Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > Other International Teams
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th October 2007, 15:17   #21
Fatslogger
Self Confessed Mentalist
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hitchin
Team(s): England and Liverpool
Age: 42
Posts: 43,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponce De Leon View Post
I only said he wouldnt be very good on Strictly come dancing .
Is this a bad time to mention people not knowing about drugs taking them not being punished and still getting promotion and contracts for Surrey
Yes, it's a bad time. He was an ignorant country boy with no knowledge of what was going on around him. Senior people kept telling him what to do and before he knew it he found himself on a bit of grass with a ball in his hand and some blokes carrying bit of wood and standing obscuring other bits of wood in front of him.
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Fatslogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 17:12   #22
Rey
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Castleford
Team(s): Yorkshire
Posts: 14,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponce De Leon View Post
Is this a bad time to mention people not knowing about drugs taking them not being punished and still getting promotion and contracts for Surrey
Yes, considering the thread has nothing to do with Asif. One might reach the conclusion you're only raising the matter to wind-up Pakistani fans. Of course, you'd never do that leon, would you?
__________________
"He has sat on the fence so long that the iron has entered his soul."
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 17:31   #23
Huda
International Material
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Bangladesh
Posts: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponce De Leon View Post
I only said he wouldnt be very good on Strictly come dancing .
Is this a bad time to mention people not knowing about drugs taking them not being punished and still getting promotion and contracts for Surrey
What has Asif got to do with Afridi? Nothing related to this thread and once again you have to mention something about Pakistan to Asif's drug problem in a thread that is to with the choice of a captain.
Huda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 17:55   #24
High Druid Nathan Barley
Posting God
 
High Druid Nathan Barley's Avatar
Don't look at me with those freak show eyes
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Shrewsbury
Team(s): Essex, Southend
Age: 42
Posts: 12,012
Wasn't Asif named vice-captain previously, relevant to a discussion on the vice-captaincy I'd suggest. Why is he no longer up to the job?
__________________
Then one day it happened, she cut her hair and I stopped loving her.

Self defence is not simply about punching someone repeatedly in the face until they're unconscious, is it?

She took all I had and then she fed me dirt.
High Druid Nathan Barley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 18:41   #25
GameOvais
County Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 695
Leon's just like that, loves to bring up done and dusted issues. As for why Asif was overlooked, well for an inexplicable reason (corrupt board selectors) Butt was given it. Butt has never been regular in either forms of the game. However you've probably not seen it, Afridi is one the one who is running the team at the moment, he is the one they are turning to and he is the one who seems to be running this side, Malik is just holding the official title and giving press conferences and interviews.
GameOvais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 19:24   #26
Stick the Hitman LEEEEE ON
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameOvais View Post
Leon's just like that, loves to bring up done and dusted issues.
Thats me Captain Droneonandon the man with no name
Stick the Hitman LEEEEE ON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2007, 05:36   #27
Fatslogger
Self Confessed Mentalist
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hitchin
Team(s): England and Liverpool
Age: 42
Posts: 43,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponce De Leon View Post
I certainly would
If someone wishes to be wound up by what I say they will be .Perhaps you should take a wander over to the rugby thread where I have spent the last few weeks winding up in turn Aus NZ and SA fans and in return have been given what for .
.
Excellent stuff. No self delusion here.
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Fatslogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2007, 20:35   #28
F.K
Established International
 
F.K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Karachi, Pakistan
Team(s): Pakistan,England
Age: 43
Posts: 4,112
Send a message via MSN to F.K Send a message via Yahoo to F.K
Quote:
Originally Posted by daz View Post
So at the time of the explosion YOU knew exactly what it was then because nobody else did hence the potential disaster
Who says nobody knew? two guys in a commentary box?

there is a very distinct sound to a big explosion perhaps u should come here and i can demonstrate to you the difference. Those who hear it often know


For the matter, i am not going to start any more threads on Pakistan here. Every time i do all people do on the thread is talk **** about my team, like no one else has any players who have ever done anything shady at all. This thread had absolutely nothing to do about the said incident which the player in question has served time for but it was brought up and so were other incidents. You might think that my entire nation and team are cheats but i do not. If people here cannot have a viable discussion without lowering their voices and whispering "cheats" "cheats" they can do it on someone else's thread not mine, im done.
__________________
Blog : Faisal Kapadia
F.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 09:13   #29
Apex
International Material
 
Apex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Woolloomooloo
Team(s): India
Posts: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by F.K View Post
Who says nobody knew? two guys in a commentary box?

there is a very distinct sound to a big explosion perhaps u should come here and i can demonstrate to you the difference. Those who hear it often know


For the matter, i am not going to start any more threads on Pakistan here. Every time i do all people do on the thread is talk **** about my team, like no one else has any players who have ever done anything shady at all. This thread had absolutely nothing to do about the said incident which the player in question has served time for but it was brought up and so were other incidents. You might think that my entire nation and team are cheats but i do not. If people here cannot have a viable discussion without lowering their voices and whispering "cheats" "cheats" they can do it on someone else's thread not mine, im done.
Don't get wound up FK. If it is your opinion that Afridi will make a good vice captain nothing wrong with that, but others also have the right to voice their opinion, lets just agree to disagree and move on ?

