Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th December 2020, 16:21   #321
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 44,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
I thought the suggestion was that it was England back-room staff? Even if players have it without visible symptoms, Covid can affect lung capacity. There was a story about a pro-cyclist who was meant to be a contender in one of the tours a couple of months ago, who was doing worse than anticipated and he was tested positive. Although not outwardly showing any symptoms, it was almost certain that carrying the virus affected his performance.
Sorry, probably didn’t read the item carefully enough, saw “England” and may have jumped to conclusions.
__________________
As balanced and focused as the next man
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 16:30   #322
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 12,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer View Post
Sorry, probably didn’t read the item carefully enough, saw “England” and may have jumped to conclusions.
This report says the two members of the England touring party who have returned positive tests are "believed to be a coach and a player":

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ue-to-covid-19
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 16:54   #323
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 24,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
I thought the suggestion was that it was England back-room staff? Even if players have it without visible symptoms, Covid can affect lung capacity. There was a story about a pro-cyclist who was meant to be a contender in one of the tours a couple of months ago, who was doing worse than anticipated and he was tested positive. Although not outwardly showing any symptoms, it was almost certain that carrying the virus affected his performance.
Is the virus antagonistic towards PEDs?
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 19:54   #324
square leg umpire
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 10,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Is the virus antagonistic towards PEDs?
What's a PED?
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 20:12   #325
MRNC4.0
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 3,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by square leg umpire View Post
What's a PED?
acronym for Primary Educational Development.
MRNC4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 20:39   #326
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 24,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by square leg umpire View Post
What's a PED?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfor...cing_substance
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 20:54   #327
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 26,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
I did figure that out. In any case here is a footballer claiming his struggles with it. That said I don’t consider football to be purer than the driven snow. Whoops probably a bad phrase.....

https://www.goal.com/en/news/man-utd...j1pkhs7455e9hb
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 22:46   #328
square leg umpire
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 10,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
On google they had definitions ranging from economic terms to an EU directive. Glad to clear it up.
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2020, 10:50   #329
Jock McTuffnel v3
Posting God
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 10,800
So the England party can now fly home.

Was the tour canned based on a duff test - certainly wasn't cancelled due to anyone actually feeling unwell or even having symptoms.

What a farce.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2020, 11:17   #330
Notts Exile
Established International
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Berkshire
Team(s): Notts and Forest
Posts: 3,246
I'm not really sure we should be encouraging all this globe trotting and mixing really. Just call off all "elite" sports until we've got it sorted. Of course, our Governments want to create some illusion that life is remotely close to normal so that folk will ignore their handling of the crisis.

The money wasted on these events could be put to better use i.e. ensuring that third world countries get quicker access to the vaccine rather than encouraging rich sports people to continue with their lives regardless.
Notts Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2020, 11:37   #331
Aidan11
Harmisonesque
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere cold and wet
Posts: 43,634
It looks like the two that had a positive test have now retested as negative. The tour could probably have gone ahead after all.
Aidan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2020, 12:04   #332
tigertiger
Club Cricketer
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 167
My main conclusion is that to have confidence in a bubble - testing must be accurate.
tigertiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2020, 14:40   #333
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 12,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan11 View Post
It looks like the two that had a positive test have now retested as negative. The tour could probably have gone ahead after all.
The story sounds unbelievable to me. What are the chances that both of the two positive tests were false positives?
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2020, 15:12   #334
Notts Exile
Established International
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Berkshire
Team(s): Notts and Forest
Posts: 3,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanskritsimon View Post
The story sounds unbelievable to me. What are the chances that both of the two positive tests were false positives?
Let's see: which is most likely: ECB lying or Coronavirus tests are wrong?

I'd put my money on the latter on this one.
Notts Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2020, 15:23   #335
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 12,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notts Exile View Post
Let's see: which is most likely: ECB lying or Coronavirus tests are wrong?

I'd put my money on the latter on this one.
I don't think the bet will be accepted by your bookie.

If the chance of a false positive from an individual test is 1 in 20 then the chance of two individual positives both being false is 1 in 20 x 20, i.e. 1 in 400. It's been a long time since I did maths in earnest but I think that's right. Obviously the 1-in-20 figure is notional; but even so, if both individuals have now tested negative, surely the chance of one of those negative results being a false negative is higher than the chance of both of the positive results being false positives.
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2020, 15:46   #336
Jock McTuffnel v3
Posting God
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 10,800
Saffer cricket board must have lost a few quid.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2020, 18:14   #337
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 12,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanskritsimon View Post
I don't think the bet will be accepted by your bookie.

If the chance of a false positive from an individual test is 1 in 20 then the chance of two individual positives both being false is 1 in 20 x 20, i.e. 1 in 400. It's been a long time since I did maths in earnest but I think that's right. Obviously the 1-in-20 figure is notional; but even so, if both individuals have now tested negative, surely the chance of one of those negative results being a false negative is higher than the chance of both of the positive results being false positives.
I don't know how it works, is it more likely that if you have one false positive then you might get another from the same set of testing kits, same tester and people who have been in the same bubble? I'm probably talking scientific horseshite. I'm sure they'd all rather be playing than going out to stay in a bubble for no reason.

Anyway, Ben Stokes's dad past away which is incredibly sad. It must have been extra hard for him in the circumstances, even if it was expected it's never makes it any easier.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2020, 19:04   #338
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 12,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
I don't know how it works, is it more likely that if you have one false positive then you might get another from the same set of testing kits, same tester and people who have been in the same bubble?
Quite possibly. I don't know how it works either ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
Anyway, Ben Stokes's dad past away which is incredibly sad. It must have been extra hard for him in the circumstances, even if it was expected it's never makes it any easier.
That is sad news, I'm sorry to hear it. Best wishes to Ben and the whole family. Parents are irreplaceable but by gum his son did him proud.
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2020, 22:32   #339
square leg umpire
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 10,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
Saffer cricket board must have lost a few quid.
£1.5 million in fact.
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2020, 07:23   #340
Jock McTuffnel v3
Posting God
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 10,800
Telegraph has a bit of a hit job on the Saffers bubble.

May be arse covering by the ECB.

"But they were shocked to see the South Africa squad have a barbecue on their first night without observing social distancing and before the second round of testing, which would detect Covid-19 in one of their players. Another, who was also at the barbecue, tested positive almost two weeks later and England believe the barbecue may have been where the bio-bubble was breached."
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:44.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© Cricket247.org