Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd January 2017, 13:49   #1161
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 27,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRNC4.0 View Post
Steyn's strike rate is off the rails. That's GOAT like statistics.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 15:09   #1162
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 793 Wagner 118 TCurran 7 SCurran 0 Cummins 101
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,195
http://www.espncricinfo.com/south-af...y/1076322.html

Since Steyn made his debut ..

Langeveldt (6) - 37.06
Morkel (71)
J Morkel (1) - 132.00
De Wet (2) - 31.00
McLaren (2) - 54.00
Parnell (4) - 36.85
Tsotsobe (5) - 49.77
Philander (39)
De Lange (2) - 30.77
Kleinveldt (4) - 42.20
Abbott (11)
Rabada (13)
Morris (2) - 63.25
Viljoen (1) - 94.00

That's not many fast bowlers needed and only 4 making it to double figures in Tests. The others were injury replacements, not having enough games to improve their figures.

SA played 91 Tests in the last 10 years. In that time England played 127 Tests.

I imagine Steyn to be back in the summer with another 3 years of bowling left. Morkel should be also returning. So Parnell or Olivier have 3 or 4 Tests.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 17:11   #1163
JRC67
International Material
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
http://www.espncricinfo.com/south-af...y/1076322.html

Since Steyn made his debut ..

Langeveldt (6) - 37.06
Morkel (71)
J Morkel (1) - 132.00
De Wet (2) - 31.00
McLaren (2) - 54.00
Parnell (4) - 36.85
Tsotsobe (5) - 49.77
Philander (39)
De Lange (2) - 30.77
Kleinveldt (4) - 42.20
Abbott (11)
Rabada (13)
Morris (2) - 63.25
Viljoen (1) - 94.00

That's not many fast bowlers needed and only 4 making it to double figures in Tests. The others were injury replacements, not having enough games to improve their figures.

SA played 91 Tests in the last 10 years. In that time England played 127 Tests.

I imagine Steyn to be back in the summer with another 3 years of bowling left. Morkel should be also returning. So Parnell or Olivier have 3 or 4 Tests.
All seam attack of Steyn, Merkel, Rabada and Philander for the summer. Add back ABV and it's a big big ask for England.
JRC67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 17:24   #1164
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 793 Wagner 118 TCurran 7 SCurran 0 Cummins 101
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRC67 View Post
All seam attack of Steyn, Merkel, Rabada and Philander for the summer. Add back ABV and it's a big big ask for England.
I think Maharaj will be developed as their spinner and only 3 quicks but a big ask as you say.

Broad will take care of AB. 10 dismissals so far.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 17:56   #1165
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 23,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRC67 View Post
All seam attack of Steyn, Merkel, Rabada and Philander for the summer. Add back ABV and it's a big big ask for England.
Surely Angela is too busy fighting the German general election to be held later this year?................
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 18:21   #1166
JRC67
International Material
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
Surely Angela is too busy fighting the German general election to be held later this year?................
Thank God for predictive texts.
JRC67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 18:27   #1167
JRC67
International Material
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
I think Maharaj will be developed as their spinner and only 3 quicks but a big ask as you say.

Broad will take care of AB. 10 dismissals so far.
I'd always have a spinner at Lord's. Trent Bridge and Old Trafford, unless it's a dry summer. I know who I'd want coming on 2cd change and it wouldn't be Rabada or Morkel.

Last edited by JRC67 : 9th January 2017 at 18:55.
JRC67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 13:47   #1168
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 793 Wagner 118 TCurran 7 SCurran 0 Cummins 101
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,195
Bowlers still going - 200+ wickets

506 - Anderson (35)
417 - Harbhajan (36)
417 - Steyn (33)
389 - Herath (39)
388 - Broad (30)
292 - Ashwin (30)
272 - Morkel (31)
269 - Lyon (28)
218 - Sharma (28)
211 - Siddle (31)
204 - Southee (28)

190 - Boult
188 - Al Hasan
178 - Ajmal
171 - Philander
167 - Panesar
165 - Edwards
163 - Gul
155 - Jadeja
149 - Shah
148 - Starc
133 - Roach
130 - Taylor, Wagner
128 - Ali
125 - Finn
118 - Hazelwood
113 - Ohja

Southee the latest to join the 200 club.

Last edited by 1000yardstare : 10th September 2017 at 14:14.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2017, 18:13   #1169
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 793 Wagner 118 TCurran 7 SCurran 0 Cummins 101
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,195
http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine...y/1080691.html

Bumrah is very good but Jordan hasn't bowled badly either at the death.

0.1-6.0
41.0 overs 8 wickets ave 34.00 econ 6.63 - Bumrah
35.2 overs 7 wickets ave 44.28 econ 8.77 - Jordan

5.1-15.0
13.0 overs 5 wickets at 14.80 econ 9.75 - Bumrah
8.4 overs 1 wicket at 67.00 econ 7.73 - Jordan

15.1-20.0
35.1 overs 20 wickets at 12.05 econ 6.85 - Bumrah
33.0 overs 17 wickets at 16.94 econ 8.72 - Jordan
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2017, 18:19   #1170
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 27,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine...y/1080691.html

Bumrah is very good but Jordan hasn't bowled badly either at the death.

