Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > England
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th January 2014, 10:02   #1
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,697
The Future is Bright, the future is ginger: official Ben Stokes thread

Got a weird kink in his run up, feel this might lose him some momentum at the crease. Needs coaching out, methinks.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2014, 11:05   #2
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 23,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Got a weird kink in his run up, feel this might lose him some momentum at the crease. Needs coaching out, methinks.
It's unreasonable to expect him to be the finished article with either bat or ball. He's only in his first few months of international cricket despite being picked before his time for ODIs a couple of years ago for a couple of games here and there. Lets hope whatever coaching he does receive doesn't send him backwards like some of his colleagues appear to have done.
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2014, 23:43   #3
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 41,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
It's unreasonable to expect him to be the finished article with either bat or ball. He's only in his first few months of international cricket despite being picked before his time for ODIs a couple of years ago for a couple of games here and there. Lets hope whatever coaching he does receive doesn't send him backwards like some of his colleagues appear to have done.
Exactly what I was thinking. He was the only bright spot in the Ashes and as a result England are using him as if he is an experienced senior player. Giving him too many overs to bowl and promoting him to #3.

There has been an over-reaction to new players doing well at the beginning of their England careers. High praise from coach and captain, too much hype in the media. Look what's happened to Root; over-promoted and ultimately dropped, although in his case possibly only temporarily. They mustn't ruin Stokes as well.
__________________
As balanced and focused as the next man
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 09:13   #4
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 23,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer View Post
Exactly what I was thinking. He was the only bright spot in the Ashes and as a result England are using him as if he is an experienced senior player. Giving him too many overs to bowl and promoting him to #3.

There has been an over-reaction to new players doing well at the beginning of their England careers. High praise from coach and captain, too much hype in the media. Look what's happened to Root; over-promoted and ultimately dropped, although in his case possibly only temporarily. They mustn't ruin Stokes as well.
I don't blame the media for what has happened to Root, that is ridiculous. What I do blame is the way England have used him in the last few months or so. He's shown fatigue given that he's barely missed a mtach and has of course been shunted around at the wrong times. That is the fault of the England management.

Stokes shouldn't have been bowling at the death nor been at no.3. That was muddled thinking too.
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 13:04   #5
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 27,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
I don't blame the media for what has happened to Root, that is ridiculous. What I do blame is the way England have used him in the last few months or so. He's shown fatigue given that he's barely missed a mtach and has of course been shunted around at the wrong times. That is the fault of the England management.

Stokes shouldn't have been bowling at the death nor been at no.3. That was muddled thinking too.
Was it? England are trying to develop him for the next world cup.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 14:31   #6
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 41,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
I don't blame the media for what has happened to Root, that is ridiculous. What I do blame is the way England have used him in the last few months or so. He's shown fatigue given that he's barely missed a mtach and has of course been shunted around at the wrong times. That is the fault of the England management.

Stokes shouldn't have been bowling at the death nor been at no.3. That was muddled thinking too.
I'm not blaming the media but the management for seemingly being influenced by the media hype.
__________________
As balanced and focused as the next man
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2014, 22:19   #7
Minor Maggie
Buttleresque
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Lancashire, England
Posts: 26,678
An adopted Cumbrian gets his own thread. Excellent!
Minor Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 13:24   #8
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,697
Its a tough one for Stokes. I don't think he justifies a place currently, and England's side are weaker for his presence. But England are clearly banking on him for the future, so he needs as many opportunities as possible. I'd rather Bopara was moved up to 3, or we drop Cook and bring in someone else with some more re-jiggling. As stated elsewhere, we have plenty of batsmen for the mid-order, but not enough to play in the top-order, which leaves us with this awkward situation of jumping Stokes up and down.

However, he's not likely to ever bat at 3 in a major tournament for England, so putting him there yesterday was just weird.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 13:55   #9
JG_
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sheffield
Team(s): Yorkshire, England
Posts: 2,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Its a tough one for Stokes. I don't think he justifies a place currently, and England's side are weaker for his presence. But England are clearly banking on him for the future, so he needs as many opportunities as possible. I'd rather Bopara was moved up to 3, or we drop Cook and bring in someone else with some more re-jiggling. As stated elsewhere, we have plenty of batsmen for the mid-order, but not enough to play in the top-order, which leaves us with this awkward situation of jumping Stokes up and down.

However, he's not likely to ever bat at 3 in a major tournament for England, so putting him there yesterday was just weird.
I agree with your point, but I wouldn't move Bopara, he's one whose career has been badly affected by constantly being moved up and down but now he seems to have finally settled into a role and is doing it well. Leave him there.

