Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > Ex-International Player Forum
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th March 2017, 11:47   #6121
billyguntheballs
County Pro
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 689
KP back in England for the t20 blast!
__________________

I can accept failure...I can not accept not trying again.
billyguntheballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 02:27   #6122
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 852 Cummins 149 Wagner 147 TCurran 21 SCurran 16
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,151
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cri...Pietersen.html
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2017, 12:13   #6123
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 10,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
Graham Gooch still doesn't realise that KP is far more important than anyone else.
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2017, 12:26   #6124
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 852 Cummins 149 Wagner 147 TCurran 21 SCurran 16
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanskritsimon View Post
Graham Gooch still doesn't realise that KP is far more important than anyone else.
I wonder if anyone else has refused to bat in a certain position. He did bat at number 3 once - Cook Trott Pietersen Collingwood Bell, in Bangladesh 2010. 45 & 74*
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2017, 12:28   #6125
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanskritsimon View Post
Graham Gooch still doesn't realise that KP is far more important than anyone else.
Graham Gooch should probably reflect a little more on his own efforts as batting coach during that series. Reading between the lines it would seem the one batsman who didn't listen to him did better than all the ones who did.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2017, 12:43   #6126
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 10,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Graham Gooch should probably reflect a little more on his own efforts as batting coach during that series. Reading between the lines it would seem the one batsman who didn't listen to him did better than all the ones who did.
Yes, I expect it is everyone else's fault apart from Pietersen's. If only his team-mates and support staff hadn't let him down so badly, the series might still have been alive by the time he got round to scoring some runs.
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2017, 13:40   #6127
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,584
Or maybe it's a collective responsibility that the collective, or at least those in authority, tried to lay at the door of one man.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2017, 14:31   #6128
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 10,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Or maybe it's a collective responsibility that the collective, or at least those in authority, tried to lay at the door of one man.
You're making it up. That didn't happen.
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2017, 22:17   #6129
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanskritsimon View Post
You're making it up. That didn't happen.
No and it did.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2017, 11:00   #6130
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 10,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
No and it did.
Codswallop. Several people lost their jobs as a result: just about everyone in the management -- including Gooch -- apart from Cook (who cops some criticism here from Gooch, this having presumably waited until now because Cook's no longer skipper). Your mistake is a common one, but it's only possible because actually Pietersen is far more important than any of those other people; which, indeed, in a way, is precisely Gooch's point. Although sadly this has come far too late. If only all of those involved had been as aware of KP's enormous importance as KP himself always was, the terrible events that ended his international career might have been avoided. Though in the end I suspect that even that wouldn't have been enough, because ultimately test cricket just isn't nearly as important as KP, and so try as anyone might, he was always going to have to move on -- a point that he himself had so eloquently made about international limited-overs cricket several years previously.
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2017, 11:18   #6131
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanskritsimon View Post
Codswallop. Several people lost their jobs as a result: just about everyone in the management -- including Gooch -- apart from Cook (who cops some criticism here from Gooch, this having presumably waited until now because Cook's no longer skipper). Your mistake is a common one, but it's only possible because actually Pietersen is far more important than any of those other people; which, indeed, in a way, is precisely Gooch's point. Although sadly this has come far too late. If only all of those involved had been as aware of KP's enormous importance as KP himself always was, the terrible events that ended his international career might have been avoided. Though in the end I suspect that even that wouldn't have been enough, because ultimately test cricket just isn't nearly as important as KP, and so try as anyone might, he was always going to have to move on -- a point that he himself had so eloquently made about international limited-overs cricket several years previously.
Useful for the reader to put a description of your post up first. Thank you.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2017, 14:58   #6132
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 24,427
There were two things that I took from that article. Firstly, Gooch suggested Pietersen batted at 3, yet suggested rightly that he had a weakness first up for playing across the line. Therefore that is hardly the type of player you want to push up one slot from 4.

Secondly, Gooch was also right about saying that Cook should have been the one to criticse Pietersen's attitude. Implicitly it suggested Cook wasn't man enough for the job, which the way he led the side in Australia palpably said that in volumes.

