Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st February 2021, 14:46   #1
Rebelstar
International Cricketer
 
Rebelstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,933
India v England Third Test Ahmedabad Feb 24th-28th

Couldn't see a thread so here we go, hope I edited the copied Second Test title right!

England squad for third Test: Joe Root (capt), James Anderson, Jofra Archer, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Dominic Bess, Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Zak Crawley, Ben Foakes (wk), Dan Lawrence, Jack Leach, Ollie Pope, Dom Sibley, Ben Stokes, Olly Stone, Chris Woakes, Mark Wood.

source : BBC

Good job they have got so many quick bowler options, being in India and.......... whoops! Surely got to be Bess and Leach, I'd go with one quick and Stokes the other option and load the batting a bit but not sure if England will make more runs with 8+ batsmen than with 5-6 as they'll rely on some to make runs mightn't if you gave them 3 lives

Sibley
Burns
Bairstow
Root (c)
Crawley
Stokes
Pope
Foakes (wk)
Bess
Leach
Anderson

Not ideal with some of the batsmen down the order, but not sure of the point of including 3 quick bowling options to bowl maybe because they are there more than expecting much return - Stokes can bowl a few more overs than he has

Maybe the 'grand plan' from England didn't have the foresight to make sure there was a third spinner in the squad, just the two compared to six quicks not including Stokes............
Rebelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2021, 14:59   #2
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 12,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelstar View Post
Couldn't see a thread so here we go, hope I edited the copied Second Test title right!

England squad for third Test: Joe Root (capt), James Anderson, Jofra Archer, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Dominic Bess, Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Zak Crawley, Ben Foakes (wk), Dan Lawrence, Jack Leach, Ollie Pope, Dom Sibley, Ben Stokes, Olly Stone, Chris Woakes, Mark Wood.

source : BBC

Good job they have got so many quick bowler options, being in India and.......... whoops! Surely got to be Bess and Leach, I'd go with one quick and Stokes the other option and load the batting a bit but not sure if England will make more runs with 8+ batsmen than with 5-6 as they'll rely on some to make runs mightn't if you gave them 3 lives

Sibley
Burns
Bairstow
Root (c)
Crawley
Stokes
Pope
Foakes (wk)
Bess
Leach
Anderson

Not ideal with some of the batsmen down the order, but not sure of the point of including 3 quick bowling options to bowl maybe because they are there more than expecting much return - Stokes can bowl a few more overs than he has

Maybe the 'grand plan' from England didn't have the foresight to make sure there was a third spinner in the squad, just the two compared to six quicks not including Stokes............
You would hope under lights that having two new ball bowlers is worth it. They've tied one arm behind their back by only having two spinners in the squad, one of which they decided can't bowl at the moment.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2021, 16:25   #3
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 24,675
Seems like an overly complicated line up. I wonder if Woakes will play with Anderson as the under lights bowlers, then they'll make a decision on Broad v Bess as fourth bowler.

I really wouldn't be surprised if they go for only Leach as the spinner.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:28   #4
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,882
There has been reports about how the pitch is a lush green at Ahmedabad, but I expect all of the grass to be off before the match starts. The pink ball should move around a bit, and this would give the English quicks an advantage. I wonder if we'd be tempted to pick Umesh Yadav as a third seamer, with Axar and Ashwin doing the spin duty. It would considerably weaken our batting, though.
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:28   #5
Sir Coolerking
World Class
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 6,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelstar View Post
Couldn't see a thread so here we go, hope I edited the copied Second Test title right!

