Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th July 2017, 15:38   #121
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,619
At least England past 100 today.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2017, 07:47   #122
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 23,761
It should be pointed out that with his 69 at Lord's (ooh-err!) that Alastair Cook had reached his 99th non-converted 50 in first class cricket. This is alongside 59 f/c tons, 30 of those being in test cricket. Will he make it 31 test tons and 60 f/c tons or will an unwanted milestone be achieved when he completes his innings today?

In fairness despite only having 5 of his tons in his last 50 tests the conversion rate of passing 50 and converting them into tons is still good.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2017, 14:02   #123
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,619
Tom Westley gets his first mention.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2017, 14:10   #124
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Tom Westley gets his first mention.
And the 29th for Root.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2017, 14:34   #125
Zebroston Chase
Not Lara or Chanderpaul but the best you've got
 
Zebroston Chase's Avatar
When Hope is gone, I will appear.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Glasgow
Team(s): AFC Hornchurch, Essex, England
Age: 33
Posts: 18,456
Nice to see a number 3 who isn't Root get on this list.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Druid Nathan Barley View Post
I'm fully aware of his thinking, which merely underlines the point that he's an idiot.
Zebroston Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2017, 21:02   #126
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 23,761
Possibly a little harsh in some respects for Root and Bairstow to get on this thread as they were playing to the situation a little as was Westley in trying to get a move on but I guess we wouldn't being that true to the spirit of the thread if we exclude them.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2017, 08:41   #127
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 23,761
With his 6th unconverted 50 in a row, KL Rahul should be the biggest contender going to get a mention in this thread title. However it appears that it was Pujara at fault. Pujara possibly even makes Inzy look quick.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2017, 11:07   #128
Psyduck
Posting God
 
Psyduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester
Team(s): England, Lancashire, Man Utd
Posts: 15,538
Did anyone see Ian Bell on TV the other day in a T20 versus Northants? It was absolutely hilarious. His only run from his first 10 deliveries was a Chinese cut for 4 and he finished the powerplay something like 11 not out. He made 16 at a S/R of 84 and was out bowled by a part time spinner attempting a reverse sweep a full toss. #bellforengland
Psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2017, 22:34   #129
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 41,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyduck View Post
Did anyone see Ian Bell on TV the other day in a T20 versus Northants? It was absolutely hilarious. His only run from his first 10 deliveries was a Chinese cut for 4 and he finished the powerplay something like 11 not out. He made 16 at a S/R of 84 and was out bowled by a part time spinner attempting a reverse sweep a full toss. #bellforengland
Off-topic as there is not a score of 50 involved.
__________________
As balanced and focused as the next man
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2017, 22:41   #130
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 41,791
When Root got out for 52 today it provoked some mention of his conversion rate by the commentators. However, while he has a habit of getting out between 50 and 100, once he makes it to three figures he cashes in big time. Out of his 12 scores of 100+ only 5 are below 149 and in the other 7, four are not-outs and two are double-centuries.
__________________
As balanced and focused as the next man
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2017, 22:46   #131
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,619
The terrible conversion rate continues this series with 23 half-centuries and only 3 centuries. In particular, there have been 13 scores in the 50s.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.

Last edited by Ali TT : 4th August 2017 at 23:39.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2017, 23:02   #132
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 41,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
The terrible conversion rate continues this series with 23 half-centuries and only 3 centuries. On top of that, there have been 13 scores in the 50s.
On the highlights just now Nasser called him Mr Consistency. 10 consecutive matches in which he scored 50 or more....
__________________
As balanced and focused as the next man
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2017, 23:04   #133
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 41,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
The terrible conversion rate continues this series with 23 half-centuries and only 3 centuries. On top of that, there have been 13 scores in the 50s.
This doesn't make sense. 23 half-centuries and "on top of that 13 scores in the 50s" ??
__________________
As balanced and focused as the next man
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2017, 23:13   #134
square leg umpire
World Class
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 7,779
Funny that if deKock hadn't had that brain fade and let that chance go past him Root wouldn't have got to 50 and this wouldn't have been an issue.
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2017, 23:39   #135
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer View Post
On the highlights just now Nasser called him Mr Consistency. 10 consecutive matches in which he scored 50 or more....
Who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer View Post
This doesn't make sense. 23 half-centuries and "on top of that 13 scores in the 50s" ??
Edited.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2017, 23:56   #136
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 41,791
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Who?


Edited.
Root, the person I was talking about in the previous post. And when he got his 50 Hussain mentioned the stat of the 10 consecutive matches containing at least one half-century.

It took me a while to work out what you meant re the half-centuries and scores in the 50s but I think I now get it. You mean 13 of them were below 60?
__________________
As balanced and focused as the next man
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 07:40   #137
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer View Post
Root, the person I was talking about in the previous post. And when he got his 50 Hussain mentioned the stat of the 10 consecutive matches containing at least one half-century.

It took me a while to work out what you meant re the half-centuries and scores in the 50s but I think I now get it. You mean 13 of them were below 60?
I am discussing the series as a whole, not just Root and yes, scores under 60 (or more precisely between 50 and 59).
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 08:14   #138
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 23,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer View Post
When Root got out for 52 today it provoked some mention of his conversion rate by the commentators. However, while he has a habit of getting out between 50 and 100, once he makes it to three figures he cashes in big time. Out of his 12 scores of 100+ only 5 are below 149 and in the other 7, four are not-outs and two are double-centuries.
We on here have been mentioning it for well over a year and far longer than this particular thread has been in existence, however this allows some context to discuss players having an issue with converting. I do think this poor conversion rate sets him behind the likes of Williamson and most obviously Steve Smith. In terms of talent Root is easily in the same league as those guys. In terms of being as big a game-changer, he isn't.

I think Ali's stats re the lack of converted 100s this series is insightful as to the overall quality of batsmanship on display, i.e. it has been a bit mediocre overall.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 09:33   #139
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 793 Wagner 118 TCurran 7 SCurran 0 Cummins 101
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
We on here have been mentioning it for well over a year and far longer than this particular thread has been in existence, however this allows some context to discuss players having an issue with converting. I do think this poor conversion rate sets him behind the likes of Williamson and most obviously Steve Smith. In terms of talent Root is easily in the same league as those guys. In terms of being as big a game-changer, he isn't.

I think Ali's stats re the lack of converted 100s this series is insightful as to the overall quality of batsmanship on display, i.e. it has been a bit mediocre overall.

Conversion rates of 50s into 100s in Tests

Kohli: 54.83%
Smith: 50.00%
Williamson: 40.47%
Root: 28.57%
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 11:07   #140
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
Conversion rates of 50s into 100s in Tests

Kohli: 54.83%
Smith: 50.00%
Williamson: 40.47%
Root: 28.57%
% of innings scoring 50 or more

Root 40
Smith 40
Williamson 38
Kohli 31

Past greats:
G Smith 32
Ponting 35
Tendulkar 36
Sangakkara 39
Lara 35
V Richards 39
Gavaskar 42
Barrington 42
Sobers 35
Hammond 33
Bradman 53
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:46.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org