Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > Ex-International Player Forum
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th May 2016, 12:46   #2441
CDogg16
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 4,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
You've changed your tune on this...?
It just seems daft having players like Bopara and Bell in it and then leaving ones like Vaughan and Hoggard in the England one.
CDogg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2016, 23:10   #2442
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDogg16 View Post
It just seems daft having players like Bopara and Bell in it and then leaving ones like Vaughan and Hoggard in the England one.
I don't think it was ever a priority.

By the way, could some remind me of Bell's record at winning the toss, please?
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2016, 12:46   #2443
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 28,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
I don't think it was ever a priority.

By the way, could some remind me of Bell's record at winning the toss, please?

His first class record as captain:

Lost toss
Lost toss
Lost toss
Lost toss
Won toss and batted. Team out for 382
Lost toss
Won toss and batted. Team made out for 453 (opposition then made 421/7 in a rain shortened match)
Won toss and batted. Team out for 87
Lost toss
Lost toss
Lost toss
Lost toss
Won toss and elected to field. Opposition made 444.
No toss
No toss and elected to field. Opposition 405/6.
Lost toss

Not just a useless tosser but useless decision maker as well. No wonder the England camp were briefing the media against him as England captain.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2016, 18:01   #2444
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 21,281
Bell been off since tea with a hamstring twinge.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2016, 21:21   #2445
Psyduck
Posting God
 
Psyduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester
Team(s): England, Lancashire, Man Utd
Posts: 16,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
Bell been off since tea with a hamstring twinge.
Ah, I see. When I saw the scorecard I assumed he had sent first Boyd Rankin and then Jonathan Trott in to do his job for him.
Psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2016, 21:47   #2446
Rey
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Castleford
Team(s): Yorkshire
Posts: 14,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyduck View Post
Ah, I see. When I saw the scorecard I assumed he had sent first Boyd Rankin and then Jonathan Trott in to do his job for him.
I saw a report that said he was okay to bat.

Warks had Rankin bat as 3 as nightwatchman, but then had Trott come in at 4 anyway.
I can understand the logic of a nightwatchman - but if the nightwatchman gets out, shouldn't you just send in another? If the theory is that you're protecting the proper batsman from a combination of the new ball and fading light for a short session, nothing's changed if the first lower order player sent in is dismissed.
__________________
"He has sat on the fence so long that the iron has entered his soul."
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2016, 22:29   #2447
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 42,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyduck View Post
Ah, I see. When I saw the scorecard I assumed he had sent first Boyd Rankin and then Jonathan Trott in to do his job for him.
Well of course you would, wouldn't you. Or more likely you just like the idea of Bell being a wimp.
__________________
As balanced and focused as the next man
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2016, 22:37   #2448
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 42,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I saw a report that said he was okay to bat.
He might be OK to bat but wasn't allowed to because of the length of time he spent off the field. being off the field.
__________________
As balanced and focused as the next man
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2016, 23:00   #2449
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 28,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer View Post
Well of course you would, wouldn't you. Or more likely you just like the idea of Bell being a wimp.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2016, 23:01   #2450
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 28,319
His first class record as captain:

Lost toss
Lost toss
Lost toss
Lost toss
Won toss and batted. Team out for 382
Lost toss
Won toss and batted. Team made out for 453 (opposition then made 421/7 in a rain shortened match)
Won toss and batted. Team out for 87
Lost toss
Lost toss
Lost toss
Lost toss
Won toss and elected to field. Opposition made 444.
No toss
No toss and elected to field. Opposition 405/6.
Lost toss
Lost toss
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 00:27   #2451
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 42,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
His first class record as captain:

Lost toss
Lost toss
Lost toss
Lost toss
Won toss and batted. Team out for 382
Lost toss
Won toss and batted. Team made out for 453 (opposition then made 421/7 in a rain shortened match)
Won toss and batted. Team out for 87
Lost toss
Lost toss
Lost toss
Lost toss
Won toss and elected to field. Opposition made 444.
No toss
No toss and elected to field. Opposition 405/6.
Lost toss
Lost toss
You keep posting the same thing day after day. You must be desperate to prove something, I'm not sure what. It's my understanding that it's the result that counts, not the toss. However, since you have gone to all this trouble ...

16 completed matches. Bell's teams won 5, drew 7, lost 4.

Lost toss & lost game: 2; Lost toss & won game: 3; won toss & lost game: 2.

Warwickshire suffered a heavy defeat in the match you mention where Yorks made 444. However, in the recent drawn matches where Warwickshire have not had the opportunity to bat first - no toss or lost toss - Warwickshire have overhauled the opposition's big 1st inns totals, plus managing to achieve more batting points, but weather has prevented results. Bell has also faced the champions, Yorkshire, twice this year, his MCC team beating them by 4 wickets despite losing the toss, and Warwickshire enjoying the better of a high-scoring draw.

Perhaps you should stick to the deathwatch list.
__________________
As balanced and focused as the next man
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 08:39   #2452
CDogg16
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 4,000
Bell has never been involved in any misdemeanours off the field, has always made himself available for England and has been involved in some of the most successful England teams playing, playing a key part in successes. Its sad that some people have a strange obsession with him and seem desperate to see him underperform. An unfortunate inditement of the Internet age, where people find it necessary to post comments they wouldn't dream of saying to a camera, all to try and wind up another poster who actually seems to support England players and try to mock a player who has played over 100 tests for England. Maybe it is jealously that Bell has had an successful career doing something they didn't have the ability to do.
CDogg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 18:14   #2453
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDogg16 View Post
Bell has never been involved in any misdemeanours off the field, has always made himself available for England and has been involved in some of the most successful England teams playing, playing a key part in successes. Its sad that some people have a strange obsession with him and seem desperate to see him underperform. An unfortunate inditement of the Internet age, where people find it necessary to post comments they wouldn't dream of saying to a camera, all to try and wind up another poster who actually seems to support England players and try to mock a player who has played over 100 tests for England. Maybe it is jealously that Bell has had an successful career doing something they didn't have the ability to do.
While some of the WUMming is getting a little puerile, Michelle has hardly been supportive of all England players. In fact she's been pretty vitriolic about a couple over recent years and mostly about off-field stuff rather than on-field performance.

