Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > The Kim Jones Domestic Cricket Forum
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th April 2017, 19:03   #21
CDogg16
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 4,000
Hampshire win by four wickets, two defeats in a row for Yorkshire.
CDogg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 08:25   #22
Fred
County 1st Team
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 450
three:
Somerset by 10 wickets
Middlesex by 61 runs
now
Hampshire by 4 wickets
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 09:49   #23
paulsre
World Class
 
paulsre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In a class 101 Met Cam time machine to the past
Team(s): Stockholm Taverners CC, County cricket, MCCU cricket, England, Scarborough CC, Swedish cricket
Posts: 5,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestie View Post
I'm also feeling a little more confident about my suggestion that Warwickshire might go down. Without Woakes, Surrey fans said their attack was very one-paced with only the workmanlike Barker testing them, and they're hugely reliant on a crop of players in their thirties whose stars are fading.
I was surprised they were once again touted in some quarters to challenge. The team looks more or less the same as the one that struggled badly last season. The only thing I can see is that Trott may make a Ramprakash-type heap of runs this summer.
paulsre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 14:31   #24
Prince of Denmark
International Material
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydenham Hill
Team(s): Surrey CCC, Dulwich Hamlet FC, England
Age: 51
Posts: 1,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestie View Post
I'm also feeling a little more confident about my suggestion that Warwickshire might go down. Without Woakes, Surrey fans said their attack was very one-paced with only the workmanlike Barker testing them, and they're hugely reliant on a crop of players in their thirties whose stars are fading.
It's almost the same side that were champions in 2012 - eight of this week's XI were regulars then. Five years ago they were all mature players in their prime - now most of them look past it, and the youngest regular member of that side (Woakes) is unlikely to be available for many games, although Bell & Trott both batted superbly in the second innings and it took an astounding slip catch by Borthwick to remove Bell for 67.
Prince of Denmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 15:59   #25
Bestie
International Material
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Exeter
Posts: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Denmark View Post
It's almost the same side that were champions in 2012 - eight of this week's XI were regulars then. Five years ago they were all mature players in their prime - now most of them look past it, and the youngest regular member of that side (Woakes) is unlikely to be available for many games, although Bell & Trott both batted superbly in the second innings and it took an astounding slip catch by Borthwick to remove Bell for 67.
It was an absolute stunner from Borthwick. If he bats well to go with the fielding that's his place assured in the test side as a spinner.
Bestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 17:13   #26
Redmachine
International Material
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Denmark View Post
It's almost the same side that were champions in 2012 - eight of this week's XI were regulars then. Five years ago they were all mature players in their prime - now most of them look past it, and the youngest regular member of that side (Woakes) is unlikely to be available for many games, although Bell & Trott both batted superbly in the second innings and it took an astounding slip catch by Borthwick to remove Bell for 67.
I think Warwickshire will just about be okay. They'll get enough runs out of Bell, Trott and Hain, plus enough wickets out of Barker and Patel to stay up. Lancashire and Essex look a bit impotent with the ball. I've got money on those two going down so I'm pleased about that.
Redmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 18:04   #27
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 27,071
Lancashire escape with a draw.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 18:07   #28
Summer of '77
World Class
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 7,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
Lancashire escape with a draw.
A fine effort by Essex to save this game. The contest highlighted the deficiencies in their attack but, hopefully, Wagner has had his poor performance for this season and will prove a more potent spearhead from now.
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 18:15   #29
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 27,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
A fine effort by Essex to save this game. The contest highlighted the deficiencies in their attack but, hopefully, Wagner has had his poor performance for this season and will prove a more potent spearhead from now.
Wagner is a gamer but I fear lacks the necessary class to make a difference.

Best thing from an Essex perspective is that our best performers with bat and ball are both teenagers.

Aaron Beard with 15-4-47-3 and 13-2-45-2
Dan Lawrence with 37 and 141*
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 18:41   #30
Redmachine
International Material
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
Wagner is a gamer but I fear lacks the necessary class to make a difference.

Best thing from an Essex perspective is that our best performers with bat and ball are both teenagers.

Aaron Beard with 15-4-47-3 and 13-2-45-2
Dan Lawrence with 37 and 141*
I saw Dan Lawrence play for England under 19s. He's the best player I'd seen at that level since Reece Topley. I hope he's playing for England in a couple of years. A year (maybe more) in Div 1 will help.
Redmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 19:11   #31
square leg umpire
World Class
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 7,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
A fine effort by Essex to save this game. The contest highlighted the deficiencies in their attack but, hopefully, Wagner has had his poor performance for this season and will prove a more potent spearhead from now.
Seems like Lancashire were too cautious with their declaration.
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 19:35   #32
Bestie
International Material
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Exeter
Posts: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
Wagner is a gamer but I fear lacks the necessary class to make a difference.

Best thing from an Essex perspective is that our best performers with bat and ball are both teenagers.

Aaron Beard with 15-4-47-3 and 13-2-45-2
Dan Lawrence with 37 and 141*
He's had a cracking spell for NZ in tests over the last year or so, though. Think he's a fine bowler at CC level. Certainly tested Hameed with some sharp short balls.

