Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th September 2017, 07:24   #1
Rebelstar
International Material
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,716
The Ashes in Australia 2017/18

Fixtures

WARM UP MATCHES

8th Nov 2017
Cricket Australia XI vs England (Adelaide)

15th Nov 2017
Cricket Australia XI vs England (Townsville)

9th Dec 2017
Cricket Australia XI vs England (Venue TBC)

10th Jan 2018 (Limited Overs)
Cricket Australia XI vs England (Venue TBC)

1st Feb 2018 (T20)
Prime Minister's XI vs England (Melbourne)

TESTS

23rd Nov 2017
Australia vs England (Brisbane)

2nd Dec 2017
Australia vs England (Adelaide)

14th Dec 2017
Australia vs England (Perth)

25th Dec 2017
Australia vs England (Melbourne)

3rd Jan 2018
Australia vs England (Sydney)

ODIs

14th Jan 2018
Australia vs England (Melbourne)

19th Jan 2018
Australia vs England (Brisbane)

21st Jan 2018
Australia vs England (Sydney)

26th Jan 2018
Australia vs England (Adelaide)

28th Jan 2018
Australia vs England (Venue TBC)

T20Is

7th Feb 2018
Australia vs England (Hobart)

10th Feb 2018
Australia vs England (Melbourne)

Then 13th Feb to 29th March 2018 is the England tour of New Zealand, a mere 3 days later
Rebelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2017, 07:25   #2
Rebelstar
International Material
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,716
Bayliss does not expect new faces in Ashes squad

"I can't see us going outside of the people that have played in the last 12 to 18 months," said Bayliss.

"There are two or three positions that will probably take more time than the others to decide on, but I'm sure it will come from that group."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41213905
Rebelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2017, 08:49   #3
Psyduck
Posting God
 
Psyduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester
Team(s): England, Lancashire, Man Utd
Posts: 16,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelstar View Post
Bayliss does not expect new faces in Ashes squad

"I can't see us going outside of the people that have played in the last 12 to 18 months," said Bayliss.

"There are two or three positions that will probably take more time than the others to decide on, but I'm sure it will come from that group."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41213905
Whilst we must remember that Bayliss is only one of the selectors it does suggest that Buttler will go as the reserve keeper. I think Stoneman and Malan will go but I expect Ballance will replace Malan in the XI. I'd be surprised if Westley was selected but I have no idea who will bat at 3.
Psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2017, 07:33   #4
DanielVettoriSpin
International Cricketer
 
DanielVettoriSpin's Avatar
DeviousVettoriSpin plots the downfall of another unfortunate
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wellington, NZ
Team(s): New Zealand, Essex & England
Posts: 2,681
Send a message via Yahoo to DanielVettoriSpin
I'll be heading to the Melbourne test if anyone else is heading over.
__________________
Supporting
Essex County Cricket Club, Wellington, Peter Such and Iain O'Brien
DanielVettoriSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2017, 08:43   #5
cabinboy
Posting God
 
cabinboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 13,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielVettoriSpin View Post
I'll be heading to the Melbourne test if anyone else is heading over.
I had hoped to be over then but looks unlikely. Mind you Australia should have the series win nailed by Melbourne.
cabinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2017, 10:22   #6
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 830 Cummins 149 Wagner 147 TCurran 21 SCurran 9
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,866
See that Australia got 10 100s to England's 1 (Stokes) in the last Ashes series.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2017, 10:26   #7
Bestie
International Material
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Exeter
Posts: 1,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
See that Australia got 10 100s to England's 1 (Stokes) in the last Ashes series.
Down under presumably the missing caveat. Certainly don't recall that happening when they toured us!
Bestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2017, 10:46   #8
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 830 Cummins 149 Wagner 147 TCurran 21 SCurran 9
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestie View Post
Down under presumably the missing caveat. Certainly don't recall that happening when they toured us!
It was Aus 3 England 8 the previous time that England were there, when they rotated their bowlers.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2017, 07:36   #9
Rebelstar
International Material
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,716
So assuming the following will go :

Cook
Root
Stokes
Bairstow
Ali
Woakes
Roland-Jones
Broad
Anderson

Leaves doubts over batsmen mostly. Players not in the above but playing in relevant series:

WIN - Stoneman, Westley, Malan
SAF - Jennings, Ballance, Dawson, Wood
IND - Hameed, Duckett, Buttler, Rashid, Ball, Batty
BAN - Finn
PAK - Hales, Vince
SRL - Compton

So there's the opponents of the last 18 months and working from most recent to oldest the players who that opens up to selection. Only players not in a more recent squad, and not listed as assumed to go, are added

Pretty much means his statement isn't as worrying as it comes across as there are TEN discarded batsmen across those 18 months, although the fact that there are that many shows England haven't solved many batting problems in that time.

Buttler must be a shoe in, we may well see Hales and Hameed return, and probably a quick or two out of Finn, Wood and Ball.

