Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th September 2020, 12:48   #1
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 26,445
Dean Jones RIP

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_...s-dies-aged-59

Dean Jones, the former Australia batsman, remembered for being one of the best one day international bastmen of his day, has died after suffering a heart attack in Mumbai. RIP
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2020, 16:17   #2
Greatbatch
World Class
 
Greatbatch's Avatar
Easy Southee
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): NZ
Posts: 5,961
Shocking news.

He was an ODI pioneer, ahead of his time with the way he played the game.

Not a bad test batsmen either, scored an epic double hundred in that famous tied test in Madras in 1986.

Came off the ground at 174 and said he couldn't go on with the heat and humidity.

Then Allan Border said "You're a weak Victorian, maybe I should get a Queenslander out here".

He went back out there and scored a double ton and then ended up in hospital on a drip.

Respect.
Greatbatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2020, 20:19   #3
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 12,158
Too young to have seen him play but I liked him as a commentator, the racist moment aside. No age really, RIP.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2020, 21:18   #4
Petarea
Posting God
 
Petarea's Avatar
Pub bore & nutter, with a generously tenuous grip on reality
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 16,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatbatch View Post
Shocking news.

He was an ODI pioneer, ahead of his time with the way he played the game.

Not a bad test batsmen either, scored an epic double hundred in that famous tied test in Madras in 1986.

Came off the ground at 174 and said he couldn't go on with the heat and humidity.

Then Allan Border said "You're a weak Victorian, maybe I should get a Queenslander out here".

He went back out there and scored a double ton and then ended up in hospital on a drip.

Respect.
This innings was being discussed on the radio earlier. Such an act and achievement simply wouldn't even be got close to these days. Respect indeed.
__________________
"Now we've signed it - we had better read it!"

Douglas Hurd, Maastricht, 7th Feb 1992.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dxZ1MoyXNA
Petarea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2020, 23:12   #5
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 26,889
The first ashes series I remember was 1989. All I remember is dean jones and Steve Waugh seemed to be batting all the time.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2020, 06:31   #6
Greatbatch
World Class
 
Greatbatch's Avatar
Easy Southee
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): NZ
Posts: 5,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
The first ashes series I remember was 1989. All I remember is dean jones and Steve Waugh seemed to be batting all the time.
Yeah he cashed in during that Ashes series like most of the Aussie batsmen did against one of the weakest English bowling attacks of all time.

Surprisingly that was the only Ashes tour he went on, he was out of their test team by the next tour in 1993.
Greatbatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2020, 07:06   #7
MRNC4.0
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 3,344
Like any Victorian kid growing up in the 80s or early 90s Deano was a sporting hero of mine. He must of been the most popular cricketer in the country at one point, mostly through his ODI exploits, and the collective frustration of him not playing more tests or when he got dropped from the ODI side in 94' and then the satisfaction when he smashed a ton playing for a world XI two years later against Australia at the MCG. I didn't care much for him as a commentator, or his persona post cricket, but the overwhelming amount of good-will towards him coming out from all parts of the sporting industry & media shows that he certainly wasn't a cold-hearted, unpopular figure. 59 is so young, rough time for his family.
MRNC4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2020, 09:20   #8
Sir Coolerking
World Class
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 5,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petarea View Post
This innings was being discussed on the radio earlier. Such an act and achievement simply wouldn't even be got close to these days. Respect indeed.
Jones Madras 1986: 210 runs 330 balls 502 mins (27x4 2x6)
Cook Kolkata 2012: 190 runs 377 balls 492 mins (23x4 2x6)

Very similar numbers, although it was about 10c cooler in Kolkata than Madras. But both innings were key to their teams winning a series in India, and that doesn't happen very often.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2020, 09:40   #9
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 26,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
Jones Madras 1986: 210 runs 330 balls 502 mins (27x4 2x6)
Cook Kolkata 2012: 190 runs 377 balls 492 mins (23x4 2x6)

Very similar numbers, although it was about 10c cooler in Kolkata than Madras. But both innings were key to their teams winning a series in India, and that doesn't happen very often.
That series was a draw (0-0 with the test you mention being a tied test). If I recall correctly, the Aussies, prior to winning in India in 2004 hadn't won since the early '70s.

I recall the comment from Border to Jones, it was regarded as one of the best sledges to a teammate.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2020, 09:51   #10
Sir Coolerking
World Class
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 5,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
That series was a draw (0-0 with the test you mention being a tied test). If I recall correctly, the Aussies, prior to winning in India in 2004 hadn't won since the early '70s.

