Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th January 2021, 08:16   #461
Psyduck
Posting God
 
Psyduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester
Team(s): England, Lancashire, Man Utd
Posts: 17,715
Outstanding leadership from Tim Paine.
Psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2021, 08:23   #462
Psyduck
Posting God
 
Psyduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester
Team(s): England, Lancashire, Man Utd
Posts: 17,715
Famous series win for India after 36 all out in Adelaide; losing their skipper; and having virtually a whole XI ruled out through injury. They lost all 4 tosses too. Rishabh Pant is an absolute phenomenon.
Psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2021, 08:27   #463
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27,684
I had not twigged they lost all four tosses. Quite something.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2021, 08:29   #464
sweatysock
Established International
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Team(s): Sussex & Scotland
Posts: 3,996
watched the last hour or so this morning - what a thriller ! Terrific series win by India against all the odds. Well done to them
sweatysock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2021, 08:30   #465
Jock McTuffnel v3
Posting God
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 10,800
Good grief the Ozzies like to choke.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2021, 08:38   #466
Sir Coolerking
World Class
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 6,223
Stunning stuff from India, astonishing victory. I didn't give them a prayer before the series, even less so after the First Test. They should seriously consider keeping Rahane on as skipper. It will be interesting to see how many of this 11 keep their place against England (I really don't fancy our chances).

For Australia, big name players have serious question marks over them now.

Starc 11 wickets at 40
Lyon 9 wickets at 55

Wade, Harris, Burns and Head are not good enough. How long is Warner given to find form? I don't fancy his chances against Rabada and Nortje.

And then there's the skipper. Paine had a pretty good series as an individual, but not as a skipper. But who could replace him? There is literally no obvious candidate.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2021, 08:42   #467
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 26,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
Incredible stuff from what is close to India reserves who beat Australia. Imagine what fun this board would be if England spinner failed to win headingley, the last test and now this. It would be carnage!

Well done India.
I would like to think re the current band of spinners that we would simply say that ours weren't really good enough. We have seen up to a point, Lyon be on a bit of a decline over the last couple of years or so, but he's still performed successfully at various times. However, on a fifth day pitch that was providing considerable help, it has to be seen as a very disappointing performance off the back of a disappointing series. Hadn't Mitchell Swepson been performing well in the Shield? Maybe a squad option going forward.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2021, 08:45   #468
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 12,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyduck View Post
Outstanding leadership from Tim Paine.
That four byes towards the end was lovely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatysock View Post
watched the last hour or so this morning - what a thriller ! Terrific series win by India against all the odds. Well done to them
My pal in Bristol phoned me at 7am -- normally an unforgiveable offence. Now I am not going to get back to sleep. Absolutely phenomenal from India ... they were unbeatable in this series.
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2021, 08:54   #469
Greatbatch
World Class
 
Greatbatch's Avatar
Easy Southee
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): NZ
Posts: 6,075
Indian supporters will be tearing down their Dhoni posters and replacing them with Pant posters after today.

Dhoni was a great ODI batsman but he was an ordinary test batsman, Pant has stood up in tests here with some great test knocks including the one today.

Gill, Siraj and Washington were all impressive too with the way they stepped up to perform with some of India's senior players going down injured.

Credit to Rahane and Shastri, I thought India would've dropped their bundle after the Adelaide disaster, to turn it around and win the series is a great effort.
Greatbatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2021, 09:17   #470
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,925
I thought of working from home today but decided against it because I had seen too many of these close finishes where we end on the wrong side. When Gill first fell and then Rahane played too many shots and got out, I thought we were going to fold up soon. Then again, this is a determined team and they decided to buckle down for a while before opening up again. Pujara has been phenomenal in soaking up balls and tiring the Aussie quicks. Shubman Gill is an exciting prospect at the top of the order. He will have his challenges when there is more of a lateral movement, but he should do very well in the sub-continent. Rahane promised a lot as a batsman and delivered much more as a captain. As for Rishabh Pant, he brought that X-factor to the team and batting. He dreamed of a win at SCG and got it at the Gabba. The entire bowling unit delivered throughout the series. Each of them, regardless of their experience, managed to step up. Ultimately, a man who probably gets a lot more brickbats than he deserves, kudos to Ravi Shastri. Whatever the heck he did to the team after that 36 all out, it definitely worked. Congratulations Team India! To me, this is the greatest series I've watched/witnessed between any two teams. While the quality of cricket wasn't the highest, the drama provided across each session and each day has been great. The fact that India managed to win despite the ignominy of that 36, followed by injury to their entire first-choice bowling attack makes it all the more special.