I didn't include Ansari cause he's packed it in. Should we be worried England have selected 27 different players in only 18 months....? Fair dos one was a tour to Bangladesh and then to India, but that is two and a half teams.

I think this has the makings of 0-2 down by Perth
Rebelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2017, 10:11   #10
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 18,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelstar View Post
So assuming the following will go :

Cook
Root
Stokes
Bairstow
Ali
Woakes
Roland-Jones
Broad
Anderson

Leaves doubts over batsmen mostly. Players not in the above but playing in relevant series:

WIN - Stoneman, Westley, Malan
SAF - Jennings, Ballance, Dawson, Wood
IND - Hameed, Duckett, Buttler, Rashid, Ball, Batty
BAN - Finn
PAK - Hales, Vince
SRL - Compton

So there's the opponents of the last 18 months and working from most recent to oldest the players who that opens up to selection. Only players not in a more recent squad, and not listed as assumed to go, are added

Pretty much means his statement isn't as worrying as it comes across as there are TEN discarded batsmen across those 18 months, although the fact that there are that many shows England haven't solved many batting problems in that time.

Buttler must be a shoe in, we may well see Hales and Hameed return, and probably a quick or two out of Finn, Wood and Ball.

I didn't include Ansari cause he's packed it in. Should we be worried England have selected 27 different players in only 18 months....? Fair dos one was a tour to Bangladesh and then to India, but that is two and a half teams.

I think this has the makings of 0-2 down by Perth
Three options clearly not going to go, which still leaves plenty of options. Can't rule out any of the others entirely.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2017, 10:08   #11
Zebroston Chase
Not Lara or Chanderpaul but the best you've got
 
Zebroston Chase's Avatar
When Hope is gone, I will appear.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Glasgow
Team(s): AFC Hornchurch, Essex, England
Age: 34
Posts: 18,509
I expect Hameed will go as reserve opener and then slot in at 3 if/when Ballance, Westley fail.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Druid Nathan Barley View Post
I'm fully aware of his thinking, which merely underlines the point that he's an idiot.
Zebroston Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2017, 12:30   #12
blackeyedangles
County 1st Team
 
blackeyedangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 410
Gary Ballance will make the squad. He shouldn't be in the squad, but he will make the squad - and probably get called up when we're 3-0 down.

Let's have a look at the likely Australian side, too. Ozzies haven't played a Test at home / in non-spinning conditions since Jan. You imagine players like Ashton Agar and O'Keefe who have featured in recent matches will be left out unless the track's a turner, so their side will probably be:

Renshaw (18 innings, 623 at 36.7)
Warner
Smith
Khawaja (42 innings, 1728 at 45.5)
Handscomb (19 innings, 743 at 53)
Maxwell (26 w/bat, 42 w/ball in Tests) / Cartwright (only played two tests) (??)
Wade (avg 28.6 but a string of single-figure scores) (??)
Cummins
Starc
Hazlewood
Lyon


Maxi (Big Show/No Show) and Wade have the biggest question marks around them due to the fact that neither has performed consistently and both have viable replacements vying to get in the team. In Wade's case Handscomb who is in better form with the bat could keep wicket for him.

If you match them person for person, I wouldn't say it looks great.

Renshaw is more established in the side than our non-hero opener.
Warner in Australia you'd *probably* take over Cook in Australia.
Steve Smith vs... Westley? is no contest
You'd take Joe Root over Khawaja or whoever else they put at 4
Handscomb is new but far more established than Malan
Stokes is better than Maxwell / replacement all-rounder
Jonny Bairstow is probably better than Wade although as the Deathwatch List reminds us, 99 is no 100...
Ali vs Cummins - difficult match-up because of Ali's batting but in Oz conditions you'd have to hand it to Cummins.
Starc will be better in Australia than Toblerone or Woakes, no shame in that.
Broad probably edges it over Hazlewood
and Jimmy you'd take over Lyon.

Of course, if you compare the spinners, Lyon is a better spinner than Ali but can't bat.

So, depending on how you feel, around 5 players in the England lineup might be expected to exceed their counterparts in form. Good enough?

This said, I saw a similar lineup done re: Oz in Eng 2015 that argued Oz were better player-for-player and how did that work out
blackeyedangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2017, 10:40   #13
Sir Coolerking
County Pro
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackeyedangles View Post
Renshaw (18 innings, 623 at 36.7)
Warner
Smith
Khawaja (42 innings, 1728 at 45.5)
Handscomb (19 innings, 743 at 53)
Maxwell (26 w/bat, 42 w/ball in Tests) / Cartwright (only played two tests) (??)
Wade (avg 28.6 but a string of single-figure scores) (??)
Cummins
Starc
Hazlewood
Lyon
It'll be interesting to see if the Aussies can put out that fast bowling attack in Brisbane.

Starc - Still recovering from stress fracture, could return in ODI's against India.
Hazlewood - Picked up a side strain in Bangladesh. Using Woakes as an indicator, it's touch and go if he makes Brisbane and would certainly not be 100%.
Pattinson - Injured again.
Cummins - An injury waiting to happen.