My 2 cents: Cricket is an international game watched by millions, any behaviour that is unacceptable on and off the field will be magnified a thousand and will go against the offender, thats why Shane Warne was never made the captain, cause at the end of the day a person with question marks over his behaviour should not be leading a country in any sport for that matter.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 20:05   #30
Marauding Bison
Administrator
 
Marauding Bison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 16,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatslogger View Post
It was a potential disaster in the sense that it wasn't immediately clear at the time that it was an entirely trivial incident. There was an explosion, after all. It could have been a bomb. The fact that it wasn't would not have been clear to Afridi immediately, would it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by daz View Post
So at the time of the explosion YOU knew exactly what it was then because nobody else did hence the potential disaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by slop View Post
You trying to wish it away with ridicule? Come on F.K, you know what I mean. I can't believe I have to explain it. We now know what exploded and that no harm was done but in the immediate aftermath, no-one knew what had happened and at that point (Douglas Adams refers to this principle I think) disaster was still a possibility - as you say 150 plus lives can be taken in one swoop - and instead of concern Afridi's first thoughts were of pitch tampering. You cannot justify that behaviour and punishment, while fitting, doesn't erase what happened.

I did not see the media coverage of the gas bottle blowing at the time but I get the distinct impression that the media coverage made it all seem like a rather bigger deal than it actually was - essentially because they obviously have to be a bit careful about categorically stating whether it was a bomb or not until they are actually certain. They therefore end up filling in time with speculation.

The reason why i did not see the media coverage was because I was there. The force of the blast (such as it was) was perceptible from the other side of the ground where I was seated. Although security went into overdrive and the scenes out in the middle were a bit chaotic (the batsmen started to bolt for the pavilion but were stopped by their security bloke running out telling them to stay out in the middle), it only took a few seconds for us to realise what had happened and that it was not a bomb: there was no flash, no smoke and no smell of anything burning. Afridi very probably cottoned on every bit as quickly as we did (and very possibly more quickly - he might have seen or heard co2 gas bottles blow before as i understand that in Pakistan although it is not exactly common it is not wholly unknown either).

Not sure that it matters anyway. I'm not about to start defending Afridi as it was still a deliberate and cynical attempt to cheat. His conduct afterwards - ie to deny it until confronted with incontrovertible evidence of his appalling conduct then reportedly apologise in private a couple of days later - did him no credit.
__________________
Not having been born to Conservatism, it has never occurred to me to think of it as a form of original sin. I simply became convinced that the things that had drawn me into political activism the belief that every individual should be able to fulfil his potential, and that the liberation of the human spirit should be the primary aim of a free society were better served by the economic and political programme of what was called the Right. Janet Daley

Last edited by Marauding Bison : 28th October 2007 at 20:09.
Marauding Bison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 20:17   #31
F.K
Established International
 
F.K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Karachi, Pakistan
Team(s): Pakistan,England
Age: 43
Posts: 4,112
Send a message via MSN to F.K Send a message via Yahoo to F.K
I was not trying to defend Afridi, i know what he did was totally uncalled for and wrong. Same with Asif Or Shoaib, does not mean however that every thread on Pakistan has to go back to these three dubious characters. I am not getting wound up, it is simply a refusal by me to indulge in petty name calling and silly fighting over this. England has players that have cheated in the past, check out how many times they are mentioned on any English cricket related threads and you will get my drift. If some people here want to make a lobby against my team then so be it, at least i will not participate in provide a forum for it.

My question is this and this is a relevant one. Do we come here for the express purpose of winding each other up or to have good viable conversation about cricket? I do not mind a divergent point of view, heck i have been laughing off the various snide comments for months now. However there does come a point when a person asks himself what for?

In the end all i asked was whether he would make a good vice captain, based on his recent cricketing ability that is all i asked.
__________________
Blog : Faisal Kapadia

Last edited by F.K : 28th October 2007 at 20:20.
F.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 20:40   #32
square leg umpire
Legendary
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 8,799
while I don't know the ins and outs of Pakistan cricket it seems that Afridi is no doubt a volatile charicter. On the one hand the responsability of the vice captaincy could be the making of him. On the other if it doesn't he could be a problem. It depends how brave the selectors are feeling.
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 20:50   #33
Slater
International Material
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Herefordshire
Team(s): England
Posts: 1,891
Quote:
the gas tank of a coca cola fountain exploded
Did litres of coke shoot up into the air?
Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 20:57   #34
F.K
Established International
 
F.K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Karachi, Pakistan
Team(s): Pakistan,England
Age: 43
Posts: 4,112
Send a message via MSN to F.K Send a message via Yahoo to F.K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Did litres of coke shoot up into the air?
hahaha no... it was the gas tank which powers the fizz in the fountain that went up.

