Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > England
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th December 2018, 09:45   #1
Vim Vigour
Bat In Hand
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 3
New Zealand vs England Tests 2019 ?

Hello

I'm planning a trip to NZ to visit family and by a quirk of fortune we appear to be touring in Nov/Dec 2019.
Does anyone know anything about the schedule ? Very little info out there atm.
Last tour was Dunedin, Wellington and Auckland so one of them wont feature this time as only 2 tests.

Anyway, any comments or tips on heading down and around that neck of the woods is appreciated.

VV
Vim Vigour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2018, 09:53   #2
DanielVettoriSpin
International Cricketer
 
DanielVettoriSpin's Avatar
DeviousVettoriSpin plots the downfall of another unfortunate
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wellington, NZ
Team(s): New Zealand, Essex & England
Posts: 2,745
Send a message via Yahoo to DanielVettoriSpin
I live in Wellington. Happy to give you any tips. I'm surprised England would be touring in Nov/Dec 2019 though. NZ are scheduled to play in the 2019 MCG Boxing Day Test (https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricke...test-confirmed) and England only toured earlier this year.

If England were touring NZ, it would usually be in Summer, not Spring (i.e. Jan-Mar 2020), but I'd be surprised.

Nothing in the scheduled World Test Championship (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019&#...2019–20), though I guess England could be popping by for some ODI/T20 jollies.
__________________
Supporting
Essex County Cricket Club, Wellington, Peter Such, Iain O'Brien and Ross Taylor
DanielVettoriSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2018, 10:00   #3
DanielVettoriSpin
International Cricketer
 
DanielVettoriSpin's Avatar
DeviousVettoriSpin plots the downfall of another unfortunate
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wellington, NZ
Team(s): New Zealand, Essex & England
Posts: 2,745
Send a message via Yahoo to DanielVettoriSpin
Hmmm. The FTP has a 2 Test, 5 T20 series vs. England between October and December 2019. https://www.icc-cricket.com/future-tours-and-events

That's a shocking time of year for cricket. Weather in October/November is highly erratic.

Supposedly Tests are scheduled for Auckland and Christchurch. Eden Park is a terrible ground for cricket, but Hagley Oval, Christchurch is 2nd best to the Basin Reserve. If this is true, it'd be the 2nd tour in a row that England don't play at NZ's home of cricket (the Basin).

5 T20s at that time of year... Given it's England, they'd probably be at the main grounds where big turnouts could be expected: Eden Park (Auckland), Seddon Park (Hamilton), Westpac Stadium (Wellington), Hagley Oval (Christchurch), University Oval (Dunedin). However, to hedge the bets on the weather mockers, there could be options at the Bay Oval (Mount Maunganui).

Still seems a bit strange to me.
__________________
Supporting
Essex County Cricket Club, Wellington, Peter Such, Iain O'Brien and Ross Taylor
DanielVettoriSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2018, 10:07   #4
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 20,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielVettoriSpin View Post
Hmmm. The FTP has a 2 Test, 5 T20 series vs. England between October and December 2019. https://www.icc-cricket.com/future-tours-and-events

That's a shocking time of year for cricket. Weather in October/November is highly erratic.

Supposedly Tests are scheduled for Auckland and Christchurch. Eden Park is a terrible ground for cricket, but Hagley Oval, Christchurch is 2nd best to the Basin Reserve. If this is true, it'd be the 2nd tour in a row that England don't play at NZ's home of cricket (the Basin).

5 T20s at that time of year... Given it's England, they'd probably be at the main grounds where big turnouts could be expected: Eden Park (Auckland), Seddon Park (Hamilton), Westpac Stadium (Wellington), Hagley Oval (Christchurch), University Oval (Dunedin). However, to hedge the bets on the weather mockers, there could be options at the Bay Oval (Mount Maunganui).

Still seems a bit strange to me.
There are weirder thngs in the England schedule. Like playing 10 tests in 9 months v India in 2021, followed by an away Ashes tour.

Or looking ahead to autumn 2022 when England play 5 ODIs and 3 tests v Pakistan, separated by a quick hop over to Australia to play some limited over matches.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2018, 10:10   #5
DanielVettoriSpin
International Cricketer
 
DanielVettoriSpin's Avatar
DeviousVettoriSpin plots the downfall of another unfortunate
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wellington, NZ
Team(s): New Zealand, Essex & England
Posts: 2,745
Send a message via Yahoo to DanielVettoriSpin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vim Vigour View Post
Last tour was Dunedin, Wellington and Auckland so one of them wont feature this time as only 2 tests.
Dunners, Wellington, Auckland was the previous tour (2013?)

The most recent series was Auckland and Christchurch (2017-18)
__________________
Supporting
Essex County Cricket Club, Wellington, Peter Such, Iain O'Brien and Ross Taylor
DanielVettoriSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2018, 10:11   #6
DanielVettoriSpin
International Cricketer
 
DanielVettoriSpin's Avatar
DeviousVettoriSpin plots the downfall of another unfortunate
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wellington, NZ
Team(s): New Zealand, Essex & England
Posts: 2,745
Send a message via Yahoo to DanielVettoriSpin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
There are weirder thngs in the England schedule. Like playing 10 tests in 9 months v India in 2021, followed by an away Ashes tour.

