Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > England
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th September 2018, 08:05   #5581
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 7,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
My point is that picking someone to open against two overs of pace and then spin all day on low and slow pitches proves nothing compared to facing four 87 mph plus bowlers for two sessions. It has virtually no relevance at all.
Iíd imagine Nathan Lyon will be featuring next summer....

Search is for top 3 batsmen who can play spin and pace. At the moment we have zero identified.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 10:25   #5582
Sir Coolerking
International Material
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 1,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
Iíd imagine Nathan Lyon will be featuring next summer....
I'm sure he will, but probably not in the first 15 overs at least.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 10:27   #5583
AJ101
International Material
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
I'm sure he will, but probably not in the first 15 overs at least.
And that likely rules him out of facing any of our top 3!
AJ101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 10:32   #5584
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 21,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
Iíd imagine Nathan Lyon will be featuring next summer....

Search is for top 3 batsmen who can play spin and pace. At the moment we have zero identified.
Playing spin in the first session is just like spin in first session in Sri Lanka isnít it.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 13:50   #5585
stevieh
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Team(s): England, Kent, Canada
Posts: 7,145
England could do far worse than recall Ian Bell for some top order stability at 3, now that Cook has sailed off into the sunset. I know it’s something of a stop-gap, and it would be for tests only, but the added experience would be invaluable going into the next Ashes, I feel. Bell was in need of some time away from the grind, but if he is now up for it, he should get another go.
stevieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 13:58   #5586
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 28,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieh View Post
England could do far worse than recall Ian Bell for some top order stability at 3, now that Cook has sailed off into the sunset. I know itís something of a stop-gap, and it would be for tests only, but the added experience would be invaluable going into the next Ashes, I feel. Bell was in need of some time away from the grind, but if he is now up for it, he should get another go.
I don't even have to cut and paste

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
Except Bell can't bat in the top 4; despite this idea that he's a good player of spin he averages 27.07 in India (8 tests), 19.00 in UAE (6 tests), 26.71 in West Indies (4 tests) etc; and he'll have to be hidden in the field as he's spilled more chances than any other outfielder available for selection.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 15:06   #5587
stevieh
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Team(s): England, Kent, Canada
Posts: 7,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
I don't even have to cut and paste
Well I get that, GBG, but he’s batting 3 for Warwickshire and has the reserves of experience to draw on, so I wouldn’t be overly scrutinizing past performances on the subcontinent to assess likely value to England if given another chance.
stevieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 15:24   #5588
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 852 Cummins 156 Wagner 152 TCurran 27 SCurran 16
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,222
England selectors not bothering with averages as long as they are fast..

Stone 38.86 econ 5.40 s/r 43.1 l/o
Wood 46.88 econ 5.49 s/r 51.2
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 15:43   #5589
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 28,417
England ODI squad v Sri Lanka

Eoin Morgan (capt), Moeen Ali, Jonny Bairstow, Jos Buttler, Sam Curran, Tom Curran, Liam Dawson, Alex Hales, Liam Plunkett, Adil Rashid, Joe Root, Jason Roy, Ben Stokes, Olly Stone, Chris Woakes, Mark Wood


I think the story here is no resting of Bairstow, Root etc. Several people on here suggested they'd give them the ODI tour off ahead of an Ashes and World Cup summer (I'd have rested them for the entire tour).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 16:22   #5590
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 7,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
Playing spin in the first session is just like spin in first session in Sri Lanka isnít it.
Test level mentality is test level mentality. Vs spin , pace , home , away..
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 16:38   #5591
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 852 Cummins 156 Wagner 152 TCurran 27 SCurran 16
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,222
http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...bowler-call-up

However, with England's selectors sorely tempted to include Stone for the Test leg of their Sri Lanka tour, especially given how their absence of express pace in last winter's Ashes campaign proved so costly, Giles warned them not to overwork their new young asset.

"They've timed it right but they still need to manage him really carefully," he said. "You have to manage him with kid gloves. I think if you're expecting Olly to play every day and be at it, he'll break down. He's a Ferrari.