When does Amir arrive?
Bestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 20:16   #33
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 27,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestie View Post
He's had a cracking spell for NZ in tests over the last year or so, though. Think he's a fine bowler at CC level. Certainly tested Hameed with some sharp short balls.

When does Amir arrive?
Amir comes when Wagner goes.

Wagner's not a bad player by any stretch but he's not a spearhead of an attack. He's strength is bowling the overs nobody wants to bowl (into the wind, uphill, when the ball is old) and he does that as well as anyone in world cricket.

I'm not convinced Amir is that player either. This probably says more about the Essex attack than either bowler. Essex could really do with a Waqar Younis in his prime but it's no shame to not be that.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 20:56   #34
Fred
County 1st Team
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by square leg umpire View Post
Seems like Lancashire were too cautious with their declaration.
Difficult when you have a debutant in the 80s and 90s.

Things might have been different had they not dropped Westley yesterday - twice when on only 10 & 11. He was eventually out after lunch today. But then Essex dropped Davies plenty of times.

Things might have been different if they had enforced the follow on.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2017, 00:11   #35
JRC67
International Material
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestie View Post
It was an absolute stunner from Borthwick. If he bats well to go with the fielding that's his place assured in the test side as a spinner.
Borthwick should really have been given a go by now at three. His leg spin has failed to develop but he's probably the most consistent batsman in county cricket over the last 4 seasons .... and a very capable fielder. I would have given him a go last summer and picked him for India as a batsman.
JRC67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2017, 11:00   #36
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 793 Wagner 118 TCurran 7 SCurran 0 Cummins 101
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,186
Adam Mountford‏
@tmsproducer

Well over a million people listened to the opening round of 2017 County season via @BBCSport & that's just the online figures.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2017, 01:03   #37
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 793 Wagner 118 TCurran 7 SCurran 0 Cummins 101
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,186
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...nghamshire-ecb

Can't believe that Strauss refused Notts request to play Broad against Durham. He only bowled 21 overs.

48 hours of talks...
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2017, 13:18   #38
Prince of Denmark
International Material
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydenham Hill
Team(s): Surrey CCC, Dulwich Hamlet FC, England
Age: 51
Posts: 1,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRC67 View Post
Borthwick should really have been given a go by now at three. His leg spin has failed to develop but he's probably the most consistent batsman in county cricket over the last 4 seasons .... and a very capable fielder. I would have given him a go last summer and picked him for India as a batsman.
I'd only seen him bat once for Durham, which was four years ago when they first moved him up the order. On that occasion he made runs, but made it look like hard work. In this match it was a bit of an effort to get into the twenties, but he'd just played a couple of promising extra cover drives for four when he got out. I didn't realise he was such an accomplished slip fielder; he also took four catches in the first innings when Warks were skittled for 91. His bowling wasn't really required for this match. I'm hoping his arrival will stimulate Ansari (omitted from a CC match while fit for the first time since at least 2014) to improve his batting returns; the latter's bowling is reliable enough at CC level, and he's capable of batting in the top six, but he hasn't so far scored the weight of runs to fully justify a top six batting place.

Surrey's other new boy, Stoneman, played as superbly as his score of 165 would suggest. A massive first day contribution to an emphatic victory. He looks the perfect opening partner for Burns, who played a typical Burns innings reaching 71 in good time without looking in any real bother, then getting out. He always gets his 1,000 runs for the season, averages in the 40s, rarely gets out before the change bowlers are on, yet just doesn't get enough big scores to force his way into consideration for the Test side.

Unfotunately I wasn't there on day 2 for Footitt's tour de force. He now has 29 wickets in his last four CC matches. I know he was injured early last season but I find it odd the way he seems to have been completely discarded by England after going on the SA Test tour last winter. Still, why give an opportunity to someone like him when you can persevere with Steven Finn instead?
Prince of Denmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2017, 15:54   #39
Fred
County 1st Team
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...nghamshire-ecb

Can't believe that Strauss refused Notts request to play Broad against Durham. He only bowled 21 overs.

48 hours of talks...
Can't believe the double standards.

Stokes is given permission to play in the IPL, whilst representing England in all 3 formats, whilst Broad is banned from the playing in the county championship after 21 overs.

But then it's a similar decision to allowing Stokes to play all the game against Lancashire in Southport last year whilst insisting that Anderson withdrew half way through.

Perhaps the ECB are trying to redress the penalty given to Durham?
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2017, 10:45   #40
Prince of Denmark
International Material
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydenham Hill
Team(s): Surrey CCC, Dulwich Hamlet FC, England
Age: 51
Posts: 1,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Can't believe the double standards.

Stokes is given permission to play in the IPL, whilst representing England in all 3 formats, whilst Broad is banned from the playing in the county championship after 21 overs.

But then it's a similar decision to allowing Stokes to play all the game against Lancashire in Southport last year whilst insisting that Anderson withdrew half way through.
Telling someone to withdraw halfway through a match is ridiculous. Personally I'd have told the ECB I wouldn't have pick him at all if he's not going to be allowed to play both innings.

As for Broad, he doesn't play ODIs or T20Is, and there's not Test cricket until July. He doesn't need wrapping in cotton wool at this stage, especially after bowling so few overs last week.
Prince of Denmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:42.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org