Or looking ahead to autumn 2022 when England play 5 ODIs and 3 tests v Pakistan, separated by a quick hop over to Australia to play some limited over matches.
October is usually saved for Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. In club cricket, I don't think I've ever managed to get a full match in during October.
__________________
Supporting
Essex County Cricket Club, Wellington, Peter Such, Iain O'Brien and Ross Taylor
DanielVettoriSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2018, 10:15   #7
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 20,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielVettoriSpin View Post
October is usually saved for Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. In club cricket, I don't think I've ever managed to get a full match in during October.
I feel like this thread needs to be stickied already so we can build up the anticipation ahead of this momentous series!
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2018, 11:03   #8
square leg umpire
Legendary
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 8,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielVettoriSpin View Post
Hmmm. The FTP has a 2 Test, 5 T20 series vs. England between October and December 2019. https://www.icc-cricket.com/future-tours-and-events

That's a shocking time of year for cricket. Weather in October/November is highly erratic.
England have a habit of touring when the weather's iffy, they've just toured Sri Lanka in the monsoon season. Seems they just can't get enough of New Zealand. Hope they learn to play swing by then.
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2018, 11:22   #9
Vim Vigour
Bat In Hand
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielVettoriSpin View Post
Dunners, Wellington, Auckland was the previous tour (2013?)

The most recent series was Auckland and Christchurch (2017-18)
Apart from that one
Vim Vigour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2018, 09:42   #10
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 24,615
Really would like to play them in a full series. Seriously bad they only get two tests.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2018, 13:45   #11
Rebelstar
International Material
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
Really would like to play them in a full series. Seriously bad they only get two tests.
They may fear the prospects of drawn Tests, four of the last five England have played in New Zealand.

Does seem a bit odd to play a risky two Test series with no obvious chasm of skill between the two sides, usually reserved for sides right down the bottom of the pile like the zimmers or bangles.

Perhaps a sign of the times with the increase in ODI, not sure what T20 domestic competition may also be on, but is definitely odd to be playing out there again so soon albeit there were five years to the day between the Test between the two sides earlier this year and the previous one..... (in NZL)

England tours of New Zealand (England Test series results)

England P19 W10 D7 L2
1 Test : P1 W0 D1 L0
2 Tests : P7 W5 D1 L1
3 Tests : P10 W4 D5 L1
4 Tests : P1 W1 D0 L0

ALL series between and including 77/78 to 12/13 were three Tests, half of those series were drawn. All series started between 10th January (earliest) and 24th March (latest), how good an idea the timing is I'll leave to DVS to answer

So even though we're sceptical of playing just two Tests, three Test series have produced only 50-50 in terms of wins compared to 86% for two Tests.....


There is a certain amount of belief that an odd length series produces more series results than an even length series, but since a Test can be drawn it's flawed logic, and there is never going to be a dead rubber match in a two Test series............
Rebelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2018, 14:54   #12
slowest_bowler
Established International
 
slowest_bowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Notts, England
Posts: 3,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by square leg umpire View Post
England have a habit of touring when the weather's iffy, they've just toured Sri Lanka in the monsoon season. Seems they just can't get enough of New Zealand. Hope they learn to play swing by then.
It’s to negate NZ’s home advantage by fooling the England players. They’ll think they’re in Manchester.
__________________
"We’ll have up to 40 (trade agreements) ready for one second after midnight in March 2019". Liam Fox.
slowest_bowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2018, 09:40   #13
DanielVettoriSpin
International Cricketer
 
DanielVettoriSpin's Avatar
DeviousVettoriSpin plots the downfall of another unfortunate
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wellington, NZ
Team(s): New Zealand, Essex & England
Posts: 2,745
Send a message via Yahoo to DanielVettoriSpin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelstar View Post

There is a certain amount of belief that an odd length series produces more series results than an even length series, but since a Test can be drawn it's flawed logic, and there is never going to be a dead rubber match in a two Test series............
NZ and England have played some excellent series of late. Those of two-test length have left us wanting a third (or even a fourth).

Mental to be playing such a high-profile series in October though. Bloody stupid risk.
__________________
Supporting
Essex County Cricket Club, Wellington, Peter Such, Iain O'Brien and Ross Taylor
DanielVettoriSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2018, 00:02   #14
square leg umpire
Legendary
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 8,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielVettoriSpin View Post
NZ and England have played some excellent series of late. Those of two-test length have left us wanting a third (or even a fourth).

Mental to be playing such a high-profile series in October though. Bloody stupid risk.
Like April in England though I think the seasons in NZ are warmer than their English equivalents. I hope so, otherwise there'll be some 2 day tests.
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2018, 02:59   #15
DanielVettoriSpin
International Cricketer
 
DanielVettoriSpin's Avatar
DeviousVettoriSpin plots the downfall of another unfortunate
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wellington, NZ
Team(s): New Zealand, Essex & England
Posts: 2,745
Send a message via Yahoo to DanielVettoriSpin
Quote:
Originally Posted by square leg umpire View Post
Like April in England though I think the seasons in NZ are warmer than their English equivalents. I hope so, otherwise there'll be some 2 day tests.
Seasons here aren't directly equivalent for many reasons. The main issue at that time of the year is rain. Very high chance of rain in both Auckland and Wellington. e.g. Average Auckland (or Wellington) rainfall of over 100mm in October vs. less than 50mm in April for London and around 60mm for Manchester. Christchurch more in line with London in April
__________________
Supporting
Essex County Cricket Club, Wellington, Peter Such, Iain O'Brien and Ross Taylor
DanielVettoriSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2018, 01:39   #16
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 7,346
NZ and England are in the world top 4 - should definitely be playing more tests..
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:09.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© Cricket247.org