Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > England
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th July 2015, 15:45   #1
CDogg16
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 4,000
Mark Wood Thread

When Wood first came into the team he looked like a breath of fresh air, a bowler who could bowl fast and make something happen. Despite the early positives, his numbers aren't great and he hasn't always maintained his pace.

Given he has played few first class games for Durham, it's difficult to get a gauge for how good he is. At the minute I think he merits a place in the team, but I'm not sure he's a massive upgrade on Finn.
CDogg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 15:56   #2
D/L
Legendary
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 8,450
Faster than Finn, a darn sight more accurate, better in the field and can hold a bat.

Much will depend upon how he goes in the rest of this series.
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 16:07   #3
slop
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): South Africa
Age: 42
Posts: 18,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDogg16 View Post
When Wood first came into the team he looked like a breath of fresh air, a bowler who could bowl fast and make something happen. Despite the early positives, his numbers aren't great and he hasn't always maintained his pace.

Given he has played few first class games for Durham, it's difficult to get a gauge for how good he is. At the minute I think he merits a place in the team, but I'm not sure he's a massive upgrade on Finn.
Me neither. I've not seen much of Wood, as you note, but his runup and action look unsustainable to me, and don't suggest consistency. Mostly just a feeling, rather than any fast bowling knowledge on my part, but he doesn't have the menace of someone like Johnson to make up for what I think will be fairly decent but innocuous bowling most of the time.
slop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 16:27   #4
CDogg16
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 4,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by slop View Post
Me neither. I've not seen much of Wood, as you note, but his runup and action look unsustainable to me, and don't suggest consistency. Mostly just a feeling, rather than any fast bowling knowledge on my part, but he doesn't have the menace of someone like Johnson to make up for what I think will be fairly decent but innocuous bowling most of the time.
Are his injury problems due to his run up?
CDogg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 17:13   #5
slop
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): South Africa
Age: 42
Posts: 18,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDogg16 View Post
Are his injury problems due to his run up?
I don't know, but that wouldn't surprise me.
slop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2015, 08:32   #6
D/L
Legendary
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 8,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDogg16 View Post
Are his injury problems due to his run up?
Probably not. Some players are just naturally more injury prone than others.
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2015, 12:41   #7
CDogg16
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 4,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by D/L View Post
Probably not. Some players are just naturally more injury prone than others.
Looks like he could be injured for the third Test. Will be a loss for England given the lack of quality bowlers.
CDogg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 07:05   #8
Rebelstar
International Material
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,790
You can analyse his action, pace, what he offers in theory etc, but what counts is end product and he had a decent series against the kiwis and not having such a good time against the aussies.

He took 9 wickets for 33.22 in 2 Tests vs the kiwis, picked up a wicket or more every time he bowled but nothing I'd call a decisive return ie 3/93 and 3/97 are decent figures, decisive might be a 3/60 or lower.

He picked up a couple of 2-fers in the 1st Ashes Test, decent supporting figures, but 1/131 in the 2nd Test has destroyed his series average (50.00)

Still it is early career, I'd take his batting as handy but he's in the side to take wickets and at the moment I'm unconvinced by him and he may be one of several players in the side who need to put in a performance or two or their place be in jeopardy - as a relative newbie he'll be more vulnerable, they always are.
Rebelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 07:48   #9
draexem
County Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDogg16 View Post
Looks like he could be injured for the third Test. Will be a loss for England given the lack of quality bowlers.
Not necessarily. Finn is a much greater bowling talent than Wood, before England fiddled with his action inappropriately that is. Depending on which Finn turns up, Wood won't be missed at all.
draexem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 09:19   #10
D/L
Legendary
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 8,450
Danger is it will be the Finn that turned up against the Aussies at Trent Bridge a couple of years ago and had to have half his overs bowled by Anderson.

There's no point saying Finn used to be good - most would agree with that, but he's lost his pace and without that he offers little. His fielding and batting are poor too. Wood is much the better option, if fit.
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 21:42   #11
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 851 Cummins 149 Wagner 147 TCurran 21 SCurran 15
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by D/L View Post
Danger is it will be the Finn that turned up against the Aussies at Trent Bridge a couple of years ago and had to have half his overs bowled by Anderson.

There's no point saying Finn used to be good - most would agree with that, but he's lost his pace and without that he offers little. His fielding and batting are poor too. Wood is much the better option, if fit.
Finn strike rate 47.9
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 22:05   #12
Minor Maggie
Buttleresque
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Lancashire, England
Posts: 26,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
Finn strike rate 47.9
Best one post war.
Minor Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 23:25   #13
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 851 Cummins 149 Wagner 147 TCurran 21 SCurran 15
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor Maggie View Post
Best one post war.



http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...s;type=bowling

Last edited by 1000yardstare : 30th July 2015 at 01:07.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2015, 02:17   #14
stevieh
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Team(s): England, Kent, Canada
Posts: 7,119
Finn's bowling today, in place of Mark Wood, was exactly the support which Jimmy Anderson and Stuart Broad required to prompt the Aussie collapse. It became apparent quickly that there was no respite from the seaming ball.

Gunning down Steve Smith and the captain Clarke in quick succession was a major coup. Wood looks to have an excellent future with England, longer term, but the firing Finn, with his height and pace, gave us an extra dimension today.
stevieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2015, 09:09   #15
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 10,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieh View Post
Finn's bowling today, in place of Mark Wood, was exactly the support which Jimmy Anderson and Stuart Broad required to prompt the Aussie collapse. It became apparent quickly that there was no respite from the seaming ball.

Gunning down Steve Smith and the captain Clarke in quick succession was a major coup. Wood looks to have an excellent future with England, longer term, but the firing Finn, with his height and pace, gave us an extra dimension today.
Finn is the most likely person to take on Jimmy's role as leader of the attack, so it's important that he is bowling well. He has everything, it's just been a case of how long it takes to unruin him.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2015, 10:09   #16
D/L
Legendary
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 8,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
Finn strike rate 47.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor Maggie View Post
Best one post war.
That's it then. He must be great. The figures say so.
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2015, 10:12   #17
D/L
Legendary
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 8,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
Finn is the most likely person to take on Jimmy's role as leader of the attack, so it's important that he is bowling well. He has everything, it's just been a case of how long it takes to unruin him.
As if he has some divine right to it (whatever leader of the attack actually means)? He'd have to earn it first and that would mean a consistently good, long series of performances.

He is not as good as he was about 3 years ago but he's young enough to get back to something like that standard. Like many very tall bowlers reaching a certain point in their career, I can't see him getting back his earlier pace, though.
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2015, 11:06   #18
draexem
County Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 981
Tall bowlers don't need to be express, low to mid 140s is plenty. They bring the ball down from such a height that it'll need to travel further to reach the batsman anyway. And taller people are more prone to breaking down.
draexem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2015, 11:52   #19
D/L
Legendary
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 8,450
If you do the trigonometry, it would reveal that an extra few inches of height actually makes little difference over the distance to where the ball pitches. It is pace and where the ball pitches that produces the bounce. It's a commonly held misconception that height is the main factor and makes a significant difference to the angle at which the ball hits the pitch.
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2015, 15:55   #20
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 10,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by D/L View Post
... It's a commonly held misconception that height is the main factor and makes a significant difference to the angle at which the ball hits the pitch.
Barring upswing or downswing, I think the height of the release is the only factor that can affect that angle other than the length that is bowled.
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:51.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org