__________________
Blog : Faisal Kapadia
F.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 21:18   #35
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 28,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by F.K View Post
I was not trying to defend Afridi, i know what he did was totally uncalled for and wrong. Same with Asif Or Shoaib, does not mean however that every thread on Pakistan has to go back to these three dubious characters. I am not getting wound up, it is simply a refusal by me to indulge in petty name calling and silly fighting over this. England has players that have cheated in the past, check out how many times they are mentioned on any English cricket related threads and you will get my drift. If some people here want to make a lobby against my team then so be it, at least i will not participate in provide a forum for it.

My question is this and this is a relevant one. Do we come here for the express purpose of winding each other up or to have good viable conversation about cricket? I do not mind a divergent point of view, heck i have been laughing off the various snide comments for months now. However there does come a point when a person asks himself what for?

In the end all i asked was whether he would make a good vice captain, based on his recent cricketing ability that is all i asked.
I think his character is relevant. Shane Warne was overlooked for the Aussie captaincy on the basis of his character, Mike Gatting was sacked for getting familiar with a barmaid, Andrew FLintoff was sacked for falling off a pedalo.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 21:19   #36
slop
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): South Africa
Age: 42
Posts: 18,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by F.K View Post
My question is this and this is a relevant one. Do we come here for the express purpose of winding each other up or to have good viable conversation about cricket? I do not mind a divergent point of view, heck i have been laughing off the various snide comments for months now. However there does come a point when a person asks himself what for?
Understandable. I don't know if yo remember but I've also gotten into arguments with posters over their repeated mentioning of certain events whenever Pakistan is involved. I think though that when the question of leadership comes up, a person's character is relevant and therefore past actions (whether punished or not) are relevant too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.K View Post
In the end all i asked was whether he would make a good vice captain, based on his recent cricketing ability that is all i asked.
If we ignore certain significant aspects and look at cricket ability only? Maybe. He is still a volatile character on the field with respects to the way he bats and I'm not sure he's the greatest example for the other players. I would also be concerned with his state of mind given his short "retirement" from test cricket not long ago.
slop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 22:32   #37
Marauding Bison
Administrator
 
Marauding Bison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 16,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by F.K View Post
hahaha no... it was the gas tank which powers the fizz in the fountain that went up.
along with the poor lad who was sat next to it, who was rumoured to have been quite badly injured.
__________________
Not having been born to Conservatism, it has never occurred to me to think of it as a form of original sin. I simply became convinced that the things that had drawn me into political activism the belief that every individual should be able to fulfil his potential, and that the liberation of the human spirit should be the primary aim of a free society were better served by the economic and political programme of what was called the Right. Janet Daley
Marauding Bison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 05:45   #38
F.K
Established International
 
F.K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Karachi, Pakistan
Team(s): Pakistan,England
Age: 43
Posts: 4,112
Send a message via MSN to F.K Send a message via Yahoo to F.K
Quote:
Originally Posted by slop View Post
Understandable. I don't know if yo remember but I've also gotten into arguments with posters over their repeated mentioning of certain events whenever Pakistan is involved. I think though that when the question of leadership comes up, a person's character is relevant and therefore past actions (whether punished or not) are relevant too.



If we ignore certain significant aspects and look at cricket ability only? Maybe. He is still a volatile character on the field with respects to the way he bats and I'm not sure he's the greatest example for the other players. I would also be concerned with his state of mind given his short "retirement" from test cricket not long ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauding Bison View Post
along with the poor lad who was sat next to it, who was rumoured to have been quite badly injured.

Alright already i got your point and i understand.
__________________
Blog : Faisal Kapadia
F.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2007, 13:48   #39
Cricket Guy
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,727
Anyways, Younis Khan has been appointed vice captain for the Indian tour. A far more sensible choice than the previous two - his place is secure in the team and he is, relatively, untainted by scandal.
Cricket Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2007, 18:26   #40
F.K
Established International
 
F.K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Karachi, Pakistan
Team(s): Pakistan,England
Age: 43
Posts: 4,112
Send a message via MSN to F.K Send a message via Yahoo to F.K
Finally some sense prevails... me thinks the PCB has run out of whiskey.
__________________
Blog : Faisal Kapadia
F.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:41.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org