Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > England
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th May 2015, 22:18   #161
Aidan11
Harmisonesque
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere cold and wet
Posts: 40,111
The question now is will Strauss last longer than Downton?

Talk about bravery. Telling KP to get stuffed on the very day he hit 300+.
Aidan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 22:26   #162
draexem
County Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 981
Telling Pietersen to get stuffed is viable only if they show they can win without him. Strauss has now left himself open, refusing to consider a batsman who's scoring plenty of runs on the basis of personal feelings, or feelings he would destabilise the dressing room. Let's deal with the destabilisation first.

Alastair Cook, through his woeful captaining, has now seen off 2 Coaches, a host of management, Downton, and some high-ranking others, one would argue you can't be a more destabilising influence than that. You don't have to be a dick to cause havoc, as Cook has shown you merely have to be incompetent.

So this excuse doesn't wash. The next issue is the failure to consider credible alternatives, and with the team losing and losing so badly they chucked in a mentally broken man to open the batting order, this smacks of unprofessional and cliquey behaviour.

The public are fed up with this Public School Boy "you must tow the line or you're out on your ear" routine. Strauss is now tied with Cook and both of them may be gone by the end of the ASHES.

Of course they can save their jobs by merely winning...
draexem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 22:29   #163
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 20,960
Or Strauss said "you can't expect to write a book slating the team, take the money and then hope for a recall"

Sorry can't buy trust.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 22:30   #164
draexem
County Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
Or Strauss said "you can't expect to write a book slating the team, take the money and then hope for a recall"

Sorry can't buy trust.
Australia's current Treasurer wrote a book slating his Political Party, and lookie lookie he's still Treasurer.

So yeah, it can happen, but no it won't happen with Cook. He's too much of a pussy to control anyone who speaks out.
draexem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 22:35   #165
Aidan11
Harmisonesque
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere cold and wet
Posts: 40,111
Whatever KP has done it surely can't be worse than someone who called an ex-team mate a c*** live on air. And HE is now in the cosy Gentleman's Club they call the ECB.
Aidan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 22:35   #166
YAMS
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,352
Did Pops get banned?
YAMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 22:37   #167
draexem
County Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan11 View Post
Whatever KP has done it surely can't be worse than someone who called an ex-team mate a c*** live on air. And HE is now in the cosy Gentleman's Club they call the ECB.
Well, they wanted someone who doesn't want Pietersen, I think the Public sees through that. They also see he's someone with baggage and not exactly a person with an objective view on matters.
draexem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 22:45   #168
Biju
County Pro
 
Biju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chennai
Team(s): India
Posts: 746
Send a message via Skype™ to Biju
Quote:
Originally Posted by draexem View Post
Well, they wanted someone who doesn't want Pietersen, I think the Public sees through that. They also see he's someone with baggage and not exactly a person with an objective view on matters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan11 View Post
Whatever KP has done it surely can't be worse than someone who called an ex-team mate a c*** live on air. And HE is now in the cosy Gentleman's Club they call the ECB.
Was hoping to see KP back in england team. Never seen a pathetic clowns like ECB, even the worst BCCI[our board] respects talent.
__________________
Quote:
If you want the truth, i will tell you the truth, Listen for the secret sound, the real sound, which is inside you.
Biju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 22:47   #169
Psyduck
Posting God
 
Psyduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester
Team(s): England, Lancashire, Man Utd
Posts: 16,259
History is repeating itself. England's next coach will be told he won't have a full complement of players to pick from. I can't see the likes of Gillespie and Langer settling for that so it looks like Farbrace will get the gig, only to be sacked after England get taken to the cleaners in the Ashes.
Psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 22:48   #170
draexem
County Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 981
Can we add Strauss' name to the Valar Morghulis thread?

And maybe a placeholder name for whoever gets chosen as new coach.
draexem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 22:49   #171
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 28,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by D/L View Post
Seriously for a minute (unlike how we may view a recall for Pietersen), Strauss will have to be careful what he says to avoid saying something derogatory about the standard of bowling in the 2nd division.

The question is bound to be asked. We've seen already how the matter generates far more interest than it should and the media won't miss a chance to stir it all up again.
The world's best batsman scored 36 against that attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan11 View Post
Good luckbye Strauss
FTFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by draexem View Post
Well, they wanted someone who doesn't want Pietersen, I think the Public sees through that. They also see he's someone with baggage and not exactly a person with an objective view on matters.
And obviously someone who doesn't have England winning as a priority.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 22:52   #172
Aidan11
Harmisonesque
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere cold and wet
Posts: 40,111
I'm normally the most placid man on earth but now I find myself looking up "Assassins" in the Yellow Pages.
Aidan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 22:54   #173
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 20,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by draexem View Post
Australia's current Treasurer wrote a book slating his Political Party, and lookie lookie he's still Treasurer.

So yeah, it can happen, but no it won't happen with Cook. He's too much of a pussy to control anyone who speaks out.
I don't quite get the pussy line. He could have taken the easy route and picked him. He stuck to his guns knowing the flak coming. How is that being a pussy.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 22:55   #174
Biju
County Pro
 
Biju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chennai
Team(s): India
Posts: 746
Send a message via Skype™ to Biju
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyduck View Post
History is repeating itself. England's next coach will be told he won't have a full complement of players to pick from. I can't see the likes of Gillespie and Langer settling for that so it looks like Farbrace will get the gig, only to be sacked after England get taken to the cleaners in the Ashes.
Perfect!!! No respect for people who view the game, some clowns sitting at top decide who to play and whom not.
__________________
Quote:
If you want the truth, i will tell you the truth, Listen for the secret sound, the real sound, which is inside you.
Biju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 22:58   #175
rd_se3
County Pro
 
rd_se3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Blackheath
Team(s): England, Surrey, Ipswich Town
Posts: 739
Well it looks like it's game over judging by the cricket writers on twitter and their chatter. Best comment I saw was from Peter Miller "Ask yourselves if Michael Clarke would rather KP was in the England team or not. With that you have your answer".

I wasn't in either camp but I'm actually quite deflated to see that no olive branch has been extended. Maybe one attempt as "reassimilation" or whatever it was one too many, but you accommodate your best players. I'm sure Boycott and Botham were s0ds to have in the dressing room as well, but you put up with them.
rd_se3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 22:58   #176
rd_se3
County Pro
 
rd_se3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Blackheath
Team(s): England, Surrey, Ipswich Town
Posts: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biju View Post
Perfect!!! No respect for people who view the game, some clowns sitting at top decide who to play and whom not.
It's all a bit masonic isn't it.
rd_se3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 22:59   #177
draexem
County Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
I don't quite get the pussy line. He could have taken the easy route and picked him. He stuck to his guns knowing the flak coming. How is that being a pussy.
Was talking about Cook.
draexem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 23:00   #178
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 28,199
If England don't win the Ashes now Strauss' position is untenable.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 23:03   #179
Breacan
International Material
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd_se3 View Post
Best comment I saw was from Peter Miller "Ask yourselves if Michael Clarke would rather KP was in the England team or not. With that you have your answer".


All too often that is ignored. "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - Napoleon
__________________
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.
Breacan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 23:21   #180
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 20,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breacan View Post


All too often that is ignored. "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - Napoleon
Who won Waterloo?

Sir Virgs and Zamora is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:53.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org