Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > England
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th February 2016, 15:41   #181
CDogg16
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 4,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Hales has now established himself as our odi opener for a while now. May also indicate he needs a little more time in tests too.
Hales has definitely showed he can succeed in ODIs. After years of trying to make Test players into ODI players, we are now doing the reverse, turning One day players into Test players.

Before this series, some were calling for Hales to be dropped from the one day side based on his Test performances. I thought this was a daft argument, and think the same of the argument he's done well in the one day side, he's now cemented as Test opener just as weak.
CDogg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2016, 15:54   #182
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 18,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDogg16 View Post
Hales has definitely showed he can succeed in ODIs. After years of trying to make Test players into ODI players, we are now doing the reverse, turning One day players into Test players.

Before this series, some were calling for Hales to be dropped from the one day side based on his Test performances. I thought this was a daft argument, and think the same of the argument he's done well in the one day side, he's now cemented as Test opener just as weak.
Cemented? No. But he's shown an aptitude for international cricket and improved a lot over time. This perhaps suggests he might, and I mean might, have the capability to do the same in tests. It's not as if he has much competition for the role.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2016, 16:39   #183
Redmachine
International Material
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Cemented? No. But he's shown an aptitude for international cricket and improved a lot over time. This perhaps suggests he might, and I mean might, have the capability to do the same in tests. It's not as if he has much competition for the role.
I think he's bought himself some test match time, but probably won't open.
Redmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2016, 16:49   #184
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 18,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmachine View Post
I think he's bought himself some test match time, but probably won't open.
Compton?

Just realised this thread is over five years old. Yikes
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2016, 16:50   #185
Redmachine
International Material
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Compton?

Just realised this thread is over five years old. Yikes
Yeah. I think they'll drop Hales down to 4 or 5 and shift everyone up.
Redmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2016, 16:53   #186
CDogg16
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 4,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmachine View Post
Yeah. I think they'll drop Hales down to 4 or 5 and shift everyone up.
Hales isn't a number four. Why would you put Root up to three when he's done so well at four? If Hales plays, it should be as an opener or at three.

Keep an eye on Alex Lees' early season form.
CDogg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2016, 17:13   #187
Rigs
International Material
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Nottingham
Team(s): Notts and Forest
Posts: 1,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDogg16 View Post
Hales isn't a number four. Why would you put Root up to three when he's done so well at four? If Hales plays, it should be as an opener or at three.

Keep an eye on Alex Lees' early season form.
Why so? Having seen him bat for Notts (opening and lower down) and England with the red ball, I would much rather see him play at 4,5,6 for England as opposed to opening. He just doesn't have the technique to open with the red ball for England. This may improve but I think the best approach may be to shift him down to get some runs and then move him back when he has built his confidence.
__________________
This is an ex-Parrot
Rigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2016, 17:38   #188
Redmachine
International Material
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDogg16 View Post
Hales isn't a number four. Why would you put Root up to three when he's done so well at four? If Hales plays, it should be as an opener or at three.

Keep an eye on Alex Lees' early season form.
I'm not saying that's what I'd do, but I think it's what will happen. Bayliss basically said as much after the test series.

Hales' best hits for Notts have been at 4/5/6.

For what it's worth, I'd leave Hales out for the 1st test. I feel the same way about him as I do about Buttler. They are two of my favourite one day players, but they have a lot of work to do if they want to play test cricket. I'd pick Vince at 3 and leave Root and Taylor where they are.
Redmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2016, 17:44   #189
YAMS
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmachine View Post
Hales' best hits for Notts have been at 4/5/6.
Incorrect. Not even close to correct actually.
YAMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2016, 18:07   #190
Redmachine
International Material
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAMS View Post
Incorrect. Not even close to correct actually.

He only started opening again half way through last season when, presumably the ECB, instructed Notts to give him that chance.
Redmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2016, 18:09   #191
YAMS
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmachine View Post
He only started opening again half way through last season when, presumably the ECB, instructed Notts to give him that chance.
He's been at 3 for a while at Notts. Mainly because we have been alternating our openers for 3 seasons now. All sorts have had an attempt. Mullaney & Lumb were alternating opening with Taylor last season. When Lumb got injured Hales went back up to open.

