Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th April 2016, 19:25   #1
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 795 Wagner 118 TCurran 7 SCurran 0 Cummins 101
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,230
Sri Lanka in England

SRI LANKA TEST SQUAD

Angelo Mathews (captain), Dhananjaya de Silva, Dasun Shanaka, Dhammika Prasad, Dilruwan Perera, Dimuth Karunaratne, Dinesh Chandimal (vice-captain), Dushmantha Chameera, Kaushal Silva, Kusal Mendis, Lahiru Thirimanne, Milinda Siriwardana, Niroshan Dickwella, Nuwan Pradeep, Rangana Herath, Shaminda Eranga, Suranga Lakmal.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2016, 19:36   #2
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 27,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
SRI LANKA TEST SQUAD

Angelo Mathews (captain), Dhananjaya de Silva, Dasun Shanaka, Dhammika Prasad, Dilruwan Perera, Dimuth Karunaratne, Dinesh Chandimal (vice-captain), Dushmantha Chameera, Kaushal Silva, Kusal Mendis, Lahiru Thirimanne, Milinda Siriwardana, Niroshan Dickwella, Nuwan Pradeep, Rangana Herath, Shaminda Eranga, Suranga Lakmal.
Why are Sri Lanka touring so soon again?

Good news for our ranking points though that we can undo the Peter Moores damage.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2016, 20:00   #3
Corbo 60
Posting God
 
Corbo 60's Avatar
'Blue Blistering Barnacles.'
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In Limbo.
Team(s): Norwich City Kent CCC
Posts: 11,641
I thought that last time and they won...never an easy one. Good test side.
__________________
I was dreaming I was awake, then I woke up and found I was asleep.
Corbo 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2016, 13:06   #4
blackeyedangles
County 1st Team
 
blackeyedangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 410
They are minus Sangakkara and Jayawardene, and England have improved since last time...
blackeyedangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2016, 14:19   #5
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 795 Wagner 118 TCurran 7 SCurran 0 Cummins 101
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,230
Experience
67 Tests - 297 at 29.87 - Herath (38)
56 Tests - 4015 at 50.18 - Mathews (28)
26 Tests - 54 wickets at 49.16 - Lakmal (29)
25 Tests - 1835 at 45.87 - Chandimal (26)
25 Tests - 1622 at 35.26 - Karunaratne (28)
25 Tests - 75 wickets at 35.97 - Prasad (32)
24 Tests - 1404 at 31.90 - Silva (29)
23 Tests - 969 at 24.84 - Thirimanne (26)
17 Tests - 42 wickets at 46.50 - Pradeep (29)
16 Tests - 52 wickets at 34.88 - Eranga (29)
9 Tests - 44 wickets at 29.56 - Perera (33)
4 Tests - 144 at 20.57 - Dickwella (22)
4 Tests - 18 wickets at 28.27 - Chameera (24)
4 Tests - 263 at 34.67/8 wickets at 23.12 - Sinwardana (30)
3 Tests - 183 at 30.50 - Mendis (21)
0 Tests - de Silva (24)
0 Tests - Shanaka (24)

Two batsmen in the top 20, Mathews 8 and Chandimal 20 and two bowlers Herath 11 and Prasad 16.

England have Root 2 and Cook 14 and bowlers Broad 1 Anderson 5 and Finn 19.

