Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > Other International Teams
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th January 2019, 10:57   #1581
pykie
Bat In Hand
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyduck View Post
If we’re judging “world class” on one game alone then that Kohli guy looked crap.
Richardson is the real deal.

The kid looks like a young Jimmy Anderson and Jimmy certainly didn't set the world on fire in his early days.

There might have been 1 or 2 bowlers in world cricket over the last 15 years that could consistently swing the ball both ways at 140 kph and have genuine control over it, one of them is Dale Steyn.

Swing bowlers are rare these days and Richardson looks like being the even rarer variety (Like Anderson) who can land 6 balls on virtually the same spot despite moving it in the air.

Will be a top 5 ICC bowler in as little as 2 years from even the limited viewing of his FC/ODI/Test career I've seen to date, he's not relying on raw pace or developing a body etc, it's his skill with a cricket ball that will translate.

I don't normally go this early on players, but a player able to hoop it both ways at his pace and accuracy don't exactly fall out of the tree's either.

Going to be a very dangerous prospect in the Ashes. Especially paired with an out and out superstar like Cummins. You watch him destroy Sri Lanka again on a road in 2 days.....

We haven't seen what he can do with a reversing ball yet either.......
pykie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2019, 09:40   #1582
Notts Exile
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Berkshire
Team(s): Notts and Forest
Posts: 2,518
As usual, the Aussies, being quiet and calm about their players. Not bigging them up too much. If he's half as good as pykie suggests the Ashes will be going Down Under in September.
Notts Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2019, 16:10   #1583
MRNC4.0
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notts Exile View Post
As usual, the Aussies, being quiet and calm about their players. Not bigging them up too much. If he's half as good as pykie suggests the Ashes will be going Down Under in September.
Hey, I didn't go that overboard. I just said I think he is international quality. Unless he can score tons too then we ain't winning jack in England.
MRNC4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2019, 18:01   #1584
square leg umpire
Legendary
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 8,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRNC4.0 View Post
Hey, I didn't go that overboard. I just said I think he is international quality. Unless he can score tons too then we ain't winning jack in England.
It known the strength of the Aussie side is the bowling. As you say runs are the problem. Smith and Warner could swing the balance.
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2019, 08:13   #1585
Long Off
World Class
 
Long Off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Australia
Posts: 5,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by square leg umpire View Post
It known the strength of the Aussie side is the bowling. As you say runs are the problem. Smith and Warner could swing the balance.
They don't bowl swing. Our penchance for 140kph+ bowlers blinds us to the Bob Massie types of this world.
Long Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2019, 01:55   #1586
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 859 Bumrah 171 Cummins 166 TCurran 27 SCurran 16
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,405
I wonder if Starc, Hazelwood and Cummins will be present for the Ashes.

Hazelwood - back injury
Starc - substantial tear of the left pec

Saker has resigned as bowling coach and Cooley replaces him.

ODI squad for IndiaAaron Finch (c), Usman Khawaja, Shaun Marsh, Peter Handscomb, Glenn Maxwell, Ashton Turner, Marcus Stoinis, Alex Carey (vc), Pat Cummins (vc), Nathan Coulter-Nile, Jhye Richardson, Kane Richardson, Jason Behrendorff, Nathan Lyon, Adam Zampa, D’Arcy Short (cover for Shaun Marsh).

Marsh, birth of child and injured (hamstring)

Last edited by 1000yardstare : 7th February 2019 at 02:49.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2019, 07:27   #1587
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 20,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
I wonder if Starc, Hazelwood and Cummins will be present for the Ashes.

Hazelwood - back injury
Starc - substantial tear of the left pec

Saker has resigned as bowling coach and Cooley replaces him.

ODI squad for IndiaAaron Finch (c), Usman Khawaja, Shaun Marsh, Peter Handscomb, Glenn Maxwell, Ashton Turner, Marcus Stoinis, Alex Carey (vc), Pat Cummins (vc), Nathan Coulter-Nile, Jhye Richardson, Kane Richardson, Jason Behrendorff, Nathan Lyon, Adam Zampa, D’Arcy Short (cover for Shaun Marsh).

Marsh, birth of child and injured (hamstring)
Cooley still going!?
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2019, 07:17   #1588
MRNC4.0
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
I wonder if Starc, Hazelwood and Cummins will be present for the Ashes.

Hazelwood - back injury
Starc - substantial tear of the left pec

Saker has resigned as bowling coach and Cooley replaces him.

ODI squad for IndiaAaron Finch (c), Usman Khawaja, Shaun Marsh, Peter Handscomb, Glenn Maxwell, Ashton Turner, Marcus Stoinis, Alex Carey (vc), Pat Cummins (vc), Nathan Coulter-Nile, Jhye Richardson, Kane Richardson, Jason Behrendorff, Nathan Lyon, Adam Zampa, D’Arcy Short (cover for Shaun Marsh).

Marsh, birth of child and injured (hamstring)
I wouldn't at all mind it if Starc and Hazelwood aren't present for the majority of the Ashes. We then might be forced into fielding some 80mph trundlers appropriate for the conditions.

Even though I can't stand the guy, surely Wade is the obvious choice as an opening batsman/keeper over Carey? What is the obsession with this guy? And what is the obsession with foisting Vice Captaincy on players who haven't even cemented themselves in the starting XI yet? (Head, Mmarsh, Carey.)

