Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > England
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th January 2018, 20:13   #221
Fatslogger
Self Confessed Mentalist
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hitchin
Team(s): England and Liverpool
Age: 42
Posts: 43,385
World of difference between having done something you regret and have learned from, like say having too many drinks and been somewhere dubious and criminal liability like say committing affray.
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Fatslogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2018, 11:25   #222
WeAreKent
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 838
Ominous comments from District Judge Simon Cooper in court today: "From what Iíve seen, heard and read, this was an incident of sustained violence in the area of the nighttime economy in Bristol.

'All had been drinking, weapons were involved, significant injury was caused to one of the people.

'The matter does fall within the top level of my sentencing guidelines and on pleas of not guilty Iím satisfied that the likely sentence for at least one of these alleged participants is a sentence well in excess of this courtís sentencing powers for a charge of affray."

If found guilty, the judge has clearly signalled there that someone will be going to go to prison as a result of what happened on that now infamous night...
WeAreKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2018, 12:09   #223
D/L
Legendary
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 8,160
Interesting comments; although the "not guilty" plea was well trailed in the media, I'm surprised it has come to pass.
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2018, 15:17   #224
Psyduck
Posting God
 
Psyduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester
Team(s): England, Lancashire, Man Utd
Posts: 16,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreKent View Post
Ominous comments from District Judge Simon Cooper in court today: "From what Iíve seen, heard and read, this was an incident of sustained violence in the area of the nighttime economy in Bristol.

'All had been drinking, weapons were involved, significant injury was caused to one of the people.

'The matter does fall within the top level of my sentencing guidelines and on pleas of not guilty Iím satisfied that the likely sentence for at least one of these alleged participants is a sentence well in excess of this courtís sentencing powers for a charge of affray."

If found guilty, the judge has clearly signalled there that someone will be going to go to prison as a result of what happened on that now infamous night...
LOL! Nobody will be going to prison for affray.
Psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2018, 15:41   #225
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 6,631
"Weapons" ?
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2018, 15:44   #226
Sir Coolerking
County Pro
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
"Weapons" ?
Automatic Assault Bottle!!
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2018, 15:45   #227
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 6,631
"WeAreKent" is like the witchsmeller pursuivant in Blackadder - he will be suggesting Stokes is thrown into the river Avon and if he floats then is guilty and has to be decapitated.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2018, 16:21   #228
WeAreKent
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyduck View Post
LOL! Nobody will be going to prison for affray.
That entirely depends on the jury and the judge , not you m8

Affray carries a sentence of up to three years and our prisons are full of people convicted of the offence.

Jock McTufnell - can you explain your post? Bit early to be on the sauce, isn't it?
WeAreKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2018, 17:33   #229
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 6,631
I was commenting on your ever increasing lust for medieval levels of punishment to be doled out to defendants who have yet to have a trial. Can hear you sharpening your blade from here.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2018, 18:52   #230
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 27,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyduck View Post
LOL! Nobody will be going to prison for affray.
It is an indictable offence with up to 3 years imprisonment.

Stokes would have opted for trial by jury anyway (although certain people seem to want to abolish that right it seems).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
"Weapons" ?
Yes, this is an interesting development. Previously only a bottle (singular) was mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
Automatic Assault Bottle!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
"WeAreKent" is like the witchsmeller pursuivant in Blackadder - he will be suggesting Stokes is thrown into the river Avon and if he floats then is guilty and has to be decapitated.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2018, 20:10   #231
WeAreKent
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
I was commenting on your ever increasing lust for medieval levels of punishment to be doled out to defendants who have yet to have a trial. Can hear you sharpening your blade from here.
Well if you are sober you really are an even bigger melodramatic jerk than we thought.

I have no "lust" for punishment. I've made my living as a journo for more than 40 years and my only "lust" is for the truth and for where the story is heading.

Time you grew up, 'Jock' - although it is probably far too late for that.

Last edited by WeAreKent : 13th February 2018 at 20:27.
WeAreKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2018, 21:06   #232
square leg umpire
Legendary
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 8,563
Strange the judge using language like "sustained violence" "weapons involved" and "significant injury" and the charge is only affray. With the latter it should be ABH at least or even GBH. Could His Honour have got carried away?
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2018, 21:46   #233
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 6,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreKent View Post
Well if you are sober you really are an even bigger melodramatic jerk than we thought.