For Australia, a time of introspection. Tim Paine had an ordinary series - as a wicket keeper and a captain. Their bowling struggled to press home the advantage against the Indian team which had their own batting woes. When the bowlers did, their fielders let them down. Smith and Labuschagne did find form, but India showed that Australia can be beaten even when those two score runs.

Later in the year, when India tours England, normal service would resume, but until then, I will be savouring this fine win by a fine bunch of cricketers!
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2021, 11:18   #471
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 26,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedMale View Post
I thought of working from home today but decided against it because I had seen too many of these close finishes where we end on the wrong side. When Gill first fell and then Rahane played too many shots and got out, I thought we were going to fold up soon. Then again, this is a determined team and they decided to buckle down for a while before opening up again. Pujara has been phenomenal in soaking up balls and tiring the Aussie quicks. Shubman Gill is an exciting prospect at the top of the order. He will have his challenges when there is more of a lateral movement, but he should do very well in the sub-continent. Rahane promised a lot as a batsman and delivered much more as a captain. As for Rishabh Pant, he brought that X-factor to the team and batting. He dreamed of a win at SCG and got it at the Gabba. The entire bowling unit delivered throughout the series. Each of them, regardless of their experience, managed to step up. Ultimately, a man who probably gets a lot more brickbats than he deserves, kudos to Ravi Shastri. Whatever the heck he did to the team after that 36 all out, it definitely worked. Congratulations Team India! To me, this is the greatest series I've watched/witnessed between any two teams. While the quality of cricket wasn't the highest, the drama provided across each session and each day has been great. The fact that India managed to win despite the ignominy of that 36, followed by injury to their entire first-choice bowling attack makes it all the more special.

For Australia, a time of introspection. Tim Paine had an ordinary series - as a wicket keeper and a captain. Their bowling struggled to press home the advantage against the Indian team which had their own batting woes. When the bowlers did, their fielders let them down. Smith and Labuschagne did find form, but India showed that Australia can be beaten even when those two score runs.

Later in the year, when India tours England, normal service would resume, but until then, I will be savouring this fine win by a fine bunch of cricketers!
Don't know why you think it is a given that India will fail so dreadfully in England. You seem to have more batting and bowling options for the series. Yes, the ball moves off the straight in a way that it tends not to in Australia but I would have thought India would have more to offer with both bat and ball.

It is not like England doesn't have frailties in all departments. On paper Australia has a more complete attack than what England does.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2021, 12:56   #472
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 24,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
Don't know why you think it is a given that India will fail so dreadfully in England. You seem to have more batting and bowling options for the series. Yes, the ball moves off the straight in a way that it tends not to in Australia but I would have thought India would have more to offer with both bat and ball.

It is not like England doesn't have frailties in all departments. On paper Australia has a more complete attack than what England does.
Quite, England struggled against West Indies and Pakistan last summer at home, and their batting and bowling are far inferior to India's (first choice or reserve).

A remarkable turn around by India and very akin to the 2005 Ashes, with the exception this was an away come back victory. The series win India recorded in Australia sans Smith and Warner probably overcame a mental barrier in their cricketing culture that they've exploited against the fuller strength Aussie's this time around. To keep on going while so many players fell by the wayside was quite remarkable.

