Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > Archive > International Archive > 2012 International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th November 2012, 07:34   #261
beefy
World Class
 
beefy's Avatar
Bulldog spirit
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London Town
Team(s): England & Arsenal
Posts: 7,352
I'd have wanted us to have at least come out and attacked and tried to prove a point in taking 4-5 wickets. As it is we start the first over with 1 slip and a sweeper and deep square leg.
__________________
ENGLAND; Ashes holders, World Champions and the Number One cricket team in World Cricket.
beefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 08:02   #262
Corbo 60
Posting God
 
Corbo 60's Avatar
'Blue Blistering Barnacles.'
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In Limbo.
Team(s): Norwich City Kent CCC
Posts: 11,875
Normal England service resumed..Bell rushing home sums it up.
__________________
I was dreaming I was awake, then I woke up and found I was asleep.
Corbo 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 08:14   #263
Minor Maggie
Buttleresque
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Lancashire, England
Posts: 26,698
Patel bowling himself out of the team?
Minor Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 08:38   #264
cabinboy
Posting God
 
cabinboy's Avatar
Do Gooder
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 13,186
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor Maggie View Post
Patel bowling himself out of the team?
Good. He shouldn't be anywhere near the squad.

I can't see us winning a test with this eleven.
cabinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 08:46   #265
Midnight
Legendary
 
Midnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Australia
Posts: 8,039
Good fightback by Cook and Prior but disappointing for England because it wasn't really a minefield. They seem to get psyched out by the mere thought of spin. Well done Pujara.
Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 09:01   #266
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 23,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by beefy View Post
Absolutely rediculous batting from Swann. Another wicket gifted. Our batsman just don't seem to value their wickets whatsoeover, it's been Kamikaze batting.

76 lead with a little partnership building they should have been looking to build another 50 on top of it and anything could have happened. Just brainless cricket from England.
I wouldn't blame Swann too much because he isn't actually a batsman, merely someone who can from time to time actually score a fair few runs rather quickly. He will get out quickly if defending too much because he's not got much of a defence. That said his overuse of the reverse slash did for him. Blame goes with both the bowlers and the batsmen in the first innings overall, too many of them not up to the task.
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 09:54   #267
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 42,004
Not a good idea for Stuart Broad on twitter to have a go at criticism from ex-players when England haven't won a series in India for 28 years. Shouldn't go anywhere near twitter straight after losiing a match and especially not when you're the vice-captain.
__________________
As balanced and focused as the next man
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 10:22   #268
paulsre
World Class
 
paulsre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In a class 101 Met Cam time machine to the past
Team(s): Stockholm Taverners CC, County cricket, MCCU cricket, England, Scarborough CC, Swedish cricket
Posts: 5,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
I wouldn't blame Swann too much because he isn't actually a batsman, merely someone who can from time to time actually score a fair few runs rather quickly. He will get out quickly if defending too much because he's not got much of a defence. That said his overuse of the reverse slash did for him.
I certainly wouldn't blame him, but he is a capable batsman, with 4 hundreds and 35 50s, able to bat for long periods. He has a perfectly capable defence.

I understand that at that stage they felt a need to get a bit of a move on, but there is no need to try and play in a way that makes Headingley 81 look cautious.
paulsre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 10:30   #269
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 18,739
I love broad's tweets from this morning. He should name people cough nick knight cough. Broad has a better test record with the bat than nick knight.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 10:36   #270
3hard
International Material
 
3hard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Adelaide
Team(s): The mighty redbacks.
Posts: 1,892
I see on cricinfo Dhoni having a bit of a swipe at the umpires, and probably fair enough by all reports. Now if there was only some system of actually improving the quality of decisions made in a test.
__________________
Quote:
"Yet your argument is that of a retarded 11 year old, who is also crippled."
3hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 10:37   #271
jim howard
Club Cricketer
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: stafford,staffordshire.
Team(s): warwickshire and england.
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
One argument could be that Monty's accuracy and reliability might perform a holding role, making it more difficult for the Indian batsmen to score freely and thus create pressure 'at the other end'. And despite a strike rate in excess of 100, when Panesar has taken wickets in India, they've predominantly been players in the top half of the order - of his ten wickets, he has Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman, Yuvraj, Jaffer, Kaif and Dhoni (x2).

So, while he's never going to bowl India out, he arguably offers a more useful support role than some of the other candidates - ie keeping it tight and landing the occasional heavy blow. That's not to say I'm overly convinced.
jim howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 10:54   #272
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 23,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsre View Post
I certainly wouldn't blame him, but he is a capable batsman, with 4 hundreds and 35 50s, able to bat for long periods. He has a perfectly capable defence.