---

Wood now back again, apart not playing for nearly a month, I expect him to picked for the Test squad.

Anderson, Broad, Curran, Stokes, Woakes, Wood?
Ali, Rashid, Leach, Dawson?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/...tors-consider/

Last edited by 1000yardstare : 20th September 2018 at 02:52.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 20:25   #5592
Psyduck
Posting God
 
Psyduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester
Team(s): England, Lancashire, Man Utd
Posts: 16,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...bowler-call-up

However, with England's selectors sorely tempted to include Stone for the Test leg of their Sri Lanka tour, especially given how their absence of express pace in last winter's Ashes campaign proved so costly, Giles warned them not to overwork their new young asset.

"They've timed it right but they still need to manage him really carefully," he said. "You have to manage him with kid gloves. I think if you're expecting Olly to play every day and be at it, he'll break down. He's a Ferrari.

---

Wood now back again, apart not playing for nearly a month, I expect him to picked for the Test squad.

Anderson, Broad, Curran, Stokes, Woakes, Wood?
Ali, Rashid, Leach, Dawson?
I imagine the fourth spinner is between Bess and Dawson but Virdi has a chance. I wouldnít even consider Wood for tests. At least one of Stone and Jamie Overton will surely make the squad.
Psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 20:40   #5593
stevieh
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Team(s): England, Kent, Canada
Posts: 7,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
Except Bell can't bat in the top 4; despite this idea that he's a good player of spin he averages 27.07 in India (8 tests), 19.00 in UAE (6 tests), 26.71 in West Indies (4 tests) etc; and he'll have to be hidden in the field as he's spilled more chances than any other outfielder available for selection.
I realise you and probably several others remain unconvinced that Bell could merit a recall, especially with Ravi also making his case with an unbeaten ton, but stranger things have happened before (and also at sea), making it not so wildly beyond the bounds of plausibility. I am desperate enough with the state of the top 5 to draft in IRB for another kick at the can in the winter tours (tests).
stevieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2018, 09:35   #5594
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieh View Post
I realise you and probably several others remain unconvinced that Bell could merit a recall, especially with Ravi also making his case with an unbeaten ton, but stranger things have happened before (and also at sea), making it not so wildly beyond the bounds of plausibility. I am desperate enough with the state of the top 5 to draft in IRB for another kick at the can in the winter tours (tests).
I wouldn't pick him, but if I did it would be to open. He's only really in the conversation because the other options have been so poor.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2018, 09:38   #5595
Fatslogger
Self Confessed Mentalist
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hitchin
Team(s): England and Liverpool
Age: 42
Posts: 43,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
Test level mentality is test level mentality. Vs spin , pace , home , away..
Iím not sure this really means anything. How are you defining it?
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Fatslogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2018, 10:44   #5596
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 7,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatslogger View Post
Iím not sure this really means anything. How are you defining it?
Stoneman vs Buttler.

One has it - the other doesn't. One grabbed his test chance this year - the other didn't last year.

County red ball stats wouldn't show you that. In fact Buttler hadn't played much red ball cricket at all.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2018, 10:57   #5597
Sir Coolerking
International Material
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 1,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
Stoneman vs Buttler.

One has it - the other doesn't. One grabbed his test chance this year - the other didn't last year.

County red ball stats wouldn't show you that. In fact Buttler hadn't played much red ball cricket at all.
Buttler had failed first time around though - maybe if Stoneman was given another chance he might be ready for it now?
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2018, 11:16   #5598
oldandfat
County Pro
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 875
Easier to perform batting at 7 in a winning team than opening for a losing team touring Australia.
I am not really a Stoneman fan, but.
oldandfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2018, 11:17   #5599
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 7,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldandfat View Post
Easier to perform batting at 7 in a winning team than opening for a losing team touring Australia.
I am not really a Stoneman fan, but.
Maybe - but Buttler was one of the few who performed vs Pakistan.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2018, 12:05   #5600
D/L
Legendary
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 9,305
He did enjoy some very good fortune, though.
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:08.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© Cricket247.org