Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th February 2021, 08:37   #81
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyduck View Post
India have been absolutely superb since lunch from both ends. Nice to see the ball reversing.
Agree with this. Wonderful bowling.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2021, 08:38   #82
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 24,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
I know it is something of a cliche, but add 2 wickets to this and things could get really grim.Sibley might have a ‘Dentury’ but it will be little use if he doesn’t score significant runs.
Had to look that one up. Has its own urban dictionary entry, v possibly added by our own Shaky

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dentury
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2021, 08:52   #83
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 26,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Had to look that one up. Has its own urban dictionary entry, v possibly added by our own Shaky

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dentury
In fairness, the last couple of overs have been pretty positive with Sibley getting a couple of boundaries and putting a little bit of pressure on the young Indian spinners. Even so he still needs to get a big score to make it worthwhile because it can be all undone very quickly.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2021, 09:04   #84
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 12,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
I know it is something of a cliche, but add 2 wickets to this and things could get really grim.Sibley might have a ‘Dentury’ but it will be little use if he doesn’t score significant runs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
In fairness, the last couple of overs have been pretty positive with Sibley getting a couple of boundaries and putting a little bit of pressure on the young Indian spinners. Even so he still needs to get a big score to make it worthwhile because it can be all undone very quickly.
Obviously it will be better if he stays in long enough to get lots and lots of runs, but in the meantime it is certainly worthwhile, while the bowling is good, to stay in and pick up runs occasionally. It is always the case that if several wickets fall suddenly then the scorecard looks worse and the team's position has changed.
sanskritsimon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2021, 09:08   #85
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 26,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanskritsimon View Post
Obviously it will be better if he stays in long enough to get lots and lots of runs, but in the meantime it is certainly worthwhile, while the bowling is good, to stay in and pick up runs occasionally. It is always the case that if several wickets fall suddenly then the scorecard looks worse and the team's position has changed.
Of course it is. However, circa 10 overs or so ago England were 80odd for 2 when India had turned the screw. If he had got out then, there could have been a clatter. As ConfusedMale points out, wickets tend to fall in clutters in India and if he he had got out then a score of say 120-5 would be really grim. He's been more positive and have got England more out of immediate danger. Well played him and Root so far.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2021, 09:21   #86
Sir Coolerking
World Class
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 6,020
Whilst the Burns wicket was daft, I wonder if he was feeling the pressure to score runs because Sibley was doing nothing at the other end?

Sibley is doing a good job, but I still think he could rotate just a little better.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2021, 09:23   #87
Sir Coolerking
World Class
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 6,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Had to look that one up. Has its own urban dictionary entry, v possibly added by our own Shaky

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dentury
Didn't the Aussies create it first for Ed Cowan?
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2021, 09:25   #88
Ricky_Rabbit
Established International
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Leicestershire
Team(s): Notts and England
Posts: 3,806
Looking at this surface I am really glad England won the toss.

Even if they end up with a middling score, at least they are in the game. If India had batted we could have been chasing leather for two days and in a whole heap of trouble to save the game.
__________________
Still waiting for Notts to produce some decent batsmen
Ricky_Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2021, 09:40   #89
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 12,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
Whilst the Burns wicket was daft, I wonder if he was feeling the pressure to score runs because Sibley was doing nothing at the other end?
I doubt it. If so, that was even dafter than the shot he played.
sanskritsimon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2021, 09:44   #90
Jock McTuffnel v3
Posting God
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 10,513
Decent start and team selection IMHO.

Whats the moaning topic then ? Sibley scoring too slowly ?
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2021, 10:10   #91
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardcharlie View Post
Are you Alistair Cook in disguise?
I definitely can't play cricket like him; I guess I only picked up commenting like him.

Also, before MF picks it up, you might want to change it to Alastair. As I found out once, she can be pretty unforgiving with that.
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2021, 10:13   #92
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
Decent start and team selection IMHO.

Whats the moaning topic then ? Sibley scoring too slowly ?
If you are an Indian, it is Root scoring runs.
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2021, 10:15   #93
Jock McTuffnel v3
Posting God
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 10,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedMale View Post
If you are an Indian, it is Root scoring runs.
Don't look at the scorecards from the recent Sri Lanka series - may ruin you Friday.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2021, 10:21   #94
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
Don't look at the scorecards from the recent Sri Lanka series - may ruin you Friday.
I don't care what he did in SL, as long as he doesn't repeat them here in India.
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2021, 10:22   #95
Jock McTuffnel v3
Posting God
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 10,513
Why have India selected a 31 year old bowler that has played 1 test over a year ago ?

Did they think their 2nd XI was good enough ?
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2021, 10:30   #96
Sir Coolerking
World Class
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 6,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedMale View Post
I don't care what he did in SL, as long as he doesn't repeat them here in India.
I don't see him going that big, India's bowlers exerting so much more control than Sri Lanka's could.

At what point do you expect the wicket to start changing?
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2021, 10:33   #97
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27,442
This is looking like a phenomenal toss to win.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2021, 10:39   #98
Jock McTuffnel v3
Posting God
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 10,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
This is looking like a phenomenal toss to win.
If Dom Bess had served up some of the leg side and half track pies that Nadeem has today - his head would have been on a pike.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2021, 10:42   #99
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
If Dom Bess had served up some of the leg side and half track pies that Nadeem has today - his head would have been on a pike.
And you think Nadeem's isn't? I think the Indian team got influenced by Embuldeniya's exploits and decided to go with a left arm orthodox bowler. It should have been Kuldeep or even probably a Siraj.
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2021, 10:43   #100
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
I don't see him going that big, India's bowlers exerting so much more control than Sri Lanka's could.

At what point do you expect the wicket to start changing?
I'm no expert, but it looks like the pitch might start disintegrating from early 3rd day. There isn't much pace in it, though, so deviations off the pitch might not be as big a challenge as one thinks. We probably are going to have both teams score in excess of 500.
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:40.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© Cricket247.org