Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th October 2019, 12:50   #61
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 901 Cummins 301 SCurran 58 Jhye 39
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London
Posts: 22,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
Have India qualified for the Final yet?
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2019, 13:59   #62
Jock McTuffnel v3
Posting God
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 10,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
13 October 2019

India 200 (4)
NZ 60 (2)
SL 60 (2)
Aus 56 (5)
ENG 56 (5)
SA 0 (2)
WI 0 (2)
Using the no of tests is daft - itís the number of series that counts.

Add in the fact that some teams donít even play each other then itís a pile of dung.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2019, 14:13   #63
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 901 Cummins 301 SCurran 58 Jhye 39
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London
Posts: 22,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
Using the no of tests is daft - itís the number of series that counts.

Add in the fact that some teams donít even play each other then itís a pile of dung.
India could be 280 by the end of the series. Playing 1 more Test than Australia and England, who are at 56.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2019, 14:20   #64
Aidan11
Harmisonesque
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere cold and wet
Posts: 43,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
Using the no of tests is daft - itís the number of series that counts.

Add in the fact that some teams donít even play each other then itís a pile of dung.
And the even more bizarre fact that some series won't count ie NZ v England.

Needs more work.
Aidan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2019, 15:37   #65
Steveh
County Pro
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan11 View Post
And the even more bizarre fact that some series won't count ie NZ v England.

Needs more work.
The disparity in the number of tests each board choose to play was an aspect of the ranking system that was used for the past decade or so.

Nothing new there and a test championship scoring system has to handle that reality, even while (hopefully) influencing interest in test cricket for the longer term by providing context and focus.
Steveh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2019, 17:20   #66
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 24,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveh View Post
The disparity in the number of tests each board choose to play was an aspect of the ranking system that was used for the past decade or so.

Nothing new there and a test championship scoring system has to handle that reality, even while (hopefully) influencing interest in test cricket for the longer term by providing context and focus.
Surely they could've done a win loss ratio? Hugely favours playing lots of short series. Eg if you played five 2 match series you could get a maximum of 600 points, compared to 240(?) for two five match ones.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2019, 22:27   #67
Jock McTuffnel v3
Posting God
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 10,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
India could be 280 by the end of the series. Playing 1 more Test than Australia and England, who are at 56.
How many series will India have played ? 3 ?
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2019, 02:26   #68
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 901 Cummins 301 SCurran 58 Jhye 39
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London
Posts: 22,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
How many series will India have played ? 3 ?
Sorry I thought that it was four Tests v SA. This will be India's 2nd series.

2 Tests v WI
3 Tests v SA
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2019, 09:01   #69
aNarcHy2day
County Pro
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: India
Team(s): Mumbai Indians, Punjab Ranji Team
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Surely they could've done a win loss ratio? Hugely favours playing lots of short series. Eg if you played five 2 match series you could get a maximum of 600 points, compared to 240(?) for two five match ones.
Well, the premise of the point system is that everyone play equal number of SERIES, so anyone playing 5 two match series would have to be compared with FIVE five match series, if you want it that way. In which case the maximum points either team could accrue would be the same.
aNarcHy2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2019, 09:07   #70
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,881
India, England and Australia have been playing 4 or 5 test matches in a series against each other while playing 2 or 3 tests against the remaining countries. Until the boards agree to accommodate the same number of tests against each other, I think disparities will exist regarding the number of tests each country plays.

Btw, why exactly isn't the England-NZ series not coming under the test championships?
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2019, 09:17   #71
aNarcHy2day
County Pro
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: India
Team(s): Mumbai Indians, Punjab Ranji Team
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedMale View Post
India, England and Australia have been playing 4 or 5 test matches in a series against each other while playing 2 or 3 tests against the remaining countries. Until the boards agree to accommodate the same number of tests against each other, I think disparities will exist regarding the number of tests each country plays.

Btw, why exactly isn't the England-NZ series not coming under the test championships?
Teams can select two teams against whom not to play, I think. India aren't playing a WTC series against Pakistan and Sri Lanka for eg. But I may be wrong.
aNarcHy2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2019, 09:23   #72
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by aNarcHy2day View Post
Teams can select two teams against whom not to play, I think. India aren't playing a WTC series against Pakistan and Sri Lanka for eg. But I may be wrong.
So, we're sacrificing some cheap points, considering how frequently we play SL? I'm now waiting to see how that's going to be spun to somehow favour India.
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2019, 09:31   #73
Sir Coolerking
World Class
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 6,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedMale View Post

Btw, why exactly isn't the England-NZ series not coming under the test championships?
I think it was arranged after the original plan was put in place. So it may have meant England (or NZ) playing too many series compared to the others. Although that's only one issue fixed in the scoring system.

I don't think anyone would question that India are one of the top 2 Test teams and deserve to be playing in the Final. It's the ridiculous scoring system that they are exposing that is the real issue.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2019, 10:23   #74
Jock McTuffnel v3
Posting God
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 10,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
Sorry I thought that it was four Tests v SA. This will be India's 2nd series.

2 Tests v WI
3 Tests v SA
So they have P 2 (series) Pts 240

Total series to be played is 12 ?
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2019, 12:39   #75
Steveh
County Pro
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 931
Each team plays 6 series within the structure of the competition.
Steveh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2019, 20:01   #76
Jock McTuffnel v3
Posting God
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 10,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveh View Post
Each team plays 6 series within the structure of the competition.
6 series ? And some can be 2 tests ?

Thatís terrible. And easily gamed.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2019, 21:30   #77
Steveh
County Pro
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
6 series ? And some can be 2 tests ?

Thatís terrible. And easily gamed.
3 home series and 3 away series for each of the 9 teams.

The problem really amounts to that faced by Boards, that series of more than 2 tests versus certain opposition are not financially viable. England are usually a team most boards would relish longer series against.
Steveh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2019, 10:43   #78
Sir Coolerking
World Class
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 6,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveh View Post
3 home series and 3 away series for each of the 9 teams.

The problem really amounts to that faced by Boards, that series of more than 2 tests versus certain opposition are not financially viable. England are usually a team most boards would relish longer series against.
India do play England in a 5 Test series as part of this, but that shouldn't inconvenience them too much.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2019, 12:53   #79
Jock McTuffnel v3
Posting God
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 10,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
India do play England in a 5 Test series as part of this, but that shouldn't inconvenience them too much.
Sounds like they will have racked up enough points by then to make it irrelevant.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2019, 09:33   #80
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,881
Apart from Australia and India, who does England play more than 3 tests against?
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:19.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© Cricket247.org