Everyone seems to have their likes and dislikes, even in the teams they support. The IPL thread seems to only exist to mock English players whenever they have a bad game and Root is probably the only England player unanimously liked on this board currently.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 18:29   #2454
Zebroston Chase
Not Lara or Chanderpaul but the best you've got
 
Zebroston Chase's Avatar
When Hope is gone, I will appear.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Glasgow
Team(s): AFC Hornchurch, Essex, England
Age: 34
Posts: 18,509
I hate Root. He's like a less funny Swann.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Druid Nathan Barley View Post
I'm fully aware of his thinking, which merely underlines the point that he's an idiot.
Zebroston Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 18:34   #2455
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Fried McZebra View Post
I hate Root. He's like a less funny Swann.
I guess he is a bit of a smug ****
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 18:41   #2456
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 28,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer View Post
You keep posting the same thing day after day.
I'm not posting the same thing; I updated it after he lost another toss. It's a noteworthy record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Fried McZebra View Post
I hate Root. He's like a less funny Swann.
But you like the adverts right?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 15:58   #2457
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 42,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
While some of the WUMming is getting a little puerile, Michelle has hardly been supportive of all England players. In fact she's been pretty vitriolic about a couple over recent years and mostly about off-field stuff rather than on-field performance.

Everyone seems to have their likes and dislikes, even in the teams they support. The IPL thread seems to only exist to mock English players whenever they have a bad game and Root is probably the only England player unanimously liked on this board currently.
When KP was at his best I applauded his performances. When he was made England captain I was initially very impressed by his enthusiastic approach, and you can find my posts on the subject back in the archives. Although I always thought he was a bit odd as a person (perhaps due to that spectrum that some commentators have more recently suggested he might be on) I didn't dislike him BUT his betrayal of Strauss in texting SA players was inexcusable and unforgivable. He was dropped and it would have been better for all concerned if he'd never been recalled. It's hard not to take issue with people who sweep his treachery under the carpet just because he's a very good batsman and, for them, the best batsman they've ever seen and the best player in the world ever.

There are a few players I didn't or don't like. It's surely the case that not everyone can like all the decent players in your team. But some of you on this forum find it amazing that such a thing is possible. I don't believe you. I admit to disliking Eoin Morgan, much more than Pietersen, and I can't help this. But he's really not a great, nor even that good most of the time so I don't know why my attitude is upsetting. For Morgan, btw, there is no off-field stuff to talk about.

I think what CDogg is referring to is the wumming of posters on here by targeting their favourites, posting detrimental comments and constantly looking for evidence of underperformance. When you can hardly criticise current performance, why not look for something else to find fault with, however irrelevant. I don't do this, so please don't include me as a wummer.
__________________
As balanced and focused as the next man
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 16:05   #2458
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 42,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Fried McZebra View Post
I hate Root. He's like a less funny Swann.
I don't hate Root, but would like him a lot more if the pundits, particularly Athers and Nasser, weren't infatuated with him. I thought those crushes would have worn off by now but their constant melting at the sight of his lovely smile indicates that the infatuation continues.

I think maybe I like a bit of grumpiness.
__________________
As balanced and focused as the next man
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 16:24   #2459
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 28,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer View Post
When KP was at his best I applauded his performances. When he was made England captain I was initially very impressed by his enthusiastic approach, and you can find my posts on the subject back in the archives. Although I always thought he was a bit odd as a person (perhaps due to that spectrum that some commentators have more recently suggested he might be on) I didn't dislike him BUT his betrayal of Strauss in texting SA players was inexcusable and unforgivable.
Is talking to opponents now treason or are you still peddling the now disproved line that he told them how to get him out?


Quote:
He was dropped and it would have been better for all concerned if he'd never been recalled.
It'd have been better if we hadn't have won in India?


Quote:
It's hard not to take issue with people who sweep his treachery under the carpet just because he's a very good batsman and, for them, the best batsman they've ever seen and the best player in the world ever.

There are a few players I didn't or don't like. It's surely the case that not everyone can like all the decent players in your team. But some of you on this forum find it amazing that such a thing is possible. I don't believe you. I admit to disliking Eoin Morgan, much more than Pietersen, and I can't help this. But he's really not a great, nor even that good most of the time so I don't know why my attitude is upsetting. For Morgan, btw, there is no off-field stuff to talk about.

I think what CDogg is referring to is the wumming of posters on here by targeting their favourites, posting detrimental comments and constantly looking for evidence of underperformance. When you can hardly criticise current performance, why not look for something else to find fault with, however irrelevant. I don't do this, so please don't include me as a wummer.
I certainly don't consider you to be a wummer (certainly compared to CDogg), but Ali was entirely justified to point out the double standards.

Hopefully this grumpiness will endear me to you.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 16:32   #2460
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 42,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
Is talking to opponents now treason or are you still peddling the now disproved line that he told them how to get him out?

It'd have been better if we hadn't have won in India?

I certainly don't consider you to be a wummer (certainly compared to CDogg), but Ali was entirely justified to point out the double standards.

Hopefully this grumpiness will endear me to you.
You never know.
__________________
As balanced and focused as the next man
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:37.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org