Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th February 2021, 08:36   #21
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,881
For India, I think it could be Axar in place of Nadeem. I don't think we'd have any further changes, though I'd be tempted to have Sundar opening in place of Rohit Sharma and including Siraj lower down the order. Rohit averages something like 17 or less at Chennai, so I don't see that changing much with the likes of Anderson and Broad opening the bowling.
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2021, 08:46   #22
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27,442
But harsh on Bess but sadly root lost all faith in him in the second innings when he could not pitch it. Poor bloke.

He is a character who I fully expect to bounce back stronger though.

Fingers crossed moeen is right. A performing moeen makes England stronger in all forms.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2021, 08:55   #23
Jock McTuffnel v3
Posting God
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 10,513
Will Moeen take his umpteenth chance ?
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2021, 09:13   #24
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
Will Moeen take his umpteenth chance ?
Sadly I suspect you hope he fails.

We should all hope he emulates his last series against India where he averaged 30 with the bat and took 12 wickets at 21.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2021, 09:34   #25
Jock McTuffnel v3
Posting God
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 10,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
Sadly I suspect you hope he fails.

We should all hope he emulates his last series against India where he averaged 30 with the bat and took 12 wickets at 21.
Certainly the Ozzies will be hoping he does enough for them to target as the fragile and weak link in the winter.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2021, 09:38   #26
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 26,647
Canít say that I am convinced by the changes. Fair enough to take out Bess if he genuinely has the yips yet we are replacing him with someone who did the same on his last test appearance?

And no, I wouldnít have Moeen near the top of the order now. Almost certainly India would have one of their quicks bump him off.

The last seaming spot is intriguing but sadly you wonít be seeing a spell of reverse swing like that one from Anderson.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2021, 10:08   #27
Sir Coolerking
World Class
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 6,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
Canít say that I am convinced by the changes. Fair enough to take out Bess if he genuinely has the yips yet we are replacing him with someone who did the same on his last test appearance?

And no, I wouldnít have Moeen near the top of the order now. Almost certainly India would have one of their quicks bump him off.

The last seaming spot is intriguing but sadly you wonít be seeing a spell of reverse swing like that one from Anderson.
A bit harsh on Broad who has arguably been the best Test Seamer of the last 3 years.

If we play Woakes we've got one hell of a long batting line up, but I'd go with Stone as a more like for like with Archer.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2021, 10:09   #28
Sir Coolerking
World Class
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 6,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
Crawley will be back at 3.
I wouldn't rule out Bairstow at 3 in these conditions, he was more assured than Crawley in Sri Lanka. If Burns fails twice, you could see Crawley open.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2021, 10:12   #29
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 12,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan11 View Post
... Bit harsh for Bess to be dropped
Sir Virgs used the word "rested", which is perhaps more to the point. In the old days England might just have picked their best side whatever, even if that means someone not playing any matches on the tour; but under the current circumstances it seems an attempt is being made to ensure that everyone gets a go, which is fair enough, as otherwise the tour would be an excessively dismal experience for some. We actually have a lot of strength in depth in most departments at the moment.
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2021, 10:17   #30
Sir Coolerking
World Class
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 6,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanskritsimon View Post
Sir Virgs used the word "rested", which is perhaps more to the point. In the old days England might just have picked their best side whatever, even if that means someone not playing any matches on the tour; but under the current circumstances it seems an attempt is being made to ensure that everyone gets a go, which is fair enough, as otherwise the tour would be an excessively dismal experience for some. We actually have a lot of strength in depth in most departments at the moment.
It's interesting, Bess took the same number of wickets in the last Test as Anderson. The spinner has been dropped but the seamer rested?? Bess has played 3 hard Tests, maybe he does need a rest.

We play 17 Tests this year, the rotation policy makes a lot of sense and seems to be working pretty well so far.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2021, 10:19   #31
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27,442
Root is clear Jimmy rested and Bess dropped to find his game.

I guess the England team do actually look at how people are taking wickets and whether it is sustainable. I have been mocked by my pal jock on here for saying that in SL leach bowled better most of the time but didn’t get the wickets. I was also mocked for saying bess got a very lucky five fer. It appears England stuck with good rather than lucky.

I am sure bess will have a long career for England but he needs to get his head right.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2021, 10:23   #32
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 26,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
A bit harsh on Broad who has arguably been the best Test Seamer of the last 3 years.