0.1-6.0
41.0 overs 8 wickets ave 34.00 econ 6.63 - Bumrah
35.2 overs 7 wickets ave 44.28 econ 8.77 - Jordan

5.1-15.0
13.0 overs 5 wickets at 14.80 econ 9.75 - Bumrah
8.4 overs 1 wicket at 67.00 econ 7.73 - Jordan

15.1-20.0
35.1 overs 20 wickets at 12.05 econ 6.85 - Bumrah
33.0 overs 17 wickets at 16.94 econ 8.72 - Jordan
Your stats seem to say otherwise.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2017, 18:22   #1171
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 793 Wagner 118 TCurran 7 SCurran 0 Cummins 101
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
Your stats seem to say otherwise.
Bumrah is the best though. I should see how Jordan compares to Dernbach or Broad
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2017, 19:03   #1172
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 27,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
Bumrah is the best though. I should see how Jordan compares to Dernbach or Broad
He's very comparable to Dernbach.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2017, 04:30   #1173
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 793 Wagner 118 TCurran 7 SCurran 0 Cummins 101
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,195
0.1-6.0
41.0 overs 8 wickets at 34.00 econ 6.63 - Bumrah
35.2 overs 7 wickets at 44.28 econ 8.77 - Jordan
47.0 overs 12 wickets at 29.58 econ 7.55 - Dernbach
89.0 overs 29 wickets at 21.24 econ 6.92 - Broad

5.1-15.0
13.0 overs 5 wickets at 14.80 econ 9.75 - Bumrah
8.4 overs 1 wicket at 67.00 econ 7.73 - Jordan
16.0 overs 3 wickets at 35.33 econ 6.62 - Dernbach
55.0 overs 12 wickets at 34.50 econ 7.52 -Broad

15.1-20.0
35.1 overs 20 wickets at 12.05 econ 6.85 - Bumrah
33.0 overs 17 wickets at 16.94 econ 8.72 - Jordan
49.0 overs 23 wickets at 21.73 econ 10.20 - Dernbach
50.4 overs 24 wickets at 18.62 econ 8.82 - Broad

Last edited by 1000yardstare : 4th February 2017 at 14:15.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 07:51   #1174
wtachetna
Backyard Cricketer
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: India
Team(s): India
Posts: 53
To me the greatest bowler of all time has always been Shoaib Akhtar. I am his big fan. Though I am an Indian I don't find any bowler as good as Pakistan's Shoaib Akhtar. He is a real bowling legend.
__________________
Latest Sport News
wtachetna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 09:51   #1175
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtachetna View Post
To me the greatest bowler of all time has always been Shoaib Akhtar. I am his big fan. Though I am an Indian I don't find any bowler as good as Pakistan's Shoaib Akhtar. He is a real bowling legend.
A good bowler, maybe, but not even Pakistan's greatest ever. In fact, he wasn't even the best to play in the Pakistan sides of his era.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 10:02   #1176
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 23,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
A good bowler, maybe, but not even Pakistan's greatest ever. In fact, he wasn't even the best to play in the Pakistan sides of his era.
Wasim Akram was for me the best that I can recall because of his ridiculous range of skills that lasted beyond the time he started losing pace. Waqar was deadlier at his peak but wasn't quite so dangerous when he last a yard or so.

Can't really remember Imran quite so well to be honest.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 11:12   #1177
D/L
World Class
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 6,549
I think Fred Trueman was the best I ever saw.
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 19:30   #1178
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
Wasim Akram was for me the best that I can recall because of his ridiculous range of skills that lasted beyond the time he started losing pace. Waqar was deadlier at his peak but wasn't quite so dangerous when he last a yard or so.

Can't really remember Imran quite so well to be honest.
Asif may have been better than Akhtar too.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 21:14   #1179
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 27,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
A good bowler, maybe, but not even Pakistan's greatest ever. In fact, he wasn't even the best to play in the Pakistan sides of his era.
Shaoib at his peak was some bowler.

I'd say he was easily their best bowler at his peak (although fair enough if you're arguing that Waqar at his much earlier peak was better).

2002-03 he took 72 wickets at 15.08. That included matches against Australia, SA, WI, NZ. The only side during that spell he took wickets at over 21.80 against was Sri Lanka (in a single test).