I have no "lust" for punishment. I've made my living as a journo for more than 40 years and my only "lust" is for the truth and for where the story is heading.

Time you grew up, 'Jock' - although it is probably far too late for that.
ďOminous commentsĒ - sounds like you are licking your lips at the thought of a long sentence...
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2018, 10:38   #234
D/L
Legendary
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 8,160
Some comments and apparent inferences from some amateur psychologists I wouldn't take very seriously here.

If the layman's view of an affray that it is a fight, a scuffle, a physical altercation, or whatever, is not incorrect, in view of the evidence in the public domain, a not guilty plea is very surprising.

It begs the question as to whether Stokes has decided upon his plea against advice or whether his briefs have a cunning plan, one so cunning there seems to be nothing to recommend it.
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2018, 10:41   #235
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 27,897
Some comments and apparent inferences from some amateur lawyers I wouldn't take very seriously.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2018, 10:48   #236
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 6,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
Some comments and apparent inferences from some amateur lawyers I wouldn't take very seriously.
Some are professional journos though - it's always who I turn to for legal advice.

I can't imagine Stokes has gone for the public defender -I'd should imagine a very expensive silk will be in the first class carriage to Bristol next month.

Let's see what happens in the trial before we round up the lynch mob.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2018, 13:51   #237
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 10,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
... I'd should imagine a very expensive silk will be in the first class carriage to Bristol next month. ...
I hope so. Last time I was in commoner class on the great western I was sitting within earshot of a terribly tedious telephone conversation whose main topic seemed to be that the person back in the office needed to make sure that the correct ludicrous amounts of lolly were collected from various customers. Sad to say, the economic corpulence of certain lawyers is good evidence that legal proceedings in this country are routinely affected by a monetary injection from the defendant. I think the word for this kind of thing when it happens in other countries is probably bribery. Remember when Swann got off his drink-driving charge because he is rich?
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2018, 17:18   #238
square leg umpire
Legendary
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 8,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanskritsimon View Post
I hope so. Last time I was in commoner class on the great western I was sitting within earshot of a terribly tedious telephone conversation whose main topic seemed to be that the person back in the office needed to make sure that the correct ludicrous amounts of lolly were collected from various customers. Sad to say, the economic corpulence of certain lawyers is good evidence that legal proceedings in this country are routinely affected by a monetary injection from the defendant. I think the word for this kind of thing when it happens in other countries is probably bribery. Remember when Swann got off his drink-driving charge because he is rich?
Bribery is when the judge takes money, never heard that suggested. The wealth of certain lawyers is caused by them supposedly being good at what they do.
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2018, 18:14   #239
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 27,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanskritsimon View Post
I hope so. Last time I was in commoner class on the great western I was sitting within earshot of a terribly tedious telephone conversation whose main topic seemed to be that the person back in the office needed to make sure that the correct ludicrous amounts of lolly were collected from various customers. Sad to say, the economic corpulence of certain lawyers is good evidence that legal proceedings in this country are routinely affected by a monetary injection from the defendant. I think the word for this kind of thing when it happens in other countries is probably bribery. Remember when Swann got off his drink-driving charge because he is rich?
Money definitely provides a better defence. I expect Stokes' lawyer is spending vastly more time pouring over the details of the case whereas the other two defendants may only have legal aid advice from a legal aid lawyer who's rushed off their feet and only had time to glance at the file and the briefest of interviews with their client.

Unfortunately this government just doesn't value justice and has been unwilling to fund legal aid and the court system.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2018, 21:09   #240
square leg umpire
Legendary
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 8,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
Money definitely provides a better defence. I expect Stokes' lawyer is spending vastly more time pouring over the details of the case whereas the other two defendants may only have legal aid advice from a legal aid lawyer who's rushed off their feet and only had time to glance at the file and the briefest of interviews with their client.

Unfortunately this government just doesn't value justice and has been unwilling to fund legal aid and the court system.
don't suppose the funding is very different from what it always was. People getting legal aid for civil cases is the problem.
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 00:05.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© Cricket247.org