Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th January 2021, 14:45   #21
Rebelstar
International Cricketer
 
Rebelstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer View Post
Nevertheless Sky is the channel that provides the best coverage of international cricket. The best technology, ever improving, the best commentary teams- give or take the odd individual whose commentary and/or views drive you mad. The best method of commentating, definitely with just two people o each shift. Listening to Australian commentary with its groups of three each trying to get a word in is painful.

As well as the matches themselves there are discussion shows and cricket documentaries.

I wouldn’t be without it!
With little or nothing to compare it with how can you know if the commentary is "the best" ?!?!?

Two people to a shift is fairly standard, just because others use three doesn't make the commentary "better" just the three worse.. and can depend who it is
Rebelstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2021, 15:32   #22
Sir Coolerking
World Class
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 6,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelstar View Post
With little or nothing to compare it with how can you know if the commentary is "the best" ?!?!?

Two people to a shift is fairly standard, just because others use three doesn't make the commentary "better" just the three worse.. and can depend who it is
I think 3 has become the norm nowadays, certainly in Tests.

Sky generally only use 2 for the T20 touring circuit.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2021, 20:29   #23
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 24,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsre View Post
As mentioned at the beginning, the market is becoming increasingly fragmented.

On one hand, 2020 was something of a watershed year for me in terms of being able to view stuff. Once equipped with a smart TV, YouTube and Facebook Watch really become on-demand TV channels, and with the range of coverage accelerated last year, I was able to watch, for example, matches streamed by Surrey and Somerset to a very reasonable standard.

Just this week, thanks to Sri Lanka Cricket, I have been able to watch the highlights of the Sri Lanka v England Test, on YouTube, which was unthinkable before, and is absolutely great to have (this I accessed from Sweden, I don't know if it's available in the UK).

All this kind of stuff is surely only going to get better.

On the other hand, what I find very frustrating is the lack of access to a lot of archive material. Before, one could buy several DVDs every year, some with extensive material (such as the 5-DVD box set of the 2005 Ashes). In recent years, these have dried up to nothing. Yet they are not available on line - for example, the only online access to the 2019 World Cup final is an 8-minute clip on the ICC site, which I find absolutely staggering.

With the ease of placing stuff online, surely there must be a global market for the highlights of every televised match anywhere being placed online on YouTube, where at least they would gain a bit of revenue through advertising.

There is stuff on YouTube with which one can be entertained, but it's totally random and requires a fair bit of mining to discover (see another thread I created about this). A typical example of this utter randomness is that all four 2015 T20 Blast quarter-finals are on YouTube in full, but there is little else.
Interesting points at the end Paul, and I expect applies to sport more widely than cricket. I had at least two Arsenal "season vids" from the nineties and DVDs of three England cricket series. The British and Irish Lions also produced excellent documentary type productions of their tours (the 1997 version being a classic of sports reportage). I am sure there are many on YouTube, but other archive stuff will have been consigned to oblivion or some warehouse like at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Sky do show lots of archive stuff on their sporting channels and Amazon and BT are following their approach of producing documentaries too, but it's neither complete not accessible.

Possible business idea to create some kind of subscription service that contains all this archive material.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2021, 09:41   #24
Sir Coolerking
World Class
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 6,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Interesting points at the end Paul, and I expect applies to sport more widely than cricket. I had at least two Arsenal "season vids" from the nineties and DVDs of three England cricket series. The British and Irish Lions also produced excellent documentary type productions of their tours (the 1997 version being a classic of sports reportage). I am sure there are many on YouTube, but other archive stuff will have been consigned to oblivion or some warehouse like at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Sky do show lots of archive stuff on their sporting channels and Amazon and BT are following their approach of producing documentaries too, but it's neither complete not accessible.

Possible business idea to create some kind of subscription service that contains all this archive material.
There was a fella on twitter who kept posting vintage clips of cricket from the 80's onwards. I'm not sure where he got them from, but he was stopped by the likes of the ECB and CA for doing it without a license. That suggested to me that they owned the rights.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2021, 09:50   #25
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 26,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
There was a fella on twitter who kept posting vintage clips of cricket from the 80's onwards. I'm not sure where he got them from, but he was stopped by the likes of the ECB and CA for doing it without a license. That suggested to me that they owned the rights.
Rob Moody? He still posts plenty of stuff and I don't know what he was prevented from doing but he still seems to have access to plenty of material. It is one of my favourite twitter things to see highlights of old action. You would have thought the ECB/CA should do something similar themselves on both their own website and other platforms.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2021, 10:02   #26
Sir Coolerking
World Class
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 6,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
Rob Moody? He still posts plenty of stuff and I don't know what he was prevented from doing but he still seems to have access to plenty of material. It is one of my favourite twitter things to see highlights of old action. You would have thought the ECB/CA should do something similar themselves on both their own website and other platforms.
Yeah, that's the one. I stopped following him but looks like he's back in business. He definitely got blocked for a bit.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2021, 11:21   #27
paulsre
World Class
 
paulsre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In a class 101 Met Cam time machine to the past
Team(s): Stockholm Taverners CC, Farsta BCCE, County cricket, MCCU cricket, England, Scarborough CC
Posts: 7,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
You would have thought the ECB/CA should do something similar themselves on both their own website and other platforms.
Cricket Australia has put several entire matches online on their YouTube channel - I watched one back in April. See the thread I created about this - I will try to add some more when I get around to it.

ECB does have some highlights of matches/days of around 18 minutes duration each - the selection seems to be fairly random apart from being designated by them as "classics".
paulsre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2021, 12:59   #28
paulsre
World Class
 
paulsre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In a class 101 Met Cam time machine to the past
Team(s): Stockholm Taverners CC, Farsta BCCE, County cricket, MCCU cricket, England, Scarborough CC
Posts: 7,234
Getting back to the issue of coverage of current series and matches, the best deal I had was with South Asian content provider YuppTV, who provided coverage of the IPL in Sweden and elsewhere (more or less the same pictures and audio as Sky, I think).

