Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th November 2018, 11:21   #341
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 7,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmachine View Post
Possible team for WI:

1. Burns
2. Jennings
3. Stokes
4. Root
5. Buttler
6. Ali
7. Foakes
8. Curran
9. Broad
10. Leach
11. Anderson

Could possibly argue that we don’t need 4 seamers and therefore could leave either Broad or Curran out for Bairstow, but other than that, I can’t see anyone else getting in.
Foakes should be above Ali and possibly Buttler based on this tour - looks a class act.

Also seems premature to be picking sides for the 1st Windies test without seeing the pitch and based on 2 spinning pitches in Lanka - doesn't gloss over the last two years of mediocre results on a range of surfaces.
__________________

Last edited by Jock McTuffnel v3 : 20th November 2018 at 12:22.
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2018, 14:06   #342
Notts Exile
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Berkshire
Team(s): Notts and Forest
Posts: 2,496
Interesting comments from someone who some suggest is a problem to England:

https://www.trentbridge.co.uk/news/2...tion-call.html
Notts Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2018, 14:13   #343
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 7,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notts Exile View Post
Interesting comments from someone who some suggest is a problem to England:

https://www.trentbridge.co.uk/news/2...tion-call.html
He's seen the pitches - it would have been daft to play 4 seamers and 1 spinner on that dust bowl.

Just as it would be daft to play 3 spinners on a green top vs Australia next summer.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2018, 14:17   #344
Prince of Denmark
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydenham Hill
Team(s): Surrey CCC, Dulwich Hamlet FC, England
Age: 52
Posts: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
Foakes should be above Ali and possibly Buttler based on this tour - looks a class act.

Also seems premature to be picking sides for the 1st Windies test without seeing the pitch and based on 2 spinning pitches in Lanka - doesn't gloss over the last two years of mediocre results on a range of surfaces.
I'd rather leave Foakes at 7. He's only played two Tests and when we've promoted other all rounders after making runs down the order their runs have diminished.

I don't see any compelling reason for a wicketkeeper to bat ahead of a specialist batsman. If Buttler is there purely as a batsman he should be given the responsibility of batting at 5. Where Ali bats would then depend upon whether Bairstow replaces the sixth bowler.

It also remains to be seen whether Stokes can make any more of a success of batting at 3 than anyone else has since Jonathan Trott. Presumably he'll stay there for the final match of this match, but we could have to stick or twist again if he fails twice.
Prince of Denmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2018, 15:03   #345
JRC67
International Material
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
He's seen the pitches - it would have been daft to play 4 seamers and 1 spinner on that dust bowl.

Just as it would be daft to play 3 spinners on a green top vs Australia next summer.
Yep when you look at the overs bowled by Stokes and Curran combined you can't really justify a specialist seamer. Even Anderson has been nowhere near over worked.
JRC67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2018, 15:29   #346
luckyluke
Established International
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notts Exile View Post
Interesting comments from someone who some suggest is a problem to England:

https://www.trentbridge.co.uk/news/2...tion-call.html
Mixing the drinks? What are they having at the breaks - mojitos?
__________________
Most heartless decision:

In a women's league match in Denmark, a heavily pregnant woman arrived at the crease, and asked for a runner. Her request was denied, on the grounds that her incapacity had not occured during the course of the match.
luckyluke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2018, 15:54   #347
JRC67
International Material
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Denmark View Post
I'd rather leave Foakes at 7. He's only played two Tests and when we've promoted other all rounders after making runs down the order their runs have diminished.

I don't see any compelling reason for a wicketkeeper to bat ahead of a specialist batsman. If Buttler is there purely as a batsman he should be given the responsibility of batting at 5. Where Ali bats would then depend upon whether Bairstow replaces the sixth bowler.

It also remains to be seen whether Stokes can make any more of a success of batting at 3 than anyone else has since Jonathan Trott. Presumably he'll stay there for the final match of this match, but we could have to stick or twist again if he fails twice.
I think you're right. Long term Foakes could be a better bet at 6 because he seems more of a technically correct accumulator than some of the alternatives, who really are more out and out stroke players. To look to move him you'd really want to see how he goes against top class seam. At the moment it's a promising start but test coaching teams will be all over the video analysis looking for a weakness. He's clearly a very good keeper.

Medium term England probably hope Stokes or Bairstow can nail down three. In truth they've both had some decent tests with the bat over the last couple of years, without fully convincing. It's not a fair comparison because Curran and Woakes bat lower but both have better batting averages over the last couple of years. If they can't then it's probably down to some very tough calls over Bairstow's perceived batting vs Foakes keeping. Or 2 of Bairstow, Stokes and Buttler at 5 and 6.

