Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th December 2013, 11:07   #1
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 859 Bumrah 171 Cummins 166 TCurran 27 SCurran 16
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,407
The one and only Pujara

My favourite batsman.

First noticed him when he was playing for India A in 2010.

He had to wait his turn with Tendulkar and Dravid in the India team and then missing two seasons after having two knee operations from playing in the IPL he finally can nail down number 3 spot. See him ending up with more 200s and 300s than any other player.

He liked playing against England.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ranji-tr...ry/599218.html
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 11:22   #2
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,281
Pujara definitely has ensured that India did not miss Rahul Dravid in a big way. He plays in a similar way, probably scoring quicker than Dravid did. He also tends to score big once he passes the 100-run mark.
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 15:08   #3
MRNC4.0
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 2,243
i like this guy. doesn't come across as a complete nobhead like kohli. if india can get some decent young quicks to replace khan and sharma i can see them being no.1 in a year or so.
MRNC4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 19:48   #4
JG_
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sheffield
Team(s): Yorkshire, England
Posts: 2,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRNC4.0 View Post
if india can get some decent young quicks ... i can see them being no.1 in a year or so.
Hasn't this been the case for the last 10-15 years though?
JG_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 19:53   #5
MRNC4.0
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 2,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG_ View Post
Hasn't this been the case for the last 10-15 years though?
well they got to number 1 with the same junk they have now. khan was in decent form for awhile but that was it. and i would have said 1-2 years ago even if they did have a good bowling attack their batting was too rubbish to be the best in the world, dravid aside.
MRNC4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 23:24   #6
Summer of 77
Legendary
 
Summer of 77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 9,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
My favourite batsman.

First noticed him when he was playing for India A in 2010.

He had to wait his turn with Tendulkar and Dravid in the India team and then missing two seasons after having two knee operations from playing in the IPL he finally can nail down number 3 spot. See him ending up with more 200s and 300s than any other player.

He liked playing against England.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ranji-tr...ry/599218.html
I really like him as well. There's something pleasingly old school about his physique and approach. I'd be very happy to see him score a big hundred when I'm at Lord's for the first two days of the Test next year.

Struggling to find a Pujara t-shirt anywhere, though. You'd think a Guevara style head portrait with the inscription 'Che' would be a no-brainer.
Summer of 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2013, 00:26   #7
JG_
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sheffield
Team(s): Yorkshire, England
Posts: 2,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRNC4.0 View Post
well they got to number 1 with the same junk they have now. khan was in decent form for awhile but that was it. and i would have said 1-2 years ago even if they did have a good bowling attack their batting was too rubbish to be the best in the world, dravid aside.
True, but for large parts of the last decade or more India have had good batting and good spin bowling, it's always the seamers they're looking for...

Last edited by JG_ : 27th December 2013 at 13:37.
JG_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2013, 03:02   #8
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG_ View Post
True, but for large parts of the last decade or more India have had good batting and good spin bowling, it's always the seamers their looking for...
...and spinners who can spin in overseas conditions and batsmen who can consistently score runs outside the subcontinent and a cricket board who understands cricket.
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2013, 07:57   #9
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 24,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedMale View Post
...and spinners who can spin in overseas conditions and batsmen who can consistently score runs outside the subcontinent and a cricket board who understands cricket.
Pujara looks/is the real deal but I like the look of nearly all that top 6 now, refreshed and energised.

As for the spinners, Ohja is hands down the best spinner India has for me. Ashwin lacks a body action and will get no nip/bounce away from home.
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2013, 13:41   #10
JG_
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sheffield
Team(s): Yorkshire, England
Posts: 2,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedMale View Post
...and spinners who can spin in overseas conditions and batsmen who can consistently score runs outside the subcontinent and a cricket board who understands cricket.
Most players for most teams perform better in their home conditions than overseas. Not sure you can do anything about the board though.

Agree with Chin Music about Ojha btw, he just looks a far better, more complete bowler to me.
JG_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2013, 14:30   #11
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG_ View Post
Most players for most teams perform better in their home conditions than overseas. Not sure you can do anything about the board though.

Agree with Chin Music about Ojha btw, he just looks a far better, more complete bowler to me.
Ojha is a proper spinner unlike Ashwin who relies on his carrom ball, infuriating pauses before delivery, clueless batsmen and his batting.
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2014, 05:00   #12
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,281
I'm not sure if Pujara is the next Gavaskar, but this was a good read.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine...ry/706541.html
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2016, 14:17   #13
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 859 Bumrah 171 Cummins 166 TCurran 27 SCurran 16
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,407
Pujara gets his 10th double century today. Only 8 triple 100s though. It could be 9 double and 9 triple as he is 212* and batting with Jackson 129*.

Under 14s 306
Under 17s 200*
Under 22s 206
Under 19s India 211
India Oil 215*
Under 22s 386
Under 22s 309
Saurastra 386
Saurastra 309
Saurastra 302
Saurastra 204*
India A 208*
India 206*
Saurastra 203*
Saurastra 352
India 204
India A 306*
Saurastra 269
India Blue 256*
India 202




http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-...y/1059298.html

Last edited by 1000yardstare : 19th March 2017 at 10:21.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2016, 16:32   #14
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 20,424
Sheldon Philip Jackson
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2017, 10:18   #15
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 859 Bumrah 171 Cummins 166 TCurran 27 SCurran 16
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,407
202 and the most balls faced by an Indian 525, passing Dravid's 495
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2017, 13:55   #16
Zebroston Chase
Not Lara or Chanderpaul but the best you've got
 
Zebroston Chase's Avatar
When Hope is gone, I will appear.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Glasgow
Team(s): AFC Hornchurch, Essex, England
Age: 34
Posts: 18,509
I love him.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Druid Nathan Barley View Post
I'm fully aware of his thinking, which merely underlines the point that he's an idiot.
Zebroston Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2017, 15:08   #17
Bestie
International Material
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Exeter
Posts: 1,481
Interesting to see the Ashwin/Ojha comparisons from just three years ago. How perceptions change in a short space of time, eh!
Bestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 06:28   #18
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestie View Post
Interesting to see the Ashwin/Ojha comparisons from just three years ago. How perceptions change in a short space of time, eh!
I still am undecided on Ashwin. He is very good bowler when he gets an early wicket, but I always feel he lacks plans B, C and D.

As for Pujara, he continues to be India's mainstay in batting even when commentators go ga-ga over Kohli.
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 14:06   #19
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 859 Bumrah 171 Cummins 166 TCurran 27 SCurran 16
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedMale View Post
I still am undecided on Ashwin. He is very good bowler when he gets an early wicket, but I always feel he lacks plans B, C and D.

As for Pujara, he continues to be India's mainstay in batting even when commentators go ga-ga over Kohli.
Pujara dropped in the West Indies for scoring too slowly.
Now at number 2 in the rankings and Kohli down at 4.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 09:16   #20
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
Pujara dropped in the West Indies for scoring too slowly.
Now at number 2 in the rankings and Kohli down at 4.
Well, he isn't going to be scoring quickly any time soon. What needs to be seen is if he really can score runs consistently away from India.
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:48.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org