I recall the comment from Border to Jones, it was regarded as one of the best sledges to a teammate.
Sorry, yes of course a tie. What surprises me is that the final wicket was a lbw given by a home umpire.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2020, 10:00   #11
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 26,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
Sorry, yes of course a tie. What surprises me is that the final wicket was a lbw given by a home umpire.
That still shouldn't really detract from the achievement of Jones's innings. I will confess that I hadn't realised that he had been a mightily successful test player, let alone a fine one day player.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2020, 10:58   #12
Petarea
Posting God
 
Petarea's Avatar
Pub bore & nutter, with a generously tenuous grip on reality
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 16,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
Jones Madras 1986: 210 runs 330 balls 502 mins (27x4 2x6)
Cook Kolkata 2012: 190 runs 377 balls 492 mins (23x4 2x6)

Very similar numbers, although it was about 10c cooler in Kolkata than Madras. But both innings were key to their teams winning a series in India, and that doesn't happen very often.
Sorry, I wasn't talking about the stats, was just a general musing that no way would a player be able to continue battling on these days in anything like that physical condition, the doctors etc would have him out of there long before. But that's an interesting stat comparison cheers.
__________________
"Now we've signed it - we had better read it!"

Douglas Hurd, Maastricht, 7th Feb 1992.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dxZ1MoyXNA
Petarea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2020, 12:33   #13
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,627
That Chennai innings of Jones was the first great test innings I watched live (on TV). An absolute classic innings. Arguably the quickest between the wickets in his time, Jones really was someone who was known more for his ODI exploits though he was a pretty good test batsman.

RIP Dean Jones!
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2020, 13:06   #14
Sir Coolerking
World Class
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 5,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petarea View Post
Sorry, I wasn't talking about the stats, was just a general musing that no way would a player be able to continue battling on these days in anything like that physical condition, the doctors etc would have him out of there long before. But that's an interesting stat comparison cheers.
Good point, I'm not sure whether captains like Border are frowned upon these days or looked up to as great examples of leaders.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2020, 16:22   #15
MRNC4.0
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 3,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
Good point, I'm not sure whether captains like Border are frowned upon these days or looked up to as great examples of leaders.
Border was the necessary leader of the time but his style would absolutely NOT fly now and probably lead to a mass player exodus. You could argue that the 'ugly-Australian' aspect that permeated the culture since was born out of his demeanor, although I believe the Australians under Chappell were the first to be unsocial/sledge as a deliberate tactic.
MRNC4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2020, 16:28   #16
MRNC4.0
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 3,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
That still shouldn't really detract from the achievement of Jones's innings. I will confess that I hadn't realised that he had been a mightily successful test player, let alone a fine one day player.
He was the last Victorian batsman of any real significance at test level and continued to plunder runs at FC level long after he played his last test. He should have played a 100 tests. His snubbing from the side was very controversial and he was a victim of internal politics. One popular rumour is that he was seeing Bob Simpsons daughter on the sly and when he found out about it his name was marked. Pretty petty stuff if true. Others found him over-confident, ultra-competitive and too obsessed with fitness, ironically traits that are absolutely necessary to becoming an elite cricketer now.
MRNC4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2020, 09:34   #17
Greatbatch
World Class
 
Greatbatch's Avatar
Easy Southee
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): NZ
Posts: 5,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRNC4.0 View Post
He was the last Victorian batsman of any real significance at test level and continued to plunder runs at FC level long after he played his last test. He should have played a 100 tests. His snubbing from the side was very controversial and he was a victim of internal politics. One popular rumour is that he was seeing Bob Simpsons daughter on the sly and when he found out about it his name was marked. Pretty petty stuff if true. Others found him over-confident, ultra-competitive and too obsessed with fitness, ironically traits that are absolutely necessary to becoming an elite cricketer now.
I heard the reason that he was dropped from the Aussie test team was that he didn't score enough runs early on in test series when it mattered and only scored big runs and tons in dead rubbers when it didn't matter.

That's why he was dropped despite having a great average over 40 as they thought he was inflating his average with dead rubber runs.

I'm sure there was some State politics in the decision though as you could make the same argument for dropping Mark Waugh but he stayed in the Aussie test team well after acceptances.

It's a long held opinion here in Australia that NSW hold too much sway over Australian test selections, get a NSW cap and it's a fast track to a Baggy Green.
Greatbatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2020, 10:55   #18
tony p
County Pro
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Perth
Team(s): Richmond,Tasmania, Kent, Australia.
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatbatch View Post
I heard the reason that he was dropped from the Aussie test team was that he didn't score enough runs early on in test series when it mattered and only scored big runs and tons in dead rubbers when it didn't matter.

That's why he was dropped despite having a great average over 40 as they thought he was inflating his average with dead rubber runs.

I'm sure there was some State politics in the decision though as you could make the same argument for dropping Mark Waugh but he stayed in the Aussie test team well after acceptances.

It's a long held opinion here in Australia that NSW hold too much sway over Australian test selections, get a NSW cap and it's a fast track to a Baggy Green.
I'm not totally sure that the reason you heard given gave is totally fair of him making plenty of tons and runs in dead rubbers is fair.

