Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > The Kim Jones Domestic Cricket Forum
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th March 2017, 13:01   #661
gmdf
County Pro
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by leicsfan View Post
The club have issued a statement denying any knowledge of the player.


Seems the Court was, ahem, 'misled'!
gmdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 13:52   #662
Arachibutyrophobic
International Material
 
Arachibutyrophobic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,508
I knew it was nonsense when they described Leicestershire as a top British club.
Arachibutyrophobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 14:28   #663
WeAreKent
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 838
People far to hasty in jumping to conclusions.

It seems the answer is relatively simple and is down to confusion between the county league and the county club.

The conspiracy theorists will no doubt claim the confusion was deliberate but it is understandable, particularly among non-followers of the game who would not understand the difference between Leics County Cricket Club (LCCC) and Leics County Cricket League (LCCL).

The league was recently renamed the Leicester and Rutland Cricket League (L&RCL) which lessens the confusion, but only marginally for someone who knows nothing about cricket.
WeAreKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 15:00   #664
CDogg16
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 4,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreKent View Post
People far to hasty in jumping to conclusions.

It seems the answer is relatively simple and is down to confusion between the county league and the county club.

The conspiracy theorists will no doubt claim the confusion was deliberate but it is understandable, particularly among non-followers of the game who would not understand the difference between Leics County Cricket Club (LCCC) and Leics County Cricket League (LCCL).

The league was recently renamed the Leicester and Rutland Cricket League (L&RCL) which lessens the confusion, but only marginally for someone who knows nothing about cricket.
Has the standard for journalists sunk so low that it's too much to ask them to research what they are writing about?
CDogg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 15:06   #665
WeAreKent
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDogg16 View Post
Has the standard for journalists sunk so low that it's too much to ask them to research what they are writing about?
The journalist reported the court proceedings. The issue is whether the court was confused or misled, not the journalist.

It is journalists such as Marina Hyde on The Guardian and Lizzy Ammon who have brought the issue to light.
WeAreKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2017, 19:00   #666
CDogg16
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 4,000
Not a strong start from the Foxes today. Basil Akram, once of Essex did most of the damage for Loughborough.
CDogg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 14:30   #667
Fred
County Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDogg16 View Post
Not a strong start from the Foxes today. Basil Akram, once of Essex did most of the damage for Loughborough.
but congratulations to Gavin Griffiths on his fc debut and taking his first fc wicket.
Fred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2017, 15:40   #668
CDogg16
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 4,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
but congratulations to Gavin Griffiths on his fc debut and taking his first fc wicket.
If they are undecided on their XI then Gritthis may have forced himself into the side.
CDogg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 18:57   #669
Runningfox
Backyard Cricketer
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Team(s): Leicestershire , England
Posts: 98
Great start to the season for LCCC.According to EMTV news just now, 16 point deduction,Cosgrove banned for one game,Shreck banned for two. Misdemeanours in the game vs Loughborough last week quoted as the reason
Runningfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 19:32   #670
WeAreKent
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningfox View Post
Great start to the season for LCCC.According to EMTV news just now, 16 point deduction,Cosgrove banned for one game,Shreck banned for two. Misdemeanours in the game vs Loughborough last week quoted as the reason

Not solely for last week's game. Repeated offences and Cosgrove was in charge every time, so has to carry the can.

Shreck is an absolute headcase. He's 39 years old and at his age abusing a bunch of 18 year old students is sociopathic.

Saw a bit of him close up when he was at Kent and I don't think I've ever come across such a Jekyll and Hyde character. Gentle giant off the pitch and a foul-mouthed, snarling maniac on it.
WeAreKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 19:43   #671
Summer of '77
Legendary
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 8,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreKent View Post
Shreck is an absolute headcase. He's 39 years old and at his age abusing a bunch of 18 year old students is sociopathic.

Saw a bit of him close up when he was at Kent and I don't think I've ever come across such a Jekyll and Hyde character. Gentle giant off the pitch and a foul-mouthed, snarling maniac on it.
Not an entirely unusual trait amongst pace bowlers.