Injuries did limit both him and that peak though.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 16:55   #1180
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 793 Wagner 118 TCurran 7 SCurran 0 Cummins 101
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,195
Bowling under captains

Cook 09-16 59 Tests - 31.06 econ 3.08 s/r 60.4 (seam 28.86 spin 36.64)
Atherton 93-01 54 Tests - 32.49 econ 2.90 s/r 67.1 (seam 29.91 spin 43.92)
Strauss 06-12 50 Tests - 32.79 econ 3.09 s/r 63.6 (seam 32.57 spin 33.36)
Vaughan 03-08 51 Tests - 33.20 econ 3.18 s/r 62.5 (seam 31.33 spin 40.94)
Hussain 99-03 45 Tests - 33.81 econ 3.09 s/r 65.5 (seam 30.95 spin 44.38)
Pietersen 08-09 3 Tests - 36.85 econ 3.13 s/r 70.4 (seam 36.93 spin 36.72)
Flintoff 05-07 11 Tests - 36.98 econ 3.26 s/r 67.9 (seam 36.21 spin 39.54)

Wickets per match of current bowlers (top 30 in Test rankings)

5.73 - Shah
5.60 - Ashwin
4.90 - Steyn
4.84 - Jadeja
4.68 - Herath
4.35 - Rabada
4.26 - MDK Perera
4.11 - Starc
4.06 - Wagner
3.93 - Hazelwood
3.90 - Maharaj
3.86 - Anderson
3.80 - Boult
3.71 - Philander
3.68 - Lyon
3.59 - Al Hasan
3.58 - Bishoo
3.57 - Broad
3.57 - Southee
3.48 - Morkel
3.40 - Siddle
3.37 - Shami
3.12 - Riaz
3.00 - Ali
2.83 - Sharma
2.82 - Woakes
2.78 - Yadav
2.57 - Pradeep
2.46 - Gabriel
2.38 - Stokes

England not good.

England's bowling under the various coaches

Troy Cooley May 03 - Mar 06
141 wickets at 27.93 econ 3.17 s/r 54.5 - Harmison
134 wickets at 28.43 econ 3.04 s/r 56.0 - Flintoff
131 wickets at 26.74 econ 3.25 s/r 49.2 - Hoggard
54 wickets at 27.87 econ 3.53 s/r 47.2 - Jones
41 wickets at 33.00 econ 3.65 s/r 54.1 - Anderson

Kevin Shine 11 May 06 - 20 June 07
42 wickets at 36.52 econ 3.59 s/r 60.9 - Harmison
38 wickets at 35.71 econ 3.19 s/r 67.1 - Hoggard
23 wickets at 36.30 econ 3.14 s/r 69.3 - Flintoff
20 wickets at 36.60 econ 3.37 s/r 65.0 - Plunkett
20 wickets at 38.10 econ 4.04 s/r 56.5 - Mahmood
11 wickets at 17.00 econ 2.83 s/r 36.00 - Sidebottom
5 wickets at 82.60 econ 4.42 s/r 112.0 - Anderson

Allan Donald Jun 07 - Sep 07
14 wickets at 35.57 econ 3.40 s/r 62.7 - Anderson
13 wickets at 29.69 econ 2.69 s/r 66.0 - Tremlett
8 wickets at 37.87 econ 2.58 s/r 87.7 - Sidebottom

Ottis Gibson Oct 07 - Jan 10
96 wickets at 32.98 econ 3.29 s/r 60.1 - Anderson
77 wickets at 35.38 econ 3.19 s/r 66.4 - Broad
55 wickets at 28.16 econ 2.79 s/r 60.5 - Sidebottom
29 wickets at 38.00 econ 2.76 s/r 82.3 - Flintoff
28 wickets at 31.03 econ 3.64 s/r 51.0 - Onions
21 wickets at 41.57 econ 3.30 s/r 75.5 - Harmison
8 wickets at 44.50 econ 3.49 s/r 76.5 - Hoggard
3 wickets at 32.33 econ 3.12 s/r 62.0 - Bresnan

No bowling coach to Bangladesh March 2010
7 wickets at 32.28 econ 2.72 s/r 71.1 - Bresnan
6 wickets at 46.00 econ 3.49 s/r 79.0 - Broad
4 wickets at 44.25 econ 3.47 s/r 76.5 - Finn

David Saker 8 Apr 10 - 16 Mar 15
224 wickets at 26.17 econ 2.77 s/r 56.6 - Anderson
181 wickets at 27.03 econ 2.95 s/r 54.8 - Broad
86 wickets at 28.70 econ 3.66 s/r 47.0 - Finn
62 wickets at 32.80 econ 3.05 s/r 64.3 - Bresnan
40 wickets at 26.12 econ 3.06 s/r 51.0 - Tremlett
22 wickets at 32.90 econ 3.53 s/r 55.8 - Stokes
18 wickets at 34.44 econ 3.31 s/r 62.2 - Plunkett
15 wickets at 33.06 econ 3.28 s/r 60.4 - Jordan
6 wickets at 52.16 econ 3.29 s/r 95.0 - Woakes

Ottis Gibson 26 Mar 15 -
115 wickets at 25.74 econ 2.85 s/r 54.0 - Broad
107 wickets at 21.46 econ 2.51 s/r 51.1 - Anderson
64 wickets at 35.93 econ 3.38 s/r 63.6 - Stokes
42 wickets at 26.07 econ 3.01 s/r 51.9 - Woakes
26 wickets at 40.65 econ 3.40 s/r 71.6 - Wood
35 wickets at 32.97 econ 3.35 s/r 58.9 - Finn

Last edited by 1000yardstare : 11th August 2017 at 16:49.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:38.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org