We have played 28 Tests against Sri Lanka. W10 D10 L8. Three of the losses occuring in England in 98, 06 and 14.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2016, 14:31   #6
CDogg16
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 4,000
The stars used to be Sangakkarra, Jayawardene and Murali. Now it's Matthews, Chandimal and Herath. We should win 3-0, weather permitting.
CDogg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2016, 15:50   #7
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 10,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDogg16 View Post
The stars used to be Sangakkarra, Jayawardene and Murali. Now it's Matthews, Chandimal and Herath. We should win 3-0, weather permitting.
Yes I have more confidence in this England side than the last one that farcically lost the series a couple of years ago. Sri Lanka do look a bit threadbare, though Mathews and Chandimal look like taking on Jayawardene and Sangakkara's mantle as the middle order linchpins, and I was impressed with Silva opening in English conditions last time. They at least have a quality quick bowler this time in Chameera.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2016, 16:26   #8
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 27,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
Yes I have more confidence in this England side than the last one that farcically lost the series a couple of years ago. Sri Lanka do look a bit threadbare, though Mathews and Chandimal look like taking on Jayawardene and Sangakkara's mantle as the middle order linchpins, and I was impressed with Silva opening in English conditions last time. They at least have a quality quick bowler this time in Chameera.
The issue isn't so much the loss of Jayawardene and Sangakkara - Mathews and Chandimal can step up and fill those spots - but of the loss of Mathews and Chandimal when they fill those spots.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2016, 17:46   #9
CDogg16
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 4,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
The issue isn't so much the loss of Jayawardene and Sangakkara - Mathews and Chandimal can step up and fill those spots - but of the loss of Mathews and Chandimal when they fill those spots.
I would say Matthews and Jayawardene both have the same importance to the team. I would say Jayawrdene was the better batsman, but obviously Matthews is a decent bowler. Chadimal is a decent batsmen, but Sanga would be a contender to get into an all time XI.
CDogg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2016, 18:19   #10
Psyduck
Posting God
 
Psyduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester
Team(s): England, Lancashire, Man Utd
Posts: 15,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
They at least have a quality quick bowler this time in Chameera.
I'm looking forward to seeing him bowl in England - I have been very impressed with what I have seen so far.
Psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 00:29   #11
blackeyedangles
County 1st Team
 
blackeyedangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyduck View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing him bowl in England - I have been very impressed with what I have seen so far.
He very nearly won one of the tests against NZ with a very spirited performance if I recall. Should be good to watch but I don't think he's anywhere near peaking yet
blackeyedangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 13:41   #12
Redmachine
International Material
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,146
No rain= 3-0 England
Redmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 14:17   #13
Rebelstar
International Material
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,556
Lightbulb

Sri Lanka without Murali would seem a toothless side, he played his last Test in July 2010, they've played 52 Tests since - P52 W14 D17 L21.

BUT bear in mind Murali won in his last Test and Sri Lanka then didn't win for FIFTEEN so whilst 14 wins in 52 Test may seem little special, 14 in their last 37 is a lot healthier.

Sure they'll find it hard (again) without Sangakarra and Jayawardene, but they've coped reasonably without Murali and other good Sri Lankan batsmen have retired through the years.

I thought it would be interesting to see how Sri Lanka were pre, during and post Murali era so split their record into that with the Murali era being (his) first and last Test not just those he played in.

Sri Lanka

Pre Murali : P38 W1 D16 L21 (Won 2.63%)
Murali era : P155 W60 D47 L48 (Won 38.71%)
Post Murali : P52 W14 D17 L21 (Won 26.92%)

Murali played 133 Tests, his influence is clear even if you believe his action was *insert your choice of word, possibilities including legal/illegal/controversial/suspect/whatever*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
Experience
67 Tests - 297 at 29.87 - Herath (38)
56 Tests - 4015 at 50.18 - Mathews (28)
26 Tests - 54 wickets at 49.16 - Lakmal (29)
25 Tests - 1835 at 45.87 - Chandimal (26)
25 Tests - 1622 at 35.26 - Karunaratne (28)
25 Tests - 75 wickets at 35.97 - Prasad (32)
24 Tests - 1404 at 31.90 - Silva (29)
23 Tests - 969 at 24.84 - Thirimanne (26)
I think with some of those you do need to look at where they performed, and indeed didn't

For example Herath may average 29.87 with ball, but 24.58 at home and 41.31 away and most importantly in 2011 and 2015 in England, 14 wkts @ 46.43 (did way better at home against England, no surprise)

Mathews averages just over 11 runs more at home than away (55.59 vs 44.51), still a very healthy average and 76.50 in England, over 50 in Sri Lanka.

