Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th April 2017, 09:30   #121
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 10,258
It'll be interesting to see how many cricketers round the world will find an Irish grandparent too.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2017, 09:39   #122
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
It'll be interesting to see how many cricketers round the world will find an Irish grandparent too.
Andy Townsend has already been spotted honing his forward defensive in the nets.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2017, 09:51   #123
Bestie
International Material
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Exeter
Posts: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Andy Townsend has already been spotted honing his forward defensive in the nets.
Bestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2017, 18:57   #124
cabinboy
Posting God
 
cabinboy's Avatar
Do Gooder
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 13,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
It'll be interesting to see how many cricketers round the world will find an Irish grandparent too.
Kevin Pietersen would become available next year.

That said we already have 50-60 players playing first class cricket already to pick from.
cabinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017, 18:16   #125
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
If cricket is to spread into China it has a long way to go. They played Saudi Arabia today in a one day game and lost by 390 runs. Yes, that's right, 390 runs - 418 plays 28
China have now lost 6/6, but at least they managed 74ao in one game.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 06:57   #126
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 5,711
ICC test championship - how does this work ???

The Test series league will see nine teams play six series over two years – three home and three away – with each having a minimum of two Tests and a maximum of five and all matches being played over five days culminating in a World Test League Championship Final.

Why can you pick 6 from 8 and sit in a table of 9 ??
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 07:27   #127
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,619
Hi Ireland! Howdy Afghanistan! Welcome to Test Cricket! Now if you could just go and sit in the corner with Zimbabwe while we all get on with the important stuff, and we'll see you in 5 years!
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 08:00   #128
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 5,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Hi Ireland! Howdy Afghanistan! Welcome to Test Cricket! Now if you could just go and sit in the corner with Zimbabwe while we all get on with the important stuff, and we'll see you in 5 years!
Ireland haven’t even played a test yet - nothing wrong with having a second tier.

Apparently though these 6 test “series” can be single tests !

And India still get to dodge Pakistan. A start but a long way to go.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 08:07   #129
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
Ireland haven’t even played a test yet - nothing wrong with having a second tier.

Apparently though these 6 test “series” can be single tests !

And India still get to dodge Pakistan. A start but a long way to go.
Well it's what I expected, all the politics and business getting in the way of making the system better, so we get a fudge.

Making the second tier the three teams no one else wants to play seems to defeat the object. I think Ireland and Afghanistan have played Zimbabwe relatively regularly anyway.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 09:04   #130
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 23,761
4 day tests? What a barrel of sh!te!
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 09:21   #131
Summer of '77
World Class
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 7,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
4 day tests? What a barrel of sh!te!
There seems to be an increasing clamour for them, which seems largely based on the number which of matches which don't go the whole hog. The only benefit I can see is that 4 day Tests would free up a handful of days in the international schedule although, on past experience, these will simply be used for yet more white ball cricket. It's not as if the Test grounds need that extra day for some alternative event. For sure, an empty 5th Day will mean some expense for nil income but compared to the potential earnings from a Day 5 crowd, it has to be a arrangement they'll want to retain.

Worth remembering too that the one exciting and memorable day of the West Indies tour was the only Day 5 of the series.
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 10:38   #132
sanskritsimon
Legendary
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 9,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
There seems to be an increasing clamour for them, which seems largely based on the number which of matches which don't go the whole hog. The only benefit I can see is that 4 day Tests would free up a handful of days in the international schedule although, on past experience, these will simply be used for yet more white ball cricket. It's not as if the Test grounds need that extra day for some alternative event. For sure, an empty 5th Day will mean some expense for nil income but compared to the potential earnings from a Day 5 crowd, it has to be a arrangement they'll want to retain.

Worth remembering too that the one exciting and memorable day of the West Indies tour was the only Day 5 of the series.
There's no real problem with scheduling a fifth day that doesn't happen. All the relevant staff are on zero-hours contracts anyway. In my view the real reason why there's a call for four-day tests is because the shorter playing time will give teams an extra incentive to bat recklessly in pursuit of victory. In other words, it's to make test cricket more like one-day cricket, so that the great new global audience that currently thinks cricket is boring will come flooding through the gates and hand over lots of lovely lolly. This is already the main factor driving ECB policy.
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 11:04   #133
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 793 Wagner 118 TCurran 7 SCurran 0 Cummins 101
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanskritsimon View Post
There's no real problem with scheduling a fifth day that doesn't happen. All the relevant staff are on zero-hours contracts anyway. In my view the real reason why there's a call for four-day tests is because the shorter playing time will give teams an extra incentive to bat recklessly in pursuit of victory. In other words, it's to make test cricket more like one-day cricket, so that the great new global audience that currently thinks cricket is boring will come flooding through the gates and hand over lots of lovely lolly. This is already the main factor driving ECB policy.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 11:25   #134
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 27,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
There seems to be an increasing clamour for them, which seems largely based on the number which of matches which don't go the whole hog. The only benefit I can see is that 4 day Tests would free up a handful of days in the international schedule although, on past experience, these will simply be used for yet more white ball cricket. It's not as if the Test grounds need that extra day for some alternative event. For sure, an empty 5th Day will mean some expense for nil income but compared to the potential earnings from a Day 5 crowd, it has to be a arrangement they'll want to retain.

Worth remembering too that the one exciting and memorable day of the West Indies tour was the only Day 5 of the series.
I really don't think Day 5 makes significant money. There's no Corporate Hospitality sales, ticket prices are slashed by two-thirds and even then there's a higher number of kids (often for free, and if not for further reduced prices). Even then you've still got your overheads that need paying for (even if on a zero hours contract).

Anyway, it's more about TV wagging the dog. It's easier to sell 4 days than 5 days which will probably only be 4 days anyway.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 12:04   #135
blackeyedangles
County 1st Team
 
blackeyedangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 410
Test championship - fine.

4 day tests - not convinced.
blackeyedangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 12:13   #136
Comte Nom de Plume
County 2nd Team
 
Comte Nom de Plume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Gloucestershire
Team(s): Worcs and Yorks CCCs
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
4 day tests? What a barrel of sh!te!
I couldn't have put it better.
Comte Nom de Plume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 13:31   #137
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 27,075
I think I'd be in favour of 4 day tests if it meant another test was added to every series shorter than 5 tests.

I'm expecting we'll just get more ****ing Ashes and India series instead though.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 14:01   #138
Summer of '77
World Class
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 7,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
I think I'd be in favour of 4 day tests if it meant another test was added to every series shorter than 5 tes
Me too....if they really can get them to bowl 105 overs per day.
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 15:25   #139
D/L
World Class
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 6,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
ICC test championship - how does this work?...
It doesn't. It's not a like a rugby or soccer world championship where teams competing at the end bear some resemblance to those competing throughout.

A cricket test championship will be played for over such an extended period of time that, rather like ICC rankings, it will be meaningless.
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 16:50   #140
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 10,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
Me too....if they really can get them to bowl 105 overs per day.
The success of the pink ball and floodlights makes this more than possible. My biggest annoyance with 5 day Tests was when groundsmen would produce an absolute road designed to last two weeks to make sure they get all 5 days' TV revenue, but that seems to have naturally sorted itself out to a large degree judging from recent results. It's worth a trial with the newer sides being phased into Tests. One thing I don't really understand is that surely in this Test championship, not all teams will play each other inside two years. Plus for England who want to play two series per summer, surely one of those series won't count towards the championship?
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:33.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© Cricket247.org