Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th December 2020, 12:48   #61
Aidan11
Harmisonesque
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere cold and wet
Posts: 43,423
Great finish to the game. 35 from 15 balls required at the time looked out of reach.
Aidan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2020, 15:29   #62
Greatbatch
World Class
 
Greatbatch's Avatar
Easy Southee
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): NZ
Posts: 6,072
Pandya > Kohli

Absolute clutch player Pandya.
Greatbatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2020, 17:55   #63
square leg umpire
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 10,414
Saw the end, wasn't impressed with the captaincy or bowing. Australia bowled wide of off without a third man and conceded numerous boundaries in that area as a result.
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2020, 20:13   #64
MRNC4.0
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 3,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by square leg umpire View Post
Saw the end, wasn't impressed with the captaincy or bowing. Australia bowled wide of off without a third man and conceded numerous boundaries in that area as a result.
Credit to Pandya but that was absolute dross Australia fielded with the ball. How the likes of Tye, Sams can still be relevant to the national set-up is pretty damning to the depth in this format.
MRNC4.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 01:36   #65
MRNC4.0
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 3,442
Pucovski & Burns gone cheaply. I wonder if this opens the door for Harris (again)
MRNC4.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 07:44   #66
MRNC4.0
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 3,442
Going to love hearing the mental gymnastics from Langer after this as to why they've decided to stick with Wade ahead of Green for the first test. I expect to hear the words 'gritty', 'fighter' & 'incumbent' along with some vague reference to the ANZACs or war.
MRNC4.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 10:19   #67
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,882
Umesh has the most wickets and even the best economy! It isn't often that he does it so effectively. I just hope he keeps up the good work once the tests start, though I wonder how weak our lower order is going to be if it is going to have Umesh, Shami and Bumrah in it.
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 10:20   #68
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatbatch View Post
Pandya > Kohli

Absolute clutch player Pandya.
Let Pandya show consistency and then we will look at comparisons.

A consistent Pandya would be a very valuable asset to India in all forms of the game, but a busy schedule might mean he would have to miss out on any one form. Considering his hitting power, I think they might choose to sit him out of test matches.
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 10:39   #69
MRNC4.0
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 3,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedMale View Post
Umesh has the most wickets and even the best economy! It isn't often that he does it so effectively. I just hope he keeps up the good work once the tests start, though I wonder how weak our lower order is going to be if it is going to have Umesh, Shami and Bumrah in it.
He bowled very well, troubled batsman with pace and bounce off a good length who are used to facing pace and bounce on a good length. Has to play. Making runs won't be India's greatest feat on these wickets, if Australias quicks are too good (they weren't last time), then so be it, but taking 20 wickets each game is the real challenge. Don't be New Zealand and bowl a Colin De Grandhomme with the new ball. Bad idea.
MRNC4.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 11:13   #70
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRNC4.0 View Post
He bowled very well, troubled batsman with pace and bounce off a good length who are used to facing pace and bounce on a good length. Has to play. Making runs won't be India's greatest feat on these wickets, if Australias quicks are too good (they weren't last time), then so be it, but taking 20 wickets each game is the real challenge. Don't be New Zealand and bowl a Colin De Grandhomme with the new ball. Bad idea.
I feel that our bowling would be Bumrah, Umesh, Shami and Ashwin with probably Jadeja acting as a fifth bowler.

The worry for us is that both Shaw and Gill haven't taken the limited chances they have got. I really don't think Shaw would do well there, trying to punch the ball on the rise. The extra bounce in Aussie pitches would ensure he is an early wicket. Pujara, Kohli, Rahane and Vihari might be the middle order with Jadeja, Saha, Ashwin, Shami, Umesh, and Bumrah bringing up the lower order. If we do go with Dhawan and Shaw, it is (even more of an) advantage to Australia.
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 11:27   #71
tony p
County Pro
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Perth
Team(s): Richmond,Tasmania, Kent, Australia.
Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRNC4.0 View Post
Credit to Pandya but that was absolute dross Australia fielded with the ball. How the likes of Tye, Sams can still be relevant to the national set-up is pretty damning to the depth in this format.
With those guys playing for Australia, you know we aren't really treating this seriously.
International T20's to me are pretty irrelevent, Domestic T20 leagues are really the only way to go in this format.
I didn't care less that we lost last night, doesn't mean anything.
tony p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 11:30   #72
Sir Coolerking
World Class
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 6,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony p View Post
With those guys playing for Australia, you know we aren't really treating this seriously.
International T20's to me are pretty irrelevent, Domestic T20 leagues are really the only way to go in this format.
I didn't care less that we lost last night, doesn't mean anything.
Slightly odd given we have a T20 World Cup coming up. England have started prioritising T20 cricket over ODI. It strikes me as strange that other teams wouldn't be doing likewise.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 11:39   #73
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 26,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
Slightly odd given we have a T20 World Cup coming up. England have started prioritising T20 cricket over ODI. It strikes me as strange that other teams wouldn't be doing likewise.
I find it hard to take seriously the results of T20 games outside the world cups if I'm honest. Then again I barely pay that much attention to bi-lateral ODI series.

