Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th December 2020, 12:49   #301
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 12,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer View Post
South Africa appear to have been somewhat slapdash in their Covid preparations. Likewise the hotel. Are not staff at the hotel under strict supervision? How did one of the hotel staff contract the virus? Do they just go home and mix with other people?

During the games in England Sky took the viewers through all the scrupulous preparations that had been made to ensure social distancing in the hotels. Tests and limited overs matches took place against 3 visiting sides and not a single positive Covid test. What kind of preparations have S.A. made? Shambolic.
It's hard to know exactly how it happened but by all accounts putting together these bubbles in the summer was very expensive even with hotels at the ground. I doubt SA cricket have quite the same resources as the ECB.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2020, 12:49   #302
Rebelstar
Established International
 
Rebelstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
So frustrating, the players must be pretty fed up by now. Having to endure bubble after bubble and then they get let down by others it seems. Let's hope they can have a decent Christmas and let their hair down a bit.
generally true though, some enduring months and months of trying their best to avoid catching the virus and their bit to reduce the spread, others more care free, stupid, naive, and prolonging it.

never did believe we'd get shot of it by washing hands, distancing and wearing masks, only half measures towards stopping it that way which would have required people staying out of contact with others and there's just too much - within as well as outside the rules.

I mean how do kids go to school, even in bubbles, and not expose the risk of spreading it to the adults in their house.....?!?!? I think from the off most in charge were placing all their hopes in a vaccine and even that may not see the back of the virus, just hope something more lethal doesn't come along because we'll see deaths like something out of a (horror type) movie.......
Rebelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2020, 12:57   #303
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 44,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
It's hard to know exactly how it happened but by all accounts putting together these bubbles in the summer was very expensive even with hotels at the ground. I doubt SA cricket have quite the same resources as the ECB.
Good point.
__________________
As balanced and focused as the next man
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2020, 20:41   #304
Aidan11
Harmisonesque
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere cold and wet
Posts: 43,634
Tomorrow's game already appears to be off. Surely they wont try to play the third match. Better off going home.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/55204076
Aidan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2020, 20:51   #305
MRNC4.0
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 3,461
Shambolic from CSA. I think it was Firdose (sp?) who said that journalist covering the game at the ground weren't even required to take covid tests prior to entering. Absolutely amateur hour. Feel sorry for the England cricketers who have to suffer their incompetence as a result.

Last edited by MRNC4.0 : 6th December 2020 at 21:03.
MRNC4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 00:12   #306
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 12,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelstar View Post
generally true though, some enduring months and months of trying their best to avoid catching the virus and their bit to reduce the spread, others more care free, stupid, naive, and prolonging it.

never did believe we'd get shot of it by washing hands, distancing and wearing masks, only half measures towards stopping it that way which would have required people staying out of contact with others and there's just too much - within as well as outside the rules.

I mean how do kids go to school, even in bubbles, and not expose the risk of spreading it to the adults in their house.....?!?!? I think from the off most in charge were placing all their hopes in a vaccine and even that may not see the back of the virus, just hope something more lethal doesn't come along because we'll see deaths like something out of a (horror type) movie.......
Scientifically the only solution would be for everyone to stay home until the vaccine came out, which isn't really a long term option. Then you have to decide what's the best way to get things as normal as possible while keeping the risk as small as possible. Unfortunately it's just not quite worked here but it is very hard to avoid anyone getting it.

I'd think a more lethal virus would have more chance of killing off its host quicker and therefore have less chance to spread. The problem with Covid is that it's often hidden away among people without them knowing and actually kills a very small proportion of people so just keeps on spreading.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 08:12   #307
Jock McTuffnel v3
Posting God
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 10,800
So the series is off - potentially without a single person on either squad or back room staff being ill.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 10:41   #308
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 44,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
So the series is off - potentially without a single person on either squad or back room staff being ill.
But players from both teams have tested positive. Right decision to call the series off.
__________________
As balanced and focused as the next man
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 10:51   #309
Sir Coolerking
World Class
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 6,223
It hasn't been called off yet as far as I can see. They're waiting for the secondary results (Tues) on the 2 members of the England party. Those with negative tests have been allowed to roam around the hotel. Still a chance for an ODI on Wed, but probably unlikely.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 10:51   #310
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 26,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer View Post
But players from both teams have tested positive. Right decision to call the series off.
I thought the suggestion was that it was England back-room staff? Even if players have it without visible symptoms, Covid can affect lung capacity. There was a story about a pro-cyclist who was meant to be a contender in one of the tours a couple of months ago, who was doing worse than anticipated and he was tested positive. Although not outwardly showing any symptoms, it was almost certain that carrying the virus affected his performance.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 12:49   #311
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 12,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
It hasn't been called off yet as far as I can see. They're waiting for the secondary results (Tues) on the 2 members of the England party. Those with negative tests have been allowed to roam around the hotel. Still a chance for an ODI on Wed, but probably unlikely.
It's been called off now.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 13:01   #312
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 901 Cummins 301 SCurran 58 Jhye 39
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 22,962
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_...9-protocols-br

'The fate of the rest of the series, which has now been reduced to two ODIs, hinges on the analysis of England's results. Should positive cases be confirmed, those infected and their close contacts will have to quarantine in South Africa for 10 days before leaving for the UK, which could impact on Big Bash and Christmas plans. If the results of the tests are negative, the series could be completed with back-to-back ODIs on Tuesday and Wednesday'.

Can't believe the 2 Tests have been sent to London to be analysed.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 13:06   #313
Jock McTuffnel v3
Posting God
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 10,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
I thought the suggestion was that it was England back-room staff? Even if players have it without visible symptoms, Covid can affect lung capacity. There was a story about a pro-cyclist who was meant to be a contender in one of the tours a couple of months ago, who was doing worse than anticipated and he was tested positive. Although not outwardly showing any symptoms, it was almost certain that carrying the virus affected his performance.
But that's where we are - the tour is off because of events which may or may not be significant - and may not even be true.