His best scores/performances have been opening or at 3. He's played very little at 4, 5 or 6.

Last edited by YAMS : 14th February 2016 at 18:32.
YAMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2016, 18:14   #192
CDogg16
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 4,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigs View Post
Why so? Having seen him bat for Notts (opening and lower down) and England with the red ball, I would much rather see him play at 4,5,6 for England as opposed to opening. He just doesn't have the technique to open with the red ball for England. This may improve but I think the best approach may be to shift him down to get some runs and then move him back when he has built his confidence.
So you want to move Root, Bairstow and Stokes around to fit an under performing opener into the side as a makeshift number six?
CDogg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2016, 01:16   #193
Rigs
International Material
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Nottingham
Team(s): Notts and Forest
Posts: 1,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDogg16 View Post
So you want to move Root, Bairstow and Stokes around to fit an under performing opener into the side as a makeshift number six?
If they want to keep him in the test side then they may have to. As a Notts fan I am happy to see him back playing at 3 while England try yet another opening combo.
__________________
This is an ex-Parrot
Rigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2016, 07:49   #194
Rebelstar
International Material
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmachine View Post
I think he's bought himself some test match time, but probably won't open.
I'd suggest he's now looking for a partner to open in ODIs with him, but not sure he'll get a lot longer in Tests.

In fact I would not be surprised if he wasn't Cook's opening partner come the next Test, he may be but 136 runs @ 17.00 and no kind of pace are hardly making his case for him regardless of ODI form.

Best case scenario he suddenly shows his ODI form in Tests, more realistic hope is he settles in and maybe averages mid 30s, but whilst he's showing he's worth a place in the ODI side at the moment I don't believe England should be bending over backwards to fit him in the Test side.

Of course England may just switch him and Compton in the order.
Rebelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2016, 07:50   #195
Fatslogger
Self Confessed Mentalist
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hitchin
Team(s): England and Liverpool
Age: 42
Posts: 43,343
I wonder whether the Hales story would illustrate to anyone the folly of dropping Roy at this stage.
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Fatslogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2016, 07:59   #196
Redmachine
International Material
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelstar View Post
I'd suggest he's now looking for a partner to open in ODIs with him, but not sure he'll get a lot longer in Tests.

In fact I would not be surprised if he wasn't Cook's opening partner come the next Test, he may be but 136 runs @ 17.00 and no kind of pace are hardly making his case for him regardless of ODI form.

Best case scenario he suddenly shows his ODI form in Tests, more realistic hope is he settles in and maybe averages mid 30s, but whilst he's showing he's worth a place in the ODI side at the moment I don't believe England should be bending over backwards to fit him in the Test side.

Of course England may just switch him and Compton in the order.
The Compton-Hales switch is exactly what I was saying will happen.
Redmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2016, 08:18   #197
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 24,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatslogger View Post
I wonder whether the Hales story would illustrate to anyone the folly of dropping Roy at this stage.
Roy had a decent series against the Aussies and a good series v Pakistan, so it is more than a little knee-jerky at this point. He also started off this series alright before losing form. He is a bit too reckless for his own good at this early stage but needs to be given the extra games to learn how to deal with international bowling.
Chin Music is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2016, 11:03   #198
D/L
World Class
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 7,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Hales has now established himself as our odi opener for a while now. May also indicate he needs a little more time in tests too.
Probably so, though he enjoyed great good fortune throughout the series. Does the white ball leave a mark on the bat? If so, he may be wiping a few off the inside edge.

Re the second point, no, I think we've seen enough.
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2016, 12:30   #199
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 42,209
A few months ago I thought Roy was making better progress than Hales but in this series the situation was reversed. I'd certainly stick with Roy for a while.
__________________
As balanced and focused as the next man
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2016, 14:04   #200
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 18,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer View Post
A few months ago I thought Roy was making better progress than Hales but in this series the situation was reversed. I'd certainly stick with Roy for a while.
Such is form and fortune.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:59.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org