Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th February 2021, 05:49   #641
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
Care to rethink this post? I'd say most of the cricketing world are talking about it now.

How dodgy is the umpiring when a review is given back to the touring side? I'm starting to think Tourists should be given 2 extra reviews than the home side.
When you posted, it was not an issue.

Yesterday, it was certainly a bad day, especially from the third umpire. I don't see him officiating many matches after this series. As such, it is the first time he's working as a TV umpire, and I even doubt if he has the grasp of the technology required to officiate.

As an Indian supporter, I really would have appreciated if BCCI had somehow got neutral umpires, because there will be such mistakes, genuine or otherwise, which will cause ill-will.
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2021, 06:59   #642
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 24,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
Hardly me whipping up that discourse now, they're doing that for themselves. I just highlighted something that looked like it could potentially become an issue. It has undoubtedly now become one.

It will be interesting to see how many umpires call decisions go India's way when they're bowling...
You don't have any evidence India's umpires are cheats, just that they may not be very good (at least the TV umpire). England had one lbw yesterday but I don't recall then having many lbw shouts other than that.

I seem to remember some of the English standing umpires didn't do a great job at the start of last summer.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2021, 07:00   #643
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 24,675
We're getting hammered here. Our spinners let us down yesterday.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2021, 11:05   #644
Sir Coolerking
World Class
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 6,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
You don't have any evidence India's umpires are cheats, just that they may not be very good (at least the TV umpire). England had one lbw yesterday but I don't recall then having many lbw shouts other than that.

I seem to remember some of the English standing umpires didn't do a great job at the start of last summer.
No you're right, they were rubbish in the first couple of Tests against the Windies and were called out for it. Fortunately, DRS was there to rectify the mistakes not exagerrate them.

I'm not calling them cheats. But it took 3 balls for a delivery barely clipping leg stump to be given lbw when we batted. It was also noticeable that the first bit of TV evidence provided on the Sibley dismissal was the contact with the bat after it hit the pad (like the bit they forgot to show with Rahane).

But it's not the difference between victory and defeat here. That is the toss and Rohit.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2021, 11:10   #645
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
No you're right, they were rubbish in the first couple of Tests against the Windies and were called out for it. Fortunately, DRS was there to rectify the mistakes not exagerrate them.

I'm not calling them cheats. But it took 3 balls for a delivery barely clipping leg stump to be given lbw when we batted. It was also noticeable that the first bit of TV evidence provided on the Sibley dismissal was the contact with the bat after it hit the pad (like the bit they forgot to show with Rahane).

But it's not the difference between victory and defeat here. That is the toss and Rohit.
There was so much backlash, I don't think he is ever going to ask the cameras to stop rolling until the batsman is back in the pavilion.

He just rectified his mistake; imagine if he had continued making the same mistake.
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2021, 11:16   #646
Sir Coolerking
World Class
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 6,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedMale View Post
There was so much backlash, I don't think he is ever going to ask the cameras to stop rolling until the batsman is back in the pavilion.

He just rectified his mistake; imagine if he had continued making the same mistake.
One thing I wondered is who controls the feed to him? Is that Star Sports? I think they are equally culpable in the Rahane farce.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2021, 11:18   #647
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
One thing I wondered is who controls the feed to him? Is that Star Sports? I think they are equally culpable in the Rahane farce.
A while back, I remember raising the issue about broadcasters having too much power that they could control the feed shown to a third umpire. At that time, I think it was argued that it wouldn't happen.

And yes, Star Sports provide the feed.
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2021, 11:12   #648
paulsre
World Class
 
paulsre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In a class 101 Met Cam time machine to the past
Team(s): Stockholm Taverners CC, Farsta BCCE, County cricket, MCCU cricket, England, Scarborough CC
Posts: 7,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Dan Lawrence's test career surely can't just much longer.
Letís hope it does.
paulsre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2021, 11:15   #649
Jock McTuffnel v3
Posting God
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 10,521
At last a positive from this match.

Well batted.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2021, 12:30   #650
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 24,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsre View Post
Let’s hope it does.
Showing Ben Foakes that coming in at 7 in a collapsing batting lineup doesn't prevent you from making contributions with the tail.

Not sure this test is overwhelming evidence that Lawrence is fit for test cricket, although I guess he may get a further opportunity higher up given how inept Burns, Crawley, Sibley, Bairstow and Pope have been.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2021, 12:51   #651
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27,465
I think we can all agree that we won the first toss because we won the toss on the flattest pitch ever for two days right?
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2021, 12:52   #652
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 12,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
I think we can all agree that we won the first toss because we won the toss on the flattest pitch ever for two days right?
Nope
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2021, 12:57   #653
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 26,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Showing Ben Foakes that coming in at 7 in a collapsing batting lineup doesn't prevent you from making contributions with the tail.

Not sure this test is overwhelming evidence that Lawrence is fit for test cricket, although I guess he may get a further opportunity higher up given how inept Burns, Crawley, Sibley, Bairstow and Pope have been.
An utterly meaningless knock.

I feel for some of those who have been caught cold by having little or no prior experience in Asia. That said it is utterly dire nonetheless.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2021, 13:49   #654
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 24,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
An utterly meaningless knock.

I feel for some of those who have been caught cold by having little or no prior experience in Asia. That said it is utterly dire nonetheless.
The reaction of Paul and Jock surprised me a little. Reminded me how after a home ashes thrashing in the 90s, someone would do alright in the dead rubber at the end of the summer and book themselves a winter ticket. Context is important here. Scoring a 50 in a heavy innings defeat is hardly a convincing rebuttal to my prior post.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:32.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© Cricket247.org