England squad for third Test: Joe Root (capt), James Anderson, Jofra Archer, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Dominic Bess, Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Zak Crawley, Ben Foakes (wk), Dan Lawrence, Jack Leach, Ollie Pope, Dom Sibley, Ben Stokes, Olly Stone, Chris Woakes, Mark Wood.

source : BBC

Good job they have got so many quick bowler options, being in India and.......... whoops! Surely got to be Bess and Leach, I'd go with one quick and Stokes the other option and load the batting a bit but not sure if England will make more runs with 8+ batsmen than with 5-6 as they'll rely on some to make runs mightn't if you gave them 3 lives

Sibley
Burns
Bairstow
Root (c)
Crawley
Stokes
Pope
Foakes (wk)
Bess
Leach
Anderson

Not ideal with some of the batsmen down the order, but not sure of the point of including 3 quick bowling options to bowl maybe because they are there more than expecting much return - Stokes can bowl a few more overs than he has

Maybe the 'grand plan' from England didn't have the foresight to make sure there was a third spinner in the squad, just the two compared to six quicks not including Stokes............
Are you aware this is being played under lights? It will be at least 2 seamers plus Stokes, potentially 3.

Anderson doesn't expect reverse though as the whole pitch and outfield seems quite green.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:50   #6
blackeyedangles
County Pro
 
blackeyedangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 520
Archer is expected to be fit, isn't he?

If so, I would think they'll go:

Sibley
Crawley
Bairstow
Root
Stokes
Pope
Foakes
Archer
Bess / Woakes [depending on pitch/tea leaves/ animal entrails. if/when ENG lose this selection pick will be blamed]
Leach
Anderson
blackeyedangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2021, 11:21   #7
Sir Coolerking
World Class
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 6,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackeyedangles View Post
Archer is expected to be fit, isn't he?

If so, I would think they'll go:

Sibley
Crawley
Bairstow
Root
Stokes
Pope
Foakes
Archer
Bess / Woakes [depending on pitch/tea leaves/ animal entrails. if/when ENG lose this selection pick will be blamed]
Leach
Anderson
That's exactly where I've landed, although I suspect Burns may keep his place. The interesting thing is who bats at 3 and which bowler goes with them. If we go with Woakes then that's suggesting it's a wicket to suit the seamers, in which case surely you pick Crawley over Bairstow.

Sensible pairings are Crawley/Woakes and Bairstow/Bess. But when have we ever used logic?
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2021, 11:32   #8
blackeyedangles
County Pro
 
blackeyedangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
That's exactly where I've landed, although I suspect Burns may keep his place. The interesting thing is who bats at 3 and which bowler goes with them. If we go with Woakes then that's suggesting it's a wicket to suit the seamers, in which case surely you pick Crawley over Bairstow.

Sensible pairings are Crawley/Woakes and Bairstow/Bess. But when have we ever used logic?
I take your point, and the underlying logic, here. I feel that the "logic" they use is more likely to be "Bairstow is back so he plays" even if it means we get to watch him being bowled through the gate twice in the Test Match.

If Burns isn't dropped for Crawley at the opening spot in this Test then he will be for Test #4 if he scores no runs.

I'd also be amazed if the pitch is a seamer's paradise because I don't know why they would cede some home advantage like that, but I don't know how the blessed dew would affect spin... so it may just be that it's a fairly good batting track that deteriorates, like the first one.
blackeyedangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2021, 12:50   #9
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 901 Cummins 301 SCurran 58 Jhye 39
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London
Posts: 22,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackeyedangles View Post
I take your point, and the underlying logic, here. I feel that the "logic" they use is more likely to be "Bairstow is back so he plays" even if it means we get to watch him being bowled through the gate twice in the Test Match.

If Burns isn't dropped for Crawley at the opening spot in this Test then he will be for Test #4 if he scores no runs.

I'd also be amazed if the pitch is a seamer's paradise because I don't know why they would cede some home advantage like that, but I don't know how the blessed dew would affect spin... so it may just be that it's a fairly good batting track that deteriorates, like the first one.

