Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th December 2020, 11:32   #21
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 24,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
Did you watch any of it? His first 8 overs were abysmal and went for over 50 (could easily have been more). However, credit to him in coming back well and cleaning up the tail.

Looks like the key moment in the match was the injury to Dhananjaya.
Yes, he was trash in his first couple of spells. Wouldn't be the first debutant bowler to struggle. I recall Hardus Viljoen debuting against England a few years back after a strong domestic season. He went for about 5 an over, despite taking Cook's wicket first ball and never played another test match.

No one suggested he was selected because of the colour of his skin.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2020, 03:41   #22
MRNC4.0
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 3,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Hmm. Markram has done the square root of **** all since the Sandpaper Series. I have a lot of respect for Elgar but suspect he's now past his peak, while Faf is almost at the bottom of his decent. Bavuma averages 30 in test cricket while van de Dussen is so bad at playing spin that watching him face Joe Root brought back memories of Cullinan against Warne. De Kock is class, but like almost all keeper batsmen, he can't be the mainstay of a batting lineup.

Anyhow, first test wicket for Sipamla.
Akram 95
Elgar 68
Faf 199
Bavuma 71...

I'll pay you Dussen, however.
MRNC4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2020, 09:20   #23
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 24,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRNC4.0 View Post
Akram 95
Elgar 68
Faf 199
Bavuma 71...

I'll pay you Dussen, however.
Have you seen who they're batting against though? I'd fancy your guys to run up the score against this Sri Lankan attack, especially with all the injuries.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2020, 09:23   #24
MRNC4.0
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 3,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Have you seen who they're batting against though? I'd fancy your guys to run up the score against this Sri Lankan attack, especially with all the injuries.
This same attack beat them last time though, so at least it's some improvement.
MRNC4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2020, 10:06   #25
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 24,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRNC4.0 View Post
This same attack beat them last time though, so at least it's some improvement.
Perhaps, but they were bloody awful when we beat them last year. Didn't pass 300 in eight innings.

Looks like the bowlers are wrapping up a simple victory here.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2020, 10:35   #26
Sir Coolerking
World Class
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 6,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Yes, he was trash in his first couple of spells. Wouldn't be the first debutant bowler to struggle. I recall Hardus Viljoen debuting against England a few years back after a strong domestic season. He went for about 5 an over, despite taking Cook's wicket first ball and never played another test match.

No one suggested he was selected because of the colour of his skin.
Probably because S African quotas don't work like that.

Only 3 bowlers used by S Africa in the 2nd innings so far, is Sipamla going to be a tail specialist?
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2020, 11:29   #27
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 24,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
Probably because S African quotas don't work like that.

Only 3 bowlers used by S Africa in the 2nd innings so far, is Sipamla going to be a tail specialist?
Perhaps they are there to stop the bias towards selecting undeserving white players like Viljoen.

He's bowled now, taking the wicket of all-rounder Sanaka.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2020, 11:39   #28
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 26,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Perhaps they are there to stop the bias towards selecting undeserving white players like Viljoen.

He's bowled now, taking the wicket of all-rounder Sanaka.
In all honesty, SA have been a shambles for the past few years as you have pointed out. They have probably hit rock bottom in the last year or so. Hopefully one or two of the young players like Simpamla and Mulder, the seam bowling all-rounder can kick on. They still need about 3 or 4 batsmen of quality if they are going to be competitive again. That said, there are few teams, barring New Zealand who appear to have a reasonably settled and competent batting lineup in the test arena.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2020, 13:41   #29
Sir Coolerking
World Class
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 6,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
In all honesty, SA have been a shambles for the past few years as you have pointed out. They have probably hit rock bottom in the last year or so. Hopefully one or two of the young players like Simpamla and Mulder, the seam bowling all-rounder can kick on. They still need about 3 or 4 batsmen of quality if they are going to be competitive again. That said, there are few teams, barring New Zealand who appear to have a reasonably settled and competent batting lineup in the test arena.
Apart from their woeful efforts in Australia last year, when did they last actually play a Test outside NZ?