As others have said, definitely a time of reflection for the home side. Their batting is shoddy and I fear that Starc and Lyon are over the hill. Lyon has always been questionable in tight 4th innings chases though, don't think he handles pressure very well. Either the quicks come through for him, or we have today or Headingley.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2021, 12:59   #473
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 901 Cummins 301 SCurran 58 Jhye 39
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 22,963
Am I right that the bowling attack in this Test had taken 0 wickets before the series started?
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2021, 13:03   #474
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 24,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
Am I right that the bowling attack in this Test had taken 0 wickets before the series started?
Yes, Thakur aside I think they all debuted this series and he'd only played one prior match.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2021, 13:23   #475
Sir Coolerking
World Class
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 6,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Quite, England struggled against West Indies and Pakistan last summer at home, and their batting and bowling are far inferior to India's (first choice or reserve).

A remarkable turn around by India and very akin to the 2005 Ashes, with the exception this was an away come back victory. The series win India recorded in Australia sans Smith and Warner probably overcame a mental barrier in their cricketing culture that they've exploited against the fuller strength Aussie's this time around. To keep on going while so many players fell by the wayside was quite remarkable.

As others have said, definitely a time of reflection for the home side. Their batting is shoddy and I fear that Starc and Lyon are over the hill. Lyon has always been questionable in tight 4th innings chases though, don't think he handles pressure very well. Either the quicks come through for him, or we have today or Headingley.
I would say England had reasons for their struggles and look to be improving, they would still start favourites.

You mention Lyon's 4th innings struggles.....unlike Pant who now averages 87!!
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2021, 13:30   #476
Rebelstar
Established International
 
Rebelstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatbatch View Post
Test cricket at it's finest here, all 3 results still a chance well into the last session.

Pant the key, if he stays there until stumps India will probably win, if he goes soon it could be an Australian win or it could be a draw.
I hate final days that become or are usually downright predictable, this was far from

I do normally say that to have a good chance of chasing down a target you want to have 4 wickets or less down when you get to the last 100 runs and India did just that. Plenty of sides fall away from say 100/1, they kept on going

Can't say I expected an Indian win from overnight score, has to be one of the better fifth day finales
Rebelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2021, 13:36   #477
Rebelstar
Established International
 
Rebelstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
I would say England had reasons for their struggles and look to be improving, they would still start favourites.

You mention Lyon's 4th innings struggles.....unlike Pant who now averages 87!!
Lyon tends to be fairly consistent across the four innings, 32.62, 34.47, 30.45 and 30.11 before this final day.

Not spectacular, not terrible. TBF 2/85 off 31 isn't bad, Starc and Hazlewood not making more inroads with 1/149off 38 between them is where I'd say they were more ineffectual

Spinners can win it on the final day, but not so often solo
Rebelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2021, 13:37   #478
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 901 Cummins 301 SCurran 58 Jhye 39
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 22,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Yes, Thakur aside I think they all debuted this series and he'd only played one prior match.
Unbelievable! Must be one of the most inexperienced attacks ever.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2021, 13:51   #479
Greatbatch
World Class
 
Greatbatch's Avatar
Easy Southee
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): NZ
Posts: 6,075
Pujara's innings today shouldn't be underrated, very gutsy 50, batted for over half the day, faced over 200 balls, a lot of which he copped on the body.

He occupied the crease, wore down the Aussie bowlers and allowed the likes of Gill and Pant to play their shots at the other end.

Pant will get a lot of the plaudits for his briliiant knock towards the end of the day but it was Pujara that laid the groundwork earlier in the day.
Greatbatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2021, 14:16   #480
Greatbatch
World Class
 
Greatbatch's Avatar
Easy Southee
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): NZ
Posts: 6,075
And so ends my summer of being an Indian supporter, as a Kiwi that barracks for every team that plays Australia I'll be back to barracking for England again.

I'm already rehearsing my Barmy Army tunes for next summer, having trouble rhyming words with Labuschagne and Pucovski though.
Greatbatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:43.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org