Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd February 2021, 12:42   #1
Sir Coolerking
World Class
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 6,223
India v England First Test Chennai Feb 5th-9th

Ollie Pope now officially added to England's squad and the opening line up is being predicted as Burns, Sibley, Crawley, Root, Stokes, Pope, Buttler, Bess, Archer, Leach, Broad.

We still await confirmation on where we can watch it.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2021, 14:05   #2
Aidan11
Harmisonesque
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere cold and wet
Posts: 43,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
Ollie Pope now officially added to England's squad and the opening line up is being predicted as Burns, Sibley, Crawley, Root, Stokes, Pope, Buttler, Bess, Archer, Leach, Broad.

We still await confirmation on where we can watch it.
It's definitely C4. The Telegraph says BT & Sky did put in last minute bid but Star went with C4. Lou Bega can enjoy some more royalties now.
Aidan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2021, 14:15   #3
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 24,818
What happened to all the suggestions Mo was a shoe-in over Bess?
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2021, 14:46   #4
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 26,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
What happened to all the suggestions Mo was a shoe-in over Bess?
I've found it rather strange that a bloke who's not played first class cricket in 18 months would be such a shoe-in over a bloke who at least has been a regular for the last year or so in test cricket. That said, I can't help feeling that a couple of very poor tests for one or other of the spinners might result in changes though.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More

Last edited by Chin Music : 3rd February 2021 at 15:28.
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2021, 15:14   #5
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
What happened to all the suggestions Mo was a shoe-in over Bess?
Not sure anyone said shoe-in did they?

I agree with chin that I reckon Bess gets one bad test and dropped. Nasty business for the Devon lad.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2021, 15:52   #6
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 901 Cummins 301 SCurran 58 Jhye 39
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 22,962
@Cricket_Ali
Drama in Chennai - Zak Crawley awaiting scan results on *possible* broken wrist after fall in training

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...n-nets-cricket
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2021, 16:17   #7
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 12,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
@Cricket_Ali
Drama in Chennai - Zak Crawley awaiting scan results on *possible* broken wrist after fall in training

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...n-nets-cricket
Interesting final few paragraphs in that article:
[Moeen] may be vying for a place in the XI either way, with the England management believed to be considering his return before the Crawley injury took place, with the 33-year-old having impressed with his bowling in the nets.

Moeen’s preparations have been limited since contracting Covid-19 at the start of England’s subcontinental winter, however, and it may be that Root and the head coach, Chris Silverwood, still stick with Dom Bess for fear of long-term damage to the off-spinner’s confidence.
I would hope it comes down simply to a judgement about which of the two is likely to bowl better.
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2021, 17:19   #8
mustardcharlie
World Class
 
mustardcharlie's Avatar
You know there ain't no devil: It's just God when he's drun
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bedfordshire
Team(s): Yorkshire, England, LUFC, Otley RFC.
Age: 69
Posts: 5,377
Is Stokes fit to bowl 15 overs in a day? Is Crawley fit to bat? It is not inconceivable that we could play 3 spinners, 3 seamers and still maintain a strong 1-7 batting line up.
__________________
Answers 3d
Answers (requiring thought) 6d
Answers (correct) 1s
mustardcharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2021, 02:10   #9
MRNC4.0
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 3,461
I am crazy in thinking England are a chance here? What does a likely Indian starting XI look like?
MRNC4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2021, 05:27   #10
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRNC4.0 View Post
I am crazy in thinking England are a chance here? What does a likely Indian starting XI look like?
No, you're not. Our batting is flaky, despite the heroics in Australia. It gets slightly better with Kohli returning, but it might get negated by the decision making when he we are fielding. It is going to be two equally balanced sides against each other, and England might just manage to surprise us.

