Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st December 2020, 17:25   #21
Greatbatch
World Class
 
Greatbatch's Avatar
Easy Southee
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): NZ
Posts: 6,055
We maybe dull but we can still beat exciting England, we will drag you down to our dull level and beat you with experience.

Wagner will charge in all day with short balls even with a broken toe, he will never give up, he is a relentless bowling machine.
Greatbatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2020, 22:49   #22
square leg umpire
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 10,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatbatch View Post
We maybe dull but we can still beat exciting England, we will drag you down to our dull level and beat you with experience.

Wagner will charge in all day with short balls even with a broken toe, he will never give up, he is a relentless bowling machine.
Don't know what he meant by dull. What would have been a more exciting way to win the test?
square leg umpire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2021, 04:07   #23
Greatbatch
World Class
 
Greatbatch's Avatar
Easy Southee
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): NZ
Posts: 6,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by square leg umpire View Post
Don't know what he meant by dull. What would have been a more exciting way to win the test?
It was an exciting last session and finish to the test, the 2 sessions prior to that were a dull grind but that was more due to the pitch than the players.
Greatbatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2021, 12:54   #24
Sir Coolerking
World Class
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 5,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatbatch View Post
It was an exciting last session and finish to the test, the 2 sessions prior to that were a dull grind but that was more due to the pitch than the players.
I watched the morning session most days. The pitch wasn't conducive to great cricket, and that's been a bit of a complaint about NZ pitches in general. But they've found a way to win on them. However, hard to take them seriously as number 1 in the world when they so rarely play away.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2021, 13:20   #25
Greatbatch
World Class
 
Greatbatch's Avatar
Easy Southee
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): NZ
Posts: 6,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
I watched the morning session most days. The pitch wasn't conducive to great cricket, and that's been a bit of a complaint about NZ pitches in general. But they've found a way to win on them. However, hard to take them seriously as number 1 in the world when they so rarely play away.
It's not NZ's fault that they play so few away series, they don't control the fixturing and they aren't a big money spinner like India, England or Australia so aren't in demand as much when it comes to overseas tours.

At least NZ plays teams from other countries and travel overseas occasionally, Major League Baseball teams in the US can declare themselves World Champions without ever travelling overseas or playing any teams from other countries.
Greatbatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2021, 11:10   #26
Greatbatch
World Class
 
Greatbatch's Avatar
Easy Southee
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): NZ
Posts: 6,055
Decent first innings total from Pakistan, Williamson will probably chase that total down by himself though he's that good.
Greatbatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2021, 00:01   #27
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 12,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by square leg umpire View Post
Don't know what he meant by dull. What would have been a more exciting way to win the test?
If he is not just trolling then I think he probably means that test cricket is dull except if it is the brand of cricket that the England men's team used to play, whereby batters throw their wickets away by expressing themselves and the team generally loses.
sanskritsimon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2021, 07:21   #28
Greatbatch
World Class
 
Greatbatch's Avatar
Easy Southee
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): NZ
Posts: 6,055
Williamson's good summer continues with another ton, NZ on track for a big first innings lead with only 3 wickets down and scores almost level.
Greatbatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2021, 08:20   #29
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 24,650
To think England barely scraped past the Windies and Pakistan last summer...
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2021, 08:25   #30
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 24,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanskritsimon View Post
If he is not just trolling then I think he probably means that test cricket is dull except if it is the brand of cricket that the England men's team used to play, whereby batters throw their wickets away by expressing themselves and the team generally loses.
They're just dull, and not only in test cricket. As someone said, the home wickets don't help, but I just can't get excited about this team.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2021, 15:16   #31
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 30,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
They're just dull, and not only in test cricket. As someone said, the home wickets don't help, but I just can't get excited about this team.
It was only two years ago* they played the dullest game of all time, against England at Lord's in the WC Final. They lack the flair for strangles down the legside of SA v SL.


*Or within the last 24 hours if you're watching the Sky Cricket Channel as it seems to be repeated daily.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2021, 22:08   #32
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 24,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
It was only two years ago* they played the dullest game of all time, against England at Lord's in the WC Final. They lack the flair for strangles down the legside of SA v SL.


*Or within the last 24 hours if you're watching the Sky Cricket Channel as it seems to be repeated daily.
Well, they should've won the match by about 20 runs, in which case it would've been a pretty dull final. However, their capacity to wilt under pressure rescued the match and England's dreams.

At least the Saffers have de Kock, Nortje, Rabada and a spinner while Sri Lanka are somewhat mercurial at present.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2021, 00:26   #33
square leg umpire
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 10,407
Pakistan missing a stack of chances. has cost them.
square leg umpire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2021, 07:22   #34
Greatbatch
World Class
 
Greatbatch's Avatar
Easy Southee
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): NZ
Posts: 6,055
Another good day for NZ with Williamson scoring a double ton, Nicholls scoring a 150 and Mitchell scoring his debut ton.

Pakistan 1 wicket down at stumps and still trailing by 354 runs, another loss looking likely for them unless rain comes to their rescue.
Greatbatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2021, 13:10   #35
Sir Coolerking
World Class
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 5,995
I'm wondering how long Kyle Jamieson can keep up the impressive start to his Test Career. In his 6 matches to date he's taken 31 wickets at 14 and scored 226 runs at 56.

Also worth noting that Shan Masood joins Warner and Bopara as batsmen to have scored 3 consecutive centuries and 3 consecutive ducks!!
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2021, 13:18   #36
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 26,636
https://twitter.com/PeterDellaPenna/...23186242625538

Interesting analysis re Kane Williamson. Yes, it probably doesn't help him that NZ have played so few tests away in recent times and obviously won't do anytime soon.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2021, 14:22   #37
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 30,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Well, they should've won the match by about 20 runs, in which case it would've been a pretty dull final. However, their capacity to wilt under pressure rescued the match and England's dreams.

At least the Saffers have de Kock, Nortje, Rabada and a spinner while Sri Lanka are somewhat mercurial at present.
And NZ have Williamson, Watling, Boult, Ross Taylor, Wagner (albeit not in this test) etc
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2021, 14:41   #38
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 899 Cummins 301 SCurran 58 Jhye 39
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London
Posts: 22,882
Don't think NZ are dull at all. They have the strongest batting line up of the Test sides and a wonderful bowling attack of Boult, Southee, Wagner and Jamieson. Only missing a top spinner.

Rankings
1 Australia 116 (26 Tests)
2 New Zealand 116 (24)
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2021, 14:44   #39
Sir Coolerking
World Class
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 5,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
Don't think NZ are dull at all. They have the strongest batting line up of the Test sides and a wonderful bowling attack of Boult, Southee, Wagner and Jamieson. Only missing a top spinner.

Rankings
1 Australia 116 (26 Tests)
2 New Zealand 116 (24)
What's the breakdown of location for those Tests? Australia have 5 in England, NZ haven't played a Test here since 2015!
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2021, 14:54   #40
sweatysock
Established International
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Team(s): Sussex & Scotland
Posts: 3,992
Always get the impression that NZ lose the plot a bit when they play the Aussies - given their line-up no real reason why they shouldnt be on a par
sweatysock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:34.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org