If tours are to be cancelled because there is a small risk then not many tours are going to survive.

A hole has been dug which is going to be difficult to get out of.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 13:38   #314
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 26,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
But that's where we are - the tour is off because of events which may or may not be significant - and may not even be true.

If tours are to be cancelled because there is a small risk then not many tours are going to survive.

A hole has been dug which is going to be difficult to get out of.
It clearly has more to do with the inability of SA to manage the situation where an outbreak has occurred because of not adequate segregation from others. They have 'dug the holes' here.

I don't think elite sportsmen would want to take the risk of playing with the virus. Sure they are highly unlikely to get very ill but why would they want to take that risk? The long term impacts aren't really known yet for a great many people who have recovered.

Australia are hosting India, NZ are hosting West Indies and subsequently Pakistan. It has more to do with how they (and England a few months back) managed to negate players being infected.

In NZ, Pakistan players had been infected but were sectioned off and allowed to recover. They are able to continue that tour with their t20 series starting in just over a week or so's time.

Clearly what has been put in place in SA has been pretty abject and England have been highlighting this.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 13:54   #315
Jock McTuffnel v3
Posting God
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 10,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post

Clearly what has been put in place in SA has been pretty abject and England have been highlighting this.
That may be true but it puts a huge question mark over future tours.

England have upcoming tours to Sri Lanka and then India for the world cup. These tours aren't in bio-secure bubbles.

Given the vaccines don't seem to prevent passing on the virus nor preventing those vaccinated from testing positive - where is the escape route ? Does testing stop once the teams have been vaccinated ?

None of the England team may ever get vaccines - what with being young and fit.

I wouldn't be betting against future games/tours being called off.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 14:11   #316
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 26,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
That may be true but it puts a huge question mark over future tours.

England have upcoming tours to Sri Lanka and then India for the world cup. These tours aren't in bio-secure bubbles.

Given the vaccines don't seem to prevent passing on the virus nor preventing those vaccinated from testing positive - where is the escape route ? Does testing stop once the teams have been vaccinated ?

None of the England team may ever get vaccines - what with being young and fit.

I wouldn't be betting against future games/tours being called off.
Having better protocols in place than what have been available in SA must be a good step to avoid this. I would have thought the India tour would be to the UAE to be honest.

People getting vaccinated will in itself drop that risk, even if it doesn't eliminate it. I guess it is about minimising risks. The insufficient detail in minimising risks is probably the biggest issue in SA that has led to some players of theirs having already had Covid before the t20s kicked off and more of them having tested positive since.

Minimising the risks will help avoid things like this in future, NZ protocols with Pakistan have helped minimise the risks a bit better. There hasn't been word of Windies players for their current test series having tested positive.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 14:49   #317
Jock McTuffnel v3
Posting God
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 10,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
Having better protocols in place than what have been available in SA must be a good step to avoid this. I would have thought the India tour would be to the UAE to be honest.

People getting vaccinated will in itself drop that risk, even if it doesn't eliminate it. I guess it is about minimising risks. The insufficient detail in minimising risks is probably the biggest issue in SA that has led to some players of theirs having already had Covid before the t20s kicked off and more of them having tested positive since.

Minimising the risks will help avoid things like this in future, NZ protocols with Pakistan have helped minimise the risks a bit better. There hasn't been word of Windies players for their current test series having tested positive.
Odds on the Lanka trip going ahead ? 50/50 to me. Maybe less.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 14:57   #318
Rebelstar
Established International
 
Rebelstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
It's been called off now.
Indeed. Suprisingly so, thought the cricket bubbles were pretty secure but apparently not.
Rebelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 15:12   #319
Rebelstar
Established International
 
Rebelstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,055
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/55171614

Not sure "It's 100% within the spirit of the game" as Morgan puts it, getting instructions by the 12th man passing you gloves is more or less accepted practice as you can't really do much about it, and everyone does it, but this reminds me of earpiece-gate, whether that was 1999 as per this BBC piece or I seem to recall one more recent but may have been more recent mention of 1999............

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/55153678

Although with Cronje may have been instructions from bookies......... Quite surprised the officials and other parties were ok with it this time around, if it was readily available information then why would it need to be coded if indeed it would be 'fair' to communicate it at all.

Might not be 100% against the spirit of the game, but I don't think any communications between those on the pitch and those off it via messages, earpieces etc is 100% within it either, as much as tactical loo breaks and sub fielder usage is..... (or isn't)

Think the aussies are within their rights to be aggrieved at the concussion sub they faced, although this piece does its best to justify the action

https://www.sportskeeda.com/cricket/...ubstitute-rule

Whether they bypassed any immediate replacing requirement via the rules, if Chalal is like-for-like they need to redefine it, a front-line spinner who can't bat replacing a useful all-rounder with a far inferior record who is in as much for his batting as putting in a few overs.



I guess with Murali not chucking a lot of people/laws in the cricket world see things as they/it wants to
Rebelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 15:14   #320
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 12,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
That may be true but it puts a huge question mark over future tours.

England have upcoming tours to Sri Lanka and then India for the world cup. These tours aren't in bio-secure bubbles.

Given the vaccines don't seem to prevent passing on the virus nor preventing those vaccinated from testing positive - where is the escape route ? Does testing stop once the teams have been vaccinated ?

None of the England team may ever get vaccines - what with being young and fit.

I wouldn't be betting against future games/tours being called off.
I'm sure sports teams will find a way of getting vaccinated privately pretty soon in the new year.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:16.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org