England in general don't seem to have a clue where they're going with regards one-day cricket at the moment. The reaction to Trott not being available for this series is a good example; instead of simply bringing Carberry in to open and moving Bell from 2 to 3, we decide that moving Root up to 3, bringing in an extra batsman in Ballance at 4 and then dropping our spinner is the best solution. Does anyone really think we should go into the World Cup with Root as the lone spinner? No, so why are we doing it now?
JG_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 15:31   #10
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 27,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG_ View Post
I agree with your point, but I wouldn't move Bopara, he's one whose career has been badly affected by constantly being moved up and down but now he seems to have finally settled into a role and is doing it well. Leave him there.

England in general don't seem to have a clue where they're going with regards one-day cricket at the moment. The reaction to Trott not being available for this series is a good example; instead of simply bringing Carberry in to open and moving Bell from 2 to 3, we decide that moving Root up to 3, bringing in an extra batsman in Ballance at 4 and then dropping our spinner is the best solution. Does anyone really think we should go into the World Cup with Root as the lone spinner? No, so why are we doing it now?
So that he can be a 6th bowling option in the world cup because there may be games when it turns out we want spin both ends for a stint in the middle overs and he needs to bowl 6 overs.

He needs the experience of bowling more than Tredwell and now he's in the test side (well he was) he's not going to get it at Yorkshire.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2014, 16:16   #11
sanskritsimon
Legendary
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 9,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
So that he can be a 6th bowling option in the world cup because there may be games when it turns out we want spin both ends for a stint in the middle overs and he needs to bowl 6 overs.

He needs the experience of bowling more than Tredwell and now he's in the test side (well he was) he's not going to get it at Yorkshire.
I don't think that's why Tredwell wasn't playing.

In the scenario you paint, England would be far better off picking a second specialist spinner instead of one of their seamers. He's going to be a whole lot better than Root, regardless of how much bowling Root does for England between now and the world cup.
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2014, 16:35   #12
JG_
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sheffield
Team(s): Yorkshire, England
Posts: 2,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
So that he can be a 6th bowling option in the world cup because there may be games when it turns out we want spin both ends for a stint in the middle overs and he needs to bowl 6 overs.

He needs the experience of bowling more than Tredwell and now he's in the test side (well he was) he's not going to get it at Yorkshire.
Missed this at the time, sorry- I don't buy it anyway, based on recent events I don't think England are capable of such long-term planning. And anyway it's a ******** reason, I would say having players play in their usual roles and actually trying to give yourself the best shot of winning games would be a better preparation for the WC.
JG_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2014, 16:59   #13
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 27,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanskritsimon View Post
I don't think that's why Tredwell wasn't playing.

In the scenario you paint, England would be far better off picking a second specialist spinner instead of one of their seamers. He's going to be a whole lot better than Root, regardless of how much bowling Root does for England between now and the world cup.
You'd pick a specialist bowler who is only going to bowl 6 overs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG_ View Post
Missed this at the time, sorry- I don't buy it anyway, based on recent events I don't think England are capable of such long-term planning. And anyway it's a ******** reason, I would say having players play in their usual roles and actually trying to give yourself the best shot of winning games would be a better preparation for the WC.
Of course England are capable of long-term planning. Look at the Lions, look at someone like Stokes and how they deliberately toured in Oz the year before the Ashes so he could get experience of playing down there.

Long term plans may not always come off and may change, but England want to know what they've got with Root and whether he can be a viable 6th bowling option.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 13:15   #14
JG_
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sheffield
Team(s): Yorkshire, England
Posts: 2,067
I do think that Tredwell is getting close to the point of being worked out, by the Australians at least, but going in without a frontline spinner is not a sustainable strategy. Briggs is in the squad as well, of course.
JG_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2016, 01:22   #15
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 795 Wagner 118 TCurran 7 SCurran 0 Cummins 101
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,230
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/680..._campaign=2016
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 10:52   #16
oldandfat
County Pro
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 713
OK, I admit it. I was (and possibly still am) not totally convinced that he is a genuine Test/International allrounder. But the bloke keeps delivering - play him as a frontline ODI bowler (home ODI's) and he stands up, a Test number 6 and he scores a ton, Test seemer and he takes a six for, now bat him at 3 in ODI and he scores 70. So what the hell do I know? Long may it continue.
oldandfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 13:30   #17
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,697
...and takes 4fer too. Good day for him today.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2015, 15:50   #18
CDogg16
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 4,000
With the majority of people agreeing that Stokes should be in the ODI side due to the way he plays the game, would you include him in the squad for the match against Ireland regardless if he plays against the West Indies.

For me, at this stage in his career he is most valuable to England in the one day game and the more matches he plays now will help England in the long run.
CDogg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2015, 18:59   #19
D/L
World Class
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 6,611
Surely, all players get selected on the basis of the way they play the game.

He's still worth a punt but I doubt we'll ever see the superstardom that many predicted for him.
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2015, 19:38   #20
CDogg16
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 4,000
His best format is one day cricket but he won't be able to play in the first game of a new era because he playing Test cricket in the Caribbean, a format he has not yet excelled in. After the WC I thought we were taking ODI cricket more seriously.
CDogg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:12.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org