Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > England
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th February 2018, 14:09   #341
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 28,376
What are his qualifications beyond being a good fielder?

Isn't this role more about management?

You'd have liked to have thought that England would have learnt from the mess Strauss made of the Stokes saga.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2018, 14:56   #342
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 10,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
What are his qualifications beyond being a good fielder?

Isn't this role more about management?

You'd have liked to have thought that England would have learnt from the mess Strauss made of the Stokes saga.
He's run the Sussex academy for a while I believe, and there have been quite a few promising cricketers coming through in that time. I think all cricketers should be good to excellent fielders by the time they get to international level, so having someone with the responsibility to ensure that happens is a good idea.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2018, 15:25   #343
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 10,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
... You'd have liked to have thought that England would have learnt from the mess Strauss made of the Stokes saga.
If you're talking about yourself, of course you wouldn't like to have thought that about Strauss. Wouldn't you much rather just have a pop at him as per usual? He noticed KP is an @rsehole, remember, which must never be forgiven (the noticing, that is). As for other people, perhaps they may have moved on so far that they don't necessarily think Strauss made a mess of the Stokes saga.

Last edited by sanskritsimon : 8th February 2018 at 16:24.
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2018, 17:17   #344
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 28,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanskritsimon View Post
If you're talking about yourself, of course you wouldn't like to have thought that about Strauss. Wouldn't you much rather just have a pop at him as per usual? He noticed KP is an @rsehole, remember, which must never be forgiven (the noticing, that is). As for other people, perhaps they may have moved on so far that they don't necessarily think Strauss made a mess of the Stokes saga.
Why do you have to bring everything back to KP?

The Stokes saga was badly handled what with him being banned and then unbanned without anything changing except the holding of the Ashes.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 01:40   #345
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 42,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
Why do you have to bring everything back to KP?

The Stokes saga was badly handled what with him being banned and then unbanned without anything changing except the holding of the Ashes.
I don't see how else it could have been handled The matter was in the hands of the police. There was no way Stokes could have played in the Ashes with the incident hanging over him. He would have been a major distraction and there's no guarantee that he himself would be able to perform at his best.
__________________
As balanced and focused as the next man
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 02:49   #346
mustardcharlie
Established International
 
mustardcharlie's Avatar
You know there ain't no devil: It's just God when he's drun
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bedfordshire
Team(s): Yorkshire, England, LUFC, Otley RFC.
Age: 66
Posts: 4,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer View Post
I don't see how else it could have been handled The matter was in the hands of the police. There was no way Stokes could have played in the Ashes with the incident hanging over him. He would have been a major distraction and there's no guarantee that he himself would be able to perform at his best.
Well, the police could have handled it better. These incidents are usually dealt with in a few months. There is no reason why Stokes should be treated any differently than any other person. As far as I know, it is still "hanging over him". The right to a speedy trial is still a point in question and this should not drag on for this length of time.
__________________
Answers 3d
Answers (requiring thought) 6d
Answers (correct) 1s
mustardcharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 10:46   #347
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 42,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardcharlie View Post
Well, the police could have handled it better. These incidents are usually dealt with in a few months. There is no reason why Stokes should be treated any differently than any other person. As far as I know, it is still "hanging over him". The right to a speedy trial is still a point in question and this should not drag on for this length of time.
I agree. The police should have handled it better. I was just responding to the charge that it was all Straussís/ECBís fault.
__________________
As balanced and focused as the next man
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 16:25   #348
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 10,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
Why do you have to bring everything back to KP?

The Stokes saga was badly handled what with him being banned and then unbanned without anything changing except the holding of the Ashes.
I mention KP only because I think he may be the source of your tiresome animus against Strauss, which sees you blame Stauss for negative circumstances in English cricket wherever possible. I may be wrong about that, though. In any case, intervening posts show that it's perfectly possible not to have a go at Strauss over what happened with Stokes.
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 16:56   #349
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 28,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer View Post
I don't see how else it could have been handled The matter was in the hands of the police. There was no way Stokes could have played in the Ashes with the incident hanging over him. He would have been a major distraction and there's no guarantee that he himself would be able to perform at his best.
I'm staggered that people think the ECB have handled this situation competently.

