Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Is the end of sledging nigh?
Ban it 9 28.13%
Lurve it 9 28.13%
Tolerate it (but under strict guidelines) 14 43.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th December 2010, 11:57   #41
Kim
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,088
Andersons sledging seems to have got Johnson going. With that and his selfish refusal to take a run off the last but one ball, Jimmy has some questions to answer.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 11:59   #42
Zebroston Chase
Not Lara or Chanderpaul but the best you've got
 
Zebroston Chase's Avatar
When Hope is gone, I will appear.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Glasgow
Team(s): AFC Hornchurch, Essex, England
Age: 34
Posts: 18,509
Add to that only taking one bloody wicket in the 2nd innings and it's quickly becoming apparent who has cost us this test match.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Druid Nathan Barley View Post
I'm fully aware of his thinking, which merely underlines the point that he's an idiot.
Zebroston Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 12:01   #43
Kim
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebrashes Defence View Post
Add to that only taking one bloody wicket in the 2nd innings and it's quickly becoming apparent who has cost us this test match.
And probably the ashes too. Disgracefull.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 01:30   #44
Apex
International Material
 
Apex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Woolloomooloo
Team(s): India
Posts: 1,608
Harris sledging Gambhir, ugly.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 10:26   #45
slop
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): South Africa
Age: 42
Posts: 18,805
I don't mind sledging so much and this just showed how desperate Aus were due to the pressure England put on them. To their credit, they channeled it well, and got a result. What I don't like is reactions like Siddle's to Prior's dismissal, it was ugly. And Ponting is always a disgrace, though his crying to Strauss has been somewhat amusing.
slop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 11:43   #46
Ash
Established International
 
Ash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lahore
Team(s): England & Essex
Posts: 3,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by slop View Post
I don't mind sledging so much and this just showed how desperate Aus were due to the pressure England put on them. To their credit, they channeled it well, and got a result. What I don't like is reactions like Siddle's to Prior's dismissal, it was ugly. And Ponting is always a disgrace, though his crying to Strauss has been somewhat amusing.
What happened there?
__________________
It takes one to know one.
Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 12:08   #47
slop
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): South Africa
Age: 42
Posts: 18,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
What happened there?
Siddle (or Diddle, as my iPhone seems to prefer) had peppered prior with some bodylibe stuff, fair enough, and eventually got his man. He was clearly fired up, but he followed up the dismissal snarling and shouting at the departing batsman. I think that's poor (and should result in censure). Prior's reaction and siddle's follow up after that doesn't bother me much. Ponting sticking his sour face in was just pathetic.
slop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 12:13   #48
Kim
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by slop View Post
Siddle (or Diddle, as my iPhone seems to prefer) had peppered prior with some bodylibe stuff, fair enough, and eventually got his man. He was clearly fired up, but he followed up the dismissal snarling and shouting at the departing batsman. I think that's poor (and should result in censure). Prior's reaction and siddle's follow up after that doesn't bother me much. Ponting sticking his sour face in was just pathetic.
Agree with that. Do you think any of it makes the slightest difference to the game?

I find Johnson V Anderson amusing - we arent talking the Kray twins with these two.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 12:14   #49
Minor Maggie
Buttleresque
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Lancashire, England
Posts: 26,758
It's all about modelling for a gay magazine and tattoo's! Handbags at dawn!
Minor Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2010, 19:21   #50
Phil.
County 1st Team
 
Phil.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Princeton, NJ
Team(s): England, Hampshire
Posts: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardcharlie View Post
Never minded the guys dishing it out but if you do that you have to be able to take it back. The bacon remark made by one England cricketer in regard to his girth is a case in point. If you can't take it back, you don't dish it out. Retorts to sledging are far often funnier than the original comment. "Why are you so fat?" - "Every time I **** your wife she gives me a biscuit" that sort of thing.
Some of my favorites:

When Australia toured New Zealand and Blair Pocock was
opening the batting for the Kiwis. Having played and missed at a couple he
was then approached by Mark Waugh from slip. Waugh pointed at Pocock and
said "oh yeah, I remember you, you toured Australia a couple of years ago.
You were **** then too." Pocock then proceded to hit the next ball for
four and pointed at Waugh and said "oh yeah, I remember you too, you had
that f***ing ugly old girlfriend........and then you went and married her
you dumb c**t."

A county bowler was causing Viv Richards to play and miss at several balls.
The bowler piped up: "Hey Viv, it's red and it's round."
Viv cracked the next ball out of the ground and told the
bowler: "You know what it looks like, man - go fetch it."

Merv Hughes, was aiming constant abuse at English batsman Robin
Smith. But having been told that he "couldn't bat to save his
f***ing life," Smith smashed a four, walked down the pitch and said: "Make
a good pair, don't we? I can't f***ing bat and you can't f***ing bowl."

More recent was Flintoff's comment: "Mind the windows Tino!" Whereupon Best tried to knock the next ball by Giles out of the ground (only to be stumped). The English slip fielders were in hysterics!