Not a lot of point doing the rest in as much detail, not enough Tests, although Prasad's wickets cost 30.65 in Sri Lanka and 47.21 overseas.



I wouldn't back an England 3-0 win, at most I might expect a 2-0 win. Don't forget English weather, the ability to be really bad at times, and playing more than 1 Test vs Sri Lanka in England has resulted in at least 1 drawn match in the 4 series played - 2-0 (3 Tests), 1-1 (3 Tests), 1-0 (3 Tests) and 0-1 (2 Tests)

And overall no side has won all the Tests in a series, there have been 4 series in Sri Lanka and whilst 2 didn't have any draws they ended 2-1 to England (00/01 famous series) and 1-1 last time out (11/12)

In fact despite Sri Lanka playing quite a few one-off Tests against England, even after they became half decent, there have been as many draws as there have been wins by any one side ENG 10, SRL 8, DRAW 10.

Oh I just noticed a nice few stats to finish with, in the past 11 Tests between England and Sri Lanka going back to 2006, England have won just TWICE with Sri Lanka winning 4 and 5 draws. England last won in England in May 2011 and have are 1-2 down in the last SEVEN home Tests against Sri Lanka.
Rebelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 15:48   #14
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 5,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackeyedangles View Post
They are minus Sangakkara and Jayawardene, and England have improved since last time...
Not sure we can say that until our team is announced

2nd Test 2014:

Cook
Robson
Ballance
Bell
Root
Ali
Prior
Jordan
Broad
Plunkett
Anderson


As for missing the retirees - Mathews took a 5 fer and scored a match winning 160 before Prasad took 5/50.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 23:55   #15
cabinboy
Posting God
 
cabinboy's Avatar
Do Gooder
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 13,096
Even though we need a new number 2, 3 and 5 batsmen, lack a quality keeper or spinner, and have a melonhead as captain, I still reckon this series is England e to lose.
cabinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2016, 04:19   #16
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 795 Wagner 118 TCurran 7 SCurran 0 Cummins 101
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,230
Overs bowled so far, one more match for most of these players and then we are ready to go

113.0 Ball
91.0 Rashid
83.2 Finn
79.5 Stokes
74.5 Anderson
72.0 Plunkett
65.0 Woakes
54.0 Broad
42.0 Ali
0.00 Jordan
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2016, 09:31   #17
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 5,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
Overs bowled so far, one more match for most of these players and then we are ready to go

113.0 Ball
91.0 Rashid
83.2 Finn
79.5 Stokes
74.5 Anderson
72.0 Plunkett
65.0 Woakes
54.0 Broad
42.0 Ali
0.00 Jordan
No Ansari on your list ?
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2016, 10:59   #18
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 795 Wagner 118 TCurran 7 SCurran 0 Cummins 101
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
No Ansari on your list ?
70.1 Ansari

I had him on the injured list with Wood and Footitt but I read it's only bruising. Footitt is out for 2 months. I wonder if Ball has moved up the ladder to be the reserve and Footitt, our reserve bowler in SA, will disappear after finding it difficult in Division 1.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2016, 11:25   #19
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
70.1 Ansari

I had him on the injured list with Wood and Footitt but I read it's only bruising. Footitt is out for 2 months. I wonder if Ball has moved up the ladder to be the reserve and Footitt, our reserve bowler in SA, will disappear after finding it difficult in Division 1.
One hopes so. Ball may or may not be quite good enough for international cricket, but Footitt never was and never will be.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2016, 11:29   #20
Maty
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Derybshire
Age: 29
Posts: 13,300
Send a message via MSN to Maty
If they were going to pick Footitt they should have done it the year before last. His performances in 2015 never particularly warranted international recognition, his 2014 form would have caused all county batsmen problems i'd have thought.
Maty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:05.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org