With Australia, they don't really seem to have that much power hitting in their lineup, Warner, Finch & Maxwell apart. I don't think they have the batting to really consistently set or chase large scores. That said, it is strange that they are picking some rather obscure t20 specialists. I can't say I follow bilateral t20s enough to know who might be make a bang ordinary t20 side of specialists other than Kieron Pollard, a domestic megalith who has done very little at international level.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 11:42   #74
tony p
County Pro
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Perth
Team(s): Richmond,Tasmania, Kent, Australia.
Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
Slightly odd given we have a T20 World Cup coming up. England have started prioritising T20 cricket over ODI. It strikes me as strange that other teams wouldn't be doing likewise.
It might be coming up, but I have a very low care factor about it.
It's a game I watch for 10 or so minutes, leave for half an hour, comeback and watch the last couple of overs.
I've never been a fan of utter bat domination, after about 10 boundaries and the 5th six, that will do me.
tony p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 11:47   #75
Sir Coolerking
World Class
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 6,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
I find it hard to take seriously the results of T20 games outside the world cups if I'm honest. Then again I barely pay that much attention to bi-lateral ODI series.
Well I agree with you there. But you'd think teams would be prioritising T20 at the mo. Australia seemed to pick their best XI for the ODI's and have now brought in a bunch of T20 regulars to replace some of the big guns.

I get that the Test series is coming and should take priority, maybe would've made more sense to play the T20's first with the likes of Starc/Cummins then rest them for the ODI's.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 11:52   #76
Sir Coolerking
World Class
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 6,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony p View Post
It might be coming up, but I have a very low care factor about it.
It's a game I watch for 10 or so minutes, leave for half an hour, comeback and watch the last couple of overs.
I've never been a fan of utter bat domination, after about 10 boundaries and the 5th six, that will do me.
You may have a low care factor, but I'd have thought the players would quite like to win it. Doesn't seem like Australia are giving themselves the best opportunity at the moment.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 15:40   #77
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 12,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
You may have a low care factor, but I'd have thought the players would quite like to win it. Doesn't seem like Australia are giving themselves the best opportunity at the moment.
Plenty of time before next October.
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 21:21   #78
MRNC4.0
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 3,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony p View Post
It might be coming up, but I have a very low care factor about it.
It's a game I watch for 10 or so minutes, leave for half an hour, comeback and watch the last couple of overs.
I've never been a fan of utter bat domination, after about 10 boundaries and the 5th six, that will do me.
Even so, it's odd that you wouldn't attempt to put your best foot forward given that you're hosting the world cup pretty soon no? At least use this series as an opportunity to develop younger players or have a look at someone else more likely to be relevant to the side in 12-24 months time, instead of, old hacks, to put it bluntly, who are and were never cut out for it. Much like ODI's, I don't care about/quickly forget series results, but world cups are a different matter, and should be the end goal.
MRNC4.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2020, 06:51   #79
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,882
Meanwhile, India just clinging on to avoid a defeat against Australia A. A very sad performance from our batsmen, and we reached this far thanks to Rahane and Pujara in the first innings and Saha in the second.
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2020, 07:10   #80
MRNC4.0
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 3,442
A duck for Burns to continue his run of awful form, averaging just 8 this season. Would not surprise me at all if this is a plot to get Shaun Marsh back into the side. They may go with a Harris/Pucovski combination for the first test, but who knows at this point.
MRNC4.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:22.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org