If we play Woakes we've got one hell of a long batting line up, but I'd go with Stone as a more like for like with Archer.
Not denying that Broad isn't excellent, he just isn't really a reverse swing man. He might still be able to prise out wickets though with his cutters. That the seamers have contributed in every single match so far, despite conditions being far from helpful for them is actually the second most outstanding feature of the three tests so far after Root's batting.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2021, 10:40   #33
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 12,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
... That the seamers have contributed in every single match so far, despite conditions being far from helpful for them is actually the second most outstanding feature of the three tests so far after Root's batting.
Over the three tests the spinners have 35 wickets and the seamers 24. The seamers have done well but the spinners have done considerably better in terms of returns.
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2021, 10:40   #34
Sir Coolerking
World Class
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 6,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
Root is clear Jimmy rested and Bess dropped to find his game.

I guess the England team do actually look at how people are taking wickets and whether it is sustainable. I have been mocked by my pal jock on here for saying that in SL leach bowled better most of the time but didnít get the wickets. I was also mocked for saying bess got a very lucky five fer. It appears England stuck with good rather than lucky.

I am sure bess will have a long career for England but he needs to get his head right.
It's true, even in the last Test he got Pujara with a long hop that rebounded off short leg and Rahane with a full toss he hit straight at Root. He's certainly taken more wickets than his bowling deserved and his luck was due to run out. It is probably the right call, but it does sound from Root's words that if Moeen bowls only adequately we're unlikely to see Bess again this Tour.

I sense the Indians may well want to target Mo if they can.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2021, 10:59   #35
Jock McTuffnel v3
Posting God
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 10,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
I wouldn't rule out Bairstow at 3 in these conditions, he was more assured than Crawley in Sri Lanka. If Burns fails twice, you could see Crawley open.
Bairstow not back until the 3rd test.

England have weakened the team by resting Jimmy and with Jofra out. The tail just got longer without Bess's batting.

India have strengthened too.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2021, 11:00   #36
Jock McTuffnel v3
Posting God
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 10,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
I sense the Indians may well want to target Mo if they can.
With bat and ball I expect.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2021, 11:02   #37
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 26,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanskritsimon View Post
Over the three tests the spinners have 35 wickets and the seamers 24. The seamers have done well but the spinners have done considerably better in terms of returns.
The outstanding contribution in the first test in Sri Lanka was Broad's in the first innings.

In the second test, it was Anderson in the first innings.

In the first Chennai test, the outstanding bowling contribution was again Anderson in the 2nd innings.

Yes the spinners might have taken more wickets but it was more the weight of overs rather than consistent quality, although both Bess and Leach had their moments in the last test.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2021, 11:11   #38
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 901 Cummins 301 SCurran 58 Jhye 39
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London
Posts: 22,883
Bess leading wicket taker in SL and India 17 wickets at 22.41.

296.5 overs 35 wickets at 27.42 - Spin
215.3 overs 24 wickets at 22.41 - Seam
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2021, 11:12   #39
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
The outstanding contribution in the first test in Sri Lanka was Broad's in the first innings.

In the second test, it was Anderson in the first innings.

In the first Chennai test, the outstanding bowling contribution was again Anderson in the 2nd innings.

Yes the spinners might have taken more wickets but it was more the weight of overs rather than consistent quality, although both Bess and Leach had their moments in the last test.
Yep. Which suggests a well balanced attack rather than relying on individuals. Letís hope we win the toss and do it again!
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2021, 11:17   #40
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
Bess leading wicket taker in SL and India 17 wickets at 22.41.

296.5 overs 35 wickets at 27.42 - Spin
215.3 overs 24 wickets at 22.41 - Seam
I guess the analysts look at how the wickets come and the percentage of bad balls etc. How many of Domís wickets were due to good bowling? They will have data on that. How many shocking deliveries didnít get punished? How many of the runs leach conceded were due to bad bowling etc? They will know all of that.

One of my best mates is a spurs fan and we have been discussing all season how spurs and Brighton were two massive statistical quirks. When spurs were top of the league it was because Kane and son couldnít miss and Lloris kept making saves. Whereas Brighton created loads of chances and conceding very few shots but kept finding ways of not winning. For example I donít think we have ďlostĒ a single home game this season on expected goals for an against but incredibly we have only won once. It was almost impossible for us to keep conceding freak goals and wonder strikes, just as it was impossible for spurs to keep winning. Both sides have regressed to the mean.

I guess England apply the same theory to Bess. He lost it in the second innings of the last test in a way not dissimilar to moeen in the ashes.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:14.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© Cricket247.org