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...type=bo wling

I think it will be Ishant, Bumrah, Yadav, Ashwin and Axel.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2021, 13:29   #10
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...type=bo wling

I think it will be Ishant, Bumrah, Yadav, Ashwin and Axel.
That could be a good bowling attack. Despite the inconsistency of Yadav, I feel he poses more threat than either Kuldeep Yadav or Washington Sundar. If the pitch does retain some of the green, this could be a tricky selection due to how much it weakens our batting. I can't expect Ishant, Bumrah and Yadav scoring more than 10 runs between the three of them.
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2021, 13:50   #11
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 901 Cummins 301 SCurran 58 Jhye 39
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London
Posts: 22,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedMale View Post
That could be a good bowling attack. Despite the inconsistency of Yadav, I feel he poses more threat than either Kuldeep Yadav or Washington Sundar. If the pitch does retain some of the green, this could be a tricky selection due to how much it weakens our batting. I can't expect Ishant, Bumrah and Yadav scoring more than 10 runs between the three of them.
f/c
Bumrah 55*
Sharma 66
Yadav 128*
Axar Patel 110*

1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2021, 14:39   #12
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
f/c
Bumrah 55*
Sharma 66
Yadav 128*
Axar Patel 110*

Hahaha...and Agarkar has a century at Lords, but those are exceptions, and I don't expect such scores against Anderson and Co.
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 13:00   #13
Rebelstar
International Cricketer
 
Rebelstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
You would hope under lights that having two new ball bowlers is worth it. They've tied one arm behind their back by only having two spinners in the squad, one of which they decided can't bowl at the moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir coolerKing
Are you aware this is being played under lights? It will be at least 2 seamers plus Stokes, potentially 3.
Good points, although I wasn't seriously putting it out as an XI as there's no way they'd play that many batsmen, just opening up with a bit of something to get discussion going.

Guess it is just frustration with England line ups, tic tacs, selecting same batsmen over and over whether they are cutting it or not, whilst scoring low totals and 'logic' following through to change the bowlers.....!


Still I would be quite surprised if India had any plans to lay out a pitch would negate their massive advantage, England being mostly inable to play spin nor bowl it nearly as well as their counterparts. In a four Test series at 1-1 I'd be gobsmacked if they handed England a decent chance of going 2-1 up

Also was a bit bored, and fed up coming on here to find no 3rd Test thread
Rebelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 16:06   #14
tigertiger
Club Cricketer
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelstar View Post
In a four Test series at 1-1 I'd be gobsmacked if they handed England a decent chance of going 2-1 up
In theory by having a day/night test they have handed over some advantage (dew, cooler, potentially better ball) as would be very worried with two wickets similar to the second test.

Might be hard to pick Kuldeep in the evening (presuming he can grip the wet ball!) but he might be left out anyway.
tigertiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 17:19   #15
blackeyedangles
County Pro
 
blackeyedangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 520
The pitch the day before the Test...

Little surprise that it seems like it will spin https://twitter.com/murgersb/status/1364177845879103491
blackeyedangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 18:59   #16
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 24,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackeyedangles View Post
The pitch the day before the Test...

Little surprise that it seems like it will spin https://twitter.com/murgersb/status/1364177845879103491
We'll only play Leach
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 19:49   #17
Jock McTuffnel v3
Posting God
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 10,521
Stokes
Archer
Root
Jimmy

+ 7 others - don't really have an opinion.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 22:57   #18
Jock McTuffnel v3
Posting God
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 10,521
Tele

England are ready to make up to five changes for the third Test against India including dropping Rory Burns for Zak Crawley as Joe Root ponders the hardest selection decision of his 48 Tests as captain.

Leaving out Burns for Crawley, as Telegraph Sport understands will happen, is not unexpected. Burns is out of form and replacing him with Crawley gives England a top six with only one left-hander. Jonny Bairstow returns for Dan Lawrence, another straightforward call.

England have settled on four seamers but the final decision that will be invading Root’s sleep will be deciding between Stuart Broad, Jofra Archer and Chris Woakes for two pace bowling spots alongside James Anderson and Ben Stokes.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 23:03   #19
Aidan11
Harmisonesque
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere cold and wet
Posts: 43,423
The 1990s have just been on the telephone asking if they can have their selection policy back.
Aidan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2021, 01:23   #20
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27,465
Is bess so out of form we are going with one spinner? And that one had his career ended the other day. Tough gig.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:35.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org