I must admit I am not sure how the final XI will look like, but I am guessing it would be something like this: Sharma, Gill, Pujara, Kohli, Rahane, Pant, Sundar, Ashwin, Ishant, Bumrah, (Kuldeep) Yadav. I read in news that Sundar might be preferred over Pandya since the latter would be unable to bowl. If this indeed turns out to be the final XI, it is rather weak in batting and England would fancy their chances. Our chances are if we can keep England out on field for about 120-130 overs or so, at least, so that we tire out the likes of Anderson and Broad.
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2021, 05:48   #11
MRNC4.0
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 3,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedMale View Post
No, you're not. Our batting is flaky, despite the heroics in Australia. It gets slightly better with Kohli returning, but it might get negated by the decision making when he we are fielding. It is going to be two equally balanced sides against each other, and England might just manage to surprise us.

I must admit I am not sure how the final XI will look like, but I am guessing it would be something like this: Sharma, Gill, Pujara, Kohli, Rahane, Pant, Sundar, Ashwin, Ishant, Bumrah, (Kuldeep) Yadav. I read in news that Sundar might be preferred over Pandya since the latter would be unable to bowl. If this indeed turns out to be the final XI, it is rather weak in batting and England would fancy their chances. Our chances are if we can keep England out on field for about 120-130 overs or so, at least, so that we tire out the likes of Anderson and Broad.

Okay that is much closer to a fully fit Indian XI than I expected. I thought a few more players might be still injured or burnt out. The return of Ishant, Bumrah and Ashwin is huge. England have to jump India and win the first test otherwise they'll get pantsed.
MRNC4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2021, 06:52   #12
Aidan11
Harmisonesque
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere cold and wet
Posts: 43,634
Zak Crawley will miss the first two test as a result of a wrist injury.
Aidan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2021, 07:48   #13
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRNC4.0 View Post
Okay that is much closer to a fully fit Indian XI than I expected. I thought a few more players might be still injured or burnt out. The return of Ishant, Bumrah and Ashwin is huge. England have to jump India and win the first test otherwise they'll get pantsed.
Bumrah will be a bit of a mystery in Indian conditions, since I think this is going to be his first home series. I guess he will still do well, but we will find that out along with the England team. Ishant is a much improved bowler than before and he should provide control and pressure from one end. Ashwin would be very effective, if the English batsmen allow him to settle down. If they successfully attack him early on, he will start trying all of those fancy variations which are rarely effective. The one bowler we'll miss in Indian conditions would be Mohd. Shami with his ability to reverse swing. There is also some saying that we might play Axar Patel in place of Washington Sundar, for the sake of variety.
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2021, 07:49   #14
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan11 View Post
Zak Crawley will miss the first two test as a result of a wrist injury.
That's tough. Who would be replacing him?
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2021, 07:54   #15
Aidan11
Harmisonesque
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere cold and wet
Posts: 43,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedMale View Post
That's tough. Who would be replacing him?
Pope would be my guess with either him or Lawrence batting at 3.
Aidan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2021, 08:19   #16
Sir Coolerking
World Class
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 6,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan11 View Post
Pope would be my guess with either him or Lawrence batting at 3.
Most likely is Lawrence 3 and Pope 6. But they could go completely left field and play either Woakes or Moeen and give themselves an extra bowling option. But do we need 6 bowlers?
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2021, 09:50   #17
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
Most likely is Lawrence 3 and Pope 6. But they could go completely left field and play either Woakes or Moeen and give themselves an extra bowling option. But do we need 6 bowlers?
I guess we'll start getting an idea by this time tomorrow. Frankly, I think having 5 bowlers would be enough, unless your all rounders are outstanding in batting.
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2021, 09:51   #18
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan11 View Post
Pope would be my guess with either him or Lawrence batting at 3.
Thank you. So, who would be the openers? Didn't Crawley open in SL?
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2021, 10:09   #19
gmdf
International Material
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedMale View Post
Thank you. So, who would be the openers? Didn't Crawley open in SL?
Burns (who missed SL) is back, so will open with Sibley.
gmdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2021, 10:39   #20
square leg umpire
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 10,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedMale View Post
Thank you. So, who would be the openers? Didn't Crawley open in SL?
Crawley opened but he's not really an opener. Wouldn't like him to open against a side with a good new ball attack.
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:32.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org