A player was suspended without a hearing and then unsuspended with no material facts about the case changing in the interim period.

At least one of those stances has to be wrong.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2018, 15:10   #350
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 10,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
I'm staggered that people think the ECB have handled this situation competently.

A player was suspended without a hearing and then unsuspended with no material facts about the case changing in the interim period.

At least one of those stances has to be wrong.
I think your account is wrong. But why let the facts get in the way of your having a bash at Strauss?
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2018, 23:25   #351
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 28,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanskritsimon View Post
I think your account is wrong. But why let the facts get in the way of your having a bash at Strauss?
How is that account wrong?

Feel free to provide an explanation rather than just seek to malign me.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2018, 14:14   #352
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 10,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
... Feel free to provide an explanation rather than just seek to malign me.
I'm not trying to malign you, just reporting what I think is happening and why. Or do you have some other explanation of why you've been needlessly bagging Strauss for decades now?
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2018, 14:17   #353
AJ101
International Material
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanskritsimon View Post
I'm not trying to malign you, just reporting what I think is happening and why. Or do you have some other explanation of why you've been needlessly bagging Strauss for decades now?
They've handled it poorly (I would use a stronger word but at the end of the day it wasn't a crisis of their making), there's no reason if Stokes is Ok to play against NZ he shouldn't have been able to play against Australia.
AJ101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2018, 14:22   #354
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 10,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
How is that account wrong?
Well, for one thing, no one asserted that they thought the ECB had handled the situation competently. Rather, what happened was that there were several disagreements with your blaming everything on Strauss.
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2018, 17:30   #355
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 10,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ101 View Post
They've handled it poorly (I would use a stronger word but at the end of the day it wasn't a crisis of their making), there's no reason if Stokes is Ok to play against NZ he shouldn't have been able to play against Australia.
I'm not an expert by any means on this, but I can understand the ECB waiting until finding out what he was being charged with before giving him the ok to play. For example if he went to Australia there would have been a huge focus on him, and say the police decided in the middle of a Test match that they would charge him with a more serious offence, it would have been a huge distraction.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2018, 18:37   #356
AJ101
International Material
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
I'm not an expert by any means on this, but I can understand the ECB waiting until finding out what he was being charged with before giving him the ok to play. For example if he went to Australia there would have been a huge focus on him, and say the police decided in the middle of a Test match that they would charge him with a more serious offence, it would have been a huge distraction.
There would be a lot of focus on him anyway, there was before the "incident". How does him being charged now mean there will be less focus on him? Obviously a series against NZ isn't the Ashes but there will still be plenty of press harassing him whenever possible.

Sure if the police decided to charge him in the middle of a match would have been a distraction, I'm not sure him playing after flying straight after a court appearance is particularly less so?

Personally I'd have sent him to Australia but if he they decided not to because there'd be too much distraction then I don't see how that has really change now he's been charged. If they were waiting to see if he'd been charged and then carry on the "suspension" if he was and allow him to play if not I could understand their reasoning.
AJ101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2018, 14:55   #357
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 10,791
I suppose if the ECB attitude last autumn was "We'll wait to see what the police/judiciary think", then once he was charged their attitude would have been "Well, they can't think it was anything worse than affray".
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2018, 19:57   #358
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 28,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanskritsimon View Post
Well, for one thing, no one asserted that they thought the ECB had handled the situation competently. Rather, what happened was that there were several disagreements with your blaming everything on Strauss.
Are you saying such a matter wasn't under the remit of the Director of Cricket?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2018, 13:58   #359
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 10,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
Are you saying such a matter wasn't under the remit of the Director of Cricket?
I don't know what you mean by "such a matter". Nor, of course, do I know much about the inner workings of the ECB. But the remit of the police and the CPS are perhaps relevant here too.
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2018, 14:27   #360
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 28,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanskritsimon View Post
I don't know what you mean by "such a matter". Nor, of course, do I know much about the inner workings of the ECB. But the remit of the police and the CPS are perhaps relevant here too.
such a matter = the decision to suspend Stokes from England duty

That wasn't in the remit of the police or the CPS.

It was in the remit of Strauss, who also announced the decision.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:35.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© Cricket247.org