Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th December 2020, 08:15   #1
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 24,819
South Africa v Sri Lanka test series

Lankans bat up against a very unfamiliar South African bowling unit.

Ngidi, debutant Sipamla, Nortje, all-rounder Mulder and Maharaj. Just 35 wickets from 12 matches combined from the quicks.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2020, 09:03   #2
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 24,819
Garbage first hour. Terrible batting and bowling, Nortje aside, as the Lankans reach 54/3.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2020, 09:53   #3
MRNC4.0
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 3,462
South Africa, on paper, still look a very solid side. How are they so bad?
MRNC4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2020, 11:23   #4
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 24,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRNC4.0 View Post
South Africa, on paper, still look a very solid side. How are they so bad?
I think they look terrible on paper. Unsurprisingly, someone has picked on the African Sipamla, but there's plenty of white trash in the side too.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2020, 11:37   #5
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 26,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
I think they look terrible on paper. Unsurprisingly, someone has picked on the African Sipamla, but there's plenty of white trash in the side too.
Their batting is garbage and has got progressively worse over the last five years or so. They have some quick bowling talent although Rabada being injured is a blow for them. Perhaps with the end of Kolpak they will stop losing some good players to county cricket.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More

Last edited by Chin Music : 26th December 2020 at 14:29. Reason: Rabada not Ngidi doh!
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2020, 12:02   #6
square leg umpire
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 10,452
What's happened to Rabada?
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2020, 12:37   #7
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 12,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by square leg umpire View Post
What's happened to Rabada?
I seem to remember him getting injured against England and said he would be out til the new year.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2020, 13:04   #8
MRNC4.0
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 3,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
I think they look terrible on paper. Unsurprisingly, someone has picked on the African Sipamla, but there's plenty of white trash in the side too.
Akram & Elgar could/should be the best opening pair in test cricket, and there are worse middle orders than Faf, QDK & Bavuma, who are all at least experienced. It's 7 down where it starts to break/have a genuine unknown quantity about it.
MRNC4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2020, 14:55   #9
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 24,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRNC4.0 View Post
Akram & Elgar could/should be the best opening pair in test cricket, and there are worse middle orders than Faf, QDK & Bavuma, who are all at least experienced. It's 7 down where it starts to break/have a genuine unknown quantity about it.
Hmm. Markram has done the square root of **** all since the Sandpaper Series. I have a lot of respect for Elgar but suspect he's now past his peak, while Faf is almost at the bottom of his decent. Bavuma averages 30 in test cricket while van de Dussen is so bad at playing spin that watching him face Joe Root brought back memories of Cullinan against Warne. De Kock is class, but like almost all keeper batsmen, he can't be the mainstay of a batting lineup.

Anyhow, first test wicket for Sipamla.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2020, 17:48   #10
Rebelstar
Established International
 
Rebelstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Hmm. Markram has done the square root of **** all since the Sandpaper Series. I have a lot of respect for Elgar but suspect he's now past his peak, while Faf is almost at the bottom of his decent. Bavuma averages 30 in test cricket while van de Dussen is so bad at playing spin that watching him face Joe Root brought back memories of Cullinan against Warne. De Kock is class, but like almost all keeper batsmen, he can't be the mainstay of a batting lineup.

Anyhow, first test wicket for Sipamla.
Maybe they need to play De Kock as a batsman and give the gloves to someone else.

Do like Bavuma, doesn't make most of what starts he gets and made 13 fifties but only made one hundred (102) - so basically makes a fifty every 5th or so innings, but only a hundred every 67.

He did have a purple patch in the current middle of his career, started with 7 innings, 145 runs @ 20.71 in 2014 and 2015, then made 1409 runs @ 37.08 between 2016 and 2018, before reverting to more modest scoring with 291 runs @ 19.40 in the past two years....

Most certainly doesn't like playing India or Sri Lanka, 56 runs @ 14.00 last time Sri Lanka toured and 21 @ 4.20 the previous time...., India maybe less surprising lack of runs in India
Rebelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2020, 02:41   #11
MRNC4.0
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 3,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Hmm. Markram has done the square root of **** all since the Sandpaper Series. I have a lot of respect for Elgar but suspect he's now past his peak, while Faf is almost at the bottom of his decent. Bavuma averages 30 in test cricket while van de Dussen is so bad at playing spin that watching him face Joe Root brought back memories of Cullinan against Warne. De Kock is class, but like almost all keeper batsmen, he can't be the mainstay of a batting lineup.

Anyhow, first test wicket for Sipamla.
Akram 95
Elgar 68
Faf 199
Bavuma 71...

I'll pay you Dussen, however.
MRNC4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2020, 10:52   #12
Sir Coolerking
World Class
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 6,223
Other than fulfilling a quota, I have no idea what Sipamla is doing in this side. I'm not sure he'd be in an average Div 2 County team.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2020, 10:55   #13
MRNC4.0
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 3,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
Other than fulfilling a quota, I have no idea what Sipamla is doing in this side. I'm not sure he'd be in an average Div 2 County team.
Who's he keeping out though, Pretiorious? Who's as equally gentle. edit, I see Hendricks is in the squad. Odd omission.
MRNC4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2020, 17:51   #14
Rebelstar
Established International
 
Rebelstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
Other than fulfilling a quota, I have no idea what Sipamla is doing in this side. I'm not sure he'd be in an average Div 2 County team.
I have looked at Zimbabwe's bowlers in the past wondering how many of them play(ed) regularly, simple answer is a lack of anything better in their case although can't imagine South Africa are that bereft of options.
Rebelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2020, 12:21   #15
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 24,819
Unfortunate injury for Dhananjaya with him well set for a century.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2020, 09:02   #16
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 24,819
Sri Lanka end on 396/9, with the injured Dhananjaya out for the series. Apparent club bowler Sipamla finishes as pick of the bowlers with 4/76.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2020, 21:10   #17
square leg umpire
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 10,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Sri Lanka end on 396/9, with the injured Dhananjaya out for the series. Apparent club bowler Sipamla finishes as pick of the bowlers with 4/76.
He was the only bowler who got his length right.
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2020, 09:20   #18
Sir Coolerking
World Class
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 6,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Sri Lanka end on 396/9, with the injured Dhananjaya out for the series. Apparent club bowler Sipamla finishes as pick of the bowlers with 4/76.
Did you watch any of it? His first 8 overs were abysmal and went for over 50 (could easily have been more). However, credit to him in coming back well and cleaning up the tail.

Looks like the key moment in the match was the injury to Dhananjaya.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2020, 10:32   #19
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 24,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
Did you watch any of it? His first 8 overs were abysmal and went for over 50 (could easily have been more). However, credit to him in coming back well and cleaning up the tail.

Looks like the key moment in the match was the injury to Dhananjaya.
Yes, he was trash in his first couple of spells. Wouldn't be the first debutant bowler to struggle. I recall Hardus Viljoen debuting against England a few years back after a strong domestic season. He went for about 5 an over, despite taking Cook's wicket first ball and never played another test match.

No one suggested he was selected because of the colour of his skin.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2020, 09:35   #20
Sir Coolerking
World Class
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 6,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Yes, he was trash in his first couple of spells. Wouldn't be the first debutant bowler to struggle. I recall Hardus Viljoen debuting against England a few years back after a strong domestic season. He went for about 5 an over, despite taking Cook's wicket first ball and never played another test match.

No one suggested he was selected because of the colour of his skin.
Probably because S African quotas don't work like that.

Only 3 bowlers used by S Africa in the 2nd innings so far, is Sipamla going to be a tail specialist?
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:53.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org