Are England that much further ahead in terms of The Ashes? Not really because facing Starc et al at Trent Bridge is completely different to this series. It's a shame we haven't got India next winter because I think we're further ahead in our ability to play in Asia.
JRC67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2018, 15:54   #348
Prince of Denmark
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydenham Hill
Team(s): Surrey CCC, Dulwich Hamlet FC, England
Age: 52
Posts: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyluke View Post
Mixing the drinks? What are they having at the breaks - mojitos?
Whatever it is it seems to have worked. Perhaps Broad should be retained as cocktail mixer when his playing days are over. If Tim Linley can open a coffee bar in Leeds why not?
Prince of Denmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2018, 17:29   #349
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 21,831
Isn’t buttler our top run scorer since recall?
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2018, 17:32   #350
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 7,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRC67 View Post
Yep when you look at the overs bowled by Stokes and Curran combined you can't really justify a specialist seamer. Even Anderson has been nowhere near over worked.
Yes - a 4th spinner seems excessive so WJB for Curran should be the change for the 3rd test if Sam is injured.

Bairstow at either 3 or 5 and Buttler 6 Foakes 7 then the rest.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2018, 17:45   #351
oldandfat
County Pro
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRC67 View Post
Are England that much further ahead in terms of The Ashes? Not really because facing Starc et al at Trent Bridge is completely different to this series.
The answer is probably no, unless we prepare spinning wickets...
I think we did something similar in 2013 when we had Swann?
oldandfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2018, 18:32   #352
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldandfat View Post
The answer is probably no, unless we prepare spinning wickets...
I think we did something similar in 2013 when we had Swann?
And we ended up with wickets akin to those in the Windies, ie slow but too slow to be of much benefit to Swann, who had a modest series (apart from a 5fer at Lord's where he bamboozled Rogers with a full toss).
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2018, 20:21   #353
JRC67
International Material
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
And we ended up with wickets akin to those in the Windies, ie slow but too slow to be of much benefit to Swann, who had a modest series (apart from a 5fer at Lord's where he bamboozled Rogers with a full toss).
2009 that seemed to be the template as well, until the end of the first test in Cardiff. Monty and Swann were primed to bamboozle the Aussies.
JRC67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2018, 22:43   #354
Redmachine
International Material
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
Foakes should be above Ali and possibly Buttler based on this tour - looks a class act.

Also seems premature to be picking sides for the 1st Windies test without seeing the pitch and based on 2 spinning pitches in Lanka - doesn't gloss over the last two years of mediocre results on a range of surfaces.
Who else could force their way in?
Redmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2018, 23:08   #355
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 10,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRC67 View Post
I think you're right. Long term Foakes could be a better bet at 6 because he seems more of a technically correct accumulator than some of the alternatives, who really are more out and out stroke players. To look to move him you'd really want to see how he goes against top class seam. At the moment it's a promising start but test coaching teams will be all over the video analysis looking for a weakness. He's clearly a very good keeper.

Medium term England probably hope Stokes or Bairstow can nail down three. In truth they've both had some decent tests with the bat over the last couple of years, without fully convincing. It's not a fair comparison because Curran and Woakes bat lower but both have better batting averages over the last couple of years. If they can't then it's probably down to some very tough calls over Bairstow's perceived batting vs Foakes keeping. Or 2 of Bairstow, Stokes and Buttler at 5 and 6.

Are England that much further ahead in terms of The Ashes? Not really because facing Starc et al at Trent Bridge is completely different to this series. It's a shame we haven't got India next winter because I think we're further ahead in our ability to play in Asia.
I'm a bit worried about when Jennings starts facing seam bowling again too. Still a few selection headaches to sort out.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2018, 23:57   #356
AJ101
International Material
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmachine View Post
Who else could force their way in?
Bairstow, Woakes and Rashid would seem the likely candidates, probably in that order.
AJ101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2018, 07:29   #357
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRC67 View Post
2009 that seemed to be the template as well, until the end of the first test in Cardiff. Monty and Swann were primed to bamboozle the Aussies.
Swann ended up doing well in that series at least.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2018, 07:47   #358
Aidan11
Harmisonesque
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere cold and wet
Posts: 40,264
Broad will replace Anderson for the third test.

They should have just put an extra batsman in such as Barstow. Quick bowlers are a luxury here.
Aidan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2018, 08:06   #359
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan11 View Post
Broad will replace Anderson for the third test.

They should have just put an extra batsman in such as Barstow. Quick bowlers are a luxury here.
What about Currans? Woakes in for him too?
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2018, 08:44   #360
Aidan11
Harmisonesque
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere cold and wet
Posts: 40,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
What about Currans? Woakes in for him too?
Not sure. Sky Sports just reported this change. No word on any other changes.
Aidan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:32.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org