Last edited by Phil. : 26th December 2010 at 22:41.
Phil. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2010, 20:31   #51
Silly Deep Cover
Returning Officer
 
Silly Deep Cover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Leafy West London
Team(s): Wales
Posts: 22,638
The first of those was attributed to Adam Parore in the version I read.
__________________
"Do I contradict myself? Very well, then, I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes." (Walt Whitman)
Silly Deep Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2010, 22:40   #52
Phil.
County 1st Team
 
Phil.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Princeton, NJ
Team(s): England, Hampshire
Posts: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Deep Cover View Post
The first of those was attributed to Adam Parore in the version I read.
Everywhere I've seen it it was Pocock. Another good one was:

Botham arrives at the crease to be greeted by the following from Rod Marsh "So hows your wife and my kids?"
Response from Botham "The wife's alright but the kids are retarded"
Phil. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2010, 12:02   #53
luckyluke
Established International
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil. View Post
Everywhere I've seen it it was Pocock. Another good one was:
Who cares? It's just outright abuse, it's not even funny.

My favourite is a one test wonder who played in the Oval Ashes test of 2001, I think it might have been Jimmy Ormand?

Anyway, Mark Waugh was giving him hell from the slips, saying "mate I don't know what you're doing here, you're nowhere near good enough to be on this field"

The batsman replied with "Look, I realise I may not be the best player in these teams. But you can't talk, you're not even the best player in your own ****ing family!"
__________________
Most heartless decision:

In a women's league match in Denmark, a heavily pregnant woman arrived at the crease, and asked for a runner. Her request was denied, on the grounds that her incapacity had not occured during the course of the match.
luckyluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 17:48   #54
Phil.
County 1st Team
 
Phil.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Princeton, NJ
Team(s): England, Hampshire
Posts: 381
The perfect sledge today would have been for KP to tell Ponting after his dismissal : "Now that was an inside edge!"
Phil. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 18:02   #55
Aidan11
Harmisonesque
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere cold and wet
Posts: 40,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil. View Post
The perfect sledge today would have been for KP to tell Ponting after his dismissal : "Now that was an inside edge!"
I think KP should just keep chanting "Gary Pratt" in his earhole.
Aidan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 20:55   #56
Kim
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,088
I always liked the time the bowler said to Ian Healy, when Nasser Hussain came in, "I want a fielder right under Nasser's nose"

So Healy put the fielder 6 yards away.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2010, 13:27   #57
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 24,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil. View Post
Some of my favorites:

When Australia toured New Zealand and Blair Pocock was
opening the batting for the Kiwis. Having played and missed at a couple he
was then approached by Mark Waugh from slip. Waugh pointed at Pocock and
said "oh yeah, I remember you, you toured Australia a couple of years ago.
You were **** then too." Pocock then proceded to hit the next ball for
four and pointed at Waugh and said "oh yeah, I remember you too, you had
that f***ing ugly old girlfriend........and then you went and married her
you dumb c**t."

A county bowler was causing Viv Richards to play and miss at several balls.
The bowler piped up: "Hey Viv, it's red and it's round."
Viv cracked the next ball out of the ground and told the
bowler: "You know what it looks like, man - go fetch it."

Merv Hughes, was aiming constant abuse at English batsman Robin
Smith. But having been told that he "couldn't bat to save his
f***ing life," Smith smashed a four, walked down the pitch and said: "Make
a good pair, don't we? I can't f***ing bat and you can't f***ing bowl."

More recent was Flintoff's comment: "Mind the windows Tino!" Whereupon Best tried to knock the next ball by Giles out of the ground (only to be stumped). The English slip fielders were in hysterics!
As SDC points out the NZ one was Parore, the Richards incident was Greg Thomas.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2010, 13:54   #58
Geiiir
County Pro
 
Geiiir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Team(s): West Indies, Tasmania, Otago, Durham and not Man Utd
Posts: 596
Glen McGrath playing the Zimmies and bowling at their portly former pace man Eddo 'Chicken' Brandes.

Brandes smears a couple of boundaries and McGrath shouts at him

"Why are you so f***#### fat?"

Eddo looks up and replies "Every time I f*** your wife she gives me a biscuit."

Bill Lawry & Richie Benaud
While commentating during a match in which Pakistan was faring badly in all departments of the game, Bill Lawry, offering a solution said "I think Pakistan's problem is they've got to relax", to which Benaud replies nonchalantly, "I don't agree. I think Pakistan have got to learn how to bat, bowl and field. It's a simple game."


Jeroen Smits to Matt Hayden at the 2007 World Cup

"Get a single and get Gilly on strike, we didn't fly halfway around the world to watch you. You're crap"
__________________
The "current West Indies players are more interested in bling than winning........ West Indies teams from my era set very high standards - even the women we associated with had to be of a certain standard." - Richie Richardson.
Geiiir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2010, 21:46   #59
luckyluke
Established International
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geiiir View Post
Jeroen Smits to Matt Hayden at the 2007 World Cup

"Get a single and get Gilly on strike, we didn't fly halfway around the world to watch you. You're crap"
__________________
Most heartless decision:

In a women's league match in Denmark, a heavily pregnant woman arrived at the crease, and asked for a runner. Her request was denied, on the grounds that her incapacity had not occured during the course of the match.
luckyluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2010, 22:46   #60
Geiiir
County Pro
 
Geiiir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Team(s): West Indies, Tasmania, Otago, Durham and not Man Utd
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyluke View Post
Read an interview with Matt Hayden, he thought it was hilarious.
__________________
The "current West Indies players are more interested in bling than winning........ West Indies teams from my era set very high standards - even the women we associated with had to be of a certain standard." - Richie Richardson.
Geiiir is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:20.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org