Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > The Kim Jones Domestic Cricket Forum
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th April 2016, 20:34   #1
Summer of 77
Legendary
 
Summer of 77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 9,458
One Thousand Runs

A few weeks ago, there was some speculation as to whether I.R.Bell, chomping at the bit with plenty to prove, might be a decent bet to achieve the rare feat of 1000 runs before the end of May. Bell made 25 in Warks' opening match against Leeds Bradford MCCU; this by no means rules him out of the chase but others have exploited undergraduate bowling to a greater advantage. Kent's Daniel Bell-Drummond joined the leading pack with a maiden double-hundred today. The current highest scorers are:

Jaik Mickleburgh - 227
Steven Davies - 224
Ian Cockbain - 213
Daniel Bell-Drummond 206
Daryl Mitchell - 196
Nick Browne - 188

Five of the above are Div Two players. Given the lower standard of bowling in that league, and the anticipated improvement in early season pitches delivered by new rules governing the toss, it may be that one of these fellows stands the strongest chance. Although, the current leader Mickleburgh might not get too many more knocks, given the imminent return of the England skipper to Essex's ranks.
Summer of 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2016, 20:40   #2
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 28,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
A few weeks ago, there was some speculation as to whether I.R.Bell, chomping at the bit with plenty to prove, might be a decent bet to achieve the rare feat of 1000 runs before the end of May. Bell made 25 in Warks' opening match against Leeds Bradford MCCU; this by no means rules him out of the chase but others have exploited undergraduate bowling to a greater advantage. Kent's Daniel Bell-Drummond joined the leading pack with a maiden double-hundred today. The current highest scorers are:

Jaik Mickleburgh - 227
Steven Davies - 224
Ian Cockbain - 213
Daniel Bell-Drummond 206
Daryl Mitchell - 196
Nick Browne - 188

Five of the above are Div Two players. Given the lower standard of bowling in that league, and the anticipated improvement in early season pitches delivered by new rules governing the toss, it may be that one of these fellows stands the strongest chance. Although, the current leader Mickleburgh might not get too many more knocks, given the imminent return of the England skipper to Essex's ranks.
I seem to remember there being a big hooha last year about how runs against the students didn't count and that anyone could score them....
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2016, 20:47   #3
Summer of 77
Legendary
 
Summer of 77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 9,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
I seem to remember there being a big hooha last year about how runs against the students didn't count and that anyone could score them....
Goochie Gooch has often commented wryly that his runs made against some quality South African attacks in the first 'rebel' tour don't count anywhere, yet his numerous hundreds against the universities are all in the first-class records.
Summer of 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2016, 21:12   #4
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 23,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
Goochie Gooch has often commented wryly that his runs made against some quality South African attacks in the first 'rebel' tour don't count anywhere, yet his numerous hundreds against the universities are all in the first-class records.
That is a bit like Ravi bopara having three test hundreds in a row vs the West Indies!
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2016, 22:11   #5
Summer of 77
Legendary
 
Summer of 77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 9,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
That is a bit like Ravi bopara having three test hundreds in a row vs the West Indies!
And Rob key making the sixth highest ever Test score at Lord's (v West Indies).
Summer of 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2016, 22:46   #6
square leg umpire
Legendary
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 9,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
Goochie Gooch has often commented wryly that his runs made against some quality South African attacks in the first 'rebel' tour don't count anywhere, yet his numerous hundreds against the universities are all in the first-class records.
A lot of players who played in the Packer series are miffed they aren't counted in the records. The university fixtures were continued long after their teams were 1st class in name only. Whether through snobbery or because the county players enjoyed them.
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2016, 22:49   #7
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 28,778
There's nothing wrong with scoring runs.

The problem is when you average just 20.85 over your last dozen tests.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2016, 23:12   #8
Rigs
International Material
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Nottingham
Team(s): Notts and Forest
Posts: 1,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
A few weeks ago, there was some speculation as to whether I.R.Bell, chomping at the bit with plenty to prove, might be a decent bet to achieve the rare feat of 1000 runs before the end of May. Bell made 25 in Warks' opening match against Leeds Bradford MCCU; this by no means rules him out of the chase but others have exploited undergraduate bowling to a greater advantage. Kent's Daniel Bell-Drummond joined the leading pack with a maiden double-hundred today. The current highest scorers are:

Jaik Mickleburgh - 227
Steven Davies - 224
Ian Cockbain - 213
Daniel Bell-Drummond 206
Daryl Mitchell - 196
Nick Browne - 188

Five of the above are Div Two players. Given the lower standard of bowling in that league, and the anticipated improvement in early season pitches delivered by new rules governing the toss, it may be that one of these fellows stands the strongest chance. Although, the current leader Mickleburgh might not get too many more knocks, given the imminent return of the England skipper to Essex's ranks.
Mattheus Hendrik Wessels.....England qualified don't you know
__________________
This is an ex-Parrot
Rigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 06:26   #9
Summer of 77
Legendary
 
Summer of 77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 9,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by square leg umpire View Post
A lot of players who played in the Packer series are miffed they aren't counted in the records. The university fixtures were continued long after their teams were 1st class in name only. Whether through snobbery or because the county players enjoyed them.
Indeed. During WSC, Greg Chappell made some seriously good runs against attacks such as Roberts, Imran, Garner, Daniel & Greig, yet the data is not readily available to help show future generations just how exceptional a batsman he was.
Summer of 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 18:33   #10
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 28,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
Indeed. During WSC, Greg Chappell made some seriously good runs against attacks such as Roberts, Imran, Garner, Daniel & Greig, yet the data is not readily available to help show future generations just how exceptional a batsman he was.
Did you watch WSC? (was it available to watch in England?)