I understand that at that stage they felt a need to get a bit of a move on, but there is no need to try and play in a way that makes Headingley 81 look cautious.
By first class standards he's a good no8 maybe even a number 7 on a good day, at test match level a better than average no.9. I'm not disagreeing with you on the choice of shot, just suggesting that he isn't going to last very long trying to block for an extended length of time as he is most comfortable playing shots. The pitch was starting to misbehave on the 5th day with the balls that got Prior and Cook showing variable bounce.
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 10:59   #273
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 42,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
I love broad's tweets from this morning. He should name people cough nick knight cough. Broad has a better test record with the bat than nick knight.
Irrelevant. It was a stupid comment to make. England are feeling sore after the defeat. The last thing they should be doing is going on twitter and sounding off about it like sulky teenagers.

Just one more indicator that Broad was the worst possible choice for vice-captain.
__________________
As balanced and focused as the next man
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 11:22   #274
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 10,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
Good fightback by Cook and Prior but disappointing for England because it wasn't really a minefield. They seem to get psyched out by the mere thought of spin. Well done Pujara.
I think scoreboard pressure had a lot to do with it as well. We need to take catches and not pick 3 medium-fast seamers who aren't going to get the ball off straight to have any chance of keeping them below 500. Then we need a strong opening partnership to settle the fragile middle order. Even so, before the series I thought anything less than a 4-0 defeat would be a relatively decent result for this side.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 11:26   #275
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 10,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3hard View Post
I see on cricinfo Dhoni having a bit of a swipe at the umpires, and probably fair enough by all reports. Now if there was only some system of actually improving the quality of decisions made in a test.
Ridiculous isn't it?
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 11:30   #276
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 18,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer View Post
Irrelevant. It was a stupid comment to make. England are feeling sore after the defeat. The last thing they should be doing is going on twitter and sounding off about it like sulky teenagers.

Just one more indicator that Broad was the worst possible choice for vice-captain.
People complain about boring interviews and people never saying what they think but then complain when they do. It makes everything much more interesting.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 11:33   #277
Kim
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
I think scoreboard pressure had a lot to do with it as well. We need to take catches and not pick 3 medium-fast seamers who aren't going to get the ball off straight to have any chance of keeping them below 500. Then we need a strong opening partnership to settle the fragile middle order. Even so, before the series I thought anything less than a 4-0 defeat would be a relatively decent result for this side.
They were comprehensively outbowled by Yadav and Zaheer which, for me, was possibly the most dissapointing aspect of the match.

Heaven help us if we get on a pitch with a bit of pace and bounce to help the spinners.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 11:40   #278
slop
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): South Africa
Age: 41
Posts: 18,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
Ridiculous isn't it?
India should also take a look at their own appealing. It's one thing getting excited and even pushing the boundaries when a close or plumb decision is not given. But some of the decisions they were appealing in this test has been the most ridiculous I've seen since the Aussies of 00's perfected their coordinated efforts. Balls pitching outside leg, some even turning further down leg, or balls pitching miles outside offstump and never turning enough to get near. Guys at short leg looking dumbfounded that an lbw is turned down. I saw one yesterday, pitched about 2 foot outside leg, turned in a bit, nowhere near bat or stumps and the bowler ooing and ahing like he had just missed out (on what would have been a rival to Warne's Gatting ball).

Obviously, the umpire has to take each appeal on its merits, but who are they expecting will take their complaints seriously?
slop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 11:40   #279
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 10,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
They were comprehensively outbowled by Yadav and Zaheer which, for me, was possibly the most dissapointing aspect of the match.

Heaven help us if we get on a pitch with a bit of pace and bounce to help the spinners.
The difference was that the Indian spinners were being used as the main wicket-taking threat allowing Dhoni to use the seamers whenever he wanted to change things up. I don't mind us being not as good as them in these conditions, it's when we completely ignore the way India play and decide we'll take them on using the same old tried and tested formula that annoys me.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 11:49   #280
Summer of '77
World Class
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 7,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
People complain about boring interviews and people never saying what they think but then complain when they do. It makes everything much more interesting.
I tend to agree; I miss the days when Ian Chappell and Tony Greig would say the first thing that came into their heads when interviewed - as opposed to "y'know, we'll try to execute our skills, y'know".

But I'd prefer Broad & co to do that in interviews rather than through tweets, which I find resembles people throwing stones from behind a wall (although 10,000 tweeters might soon find that wall offers less protection than they thought).
Summer of '77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:28.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org