Looking at his Test centuries , 11 of them as follows

210@Chennai, his maiden century was match winning, or should I say,Match Tying.
184no@Sydney v England, 1986/87, 5th test, previous scores in series included 69, 93, 59
102@Perth v Sri Lanka, 1987/88, only Test of series.
216@Adelaide v West Indies, 1988/89, only played the last 3 tests of series, but that double Ton was a dead rubber.
157@Birmingham v England, 1989
122@Oval v England, 1989
Also scored, 79@Leeds 1st Test, 69@Manchester 4th Test, and a 50 to go with his century at the oval.
Averaged 70.75 but only 4th highest average, no dead runs here, everybody scored runs.
118no@Hobart v Sri Lanka, 1989/90, only a two Test Series, Mark Taylor scored hundreds in both games.
116 & 121no@Adelaide v Pakistan, 1989/90, his second innings Ton helped Australia draw the match, no dead runs here, didn't bat in the 3rd test.
150no@Perth v India, 1991/92, after a gap of 2 years, last innings of the series that Australia won 4-0, definitely dead runs and ton, accounted for almost half his series run.
100no@colombo v Sri Lanka, 1992, second last test of his career, and last series, also scored 57 in first test and 77 in the first innings of this test.
Topped the averages in his final series.

So although he may have had some dead runs and tons, I would not think it would be any different to most players.
Possibly he may have been a little hard to be around with at times, maybe that's the excuse.

RIP Dean Jones.
tony p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2020, 14:48   #19
MRNC4.0
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 3,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony p View Post
I'm not totally sure that the reason you heard given gave is totally fair of him making plenty of tons and runs in dead rubbers is fair.

Looking at his Test centuries , 11 of them as follows

210@Chennai, his maiden century was match winning, or should I say,Match Tying.
184no@Sydney v England, 1986/87, 5th test, previous scores in series included 69, 93, 59
102@Perth v Sri Lanka, 1987/88, only Test of series.
216@Adelaide v West Indies, 1988/89, only played the last 3 tests of series, but that double Ton was a dead rubber.
157@Birmingham v England, 1989
122@Oval v England, 1989
Also scored, 79@Leeds 1st Test, 69@Manchester 4th Test, and a 50 to go with his century at the oval.
Averaged 70.75 but only 4th highest average, no dead runs here, everybody scored runs.
118no@Hobart v Sri Lanka, 1989/90, only a two Test Series, Mark Taylor scored hundreds in both games.
116 & 121no@Adelaide v Pakistan, 1989/90, his second innings Ton helped Australia draw the match, no dead runs here, didn't bat in the 3rd test.
150no@Perth v India, 1991/92, after a gap of 2 years, last innings of the series that Australia won 4-0, definitely dead runs and ton, accounted for almost half his series run.
100no@colombo v Sri Lanka, 1992, second last test of his career, and last series, also scored 57 in first test and 77 in the first innings of this test.
Topped the averages in his final series.

So although he may have had some dead runs and tons, I would not think it would be any different to most players.
Possibly he may have been a little hard to be around with at times, maybe that's the excuse.

RIP Dean Jones.
Terrific post. Unfairly maligned pretty much his entire career. Was dropped when he was still one of the best ODI players in the world, averaging 53, 32 & 34 in his last 3 seasons, not exactly having a slump. As a red ball batsman he only got better after his final test 1992, plundering runs for Derbyshire and a career best haul of 1200+ runs @77 in the 1995 Shield season captaining the Vics. The selectors didn't view him to be good enough to make the 1996 World Cup squad, yet in the home summer he the World XI selectors deemed he good enough to bat at 3 in a World side in which he hit a superb ton against Australia. He was a batsman who clearly had more to give at a national level, and his snubbing was Australia loss and to their own detriment.
MRNC4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2020, 13:55   #20
Rebelstar
International Cricketer
 
Rebelstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatbatch View Post
Shocking news.

He was an ODI pioneer, ahead of his time with the way he played the game.

Not a bad test batsmen either, scored an epic double hundred in that famous tied test in Madras in 1986.

Came off the ground at 174 and said he couldn't go on with the heat and humidity.

Then Allan Border said "You're a weak Victorian, maybe I should get a Queenslander out here".

He went back out there and scored a double ton and then ended up in hospital on a drip.

Respect.
Sounds like the story I was going to mention, threw up in the middle, scraped over it and carried on batting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki
His most notable innings was in only his third Test, against India in the Tied Test in Madras (Chennai) in 1986. Suffering from dehydration in the oppressively hot and humid conditions, Jones was frequently vomiting on the pitch.[8][9] He wanted to go off the field "retired ill" which led his captain Allan Border to say that if he could not handle the conditions, he would "get a Queenslander" (Greg Ritchie, a Queenslander like Border, was the next man in to bat). This comment spurred Jones to score 210, an innings he considered a defining moment in his career and one of the epic Test innings in Australian cricket folklore.[7] This innings of 210 remains the highest score by an Australian cricketer in India. After the match, Jones was put on to an intravenous drip.[10]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_J...avenous%20drip.
Rebelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:50.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org