Where would you rate it in terms of quality?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 19:16   #11
Summer of 77
Legendary
 
Summer of 77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 9,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
Did you watch WSC? (was it available to watch in England?)

Where would you rate it in terms of quality?
It wasn't on UK TV. The anecdotal evidence suggests it was extremely hard fought. Many Australian fans were initially sceptical but recognised it was for real when Hookes was knocked sparko by a bumper and batsmen on all sides were bobbing and weaving for their lives. Dennis Amiss introduced his 'motor cycle helmet' during his WSC stint.

WSC participants have commented on how it 'professionalised' the top players - the Windies side in particular increasing their fitness levels considerably. There may not have been the old style national pride at stake but the lucrative contracts (which Packer would occasionally threaten to withdraw) were a huge incentive to perform. The South African contingent, denied top-notch cricket for almost a decade, had their own compelling incentive (Richards topped the Supertest batting averages, Le Roux and Procter the bowling).

After the early WSC encounters were played on pitches of dubious quality, John Maley developed his drop-in pitches and these were roundly lauded as being of top quality - true and full of pace. From my readings, it seems that runs and wickets all had to be earned.

Not all participants emerged from WSC with their previously robust reputations intact. The big winners were the West Indies who, as Holding and others have remarked, developed from being a very good set of players into one of the greatest of all teams.

It's difficult not to conclude that WSC produced cricket of an extremely high quality..especially when judged against the official Test series being played concurrently (which often weren't very good at all).
Summer of 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 20:55   #12
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 28,778
The WSC (and maybe also carry on to cover the Rebel Tours) is probably the era I'd write about if I were to research and write a cricket book.

It's fascinating and the parallels between Greig and Pietersen, T20 and WSC, the TCCB(?) and the ECB etc means it is as relevant as ever.

It's even one of the leading legal cases on tortious interference. I once got paid to read all about it. I'd have done that for free!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 23:13   #13
square leg umpire
Legendary
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 9,007
Sky once did a program on it shown in the lunch interval of a recent test. Michael Holding was indignant about criticisms of the quality. I worked with somebody at the time who was convinced the players were just turning up and going through the motions for the fat paycheck. He should have told that to Mr Holding. One interesting snippet is that for some reason the West Indies wore pink uniforms. Holding didn't like that.
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2016, 14:12   #14
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 28,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by square leg umpire View Post
Sky once did a program on it shown in the lunch interval of a recent test. Michael Holding was indignant about criticisms of the quality. I worked with somebody at the time who was convinced the players were just turning up and going through the motions for the fat paycheck. He should have told that to Mr Holding. One interesting snippet is that for some reason the West Indies wore pink uniforms. Holding didn't like that.
I've heard people describe it as some of the toughest cricket they've played. I expect like county cricket there were times when they were going through the motions but it also produced passages of cricket when people really stepped it up and were going full blast (T20 here started out as a bit of a laugh but then got more serious). What's difficult to gauge is what the balance and whether it was more of the former or latter, particularly as this may have fluctuated year to year.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2016, 16:51   #15
Summer of 77
Legendary
 
Summer of 77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 9,458
Back to the original topic (not that the diversion isn't fascinating), and Basil Akram of Loughborough Studes has just reached his second century of the season to go crashing through the 'one-quarter' mark of the thousand. What's he doing batting at 7 and 8? There's one more LMCCU game and I guess that's it for Bazza until he becomes available for Hants later in the Summer.

No other thousand runs related news worthy of mention today.
Summer of 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2016, 17:14   #16
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 28,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
Back to the original topic (not that the diversion isn't fascinating), and Basil Akram of Loughborough Studes has just reached his second century of the season to go crashing through the 'one-quarter' mark of the thousand. What's he doing batting at 7 and 8? There's one more LMCCU game and I guess that's it for Bazza until he becomes available for Hants later in the Summer.

No other thousand runs related news worthy of mention today.
You guess wrong!

I think only the first two uni matches have fc status (you'll remember last year a certain whistler's runs against the students didn't count) and he's on Hampshire's released list.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2016, 17:27   #17
Summer of 77
Legendary
 
Summer of 77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 9,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
You guess wrong!

I think only the first two uni matches have fc status (you'll remember last year a certain whistler's runs against the students didn't count) and he's on Hampshire's released list.
Ahh. now you've prompted me, yes I do recall. The ECB really needs to make a proper decision about the Uni matches.

Akram's scored heaps of runs and taken a few wickets in these two games. I wonder if any other counties' attentions have been tickled?
Summer of 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2016, 17:50   #18
paulsre
World Class
 
paulsre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In a class 101 Met Cam time machine to the past
Team(s): Stockholm Taverners CC, Farsta BCCE, County cricket, MCCU cricket, England, Scarborough CC
Posts: 6,335
Yes, Basil Akram with 260 runs and Blly Root with 195 have shown it's not always about the counties getting easy runs against the students.

I think the reason Akram was batting lower down the order was simple - he hadn't previously been considered a top-order batsman - his highest 2nd XI score seems to be 50.

I saw the innings at The Oval and it was very impressive against the likes of Footitt, Dunn and the Currans, so his game must have surged forwards.
paulsre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2016, 17:50   #19
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 28,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
Ahh. now you've prompted me, yes I do recall. The ECB really needs to make a proper decision about the Uni matches.

Akram's scored heaps of runs and taken a few wickets in these two games. I wonder if any other counties' attentions have been tickled?
I'd be surprised if he didn't get a few 2nd XI offers at the very least.

I reckon Leicestershire.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2016, 18:08   #20
Summer of 77
Legendary
 
Summer of 77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 9,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
I'd be surprised if he didn't get a few 2nd XI offers at the very least.

I reckon Leicestershire.
Or back to County Essex?
Summer of 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:14.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org