Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > The Kim Jones Domestic Cricket Forum
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th August 2019, 01:25   #2481
Prince of Denmark
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bermondsey
Team(s): Surrey CCC, Dulwich Hamlet FC, England
Age: 53
Posts: 2,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Haseeb Hameed has been left out of the Lancashire squad for the Glamorgan championship game starting tomorrow, after scoring 159* for the seconds this week.

Allott has presumably shown him the door.
I thought Allott was bang out of order publicly suggesting he was on borrowed time at the start of the season. If this is the case I'm sure he'll have a choice of other counties willing to have a go at coaxing him to fulfil the promise that got him picked for the Bangladesh/India tour three years ago. He still can't be older than 22.
Prince of Denmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2019, 12:33   #2482
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 29,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Haseeb Hameed has been left out of the Lancashire squad for the Glamorgan championship game starting tomorrow, after scoring 159* for the seconds this week.

Allott has presumably shown him the door.
I expect counties will be queuing up to take a chance on him.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2019, 12:38   #2483
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 11,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
I expect counties will be queuing up to take a chance on him.
I'd still take him as England opener tbh
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2019, 13:37   #2484
Fred
International Material
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
I expect counties will be queuing up to take a chance on him.
Yorkshire is the rumour.

Interesting that he scored 200+ on the first game of the season against the students (non first class), 100 at Lord's in the first innings of the initial first class match .... then just one half century in 9 games (often only batting once) until last week's 159* when playing in his first second XI red ball game.

He clearly still has the determination and concentration to do it, from time to time. Has more or less matched Jennings this year, discounting the student double ton, but of course Jennings is in the middle of a four year contract to 2021: so some time to go before Allott publicly criticises him.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2019, 23:25   #2485
REDROSEFOREVER
Backyard Cricketer
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 72
I recently saw something in a book written by Len Hutton in the early fifties that could have been written about Hameed. Hutton said that when players are selected for the test side at a very early age and suffer a loss of form, they often struggle to rescue their career. When I first watched him, my first thought was “Boycott!” Obviously other people thought the same, but he had obvious talent and I can’t help thinking it was a case of too much too soon. Maybe a move would be the answer, maybe some mentoring by Geoffrey himself! I really hope he can fulfil that potential.
REDROSEFOREVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2019, 23:51   #2486
square leg umpire
Legendary
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 9,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDROSEFOREVER View Post
I recently saw something in a book written by Len Hutton in the early fifties that could have been written about Hameed. Hutton said that when players are selected for the test side at a very early age and suffer a loss of form, they often struggle to rescue their career. When I first watched him, my first thought was “Boycott!” Obviously other people thought the same, but he had obvious talent and I can’t help thinking it was a case of too much too soon. Maybe a move would be the answer, maybe some mentoring by Geoffrey himself! I really hope he can fulfil that potential.
A case in point Brian Close was selected for England at 18 and he said it was the worst thing that happened to him.
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2019, 13:43   #2487
Fred
International Material
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,563
Luke Wood joins Lancashire on three year deal from 2020

How often do sides sign a player who impresses them when playing against them?

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...ision-two-2019

Or entirely coincidental?
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2019, 13:41   #2488
Minor Maggie
Buttleresque
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Lancashire, England
Posts: 26,807
Lancs have released Hameed. I hope he finds a new county and gets back to scoring runs again.
Minor Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2019, 13:46   #2489
Fred
International Material
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor Maggie View Post
Lancs have released Hameed. I hope he finds a new county and gets back to scoring runs again.
Hope so too.

Over a hundred below the line comments on the tweet announcing this, including fans from most other counties hoping he will sign for their club.

https://mobile.twitter.com/lancscric...62723257188352

Last edited by Fred : 23rd August 2019 at 14:03.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2019, 14:29   #2490
paulsre
World Class
 
paulsre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In a class 101 Met Cam time machine to the past
Team(s): Stockholm Taverners CC, Farsta BCCE, County cricket, MCCU cricket, England, Scarborough CC
Posts: 6,748
Certainly an extremely strange case. I certainly can't recall another player playing Test cricket and then finding himself out of a job at 22.
paulsre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2019, 15:03   #2491
Prince of Denmark
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bermondsey
Team(s): Surrey CCC, Dulwich Hamlet FC, England
Age: 53
Posts: 2,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsre View Post
Certainly an extremely strange case. I certainly can't recall another player playing Test cricket and then finding himself out of a job at 22.
Mark Lathwell is the closest example off the top of my head, but I'm sure he continued with Somerset at least into his late twenties.

