Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th September 2017, 18:18   #41
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,697
Money talks and while the BCCI are restrained from the fullest excesses, it's going to be hard to make them do anything they don't want to. Not that the ECB or CA are much better.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2017, 09:01   #42
Sir Coolerking
County 2nd Team
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: N Hants
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 242
Australia are utterly useless in the sub continent, but it hasn't stopped them touring all the countries in the last 2 years.

It is 3 years since India have ventured to either Aus, SA, Eng or NZ. They have effectively created a division for themselves it seems anyway.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2017, 14:09   #43
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 27,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
It's never going to work. India have played just one series outside of the sub-continent in the last 3 years (W Indies).........and they can't even confirm if they'll go to S Africa this Xmas either.

The current rankings are a farce based on that.

They go where they want.....
This is why a league is needed. To get some structure to the fixture list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
Australia are utterly useless in the sub continent, but it hasn't stopped them touring all the countries in the last 2 years.

It is 3 years since India have ventured to either Aus, SA, Eng or NZ. They have effectively created a division for themselves it seems anyway.
Australia are not a regular visitor to the subcontinent. They have only scheduled mini-series against Sri Lanka and Bangladesh as a means of preparing for India, who they want to play for financial reasons.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2017, 15:26   #44
ConfusedMale
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 2,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
Australia are utterly useless in the sub continent, but it hasn't stopped them touring all the countries in the last 2 years.

It is 3 years since India have ventured to either Aus, SA, Eng or NZ. They have effectively created a division for themselves it seems anyway.
There was a time prior to now when we toured NZ, SA, Aus and Eng (not necessarily in that order). It is just that we've always got either long stretches of home games or away games. We've already started touring, albeit in subcontinent but will venture out and stay out for a while.
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2017, 18:21   #45
billyguntheballs
County Pro
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
Australia are utterly useless in the sub continent, but it hasn't stopped them touring all the countries in the last 2 years.

It is 3 years since India have ventured to either Aus, SA, Eng or NZ. They have effectively created a division for themselves it seems anyway.
They wouldn't even play their biggest rival who would also bring them their biggest financial rewards in the UAE. It's a clown show over there.
__________________

I can accept failure...I can not accept not trying again.
billyguntheballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2017, 07:34   #46
mustardcharlie
Established International
 
mustardcharlie's Avatar
You know there ain't no devil: It's just God when he's drun
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bedfordshire
Team(s): Yorkshire, England, LUFC, Otley RFC.
Age: 65
Posts: 4,696
I have read most of the posts on this thread so far and find them interesting, amusing and occasionally perceptive.

I don't see why politics should come into it. A battle between India and Pakistan at Egbaston would draw in the crowds. Similarly test series between NZ and Bangladesh would get people watching the longer form of the game if it were a promotion/relegation fight. The recent victories of Bangladesh (x2) and the WIndies (away), have shown that that they can be competitive.

Why not 3 divisions? Cricket is popular in many countries
__________________
Answers 3d
Answers (requiring thought) 6d
Answers (correct) 1s
mustardcharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2017, 10:20   #47
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,697
Actually the recent victories of the Windies and Bangladesh would suggest we should avoid two divisions. It would certainly seem particularly cruel if, now they've started to win matches at home, to completely cut the Banglas opportunities to play and beat the bigger sides. I think it would harm, not improve, their future development in the test format.

Two divisions is one of those nice ideas that fans like us can pontificate over, but in practical terms there will end up being too many reasons and interests NOT to do it.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2017, 18:43   #48
Rebelstar
International Material
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Actually the recent victories of the Windies and Bangladesh would suggest we should avoid two divisions. It would certainly seem particularly cruel if, now they've started to win matches at home, to completely cut the Banglas opportunities to play and beat the bigger sides. I think it would harm, not improve, their future development in the test format.

Two divisions is one of those nice ideas that fans like us can pontificate over, but in practical terms there will end up being too many reasons and interests NOT to do it.
And just as many reasons to do it, the key ones in fact - schedule overload and despite your faith that one-off (win) doesn't do what a one-off(win, against a given side ie AUS or ENG) does, getting fairly comprehensively thumped most of the time may be all that most need to get over some false belief come romanticism of the underdog.

Or put another way I wouldn't want to see Sutton United play in the top flight of English football on the basis of having once beaten Coventry, and all the other upsets. They have leagues to see teams deserving to play in a higher division getting their on long term merit not one-off wins.
Rebelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2017, 18:54   #49
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 5,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Actually the recent victories of the Windies and Bangladesh would suggest we should avoid two divisions. It would certainly seem particularly cruel if, now they've started to win matches at home, to completely cut the Banglas opportunities to play and beat the bigger sides. I think it would harm, not improve, their future development in the test format.

Two divisions is one of those nice ideas that fans like us can pontificate over, but in practical terms there will end up being too many reasons and interests NOT to do it.
Similarly all 92 clubs in the football league should form a single league as there were a couple of shocks in the FA cup last season.

Would definitely improve the spectacle.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2017, 16:31   #50
cg3
County 1st Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
Australia are utterly useless in the sub continent, but it hasn't stopped them touring all the countries in the last 2 years.

It is 3 years since India have ventured to either Aus, SA, Eng or NZ. They have effectively created a division for themselves it seems anyway.
It is 3 years because India didn't play a single home Test between December 2013 and October 2015. In that time they toured SA, NZ, England and Australia in succession at one stage. Which would be equivalent to Australia or England touring India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and UAE in succession without playing a single game at home. Which has never happened, nor will happen.

In other words - check your facts next time before spouting utter tosh.
cg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2017, 18:36   #51
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelstar View Post
And just as many reasons to do it, the key ones in fact - schedule overload and despite your faith that one-off (win) doesn't do what a one-off(win, against a given side ie AUS or ENG) does, getting fairly comprehensively thumped most of the time may be all that most need to get over some false belief come romanticism of the underdog.

Or put another way I wouldn't want to see Sutton United play in the top flight of English football on the basis of having once beaten Coventry, and all the other upsets. They have leagues to see teams deserving to play in a higher division getting their on long term merit not one-off wins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
Similarly all 92 clubs in the football league should form a single league as there were a couple of shocks in the FA cup last season.

Would definitely improve the spectacle.
I can't be bothered to list the various reasons why this comparison is utterly false.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg3 View Post
It is 3 years because India didn't play a single home Test between December 2013 and October 2015. In that time they toured SA, NZ, England and Australia in succession at one stage. Which would be equivalent to Australia or England touring India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and UAE in succession without playing a single game at home. Which has never happened, nor will happen.

In other words - check your facts next time before spouting utter tosh.
Well said.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2017, 13:32   #52
billyguntheballs
County Pro
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardcharlie View Post
I have read most of the posts on this thread so far and find them interesting, amusing and occasionally perceptive.

I don't see why politics should come into it. A battle between India and Pakistan at Egbaston would draw in the crowds. Similarly test series between NZ and Bangladesh would get people watching the longer form of the game if it were a promotion/relegation fight. The recent victories of Bangladesh (x2) and the WIndies (away), have shown that that they can be competitive.

Why not 3 divisions? Cricket is popular in many countries
3 divisions is not financially viable.

India cant play Pakistan because the Indian government does not allow it
__________________

I can accept failure...I can not accept not trying again.
billyguntheballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:53.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org