Finch'll be done for if the Indians clean him up again.
MRNC4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2019, 12:22   #1589
MiPIL
County 2nd Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Germany
Team(s): Australia
Posts: 240
I like the look of the pace attack. Batting looks as feeble as always. Yeah, maybe some of them are a bit better in coloured clothing, but they wont exactly be oozing with confidence - Finch, Smarsh, Handscomb.
MiPIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2019, 13:13   #1590
tony p
Club Cricketer
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRNC4.0 View Post
I wouldn't at all mind it if Starc and Hazelwood aren't present for the majority of the Ashes. We then might be forced into fielding some 80mph trundlers appropriate for the conditions.

Even though I can't stand the guy, surely Wade is the obvious choice as an opening batsman/keeper over Carey? What is the obsession with this guy? And what is the obsession with foisting Vice Captaincy on players who haven't even cemented themselves in the starting XI yet? (Head, Mmarsh, Carey.)

Finch'll be done for if the Indians clean him up again.
matthew wade has his card marked never to play for australia again.

mainly due i'm sure to his unlikeability (a disruptive & noisey, irritating person), than his cricket. ( which i think is wrong)(look at kevin pieterson). this is only a guess on my behalf.



i would love to see wade continue his great shield form on resumption of the comp. ( HE IS THE LEADING RUN SCORER AFTER ALL). make a thousand runs & let the selectors come out and say they are not picking him because we already have a keeper.

LET'S SEE WHETHER MAKING RUNS & TAKING WICKETS REALLY MEANS SOMETHING.
tony p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2019, 13:48   #1591
tony p
Club Cricketer
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 115
just a note to the selectors.

MATTHEW WADE has won male domestic cricketer of the year at the australian cricket awards. ( the voting period covered all domestic matches between 8 dec. 2017-11 dec. 2018).
that means all his big bash runs will not count until next seasons awards.

i'm sure that mean's more questions by the media as to why hasn't had a look in.
tony p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2019, 15:25   #1592
MRNC4.0
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony p View Post
just a note to the selectors.

MATTHEW WADE has won male domestic cricketer of the year at the australian cricket awards. ( the voting period covered all domestic matches between 8 dec. 2017-11 dec. 2018).
that means all his big bash runs will not count until next seasons awards.

i'm sure that mean's more questions by the media as to why hasn't had a look in.
To be fair, i'm not at all sold on Wade as a test batsman, he looked utterly rubbish during his last stint, he's had plenty of opportunities. That said I can't see a reason not to pick him in the shorter formats. And the argument that his 'cards are marked' because he's a noisy and disruptive personality surely doesn't apply since they'll be happy to red carpet Warner back into the side, who is the most obnoxious and disruptive presence of all time in Australian Cricket.

Carey, Wade, whatever, Australia aren't going anywhere in limited overs cricket with either, I just hope someone decent comes along before Paine hangs up the gloves in test cricket, most likely within the next 18 months.
MRNC4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2019, 16:15   #1593
tony p
Club Cricketer
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRNC4.0 View Post
To be fair, i'm not at all sold on Wade as a test batsman, he looked utterly rubbish during his last stint, he's had plenty of opportunities. That said I can't see a reason not to pick him in the shorter formats. And the argument that his 'cards are marked' because he's a noisy and disruptive personality surely doesn't apply since they'll be happy to red carpet Warner back into the side, who is the most obnoxious and disruptive presence of all time in Australian Cricket.

Carey, Wade, whatever, Australia aren't going anywhere in limited overs cricket with either, I just hope someone decent comes along before Paine hangs up the gloves in test cricket, most likely within the next 18 months.
i'm not sure wade is a test batsman either, but he does have 886 runs@28 with two test hundreds made as a keeper, and 1777 runs@25 in o.d.i.'s with 1 century. his current first class average is 37 which is only 3 runs less than s marsh, handscomb averages 38, head averages 38.

most domestic batsman aren't much better or average less.

I'M NOT SAYING THEY SHOULD PICK HIM, BUT HE CERTAINLY IS MAKING IT UNCOMFORTABLE FOR THE SELECTORS.
tony p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2019, 16:34   #1594
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 859 Bumrah 171 Cummins 166 TCurran 27 SCurran 16
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,405
Looking at this T20 game today against India -

India - 3 fast bowlers + 2 spinners
Australia - 4 seamers + 2 spinners (like England)

looking closer it's really 5 seamers if you count Stonis and 4 spinners if you count Maxwell and Turner, who didn't bowl

Australia win, needed 14 off the last over
Richardson and Cummins hadn't faced a ball
Bumrah 2 runs 2 wickets the over before

Last edited by 1000yardstare : 24th February 2019 at 16:54.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2019, 22:11   #1595
MRNC4.0
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 2,242
An all-time performance that by Marcus Harris ensuring Victoria a berth in the Shield final. 95 in the first innings (given wrongly out caught behind at that) and then 174 from 197 balls to chase down 304 on the last day. The QLD attack was pretty pedestrian, but no more so than the Sri Lankan one he faced and failed against in Canberra. 770 runs for the season, with 3 rounds to go he's good chance to be the first player since Adam Voges to exceed 1000 runs 4 years ago and only the second player in 10 years since Klinger in 2009. Question is why can't he produce the same at test level, against a similar quality attack? Must be kicking himself.
MRNC4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:13.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© Cricket247.org