Different eras and all I know, but one thing the journos always defended Cook about was that the players under his charge liked him. I suspect that the players under Douglas Jardine's charge didn't like him very much at all, yet the beat the Aussies.

Also, Bradman's invincilbles team had several members who didn't like him at all, so popularity wasn't ever a defining factor for a leadership role.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2017, 15:11   #6133
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 10,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
There were two things that I took from that article. Firstly, Gooch suggested Pietersen batted at 3, yet suggested rightly that he had a weakness first up for playing across the line. Therefore that is hardly the type of player you want to push up one slot from 4.

Secondly, Gooch was also right about saying that Cook should have been the one to criticse Pietersen's attitude. Implicitly it suggested Cook wasn't man enough for the job, which the way he led the side in Australia palpably said that in volumes.

Different eras and all I know, but one thing the journos always defended Cook about was that the players under his charge liked him. I suspect that the players under Douglas Jardine's charge didn't like him very much at all, yet the beat the Aussies.

Also, Bradman's invincilbles team had several members who didn't like him at all, so popularity wasn't ever a defining factor for a leadership role.
You're right that those things were in there. Cook should never have survived the cull that followed that series. But surely the main thing to come out of the article is that KP is, as previously suggested, a massive, throbbing bell-end.

Incidentally, I disagree with your assessment of KP's technique. All batsmen are more vulnerable early doors. I think he could easily have batted at 3 and should have done so some time before that, and that he'd've prospered well there. As we know, though, that wasn't the way he played.
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2017, 15:18   #6134
Aidan11
Harmisonesque
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere cold and wet
Posts: 40,249
It's true that KP was a bell-end but if a player gets dropped for that, many England players would have had much shorter careers.

The fact is that he was one of the best players we had in years but because he was a handful (I believe the word the media like to use is "maverick") the management were looking for an excuse to get rid of him.

They got what they wanted but several people went down with him.
Aidan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2017, 15:19   #6135
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,584
I am under no illusion that KP was some kind of saint, in fact he's clearly a ******** a lot of the time and his BFF is one of the biggest tosspots around (surpassed only by his BFF's BFF). However, people dislike KP because he's quite obviously a ********, whereas the other ********s in and around the team got away with it (more subtle? more intelligent? an English preference to stab in the back rather than the front?).

Gooch may have lost his job after the Ashes but the three biggest architects in the disaster - the captain, the coach and the billionaire arse-licking ECB supremo who scheduled ten Ashes tests in 6 months- all either stayed on in post or moved to other cushier roles. Meanwhile a number of players apart from KP were ended by that tour - Swann, Trott, Prior, Tremlett, Panesar, Rankin. It was one unholy **** up across the board and yet, bizarrely, those who want to bang about KP's self promotion seem to be the ones who most want to bang on most about KP.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2017, 15:39   #6136
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 10,940
Indeed, KP was the only one who got sacked afterwards. Flower stood down and got a cushty job elsewhere in the ECB where he still seems to have a huge influence on English cricket. I suppose Gooch got replaced but when a new coach takes over the team, the back room staff is going to change anyway. I think there are a lot of regimes, basically unEnglish ones that could have handled KP.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2017, 16:21   #6137
Aidan11
Harmisonesque
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere cold and wet
Posts: 40,249
Not forgetting Paul Downton whose press conference to confirm his sacking made him Public Enemy No1.
Aidan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2017, 18:04   #6138
stevieh
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Team(s): England, Kent, Canada
Posts: 7,145
Not one of our "finest hours", that's for sure.
stevieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 08:19   #6139
cabinboy
Posting God
 
cabinboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 13,717
The Kevin Pietersen thread

Whilst King Kevin continues to wow spectators across the globe, this year may be the last we see of him in England.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/40336460

The England great is building a house in the Kruger National Park all of next summer. He'll obviously be available to take the call from the SA selectors and given the saffers recent performances, they certainly need him.
cabinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 10:28   #6140
D/L
Legendary
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 8,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinboy View Post
Whilst King Kevin continues to wow spectators across the globe, this year may be the last we see of him in England. ...
The worry is we'll still hear plenty from him on commentary.
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:53.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org