a superior statistical record but one thing that will probably always be in Dhoni's favour is his success in winning trophies as a captain. World cups in ODI and T20, ICC Champions Trophy, no1 test side, 2xIPL winner. If Buttler wins that many trophies, we England fans will have been blessed.
And a minor fact of doing it all while captaining India. That said, I'm not a great MSD fan.
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2016, 12:47   #2214
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 852 Cummins 149 Wagner 147 TCurran 21 SCurran 16
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,144
ICC ‏@ICC 3h3 hours ago
@benstokes38 has bowled 50% dots in the death overs - a better rate than any other player #WT20

Four games ago in his 13th match his figures were 4 wickets at 65.25 econ 9.66 s/r 40.5.

Used as a 5th bowler if every one else was expensive in case he was less expensive. Topley (death bowler) was dropped and I guess he volunteered to do the job when it could have gone to Willey.

He has found his spot in England's bowling and now more economical than Jordan at the death.

At present his figures are 8 wickets at 41.75 econ 8.78 s/r 28.5.

5 wickets for 20 in the last 4 overs against NZ. It won't get better than that for England.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2016, 14:11   #2215
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 852 Cummins 149 Wagner 147 TCurran 21 SCurran 16
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,144
http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-worl...ry/994219.html

5.73 The economy rate for West Indies' spinners in this tournament, the best among all teams since the start of the Super 10s. England's spinners have an economy rate of 9.36, which is the worst. No other team has had spinners conceding more than eight per over. West Indies' spinners have averaged 21.36 runs per wicket, compared to England's average of 31.22.

5.68 Samuel Badree's economy rate in this tournament, which is third among the 34 bowlers who have bowled at least 12 overs since the start of the Super 10 stage. Sulieman Benn is fifth on the list, with an economy rate of 5.78.

Might be a good idea to give Gayle a couple of overs. He also has good figures.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2016, 22:43   #2216
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 10,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
... England's spinners have an economy rate of 9.36, which is the worst. No other team has had spinners conceding more than eight per over. West Indies' spinners have averaged 21.36 runs per wicket, compared to England's average of 31.22 ...
I've been surprised by the economy rates of our spinners in this tournament, as usually the spinners do better than the seamers in this form of the game, as reflected by the rankings. I suppose the data set is small and has been affected by the onslaught of Angelo Matthews and by the range of pitches we've played on.
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 19:20   #2217
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,547
In 2 WT20 finals and one IPL final, Chris Gayle has scored a grand total of 7 runs off 21 balls.

Marlon Samuels' 85 and 76 are the two highest scores in WT20 finals.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2016, 13:45   #2218
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
ICC ‏@ICC 3h3 hours ago
@benstokes38 has bowled 50% dots in the death overs - a better rate than any other player #WT20

Four games ago in his 13th match his figures were 4 wickets at 65.25 econ 9.66 s/r 40.5.

Used as a 5th bowler if every one else was expensive in case he was less expensive. Topley (death bowler) was dropped and I guess he volunteered to do the job when it could have gone to Willey.

He has found his spot in England's bowling and now more economical than Jordan at the death.

At present his figures are 8 wickets at 41.75 econ 8.78 s/r 28.5.

5 wickets for 20 in the last 4 overs against NZ. It won't get better than that for England.
Didn't help yesterday, did it?
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2016, 17:00   #2219
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 852 Cummins 149 Wagner 147 TCurran 21 SCurran 16
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedMale View Post
Didn't help yesterday, did it?
No.

Our death bowling in India

10.0-0-80-4 - Jordan (8.00) career death bowling 7.91
6.4-0-65-4 - Stokes (9.75) cdb 7.97
5.0-0-57-0 - Willey (11.40) cdb 11.71
1.1-0-18-0 - Topley (15.51) cdb 9.37

After Broad's 6 sixes he still bowled at the death in the next 20/20 four months later. I expect the death bowlers to be Jordan & Stokes in the future.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-worl...ry/995137.html

Last edited by 1000yardstare : 4th April 2016 at 17:47.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2016, 12:26   #2220
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,240
Actually, what happened in the finals and what happened to Broad are just freak accidents. That shouldn't necessarily stop a Stokes from attempting to bowl at the death.
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:10.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org