This I was able to buy as a package for the whole tournament at an extremely cheap price. For this I got live coverage but also catch-up of each match, which was up and running before the match finished, allowing one to watch the game 'live' in the evening or even the next day if one wished. No bundling, no recurring fees.

This also has its pitfalls, though - if, say, a Kent supporter wants to watch Sussex v Kent, and nothing else, or maybe just a few matches, they don't want to buy a package for the entire T20 Blast, nor do they want to buy a package to watch all of Sussex's matches. The model of being able to buy "admission" to one game is, I believe, now being widely used by football clubs.
paulsre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2021, 14:09   #29
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 24,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsre View Post
Getting back to the issue of coverage of current series and matches, the best deal I had was with South Asian content provider YuppTV, who provided coverage of the IPL in Sweden and elsewhere (more or less the same pictures and audio as Sky, I think).

This I was able to buy as a package for the whole tournament at an extremely cheap price. For this I got live coverage but also catch-up of each match, which was up and running before the match finished, allowing one to watch the game 'live' in the evening or even the next day if one wished. No bundling, no recurring fees.

This also has its pitfalls, though - if, say, a Kent supporter wants to watch Sussex v Kent, and nothing else, or maybe just a few matches, they don't want to buy a package for the entire T20 Blast, nor do they want to buy a package to watch all of Sussex's matches. The model of being able to buy "admission" to one game is, I believe, now being widely used by football clubs.
The cost quickly ramps up, though
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2021, 16:12   #30
Aidan11
Harmisonesque
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere cold and wet
Posts: 43,399
Don't know if anyone's interested but from tomorrow Freesports are televising the ODI series between Afghanistan and Ireland live. Coverage begins at 5.20am.
Aidan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2021, 08:24   #31
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 12,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan11 View Post
Don't know if anyone's interested but from tomorrow Freesports are televising the ODI series between Afghanistan and Ireland live. Coverage begins at 5.20am.
I'm on there now. Ad breaks after every over, only there are no ads yet. The time is completely wasted; there's not even a "help save the planet" or a "be nice to each other" or a "don't cosy up to the baddies". Why not? Because capitalism is a crock only of sh!t. They call this free, but actually we have already paid for the ads that aren't there yet. Speaking for myself, I prefer not to get what we paid for, but I fear it will be made obligatory.
sanskritsimon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2021, 09:03   #32
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 12,211
It is impossible not to have the sound turned down. The stupid tune that accompanies the not-yet-ads (i.e., the ads for ad-space) is louder than the commentary that comes in between times. What do you do if you have a smoke alarm that goes off every few minutes even if there is no smoke? You disable it.

My conclusion concerning cricket on TV in the UK is that the kind of cricket that is available to view is by and large the kind of cricket that exists only in order to be a vehicle for advertising. Which means that attempting to consume it is really only viable if what you like best is advertising.
sanskritsimon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2021, 10:48   #33
paulsre
World Class
 
paulsre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In a class 101 Met Cam time machine to the past
Team(s): Stockholm Taverners CC, Farsta BCCE, County cricket, MCCU cricket, England, Scarborough CC
Posts: 7,234
My belief is that every match that is broadcast should be obtainable anywhere in the world where there is an internet connection, on any device.

Naturally the ideal with most commercial services is for them to reach globally. Especially with cricket, there is not much out there really - very little compared with football.

You only have to look at the views for the Sri-Lanka vs England Test on YouTube posted by Cricket Sri Lanka - up to 900,000 on most days.

The Hundred would be an ideal tournament to stream on YouTube to the world. Limiting its access to just a few million people is commercially insane. It would be like Coldplay saying "We're only going to make our songs available in the UK."

Yet this is still very much what happens with a lot of cricket. And then of course frustrated fans in other countries turn to pirate streams in order to watch.
paulsre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2021, 15:07   #34
Sir Coolerking
World Class
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 6,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan11 View Post
Don't know if anyone's interested but from tomorrow Freesports are televising the ODI series between Afghanistan and Ireland live. Coverage begins at 5.20am.
And then with 30 odd runs needed in 3 overs, they switched to Ice Hockey!!

A bit like the old days of nipping off from Lord's for a race at Haydock.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2021, 18:38   #35
Jock McTuffnel v3
Posting God
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 10,513
Any news on England vs India both tv and Radio ?
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2021, 21:42   #36
Aidan11
Harmisonesque
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere cold and wet
Posts: 43,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
Any news on England vs India both tv and Radio ?
Talksport have the radio rights. Not sure about tv.
Aidan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2021, 21:50   #37
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 12,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan11 View Post
Talksport have the radio rights. Not sure about tv.
You just ruined my year.
sanskritsimon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2021, 10:40   #38
Jock McTuffnel v3
Posting God
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 10,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan11 View Post
Talksport have the radio rights. Not sure about tv.
FFS !
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2021, 13:29   #39
Aidan11
Harmisonesque
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere cold and wet
Posts: 43,399
This is a handy guide for cricket on tv...

https://www.wheresthematch.com/live-cricket-on-tv/
Aidan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2021, 13:46   #40
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 43,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelstar View Post
With little or nothing to compare it with how can you know if the commentary is "the best" ?!?!?

Two people to a shift is fairly standard, just because others use three doesn't make the commentary "better" just the three worse.. and can depend who it is
Well of course, some commentators are better than others. But ideally you just have two commentators at a time, better for interaction and fluidity of commentary.
__________________
As balanced and focused as the next man
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 20:00.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org