As for the keeper, I can't see them giving the gloves to Handscombe as he's become too important for them at 5. Wade is a glaring weakness now and there are no obvious replacements either.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2017, 10:56   #14
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 24,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
It'll be interesting to see if the Aussies can put out that fast bowling attack in Brisbane.

Starc - Still recovering from stress fracture, could return in ODI's against India.
Hazlewood - Picked up a side strain in Bangladesh. Using Woakes as an indicator, it's touch and go if he makes Brisbane and would certainly not be 100%.
Pattinson - Injured again.
Cummins - An injury waiting to happen.

As for the keeper, I can't see them giving the gloves to Handscombe as he's become too important for them at 5. Wade is a glaring weakness now and there are no obvious replacements either.
I think it is generally accepted by fans on here that if Australia have a pace attack close to full strength that they will win comfortably. However that appears to be quite a big if. Cummins is a real big talent though, possibly the biggest that they've had for some time IMO.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2017, 12:36   #15
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 18,823
Well I wonder if the real selection meeting will be as farcical as the Sky run through.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2017, 13:10   #16
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 42,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Well I wonder if the real selection meeting will be as farcical as the Sky run through.
I kept wondering when/if they were going to mention Hameed. Didn't enter into the run-down of batsmen who might actually play, nor in the discussion about squad players. Just a brief mention by Atherton right at the end of the show that he might feature in the Lions.

Jennings was mentioned, and his century in India, along with the fact that he's had a rough time this year. But given that Hameed was the first new partner for Cook who appeared to be the man England needed, I'm surprised he was given no consideration at all - no thoughts on why he's had such a poor season, how he seems on the way back with an 80 odd in the last game; whether he could be in the squad as reserve opener or on the Lions tour. So much discussion about Hales; and support for Essex man Westley from Essex man Hussain.
__________________
As balanced and focused as the next man
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2017, 13:37   #17
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 830 Cummins 149 Wagner 147 TCurran 21 SCurran 9
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer View Post
I kept wondering when/if they were going to mention Hameed. Didn't enter into the run-down of batsmen who might actually play, nor in the discussion about squad players. Just a brief mention by Atherton right at the end of the show that he might feature in the Lions.

Jennings was mentioned, and his century in India, along with the fact that he's had a rough time this year. But given that Hameed was the first new partner for Cook who appeared to be the man England needed, I'm surprised he was given no consideration at all - no thoughts on why he's had such a poor season, how he seems on the way back with an 80 odd in the last game; whether he could be in the squad as reserve opener or on the Lions tour. So much discussion about Hales; and support for Essex man Westley from Essex man Hussain.
Botham - anyone from Durham or Somerset - Stoneman, Jennings, Wood, Leach
Warne - anyone from Hants - Crane. Did I hear him say Vince? We would play 2 spinners in all Tests
Hussain - Essex
Atherton - Hales, his favourite and a Lancs mention of Hameed
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2017, 13:42   #18
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 18,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer View Post
I kept wondering when/if they were going to mention Hameed. Didn't enter into the run-down of batsmen who might actually play, nor in the discussion about squad players. Just a brief mention by Atherton right at the end of the show that he might feature in the Lions.

Jennings was mentioned, and his century in India, along with the fact that he's had a rough time this year. But given that Hameed was the first new partner for Cook who appeared to be the man England needed, I'm surprised he was given no consideration at all - no thoughts on why he's had such a poor season, how he seems on the way back with an 80 odd in the last game; whether he could be in the squad as reserve opener or on the Lions tour. So much discussion about Hales; and support for Essex man Westley from Essex man Hussain.
Well it was a silly discussion, poorly chaired. Why the English seem to equate being posh with being a good chair, I have no idea. I sympathised with Warne who looked like he might walk out at one point.

I believe Hameed has a good chance of going if he plays well between now and the end of the season. I guess Crane has also been omitted from the LOI squads to get some overs in for Hampshire and will be similarly judged depending on his returns. Reckon Dawson is the next option, ahead of Rashid. And if we are to believe Bayliss, then Foakes has no chance, but then Bayliss may be overruled. I thought it odd that Buttler was seen as a utility player by the pundits whereas Foakes, who averages 40 in f/c cricket was seen as a specialist gloveman.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2017, 14:00   #19
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 42,355
Surely the selectors can't fail to be lured by the Stokes-Foakes-Woakes fantasy-team-come-true option?
__________________
As balanced and focused as the next man
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2017, 14:12   #20
Comte Nom de Plume
County 1st Team
 
Comte Nom de Plume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Gloucestershire
Team(s): Worcs and Yorks CCCs
Posts: 449
In as much as the real selectors get a lot of hammer, one has to be relieved that the Sky crew don't make the decisions. Wot a shower.
Comte Nom de Plume is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:02.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© Cricket247.org