Mason Crane hasn't exactly flourished since his sole Test appearance at a similar age.
Prince of Denmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2019, 16:00   #2492
Fred
International Material
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,563
Ifs and Buts and Maybes:

Hameed has scored the same number of hundreds (and double hundreds) for the Lancashire first team this year as Vilas. Had the students game been first class (all other county games against Loughborough were granted that status) he would have been their third highest first class run scorer this year behind Vilas and Jones (who also scored a hundred in that match) and he would have averaged 43.00 this season.

The club would have difficulty axing him with those stats.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2019, 16:10   #2493
Aidan11
Harmisonesque
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere cold and wet
Posts: 41,644
I get the impression Paul Allott wasn't his biggest fan. He was pretty scathing about his form before the season got under way.
Aidan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2019, 17:01   #2494
tony p
County 2nd Team
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan11 View Post
I get the impression Paul Allott wasn't his biggest fan. He was pretty scathing about his form before the season got under way.
i get the impression that many lanc. supporters aren't the biggest fans of paul allott either.

i'm sure there will be 17 counties prepared to take a young former england opener on to there books.
as they say, form is temporary, class is permanent.
tony p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2019, 22:19   #2495
REDROSEFOREVER
Backyard Cricketer
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 72
Lancs deservedly qualified for the T20 quarter-finals topping their group, which should earn them a home tie ? NO!! Guess what - the quarter-finals co-incide with the Old Trafford Test. Apparently the only available option is to play at Durham!! Some ‘home’ tie !! Obviously the World Cup crowded the fixture list, but cricket’s administration does leave something to be desired sometimes. What’s going to happen with the Hundred next year ?
REDROSEFOREVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2019, 22:25   #2496
Fred
International Material
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDROSEFOREVER View Post
Lancs deservedly qualified for the T20 quarter-finals topping their group, which should earn them a home tie ? NO!! Guess what - the quarter-finals co-incide with the Old Trafford Test. Apparently the only available option is to play at Durham!! Some ‘home’ tie !! Obviously the World Cup crowded the fixture list, but cricket’s administration does leave something to be desired sometimes. What’s going to happen with the Hundred next year ?
Not sure it was the only available option, it was their preferred option. Think about it, in their language, the game is switched from Emirates Old Trafford to Emirates Riverside.

The big question is whether, having created this mess, the ECB and Sky will allow the game to be played on Saturday. Midweek travel will almost certainly ensure an empty ground.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2019, 11:01   #2497
Minor Maggie
Buttleresque
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Lancashire, England
Posts: 26,807
No Hameed in the Lancs 2nd XI squad. Does that mean he will be joining another county at the end of this season?
Minor Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2019, 11:07   #2498
square leg umpire
Legendary
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 9,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor Maggie View Post
No Hameed in the Lancs 2nd XI squad. Does that mean he will be joining another county at the end of this season?
Read that he has officially been released.
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2019, 13:37   #2499
paulsre
World Class
 
paulsre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In a class 101 Met Cam time machine to the past
Team(s): Stockholm Taverners CC, Farsta BCCE, County cricket, MCCU cricket, England, Scarborough CC
Posts: 6,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Not sure it was the only available option, it was their preferred option. Think about it, in their language, the game is switched from Emirates Old Trafford to Emirates Riverside.

The big question is whether, having created this mess, the ECB and Sky will allow the game to be played on Saturday. Midweek travel will almost certainly ensure an empty ground.
Chester-le-Street is a challenge to get to/from without a car - using the train suggests getting back to Manchester at 3.41am. The Saturday game is also slated to be a 6.30pm start.

Can't see that many Lancashire fans making it - basically the same number who would attend a Durham - Lancs group game, maybe a few more (obviously any Lancashire fans living in Newcastle or Durham will think Christmas has come early).

Will be interesting to see what, if any, effort Durham put in to getting locals to come along. They should make it £5 and kids for a quid, etc., and advertise it as a great chance to come along and enjoy a T20 match. Whether they will do anything like that remains to be seen.
paulsre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2019, 13:46   #2500
Aidan11
Harmisonesque
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere cold and wet
Posts: 41,644
CLS is a ball ache to travel to. Even for local fans.
Aidan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:30.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© Cricket247.org