Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > England
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th November 2018, 23:15   #2161
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 22,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
Are you sure about that, Sir Virgs? Or is that amongst solely spinners?

I have Richardson, Rhodes, Barnes, Frank Foster, Bedser, Trueman, Tyson, John Lever and Botham all with 20+ wickets in their first four Tests and that was just a swift intuitive sweep.
Ah. Might have been just spin bowlers. Sorry. That would be why I went for the spin thread, I think. I canít rememebr where I read it.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2018, 23:31   #2162
Summer of '77
Legendary
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 9,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
Ah. Might have been just spin bowlers. Sorry. That would be why I went for the spin thread, I think. I canít rememebr where I read it.
No probs....it's an interesting little project !!

And, whatever, the reality.....hats off to Jack in any case.
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2018, 10:11   #2163
D/L
Legendary
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 9,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
Now that batting isn't much of a factor - is Leach England's no1's spinner ?
It's much too early in Leach's career to make a judgment.
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2018, 10:13   #2164
D/L
Legendary
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 9,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
Leach has 20 wickets from his first four matches. Only 2 people have more wickets in their first four matches for England.

I just wish he wasnít mentally weak then he might have done okay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
Are you sure about that, Sir Virgs? Or is that amongst solely spinners?

I have Richardson, Rhodes, Barnes, Frank Foster, Bedser, Trueman, Tyson, John Lever and Botham all with 20+ wickets in their first four Tests and that was just a swift intuitive sweep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
Ah. Might have been just spin bowlers. Sorry. That would be why I went for the spin thread, I think. I canít rememebr where I read it.
Well, that exchange followed a fairly familiar pattern and not just re cricket.
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2018, 10:53   #2165
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 22,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
No probs....it's an interesting little project !!

And, whatever, the reality.....hats off to Jack in any case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D/L View Post
Well, that exchange followed a fairly familiar pattern and not just re cricket.
Here is the original tweet. I wonder if the paper made an error and they meant just spin?

https://twitter.com/theshoedoctor1/s...398322182?s=21
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2018, 11:32   #2166
Summer of '77
Legendary
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 9,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
Here is the original tweet. I wonder if the paper made an error and they meant just spin?

https://twitter.com/theshoedoctor1/s...398322182?s=21
Ah, Finlay-Bissett and Buckenham played only a total of 4 Tests each....this might be where the confusion lies.

Aside from them, Rhodes had 21 from his first 4 Tests, Shah 23, Grimmett 24, Ramadhin 26, Mailey 29 (having not had a bowl in his second game!) and Hirwani a stonking 36.
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2018, 11:52   #2167
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 22,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
Ah, Finlay-Bissett and Buckenham played only a total of 4 Tests each....this might be where the confusion lies.

Aside from them, Rhodes had 21 from his first 4 Tests, Shah 23, Grimmett 24, Ramadhin 26, Mailey 29 (having not had a bowl in his second game!) and Hirwani a stonking 36.
What a crap stat that was!
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2018, 18:03   #2168
oldandfat
County Pro
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 984
I would guess (emphasis on guess) that one of the two spinners was Nick Cook?
oldandfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2018, 18:39   #2169
Steveh
Club Cricketer
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
What a crap stat that was!
Thereís a lot of it about these days! (Crapstattery)
Steveh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2018, 03:49   #2170
JRC67
International Material
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldandfat View Post
I would guess (emphasis on guess) that one of the two spinners was Nick Cook?
Good call he had 21 wickets after 3 tests.
JRC67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2018, 11:24   #2171
D/L
Legendary
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 9,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
What a crap stat that was!
It illustrates the value of checking them first.

Any road up, here's to the next one. It'll probably be along quite soon.
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2018, 16:24   #2172
JRC67
International Material
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,852
Cork and Yasir Shah also started test cricket with a bang.
JRC67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2018, 20:23   #2173
Summer of '77
Legendary
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 9,400
Rodney Hogg and Terry Alderman weren't so shabby either - respectively 33 and 28 wickets in their first 4 Tests (rising to 41 and 42 from their first 6).

West Indies pace merchants Wes Hall and Colin Croft both collected 26 wickets in their first 4 Tests, Hall's all being in India.

The Caribbean spin twins Ramadhin and Valentine both debuted in the famous 4-Test series in England in 1950, bagging 26 and 33 wickets respectively.
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2018, 23:00   #2174
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 20,253
Ajantha Mendis also took 33 in his first 4 tests before fading quite quickly, while a certain Bob Massie took 21 in his first two.

Has anyone mentioned CB Turner?
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.

Last edited by Ali TT : 30th November 2018 at 00:48.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2018, 18:09   #2175
Psyduck
Posting God
 
Psyduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester
Team(s): England, Lancashire, Man Utd
Posts: 16,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Ajantha Mendis also took 33 in his first 4 tests before fading quite quickly...
Has he retired?
Psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2018, 18:15   #2176
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 20,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyduck View Post
Has he retired?
Not sure. He was ruined when batsmen figured that all his fifteen variations did the same thing.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2018, 18:25   #2177
Psyduck
Posting God
 
Psyduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester
Team(s): England, Lancashire, Man Utd
Posts: 16,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Not sure. He was ruined when batsmen figured that all his fifteen variations did the same thing.
I've just looked him up and he is still plying his trade with the Sri Lankan Army team. He hasn't played international cricket for 3 years.
Psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2018, 18:29   #2178
AJ101
International Material
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Not sure. He was ruined when batsmen figured that all his fifteen variations did the same thing.
I have to say when I first watched him I was as flummoxed as the batsman seemed to be about how he did so well!
AJ101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 00:00.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© Cricket247.org