Not so common amongst middle-aged trundlers, though.
Summer of '77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 19:56   #672
WeAreKent
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
Not an entirely unusual trait amongst pace bowlers.
Are you referring to the days when we played together and I opened the bowling, S o '77? lol...

if so I confess to a touch of pot calling kettle in the above post (although if I rivalled Charlie in stupidly misplaced over-aggression on the pitch, sadly I fear I never matched his charm and gentleness off it!)

But seriously. What the hell did he think he was doing against a bunch of kids of whom he was old enough to be father?

If I was Wasim Khan I'd send him on gardening leave for the rest of the season and then give him his P45.
WeAreKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 20:02   #673
gmdf
County Pro
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 624
I wasn't at the Leicester game, but I saw Charlie a few times at Kent (& also a time or two at Notts). I always thought him a fine bowler.

I suspect he is, in cricketing career terms, 'raging against the dying of the light'.
gmdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 20:40   #674
WeAreKent
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdf View Post
I wasn't at the Leicester game, but I saw Charlie a few times at Kent (& also a time or two at Notts). I always thought him a fine bowler.

I suspect he is, in cricketing career terms, 'raging against the dying of the light'.
But he was always like that. He has the worst disciplinary record of anybody currently playing county cricket.

He received a three point penalty for his behaviour at Canterbury last season when he was playing for Leics against his old county, which took him to nine disciplinary pts.

Sorry, gmdf, but there is no point in making excuses for him. He's a headcase and always has been.
WeAreKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 20:44   #675
gmdf
County Pro
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreKent View Post
But he was always like that. He has the worst disciplinary record of anybody currently playing county cricket.

He received a three point penalty for his behaviour at Canterbury last season when he was playing for Leics against his old county, which took him to nine disciplinary pts.

Sorry, gmdf, but there is no point in making excuses for him. He's a headcase and always has been.

Less making excuses and more looking for explanations. I don't find 'he's a headcase' really tells me anything...
gmdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 21:17   #676
WeAreKent
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 838
Yeah, that figures. You have an unrivalled reputation across cricket forums as a self-regarding know-all who cannot be told anything !
WeAreKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2017, 07:54   #677
gmdf
County Pro
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreKent View Post
Yeah, that figures. You have an unrivalled reputation across cricket forums as a self-regarding know-all who cannot be told anything !
That's a bit rich!

Coming from someone who also likes to dish out abuse right, left and centre to anyone who dares disagree with his offerings!

And at least I use the same name, one simply derived from my own name (rather than hiding under aliases - though maybe given the things you post, the need for anonymity is pretty clear to see! )
gmdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2017, 08:04   #678
gmdf
County Pro
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
Not an entirely unusual trait amongst pace bowlers.

Not so common amongst middle-aged trundlers, though.
I have no problem with the sanctions against Charlie, but the jibe 'middle-aged trundler' is a bit unfair...Well, not the middle-aged bit, perhaps, but 'trundler'?

I agree his pace isn't what it was, but last season he still managed a pretty good pace for a (then) 38 year old. And his record over his career (576 wickets @ 31) is impressive for a man whose career didn't start until he was in his mid-20s.

In fact there have been other bowlers with less impressive career figures who have got an international call up - Darren Pattinson, for example (171 @ 32), Jimmy Ormond (448 @ 30) or Sajid Mahgmood (329 @ 32).
gmdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2017, 11:01   #679
Runningfox
Backyard Cricketer
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Team(s): Leicestershire , England
Posts: 98
What I haven't seen so far is confirmation from LCCC about his two match ban ?
Is this mandatory for the points he has accumulated ? The 5000 fine is about last season's profit gone!
I have to agree that his age he should no better,especially his recent outburst in what was only ever a warm up match
Runningfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2017, 11:17   #680
paulsre
World Class
 
paulsre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In a class 101 Met Cam time machine to the past
Team(s): Stockholm Taverners CC, County cricket, MCCU cricket, England, Scarborough CC, Swedish cricket
Posts: 5,975
Unfortunately I think if a person is prone to losing it they can't switch it off according to the type of match - it's a character trait. In fact quite a lot of the worst behaviour seems to occur in 2s matches.
paulsre is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 16:08.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org