They could make the final of the WTC largely on the back of only playing short Test series at home.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2020, 13:53   #30
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 26,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
Apart from their woeful efforts in Australia last year, when did they last actually play a Test outside NZ?

They could make the final of the WTC largely on the back of only playing short Test series at home.
It is a reasonable point that they haven't played much outside their own country and that they have a history of bottling v the Aussies. Their last away series apart from Australia was a 2 test 1-1 draw in Sri Lanka back in 2019. Before that, they had won in UAE v Pakistan back in 2018. Yes, they don't really play many tests, but overall they are a little better at travelling than most from what I recall.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2020, 13:53   #31
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 24,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
Apart from their woeful efforts in Australia last year, when did they last actually play a Test outside NZ?

They could make the final of the WTC largely on the back of only playing short Test series at home.
Yes, an interesting point. Since the start of 2017, they've played 14 series. 11 at home, one in UAE (they won 2-1), a 1-1 draw in SL and that hammering suffered in Australia. Only the series in Australia, UAE and a 1-0 home defeat to the Saffers have been 3 matches.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2020, 15:58   #32
Rebelstar
International Cricketer
 
Rebelstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
A pretty tepid purple patch.
I know most see black/white when it comes to good/bad batting averages, 37+ isn't fantastic nor as best spells of batting go that phenomenal, but my point was more he can score at around what is needed, works on that failing of getting to fifty and not a hundred and he might be a decent fit for the side
Rebelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2020, 17:49   #33
Sir Coolerking
World Class
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 6,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Yes, an interesting point. Since the start of 2017, they've played 14 series. 11 at home, one in UAE (they won 2-1), a 1-1 draw in SL and that hammering suffered in Australia. Only the series in Australia, UAE and a 1-0 home defeat to the Saffers have been 3 matches.
Blimey that's astonishing, didn't realise it was that skewed to home Tests. That so few are even 3 match series let alone more makes it easier to win WTC points. Not hard to see why this ridiculous creation is already doomed.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2021, 22:06   #34
square leg umpire
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 10,408
Set the highlights to record and they had an interview with Nasser instead. wonder what's going on?
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2021, 22:09   #35
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 24,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by square leg umpire View Post
Set the highlights to record and they had an interview with Nasser instead. wonder what's going on?
It's a good show that one, one of the better Captain's Log episodes.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2021, 22:56   #36
square leg umpire
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 10,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
It's a good show that one, one of the better Captain's Log episodes.
Missed the Sri Lankan wickets, sooner have seen those.
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2021, 01:31   #37
MRNC4.0
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 3,431
Now even Dussen is making runs as Elgar continues his incredible rise as the top opening batsman in the world. The South African resurgence is almost complete.
MRNC4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2021, 14:52   #38
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 24,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRNC4.0 View Post
Now even Dussen is making runs as Elgar continues his incredible rise as the top opening batsman in the world. The South African resurgence is almost complete.
This post aged about as well as mine in the first test, although I expect the bowlers will win the match for them without the batters having to work up too much sweat second time around.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2021, 14:54   #39
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 30,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRNC4.0 View Post
Akram & Elgar could/should be the best opening pair in test cricket, and there are worse middle orders than Faf, QDK & Bavuma, who are all at least experienced. It's 7 down where it starts to break/have a genuine unknown quantity about it.
That seems to be quite a weak batting line-up to me. It seems full of players who'd do ok as the 6th best batsman in the side (in QdK's case because he has the gloves). Have they made Bell their batting coach or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRNC4.0 View Post
Now even Dussen is making runs as Elgar continues his incredible rise as the top opening batsman in the world. The South African resurgence is almost complete.
I can't say I rate this SL side. This game has that feel of W*** H** v Fulham about it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2021, 15:10   #40
Sir Coolerking
World Class
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 6,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
This post aged about as well as mine in the first test, although I expect the bowlers will win the match for them without the batters having to work up too much sweat second time around.
I had given up on this Test and just checked the scorecard, that was quite a collapse by SA.

Of course, then I turn it on to see Thirimanne strangled down the legside.

Edit: Mendis also now strangled!!
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:39.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org